Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s&t=479s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

StoryTime posted:

There's only so much internal combustion you can do.

Thats why they switched over to external combustion.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

tbh the stretch of cable between the two male plugs seems superfluous. Just make it a singular plug with male prongs sticking from both ends.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing people always forget when talking about suicide cords is that if you're using it as an adapter to plug in your xmas lights because you strung them up backwards... that means you now have an exposed hot male plug at the other end just hanging in your bushes somewhere.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Entropic posted:

exposed hot male just hanging in your bushes

Don't doxx me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Don't doxx me

How many giantesses can there be?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

monolithburger posted:

Speaking of watercraft, saw this on the Reddit front page today.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IckySpectacularApatosaur-mobile.mp4

I wonder how bad it'd be if you hosed up the barrel roll they do here.
They literally made Professor Calculus's shark sub

Given that that they show it completely submerging, that means the cabin's got to be airtight, which really makes me wonder about failure modes and how you're meant to escape if the engine/electronics die or if your propeller gets stuck in weeds or something like Tintin did.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Entropic posted:

Given that that they show it completely submerging, that means the cabin's got to be airtight, which really makes me wonder about failure modes and how you're meant to escape if the engine/electronics die or if your propeller gets stuck in weeds or something like Tintin did.

brb, gonna get a shark drunk on pirate rum

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure it's got massive positive buoyancy like other toy subs. Looks fun.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ded posted:

Thresher took over a day to sink past crush depth. :smith:

Sonar data indicates an implosion at April 10 0918. USS Seawolf heard some things that some people think indicated that there were still people alive on the Thresher as late as April 11 2030, but it did not take over a day to sink and wind up on the seafloor. And even those sounds are very disputed:

quote:

Meanwhile, on the message board of the Integrated Undersea Surveillance System Caesar Alumni Association (IUSSCAA), and in response to Amick’s video analysis of the newly unclassified Seawolf documents, Bruce Rule, a naval acoustic and SOSUS expert who testified at the Thresher inquiry, has stated:

“This YouTube video is false, the Seawolf report the presenter is reading from is correct, but the final report certified it was false readings. Seawolf was confused by the active sonar and noise created by the destroyers and the diesel submarine Sea Owl searching for Thresher on 11 April 1963, the day after she was lost. She mistook all sounds from the searching ships as banging on the hull and sonar pings from Thresher. It was a mistake.”

quote:

There was a declass of all the official documentation of it.

I don't believe that's the case. Formerly classified data from the court of inquiry has been being released in batches, but I don't believe all of the data from all sources has been released.

quote:

Scorpion died fast as hell because a torpedo had a hot run and blew up inside the boat.

That's portraying a certainty that doesn't exist. A probable cause was deemed to have been a torpedo explosion in the tube, but there are other probable causes, such as hydrogen release and detonation during a battery charge cycle, which was then ejected from the sub but continued to run hot, circled, and detected and homed in on the boat. We don't know to any real certainty what sank the Scorpion, and the official inquiry said the investigation was inconclusive (although "torpedo blows up inside" was considered the most likely).

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Entropic posted:

Excuse me? My left ear doesn't hear that well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xakura posted:

Pretty sure it's got massive positive buoyancy like other toy subs. Looks fun.

Yeah, it submerges because the fins are upside-down hydrofoils and it only generates enough force to do that at high speed. If the engine quits it'll just float to the surface. It's also cylindrical so it's self-righting if the center of gravity is low enough.

As for getting trapped underwater, if they gave it a scuttle valve that would equalize the pressure and then you could pop the hatch off.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Plus, it probably isn't even airtight. Water can only leak in so fast and it's only underwater for a few seconds at a time. If there is any kind of gasket at all it'll give the bilge pump more than enough time to catch up once you're above water again.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 8, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Copypasta from Wikipedia article "Crime in Antarctica" follows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Antarctica

quote:

While crime in Antarctica is relatively rare,[1] isolation and boredom affect certain people there negatively and may lead to crime.[2] Alcoholism is a known problem on the continent,[2] and has led to fights and indecent exposure.[3] Other types of crimes that have occurred in Antarctica include illicit drug use,[2] torturing and killing wildlife,[2] racing motorbikes through environmentally sensitive areas,[2] assault with a deadly weapon, attempted murder, and arson. Sexual harassment also has been reported.[4]

Robberies are rare and unlikely in Antarctica because people entering cannot bring many belongings onto the continent,[3] and because very little use for money exists in Antarctica.[3]

Okay, so it's a relatively safe tourist destination... but let's look at the listed crimes.

• 1959 – The Vostok Station (станция Восток), then a Soviet research station in Princess Elizabeth Land, was the scene of a fight between two scientists over a game of chess.[9][2][10] When one of them lost the game, he became so enraged that he attacked the other with an ice axe.[10][9][2] According to some sources, it was a murder,[10][9][2] though other sources say that the attack was not fatal.[11] After a KGB investigation, chess games were banned at Soviet/Russian Antarctic stations by the Antarctic Soviet. [9][10]
  • 12 April 1984 – The Almirante Brown Station (Estación Científica Almirante Brown) is an Argentine research station located on the Coughtrey Peninsula by Paradise Harbor. The station's original facilities were burned down by the station's leader and doctor on 12 April 1984 after he was ordered to stay for the winter.[12] The station personnel were rescued by the ship Hero and taken to Palmer Station, an American research station on Anvers Island.[13] The stations are about 58 km (36 mi) apart by air.
  • 9 October 1996 – At McMurdo Station, a fight occurred between two workers in the kitchen.[14] One worker attacked the other with a hammer.[14] Another cook tried to break up the fight and was also injured.[14] The two victims were Tony Beyer and Joe Stermer.[14] Both of them required stitches.[14] FBI agents from the United States were sent to McMurdo Station to investigate and make an arrest.[3] The suspect was flown to Honolulu, Hawaii, where he faced charges of four counts of assault with a dangerous weapon.[15] He pleaded not guilty.[16] No further information was publicly available.
  • 11 May 2000 – At the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, an American research station located at the South Pole, Australian astrophysicist Rodney Marks had a fever, stomach pains, and nausea.[17] On May 12, he died.[18] It was believed at the time that Marks died of natural causes.[17] It was the onset of winter, so his body could not be transported for six months.[17] His body was put into a freezer at the observatory.[17] After the six months were over, Marks' body was flown to Christchurch, New Zealand, for an autopsy.[17] The autopsy concluded that he had died from methanol poisoning.[17] How the poisoning occurred remains a mystery.[17]
  • 9 October 2018 – A stabbing occurred at the Bellingshausen Station (Russian: станция Беллинсгаузен, romanized: stantsiya Bellinsgauzen), a Russian research station on King George Island.[19] The perpetrator was Sergey Savitsky (Сергей Савицкий), a 54-year-old electrical engineer.[20] He stabbed Oleg Beloguzov (Олег Белогузов), a 52-year old welder, in the chest[20] multiple times.[21] According to some sources, the attack occurred because Beloguzov was giving away the endings of books that Savitsky checked out at the station's library.[22] Other sources say that the attack occurred in the dining room when Beloguzov teased Savitsky by telling him that he should dance on top of the table to make money.[21] Both accounts say that Savitsky was believed to be intoxicated at the time of the attack.[21][22] They had worked together at the station for about six months,[19] and Savitsky was apparently having an emotional breakdown.[23] Being in a confined space may have been a major cause for this.[23] Both Beloguzov and Savitsky had had problems with each other for several months.[21] Beloguzov was sent to a hospital in Chile.[19] Savitsky surrendered to the manager of the station,[20] and 11 days later was placed on a flight back to Russia,[20] where he was placed on house arrest until December 8 or 9.[19][23] On 8 February 2019, Savitsky was at a preliminary hearing at the Vasileostrov District Court of Saint Petersburg.[24] Savitsky was remorseful and was willing to accept a criminal punishment rather than rehabilitation.[24] Beloguzov was forgiving of Savitsky and proposed dropping the case.[24] The public prosecutor was supportive of Beloguzov's proposal, and noted that Savitsky was remorseful and had no prior criminal record.[24] Judge Anatoly Kovin decided to drop the case.[24]

That last one sounds like at least there was a happy ending, they kissed and made up and that was that. :angel: Just heed this warning: if you go to a polar station or oil drilling platform or submarine or a Mars expedition, don't spoil the endings of the books or shows that your mates are using to cope with conditions. Stabbing a spoiling troll should be considered self-defense under those circumstances.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 7, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat Hatter posted:

Plus, it probably isn't even airtight. Water can only leak in so fast and it's only underwater for a few seconds at a time. If the is any kind of gasket at all it'll give the bilge pump more than enough time to catch up once you're above water again.

These things have been around for nearly a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41kFAL0UUo

They're called Seabreachers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cat Hatter posted:

Plus, it probably isn't even airtight. Water can only leak in so fast and it's only underwater for a few seconds at a time. If the is any kind of gasket at all it'll give the bilge pump more than enough time to catch up once you're above water again.

It's completely airtight. Even if the canopy opens in use and the cockpit fills up, the body is airtight as well so it can't sink.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nenonen posted:

That last one sounds like at least there was a happy ending, they kissed and made up and that was that. :angel: Just heed this warning: if you go to a polar station or oil drilling platform or submarine or a Mars expedition, don't spoil the endings of the books or shows that your mates are using to cope with conditions. Stabbing a spoiling troll should be considered self-defense under those circumstances.

They did nothing wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

These things have been around for nearly a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41kFAL0UUo

They're called Seabreachers.

The fish paint jobs are fine but the ones painted like WW2 fighters (and calling it "pilot training" that will allow you "fly solo") are just laaaaaaaame as hell.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/tDZ7Crn.mp4

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Phanatic posted:

Sonar data indicates an implosion at April 10 0918. USS Seawolf heard some things that some people think indicated that there were still people alive on the Thresher as late as April 11 2030, but it did not take over a day to sink and wind up on the seafloor. And even those sounds are very disputed:

I don't believe that's the case. Formerly classified data from the court of inquiry has been being released in batches, but I don't believe all of the data from all sources has been released.

Navy Releases Eighth Round of USS Thresher Inquiry Documents
April 29, 2021 10:40 AM
The Navy released the eighth set of documents from a previously classified investigation into the April 10, 1963 loss of USS Thresher and its crew of 129 sailors off the coast of New England.

A freedom of information lawsuit from retired Navy Capt. James Bryant, a former Thresher-class submarine commander, compelled the Navy to release the documents on a rolling basis.

The following is the sixth of 12 volumes of proceedings of the court of inquiry ordered by the commander of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. The other documents can be found here.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20986255/tresher9_10_reduced.pdf

https://news.usni.org/2021/07/09/navy-releases-latest-round-of-uss-thresher-inquiry-documents

This stuff came out a few months ago. It has actual logs and is a pretty crazy read.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/pVaeD7F.gifv

“Now it’s locked in place” :ohdear:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/OjhdOTt.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I get the message they are trying to convey, but this is staged.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That is what you get for using a comically oversized angle grinder.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That is what you get for using a comically oversized angle grinder.

The real OSHA is whatever happened to make the 4.5" disk on the grinder transform in midair into the 7" disk that """hit""" the guys face shield.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

birth is disgusting

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/pVaeD7F.gifv

“Now it’s locked in place” :ohdear:

I had a ladder like that, but never tried it in that position. It felt rickety as it was in step ladder and extension ladder modes. It was also much heavier than a step ladder and it was a royal pain to set up as an extension ladder (you had to extend it fully, usually on the ground, before lifting it into position, making sure that you don't snag a tree or a power line on the way).

I left it at the house when I ended my lease. The next person can use it when cleaning the gutters. I'm going to get some traditional ladders next time I'm in a situation where I need them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Phanatic posted:

USS Seawolf heard some things that some people think indicated that there were still people alive on the Thresher as late as April 11 2030, but it did not take over a day to sink and wind up on the seafloor.

I'd like to hear more about the time travelling adventures of uss seawolf

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bmx6x3f.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The truly weird/disassociating thing is reading about submarines on Wikipedia because the editors anthropomorphize the subs and refer to them as "she" while somehow removing/absolving the people involved.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uthor posted:

I had a ladder like that, but never tried it in that position. It felt rickety as it was in step ladder and extension ladder modes. It was also much heavier than a step ladder and it was a royal pain to set up as an extension ladder (you had to extend it fully, usually on the ground, before lifting it into position, making sure that you don't snag a tree or a power line on the way).

I left it at the house when I ended my lease. The next person can use it when cleaning the gutters. I'm going to get some traditional ladders next time I'm in a situation where I need them.

Same exact story with mine. I used it in full extension once before deciding it was out of here. Had a friend who wanted it in spite of my warnings, gave it to him for half off and still felt a little guilty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thatbastardken posted:

You think they gave up after the Philadelphia Experiment failed?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

thatbastardken posted:

The crazy thing is how they were able to retrofit a nuclear reactor into a boat originally built in 1913.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

You think they gave up after the Philadelphia Experiment failed?

yes..."failed..." :ninja:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Uthor posted:

We've got one of those ladders, too, and I loving love it. It's great for trimming tall hedges and stuff, so you don't need to reposition it every meter, or for getting fruit off low trees without, again, needing to constantly reposition the ladder, and in some cases it also frees up your second hand.

Though, obviously, yes, get a loving quality one or you've just got a suicide hazard.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

nice KOODGE!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wasabi the J posted:

I imagine it has to do with a lot of people being recently traumatized by mass casualty events.

Like seriously, just the news triggered my memories of watching the Station fire video. loving horrible.

Yes. It's this. I know that this is the OSHA thread, but this is very very recent Station club/Love Parade/Ghost Ship warehouse fire sort of event, and I wanted to give people the decision to click on it if they wanted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Cat Hatter posted:

I'll never understand why do many people want to put up their lights without plugging them in first. Because they saw Clark Griswold do it? His lights famously didn't work at first either.

Even if you put them up correctly, what if the string has a problem? You that eager to diagnose/replace bulbs from a ladder?

Yes, I used to sell Christmas lights to idiots. How can you tell?

Man these stupid leds nowadays you can't even change them out when they go dark, I was just thinking of that movie and how I'd like to be able to swap individual broken lights instead of choosing to use as is or discard the whole thing.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Man these stupid leds nowadays you can't even change them out when they go dark, I was just thinking of that movie and how I'd like to be able to swap individual broken lights instead of choosing to use as is or discard the whole thing.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Entropic posted:

The thing people always forget when talking about suicide cords is that if you're using it as an adapter to plug in your xmas lights because you strung them up backwards... that means you now have an exposed hot male plug at the other end just hanging in your bushes somewhere.

Thank you and gently caress everybody in the thread who didn't say this