Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I like it? I mean, it definitely looks more thought out than the original and I can reasonably see some sort of story take place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Moola posted:

I felt compelled to actually put something in Mookie's void canvas, I'm not a very good artist though and I got bored half way through

It's actually funny that you drew that because I was thinking the same thing, a well established fishing town would have something like a wharf.
the houses would be raised up above the water level on a stone foundation so it would not only protect them from the water, but allow them to build heavy buildings such as warehouses and ship yards near the water.

It's yet another example of how bored Mookie is with this story, he created the world but has no interest in exploring it or asking questions about it.

He doesn't ask "What would a fishing town look like in a fantasy world?" so he just draws stone houses practically on top of the water.
He doesn't ask "How would someone who can manipulate ink so well she makes clothes and vehicles out of it carry her things?" so her stuff just vanishes until she needs it.

It's why Snout, despite one of his characteristics being curiousity, never askes questions or explores anything.
He has no interest in it because his creator has no interest in it.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 6, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the wide city view, it does have a warf. A giantic stone warf towering above the boats next to it.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dang, I used the wrong word, not the dealie that juts out into the water but the doohicky built along the shoreline.

That said, I didn't notice just how drat tall that wharf is until you mentioned it, that's actually hilarious.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, in the establishing shot of the city it's impossible to reconcile the relative sizes of the houses, the people (I assume that's what the specs on the beach are meant to be), the wharf, and the ships on the water.

And while we're on the subject, I think the boats are an emphatic demonstration of how incurious and/or lazy an artist Mookie is. If you're drawing a fantasy seaside village with a bunch of boats floating offshore how loving disengaged do you have to be to render something as intrinsically visually fascinating as a sailing ship as a formless blob of a silhouette.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Good artistry be damned, you created a far more believable beach than Mookie did.

Happy Landfill posted:

I like it? I mean, it definitely looks more thought out than the original and I can reasonably see some sort of story take place there.

thanks, I'm not great at drawing with a mouse and paint.net doesn't have good brushes so cheers x

I think the major complaint I have with Mookie's "vistas" is he never bothers to think about what he's drawing, he doesn't care about the story behind locations at all. He decided he wanted to draw a beach town, so he throws a few houses together, draws some water, blob boats, DONE!

even though I was just loving around with my doodle, I very quickly started thinking about things like "what materials are these houses made out of?" "is there any flood protection?" "does anyone sweep the stone to keep the sand out of the houses?" "What do people do at this beach?" "are these houses or shops or?" etc

I just cannot wrap my head around a man who is a professional artist, draws for a living, and even after 20 years completely fails at grasping the basic fundamentals of artwork

Mookie is the king of "no thoughts, head empty"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pulsarcat posted:

It's actually funny that you drew that because I was thinking the same thing, a well established fishing town would have something like a wharf.
the houses would be raised up above the water level on a stone foundation so it would not only protect them from the water, but allow them to build heavy buildings such as warehouses and ship yards near the water.

It's yet another example of how bored Mookie is with this story, he created the world but has no interest in exploring it or asking questions about it.

He doesn't ask "What would a fishing town look like in a fantasy world?" so he just draws stone houses practically on top of the water.
He doesn't ask "How would someone who can manipulate ink so well she makes clothes and vehicles out of it carry her things?" so her stuff just vanishes until she needs it.

It's why Snout, despite one of his characteristics being curiousity, never askes questions or explores anything.
He has no interest in it because his creator has no interest in it.

I missed this post and just wanted to say

:same:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dude can't even be bothered to give Snout an inkwell for his pen lovely paintbrush. Mookie just does not give a poo poo about these kinds of details. Items just vanish and reappear whenever they are needed for the plot. Like Snout doesn't even have his precious diary on him anymore, unless he jammed it in his overalls.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm willing to accept it's a magic paintbrush that always has ink. It'd be nice if the comic actually said that, but it seems like a fairly mundane magical item that makes sense to exist in the world.

Now the paintbrush and the diary being in hammerspace, along with everything else Snout owns until it needs to exist for the plot, that's much more egregious.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Considering how much of this comic is dedicated to absolutely nothing happening a scene where his "friends" bought him a magic brush as a gift and he was heartwarmed by receiving gift first gift ever would have been cool

Would have taken 1 page, and we've had so many to spare

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Considering how much of this comic is dedicated to absolutely nothing happening a scene where his "friends" bought him a magic brush as a gift and he was heartwarmed by receiving gift first gift ever would have been cool

Would have taken 1 page, and we've had so many to spare

The Ink Witch is RIGHT THERE, she could literally give him some sweet-rear end magic brush she made for him herself. Corpsemommy has no money, but she could say she wants to replace his notebook that was ruined in the lake. (instead of it being magically okay) Arudak could team up with her to find him a nice one and buy it. Together, we have a team-sourced gift that would be very useful!

you could even like... do poo poo with that! Maybe he can't find anyone for a while after he gets distracted by the Vegetables and starts to feel down because he made a sacrifice (look, we're assuming a lot of things are better than they are here, let's say there was one) for their sakes, and he suddenly feels unneeded. But then they come back and surprise, they were gone because they were trying to do something nice for him while he was distracted and wanted it to be a surprise!

Change it around. There was that plot point where he felt useless. There was a plot point where his notebook was destroyed, which would leave him unable to communicate and even more "useless" since we apparently don't have any sign language in these parts. Have the others stop what they're doing to get him a new notebook and a magic pen. Then instead of "They're holding you back," have the water lady's revelation be "You're holding them back." That's both a fact and something that would play into his insecurities massively. Instead of immediately being resolved, this nags at him. They get into the city and he kinda wanders off without them when they aren't looking. But they all stop what they're doing again to find him, worried. They have a Discussion like humans do, and they tell him that they were happy to stop to help him, even if it delayed their goals. That book was his voice, so it was important. I don't know, maybe you want to make a statement about disability? Have them point out that his value isn't merely in contribution to their goals, he has value as a person. Just because he hasn't been able to contribute much so far, that doesn't mean he's any less important than anyone else. Then you've strung these things together in an arc, and it can maybe even tie in to your dumb gimmick!

god, this is such a void of planning and ideas, it's like watching a bad game of Wheel of Fortune. So many things could fit in the blanks and work, but for some reason, this guy's guessing poo poo like X and Z.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

god, this is such a void of planning and ideas, it's like watching a bad game of Wheel of Fortune. So many things could fit in the blanks and work, but for some reason, this guy's guessing poo poo like X and Z.

Guessing X and Z still indicates an intention to engage with the subject matter in a purposeful way. What Mookie is doing is more akin to pissing and making GBS threads on the blank squares.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Just realized that "You're holding your friends back" would be an absolutely perfect way for seaweed orc to test Snout's resolve, holy poo poo yeah you're right. It also would allow Mookie to actually write some plot that would address (probably) one of the biggest criticisms people make about this poo poo.

The problem of course is that her saying that would probably make Snout sad for a while, and we can't have that, and it also couldn't be immediately resolved.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why do that when we can spend time and panels to underscore exactly how much he loves nummy veggies?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just realized that "You're holding your friends back" would be an absolutely perfect way for seaweed orc to test Snout's resolve, holy poo poo yeah you're right. It also would allow Mookie to actually write some plot that would address (probably) one of the biggest criticisms people make about this poo poo.

The problem of course is that her saying that would probably make Snout sad for a while, and we can't have that, and it also couldn't be immediately resolved.

The other problem is it would require Mookie to realize that Snout actually is holding everyone back and that simply being "nice" isn't exactly a trait worthy of praise, it's the baseline.

It would mean realizing that being kind and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout actually go out of his way too help out others.
It would mean realizing that being generous and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout to actually sacrifice something more than like five minutes of his time.
It would mean realizing that being gentle and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout to show compassion and humility.

But most of all, it would mean realizing that Snout is an awful protagonist whose only contribution too the group is occasionally stomping his foot when mom and dad fight.

I can't look into Mookies soul or anything, but God drat this comic feels like it's written by someone who listens to his friends complain about their day and then praises himself because he's always there for them.

Also I would like to add, it's hilarious that the Seaweed Seer apparently told the others things that hurt them and made them think hard about themselves and what they want.
But the only thing she told our hero is that he's the goodest of the goodboys and gave him yet another opportunity to prove how nice he is with no effort required on his part.

This entire drat comic has been a string of people giving Snout doting smiles while praising him.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 7, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

City streets of a port city: featureless white void

Has Mookie drawn a panel where snout just sucks and fucks some tubers?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I want to follow the story of the lady trying to sell yams to a tiny musketeer. I think that's got potential.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

The other problem is it would require Mookie to realize that Snout actually is holding everyone back and that simply being "nice" isn't exactly a trait worthy of praise, it's the baseline.

It would mean realizing that being kind and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout actually go out of his way too help out others.
It would mean realizing that being generous and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout to actually sacrifice something more than like five minutes of his time.
It would mean realizing that being gentle and being nice aren't the same thing since it would require Snout to show compassion and humility.

But most of all, it would mean realizing that Snout is an awful protagonist whose only contribution too the group is occasionally stomping his foot when mom and dad fight.

I can't look into Mookies soul or anything, but God drat this comic feels like it's written by someone who listens to his friends complain about their day and then praises himself because he's always there for them.

Also I would like to add, it's hilarious that the Seaweed Seer apparently told the others things that hurt them and made them think hard about themselves and what they want.
But the only thing she told our hero is that he's the goodest of the goodboys and gave him yet another opportunity to prove how nice he is with no effort required on his part.

This entire drat comic has been a string of people giving Snout doting smiles while praising him.

Yeah, this really is the ultimate "nice guy" comic. Not just in the romantic sense, but a guy who does absolutely gently caress all in his interpersonal relationships, but still expects people to praise him for being so "nice". Up to and including two women taking their clothes off and cuddling with him for no reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly I'm getting kinda disturbed with how much Mookie portrays Snouth, who is deaf, as people often portray characters with severe learning difficulties.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I'm getting kinda disturbed with how much Mookie portrays Snouth, who is deaf, as people often portray characters with severe learning difficulties.

they're literally the same in Mookie's brain

there's a reason Snout wears the same outfit as Simple Jack

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, this really is the ultimate "nice guy" comic. Not just in the romantic sense, but a guy who does absolutely gently caress all in his interpersonal relationships, but still expects people to praise him for being so "nice". Up to and including two women taking their clothes off and cuddling with him for no reason.

This...really is the thing. It's incredibly self-indulgent to the point that it's a little uncomfortable, like I'm reading someone's personal fantasies. I mean, most art is self-indulgent to a point and obviously I don't want to psychoanalyze the guy but there's a sincerity to all this that makes things feel really personal. It's like reading someone's self-insert, wish-fulfilling fanfic. I believe it's what the kids today call "cringe".

Like seriously, the comic where he's hugging everyone at the library feels like something someone would write in high school.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that makes me feel bad making fun of Mookie, because that means his ultimate wish fulfilment fantasy is... having friends and getting hugs a lot...

but then I remember part of his fantasy is getting hugs from non-consenting naked women, whom he has also gotten naked around without their consent and I don't feel bad anymore

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think we can actually be charitable here. They are all cool with Naked Snout Cuddle Time, they just don't need to say so because Mookie already knows it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

With Mookie, it's the repitition of the themes that gets grating. With DD, it was how the comic validated Dominic and martyred him alternatingly. With Snout, it's the switching between childlike praise and situations centred on sexual naivete that just feels wrong, and the repeating pattern becomes exhausting.

Chapter 24: Around the World Part 6: The Wild Edge

the thing that strikes me the most about the wild edge history Mookie gives us here is it Tvtrope-iness. It reminds me of the old mock threads that would look at the creative writing threads in TV tropes. People would bring in these elements with no thought to context or what it might mean for the world and would assemble stories like Lego pieces. That’s what Mookie has done here.

What does it mean that the lands were one? What exactly are the wild edge territories the edge of? Why was Magic different in the past?

Not everything has to be fully thought out when making a story, but again here I’m struck by how little context we're given as to what exactly this territory we are venturing into is. And this time it will matter because the Wild Edge is going to be featured again, not just in the legacy, but in the main DD comic, as well.

this isn’t in the worst way to reintroduce the character, I must admit. Though again, Dominic and Luna manage to luck into getting into a unique experience from all the other tourists. I also don’t think that Mookie gave any thought as to why humans would have an outpost here, because it’s not really clear why Callan would bother, other than to give tourists safari adventures to view the natives. Incredibly problematic, once you see what the hobgoblins are.

I’ll admit that this is nitpicky, but it speaks to the degree to which Mookie thinks of the world in a very Western, American sense. These tourist destinations don’t exist as lived locations in their own right, they exist only as destinations for Dominic and Luna.

Luna really wants to see the hobgoblins. Luna is a colonialist.

The bluntness of Mookie’s understanding of misogyny rears its head again. This entire conversation at the beginning is ridiculous. It’s also a total waste of time because it resolves itself instantly.

Here comes the Mookiedex of random doodled critters. There’s two types of longnecked dinosaurs, a sleepy pig, some children in rabbit costumes, and a few poorly sketched nautiluses. For a land of wonder, full of monsters these things are decidedly unimpressive

I think the question comes up again as to what exactly the purpose of this tour is. Again, obviously overthinking, but the fact that Dominic and Luna are continuously exposed to what appears to be real danger begs the question as to who exactly the target audience for this cruise is. Why would anyone sign up for this if the danger was so present?
Here’s where we find out that the hobgoblins are actually a people with clothing and civilization and everything, that Luna was desperate to see like animals in a zoo.

Just all of this is it is amazingly tone deaf given how respectful Mookie thinks he is to other cultures. And I know that these are fantasy creatures, not a native ethnic group, but still. It was vaguely problematic when George did it with the Ewoks, but at least they were part of the main story and weren’t just part of a safari tour that Han and Liea were on.

Luna even describes them as a proud species, and doesn’t for one second stop to think about how terrible she’s being.

I’ll admit this works as comic relief, but again it feels unearned.

again here I have to point out that the second panel is one of those unique Mookie-isms that I just cannot get over. Stunt experienced some jokey suffering, but suffering nonetheless. So Mookie has to underline how his precious little protagonists suffered as well. They laughed at her! And their laughter sounds like hyenas! Like Snout’s softboy kindness, the individual moments of Mookie doing this matter less then the sum total, because if it just was once in a while it wouldn’t grate nearly as much as this constant repeating pattern.

And of course, these creatures are punishing Stunt for his misogyny, which I guess means that they heard him call Luna a dumb broad and that’s where they decided to beat him with sticks.

I find it funny how Mookie had to gender stereotype these little furry dog people. Of course the women can’t fight directly, that’s not ladylike. And then another sex joke, this time about gawking at foreign mating practices.

I realize that I’m being very uncharitable here, and that’s some of these jokes have definitely been made in other works, and I might even find the joke funny in those works. But I'm just done giving Mookie the benefit of the doubt at this point in my read through.

I thought that they were only dressing Luna up because she insulted them. Did Dominic insult them? When did that happen? Whatever, who cares. Mookie obviously doesn't.

And of course the natives are man-eaters. More thoughtless stereotypes. (I'm joking, but it's funny that Mr. progressive indulges in all these serotypes only with literally dehumanized, beastial people. As if that makes it better). Also if they were going to eat them why didn't they restrain them in any way? Mookie got bored with this set piece so off to the next one!

The next one happens to be the very first mongrelfolk were introduced to! A L33Tspeak writing mutant who's so hosed up his mouth connects to the edge of his face in every panel! Gross! I guess the mongrelfolk either keep their city hidden or civilized themselves at the same time the orcs did for the legacy timeline to make sense.

And of course, it's charming how Dominic treats this sentient being like an exotic bird he just saw. I just hate, given the centrality of Callan to the story and how it seems to have outposts and bases everywhere, that Dominic and Luna approach it from such a colonialist perspective. I swear you could make a meme of that one picture of William and Kate on the palanquin in Africa, and Dominic and Luna would fit right in.

And here's another strip that only Mookie could produce. Luna talked about the heat affecting some people more than others, but stunt quite clearly has a sunburn, or at least a deep red tan. The heat is not what causes that though, it's sunlight. So why did Mookie bring up the heat? Is he trying to explain why stunt might take his shirt off when he's working outside? Something that no one needed an explanation for? Or is he saying that the heat caused stunts weird tan lines?

Here's another strip that feels like it's a direct response to a callout Mookie experienced. I don't remember if the forums were commenting on Dominic's incredibly condescending attitude towards another sentient being, but it's probable that they were. Mookie inserts that criticism into Stunt's mouth, and has the victim assure us that, no, it is in fact Stunt that is wrong, and that asking probing questions of this being that you just met, that you have a weird academic fixation on, is perfectly fine actually.

What follows is just a series of random humour about magic being wild and wacky. I don't even have much to say on it, other than its boring, even for this interminably boring meaningless arc.

Hey look, spit based magic! So the lake orc wasn't even original in doing that.

What a hosed up observation Dominic.

This brings up again the issue of the mongrelmen as a joke, versus an actual core piece of the canon. As a joke in the one-off, it’s mildly funny that they write like they’re meme people. But the more sustained it becomes the more the portrayal becomes like a person with a learning disability. The choice to make Snout a mongrelperson and continue with the jokey writing becomes a lot more problematic when you use them more. And I think Mookie thinks he’s progressive by including Snout at all, but he doesn’t seem to realize how often make Snout the butt of the joke, or how often he portrays him in a condescending way. That's the core of a lot of Mookie's problematic writing, thoughless execution and an unearned self-confidence that he can handle delicate issues.

It wouldn’t be a Deegan story if there wasn't a chance for Dominic to show his magnanimity. By swooping in to rescue Stunt in this case. I don’t know how Mookie thinks tourism works in the real world but I’m pretty sure nearly getting your clients killed will get you fired regardless of whether or not they thought it was cool. But then I’m imagining that this world that is otherwise equivalent to our own would have something like insurance.

There's that Mookie humour again. If you don't say the word, just imply it, that's clever ;).

Again, I will say that this emotional beat is good, isolated from the rest, and if I liked any of these characters, I would probably like this send off.

I don't even hate this contrivance, or the fact that bort is apparently a super bad rear end. this last little tail-end would be fine, if the rest of the story held up. There's even more of a point to this mini arc than previously, since we will see Bort again.

Overall this was probably the "best" part of the vacation arc.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 7, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Libra posted:

I want to follow the story of the lady trying to sell yams to a tiny musketeer. I think that's got potential.
The bin or perhaps wagon of huge marshmallows and the implied heist at the giant novelty toothpick store (did the non-Euclidean cooper filch them, or is he being set up by the smudge-faced man selling blancmanges off a blanket?) are compelling as well.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

And 200 years later they cease being rare and are populous enough to build a city and a society to support it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, I hate it so much. Reminds me of an AITA post where a woman was like "I was worried my deaf-born child may never be able to live on their own!" It's DEAFNESS! it just means you can't hear! In Snout's case, he also can't speak, but that also doesn't matter to how your brain works!

If he was just said to be childish because he grew up literally alone his whole life, maybe that'd be something? Like a "kid raised by wolves" thing? But he isn't, he's just deaf and mute.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maybe Snout was raised by wolves, we don't know, though it would be unlikely given that he can read and write. It's because Snout has no backstory, because he isn't actually a character. Mookie didn't stop to think "What was it like for him growing up? Why is he living alone? Where is his family?" He just went "I want to do a deaf character" and that was the complete extent of Snout's character creation. "He is deaf." Snout just popped into existence, wholly formed, because Mookie needed him to.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
raised by deaf but literate wolves

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dabir posted:

I think we can actually be charitable here. They are all cool with Naked Snout Cuddle Time, they just don't need to say so because Mookie already knows it.they're dead.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8if4eU0ir4

Beelzebufo posted:

Overall this was probably the "best" part of the vacation arc.

Unfortunately it led to one of the worst stories of the original run. And then it led to Legacy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

He put all that detail on Bort then committed not one bit of it to memory.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
God DD in colour looks so loving bad lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Specifically DD coloured by Mookie

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
You cannot polish a turd.

Also who else even colored it?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

???

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Clearly Snout learned to read because the librarian of that weird-rear end open air library taught him.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It seems like using fish as a fertilizer or selling them to be eaten by other people would defeat the entire moral purpose behinds vegetarianism.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I guess this is some quick backpedaling after he realized that it's weird for his vegan race to have a fishing village. Maybe someone pointed it out to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're obligate vegetarians, not moral ones.