Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

fill in the rest with a rotation of Overall...

Good Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's easy. It works fine. Training isn't as complex as the game tries to make you believe. :shrug:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's easy. It works fine. Training isn't as complex as the game tries to make you believe. :shrug:

If someone's asking for advice why suggest the "lol I dunno" training session that works every attribute equally to every player in the squad?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because the advice is "it doesn't really matter, just make sure you give them enough rest and match prep". The rest it seems to make extremely little difference which session types you pick?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I the only one that gives training responsibilities to the rear end man and only do individual training on promising young players?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I tried that but, as usual, the AI is astoundingly bad at it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The ai training schedules are designed to murder your team. Games on Thursday and Saturday? Looks like we've got time for match practice on Friday!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

Am I the only one that gives training responsibilities to the rear end man and only do individual training on promising young players?

I don't think assistants even schedule time for any individual training. Most of the week templates are straightforward attack vs defence unit work, or physical hell week.

Remember to check players are in the right training units every few months.The game gets it 95% right automatically but there can be issues with midfielders or if you're retraining positions.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Turns out there is no Touch version this year and it sounds like leaving a tonne of stuff to your rear end man won’t be a good time?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Does everyone have a launch save lined up already? Please post your ideas so I can steal them/get inspired. I think I'm going to do a typical fallen giant save with Deportivo La Coruna unless something else hooks me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Xtanstic posted:

Does everyone have a launch save lined up already? Please post your ideas so I can steal them/get inspired. I think I'm going to do a typical fallen giant save with Deportivo La Coruna unless something else hooks me.

Swansea have some good kids this year. Wilfried Bony's eldest son is a first year scholar he wasn't in the beta because I hosed up entering his date of birth.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doggles posted:

Video game DRM supplier Denuvo forgot to renew their domain name. Anyone buying a game that uses their DRM that hasn't already authenticated their copy is locked out of playing.

https://twitter.com/alexbuckland96/status/1457380056716783619

careful buying the game until this is resolved

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got Cefn Druids to 2nd place in the league with my second season. Still can't get one over TNS, and I doubt I'll be able to until the club has some massive improvements, which'd only happen if we got the 3mil or so from getting to a European group stage and went pro, which also isn't happening. Certainly not with attendances of 250 people.

Full backs continue to be a problem, with no-one really settling in, and the one guy that looked like he could make waves getting injured for months twice. Other than that, with the mid-season readjustment I tried playing with a gegenpress. I hadn't done that with FM21 because it felt almost cheaty. Not sure how cheaty it is in this engine, the games varied wildly with people scoring absolute crackers against us but us mostly out-scoring them apart from a final-league-games collapse (which I think was more about the pressure.) I definitely heard people complaining about, "I've got half my team out injured!" which I think is the balance to high intensity gameplans. If you run your players dead they're going to get injured, so maintaining it for an entire season needs a deep squad, with rotation. I can't see someone surviving the English Championship with it's eleven-hundred games a season.

I said last year I wouldn't stick with Cefn Druids, but in the end I did. I've got about €800 to spare in next year's wage budget, but I'm not sure how we improve our results. TNS being fully pro just doesn't seem beatable. On top of that the Druids' board won't let me do another coaching badge, because they fear I'd gently caress off. And they're dead right about that. If I can get a Continental C license out of them I'll go with another year, and maybe leave mid-season. Otherwise I'll be on the scratcher I think.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Really good news, the game pass/windows store version of the game has the "this can be modded" line, which should hopefully mean that once you enable the modding option accessing the game files should be no problem

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

hopterque posted:

Really good news, the game pass/windows store version of the game has the "this can be modded" line, which should hopefully mean that once you enable the modding option accessing the game files should be no problem

No more Zebre's for you!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It was possible in previous years too (and with every other windows store/game pass game) it was just VERY annoying and a fair amount of work. Now you just have to hit the enable mods button.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hopterque posted:

Is there the database editor in the Game Pass version of the game?

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there the database editor in the Game Pass version of the game?

Doesn’t look like it, which I think will eventually push me to Steam.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

tragic_ethos posted:

Doesn’t look like it, which I think will eventually push me to Steam.

https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/1457807457082826752?s=20

Annoying because I use the editor to save me the 30 mins to 1 hr I spend trying to sort out my staff at the beginning of each save...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ragingsheep posted:

Annoying because I use the editor to save me the 30 mins to 1 hr I spend trying to sort out my staff at the beginning of each save...

It's like you people don't even want to play a spreadsheet management simulator.

I limit work on the first day of each new save by turning off first transfer windows. Then I hire a Performance Analyst and Sports Scientist if the club doesn't have them, and leave the rest for after preseason.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Wait, FM22 launched on gamepass? gently caress, I wouldn't have bought it if I realised I could have just had it for free. (And legally/ethically at that)

Then again, that would break my steam played time of shame streak.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

sassassin posted:

It's like you people don't even want to play a spreadsheet management simulator.

I automate my spreadsheets occasionally. :shrug:

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/1457807457082826752?s=20

Excellent, I can wait a week and then do the dumb thing where I create myself as a high potential player in the database :downs:.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't see the ball during corner kicks ever.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
They've really nailed the "ahh gently caress was that offsides, oh wait no, the goal is allowed" feeling that comes after you score.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IMB posted:

They've really nailed the "ahh gently caress was that offsides, oh wait no, the goal is allowed" feeling that comes after you score.

Just watch the linesman.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's so artificial how finishing goes to hell once you're one result from winning something/getting promoted. Over 2.0 xG a game and not scored in my last 3. Hitting the woodwork at least once a game. A dozen corners.

Hopefully my rivals bottle it soon so the match engine can go back to normal. 13 points clear with 6 to play, I could go on holiday and get promoted. Maybe should.

edit: I didn't realise but it was an invincible season until the "win and you're promoted" game. Then I lost two in a row.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 9, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's your tactics mate

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Snatched a draw with the 3rd placed team thanks to near post corner cheese. My first goal in 4 games. Dominated the second half but all my players have the yips.

Next up 2nd and 3rd play each other. The game has been moved forward a day to be televised so I will be Attending rather than watching with the lads on the team bonding evening (we're skipping match preview). If Nykobing win I'm promoted, but they're closing the gap in their title challenge...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I am promoted thanks to Nykobing's 2.01m tall centre forward scoring an early header.

Swansea got relegated. Vladimir Ivic couldn't rescue them from the mess Russell Martin put them in. Alas.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tragic_ethos posted:

Excellent, I can wait a week and then do the dumb thing where I create myself as a high potential player in the database :downs:.
Do a good enough job and you can add yourself to your favorite game:
https://footballmanagerdaily.com/football-manager-stories/madeira-story-championship-manager-myth

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Can you turn off the VAR stuff?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, by managing in leagues without it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

if you’re looking for the game to be fun i would suggest one of the many many other ones

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Has anyone else noticed the Xbox Game Pass version says it's a Beta? Is that normal? Is the Steam one saying the same thing?

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 10, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I went month-to-month with Cefn Druids, hoping something would open up in another team. I hadn't actually applied for anything but we did win out first round of the UEFA Conference League, bagging us decent cash. I waited until it hit our bank account (it went up to €700k from about €250k) and asked about doing a coaching course. "If you get more badges you'll leave us," they said. And they were very correct on that. Then, I pressed them about the team going professional from semi-pro, the only way I could see us really improving and beating TNS. They took a while thinking about it, then came back to me with a, "Yeah, nah." I insisted, they said no. I argued, they said no. I said, "If you don't go pro I'm quitting." To which they said, "Right, gently caress off then!" And I was unemployed.

Can you spot when I left?

That left me with a National A badge (gently caress all) and a minimal amount of rep from getting to Europe with no rep from winning trophies (because I didn't win any) or any from getting promoted (because we started in the top flight in Wales.) I kept trying places higher rated than the Welsh leagues, none were having me, not even shortlisted. The game/my assistant was recommending amateur clubs. A few of the English League 1 and 2 clubs said they were impressed by stuff like my possession based football or the support from my squad, but they didn't give me an interview. That brought me to the Irish Premiership, not ranked that far above Wales.

I was offered an Interview for Waterford (sixth of ten at the near-end of the Irish Summer league.) They gave me a job. I did it on the condition where they'd let me do coaching badges, but something I've noticed is that you can't negotiate to include them as a promise when you're negotiating a contract, or at least I haven't figured it out. That meant I had to do a board request when I arrived. Thankfully, after some convincing, they agreed.

Now I'm at Waterford. We have a starting back-four (but with no CB backups.) A little depth in AML/AMR. And no depth in central midfield or with strikers. Also, we have gently caress all wage or transfer budget to play with, in fact we're over-budget. Even worse we have a fuckload in our u19s but they're all completely useless.

The focus now (we have one game left in the League as I've come in) is to clear out the deadweight in the team. I don't have a deep enough squad to play my high pressing game, like I had built Cefn Druids into (with a busy season causing injuries seeming to be the balance to the fairly op high pressing tactic,) so it might be back to a slow, low-tempo game that won't get me to the very top but will let me survive a season and maybe build. I'm not quite sure. The other option is to go for broke, maybe try and get two badges while I'm here, and leave at the end of next season for better pastures presuming we don't get serious improvements in wages.

Also, Waterford is a loving shithole. Almost as bad as Dublin.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed the Xbox Game Pass version says it's a Beta? Is that normal? Is the Steam one saying the same thing?

I had to kill the Xbox app and reboot it to get an update to appear

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Had a bunch of clubs swoop in offering those stupid loving loan deals that have a future option to make the deal permanent. I deleted those clauses and made them non-negotiable, and they still accepted, but I just noticed after waving my last player off that there's a still a '20% of next sale clause' in there. Have I just hosed it and given away three of my best young prospects for free? Does deleting the future fee clause not convert it to just a standard loan?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
About six or seven games into the season I'm doing complete shite with Waterford. We were predicted top-half, which I'm just about managing. We're dominating on XG but not converting as often as we need to while there's plenty of cheap goals against us turning wins into draws and draws into losses. I think this might partly be the stamina effect on a high pressing team, because it's not long balls over or anything like that you can adjust for. I get the feeling teams are too defensive against us, and we're not patient enough in breaking them down for decent chances, so I'm going to mess around changing to my slow tempo passing game. Even if that means abandoning a bit of tactical familiarity.

The other thing I think is screwing us is how the expectation calculation is worked out. We have a lot of players who are around the same middling level, and no real stand-outs. It rates the team highly because we have a lot of them, then "punishes" me for not playing my "first team" when really I don't have a "first team" but a team it's entirely possible to rotate. (I'm convinced not playing your first team, as calculated by the game, has a really big effect in how the match shapes up. It's how you get cupsets and the like against lower level teams.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Starting the season with 16 players because I refuse to pay a living wage to players who are only marginally better than what I have.