Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Russia and China are evil aliens, is it the 1970s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

At least this week we're being given enough time to take in whats happening.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Every time he says "REPAIR!" all I think is "we look for things. Things to make us go"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm glad the general stayed up all night making up his elaborate plan of... having all the troops run straight towards the sontarans on foot, trying to stab them with bayonets, and occasionally shooting his single cannon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd say that the handprint security being terrible is ridiculous... but it is the Sontarans!

SiKboy posted:

I'm glad the general stayed up all night making up his elaborate plan of... having all the troops run straight towards the sontarans on foot, trying to stab them with bayonets, and occasionally shooting his single cannon.

A British General, sending troops needlessly into death!?! :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I've still got a human in this fight" :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently the Sontaran Commander hasn't heard of "shifts". To be fair, the Sontarans would probably lose their minds at the idea of having to stand guard instead of fight, but.... come on!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently the Sontaran Commander hasn't heard of "shifts". To be fair, the Sontarans would probably lose their minds at the idea of having to stand guard instead of fight, but.... come on!

Yeah, 2 shifts would make it 15 minutes out of 27 hours which doesnt seem unmanageable.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Flight Bisque posted:

Thanks to Pluto tv, last night I watched my first McCoy serial (Paradise Towers) and lemme just say, red kangs are best.

No further notes to give.

Still not bothering with the current season, but, given my av and text I have to jump in here and say that "Paradise Towers," while not having Ace, is a perfect example of what I want out of Doctor Who: an inspiration from a real science concept or sci-fi classic while completely failing to actually comprehend it, then taking that in a completely batshit direction that even a show with resources would have difficulty portraying, and making up the difference with levels of ham far beyond the recommended daily allowance.

See also: "The Pirate Planet,", "Logopolis," "Kinda," "Enlightment," etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I remain intrigued. The Sontarans strategy was incredibly stupid but I guess that's par for the course for Sontarans, who also assumed that they were dealing with primitive idiots with firesticks who would never in a million years figure out where their base was, but I like the Sugar Skull aliens whose primary concern seems to be looking as fly as possible including hiring some big dude to hang out in the background being giant and not much else.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So that was... Okay? Not great, but better than last week. At least the plot was more or less coherent, even if it did rely entirely on the sontarans being loving morons who havent heard of the simple concept of "not having the entire army sleep at the same time", and it did involve a battle that they very much did not have an adequate budget to make look good (one cannon, zero horses, and a thousand ctrl+C ctrl+V sontarans).

Again, they need to give up on the Sontarans being any kind of serious threat. They've been jokes too often in nu-who for us to take them as anything other than comic relief or, at a push, henchmen for the actual villain of the week. If they want to use them like they're the cybermen or daleks they need to give them a rest for a few years then bring them back with a revamped look. Revamping the look does absolutely gently caress all to rehabilitate them as threatening villains if you have them missing at point blank range AND being beaten up by pensioners bopping them on the head with cookware IN THE SAME EPISODE. A loving phone socket has a sliding thing to protect it when there isnt a lead in it, the sontarans never thought of that for the neck vent thing? Plus the revamped heads make them look like the bastard child of a turd and a potato.

Dan being saved by doggy ex machina was narratively poo poo, but made me laugh so it gets a pass. I wasnt entirely clear on why he was scouting the docks, he has no relevant skills or abilities, and its not like most companions where they can be like "I'm the only one who knows something about this because of my travels with the doctor", because hes met the doctor for about 20 minutes and everyone else in liverpool has more experience with the sontarans than he does. I like Disco Red Skull and his sister, the sugar skull gang, I look forward to the Passenger taking off his mask and revealing hes actually... gently caress I dont know, Dan, The Doctor or the Master at this point. Comedy prediction is the Curator. He just turned up and was off hand introduced ("this is the passenger, hes here now too" essentially) and either thats the worst storytelling ever (and believe me I'm not ruling that out), my memory is going and he was introduced last week and I forgot, or theres a dramatic reveal coming.

tldr: More coherant as a story than last week, but still nowhere near a top tier episode. Broadly inoffensive so in the top half of chibnell eps.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I like Disco Red Skull and his sister, the sugar skull gang, I look forward to the Passenger taking off his mask and revealing hes actually... gently caress I dont know, Dan, The Doctor or the Master at this point. Comedy prediction is the Curator. He just turned up and was off hand introduced ("this is the passenger, hes here now too" essentially) and either thats the worst storytelling ever (and believe me I'm not ruling that out), my memory is going and he was introduced last week and I forgot, or theres a dramatic reveal coming.

Absolutely, they're really enjoyable so far and I adore that Disco Red Skull (I love that name, thank you for this gift :)) just randomly showed up with this giant dude out of nowhere and the show just rolls with it. He definitely wasn't introduced last week so yeah there will be some big reveal to come, but it's hilarious that he's just there all of a sudden.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Sontaran stuff was fun.

After the timeless child stuff thing, am I the only one worried that Chibnall is going to be all the frozen people on the planet time where the real time lords all along, those guys on Gallifrey were just posers ALL ALONG!!!, but hopefully not.

Also was Whittaker's hair noticeably different this episode?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

After the timeless child stuff thing, am I the only one worried that Chibnall is going to be all the frozen people on the planet time where the real time lords all along, those guys on Gallifrey were just posers ALL ALONG!!!, but hopefully not.

Taking the most charitable view, I'm going to assume it'll be something that stands distinct in some way that he wants to jam into the show's continuity, like time didn't used to exist and everything was just a chaotic flux of everything and nothing at once and then time got established thanks to the Mouri or whatever, the universe assembled into something resembling order with the Sugar Skull Gang imprisoned to prevent them unraveling it, and then Rassilon and Omega came along however long later and invented time travel and Rassilon elevated selected Gallifreyans into Time Lords etc.

The less charitable view is that he's had some "what if actually THIS!" idea in his head since he was a teenager that he's determined to stamp down onto the show to CHANGE HOW WE SEE THE DOCTOR FOREVER and we just have to put up with it for another 7 episodes till RTD comes back and just ignores it and it just becomes a "remember that weird time they did this dumb thing?" part of the show's history, like "half human on my mother's side" or the Other or the Mobius Doctors or the 1st Doctor and Susan being refugees from the 50th Century or whatever.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Was a better episode overall, but again the the music soundtrack volume was deafening

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Right, what's going on here? I've enjoyed both episodes so far. Yeah I agree with some of the criticisms I'm reading here, but the thing is though, I'm enjoying the episodes, so my criticisms don't matter and aren't cutting through the fun. The episodes feel like New Who again, instead of whatever they felt like before, which was something like how Mastermind felt when you were six, tedious and meaningless at the same time. But this, I'm laughing at the jokes, the ones they intend to make! I'm enjoying the characters, I like the performances what is going on here, seriously, what has changed to allow this? Is production different now, is the writer's room happening in a different way, what? WHAT???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This season is like 98% written by Chibnall, so yeah the writing is very much a single person's vision for better or worse, as opposed to the writer's room setup they went for the last two seasons that doesn't seem to have really worked.

And yeah, for all my criticisms, the last two episodes have been enjoyable and I find the overarching plot intriguing so it's definitely a big step-up from the rather aimless feel of the previous season (which with only mild hyperbole feels like it aired 45 years ago now), and Dan is a great addition to the cast.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Taking the most charitable view, I'm going to assume it'll be something that stands distinct in some way that he wants to jam into the show's continuity, like time didn't used to exist and everything was just a chaotic flux of everything and nothing at once and then time got established thanks to the Mouri or whatever, the universe assembled into something resembling order with the Sugar Skull Gang imprisoned to prevent them unraveling it, and then Rassilon and Omega came along however long later and invented time travel and Rassilon elevated selected Gallifreyans into Time Lords etc.

The thing is 'Rassilon was bad actually' is ground that has been well trodden by the expanded universe stuff, and has been part of the TV lore with the Timothy Dalton episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

The thing is 'Rassilon was bad actually' is ground that has been well trodden by the expanded universe stuff, and has been part of the TV lore with the Timothy Dalton episodes.

I'm not sure if you took my post to be an endorsement of Rassilon or something or I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here? But yeah Rassilon has been shown to be a monster as far back as The Five Doctors where the 2nd Doctor reveals that the image of him as a benevolent and wise ruler masked some incredibly hosed up things he did. Hell, maybe it even gets brought up in The Three Doctors? I can't remember if it is revealed there that Rassilon knowingly let Omega suffer for eternity in order to create time travel or that got retconned in later? Hell, I can't even remember if Rassilon is named in that serial or if he didn't get mentioned until the 4th Doctor's time?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 7, 2021

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Jerusalem posted:

The less charitable view is that he's had some "what if actually THIS!" idea in his head since he was a teenager

I've been saying since Timeless Child that I reckon he actually had it in his bag that day he was on telly as a spotty teen having a go at the Who writers, typewritten and stapled together, just in case they asked if he had a better idea. And I was only a bit joking.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure if you took my post to be an endorsement of Rassilon or something or I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here? But yeah Rassilon has been shown to be a monster as far back as The Five Doctors where the 2nd Doctor reveals that the image of him as a benevolent and wise ruler masked some incredibly hosed up things he did. Hell, maybe it even gets brought up in The Three Doctors? I can't remember if it is revealed there that Rassilon knowingly let Omega suffer for eternity in order to create time travel or that got retconned in later? Hell, I can't even remember if Rassilon is named in that serial or if he didn't get mentioned until the 4th Doctor's time?

Oh what I was saying is that Chibnall acts like that's some huge twist in the Timeless Children, even though the audience already knows that information, most likely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah that was another weird thing, why the woman who found the Timeless Child wasn't Rassilon as opposed to ... I don't know, Chibnall's names are utterly forgettable, they keep saying what the Sugar Skull Gang's names are and I can't remember apart from "The Passenger".... since Rassilon is absolutely the kind of huge rear end in a top hat who would happily experiment on a kid they genuinely loved if they thought they could get some benefit out of it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah that was another weird thing, why the woman who found the Timeless Child wasn't Rassilon as opposed to ... I don't know, Chibnall's names are utterly forgettable, they keep saying what the Sugar Skull Gang's names are and I can't remember apart from "The Passenger".... since Rassilon is absolutely the kind of huge rear end in a top hat who would happily experiment on a kid they genuinely loved if they thought they could get some benefit out of it.

Fun fact: The actor who played Rassilon in The Timeless Children was picked so they could keep continuity with Zagreus of all things. Time Lord lore has been built bit by bit by wildly different writing teams, but it largely fits together. Not so much for Rassilon, where his history makes little sense. But then, I guess that fits the 'he whitewashed his own image' thing that's been attached to the character since The Five Doctors.

Yep, introducing the Doctor's super secret long forgotten archenemy and having the name be....Swarm is a bit underwhelming. The Master is a good villain name, it tells you a lot about the character and how they see themselves, and contrasts with the hero's name. Swarm sounds placeholder-y.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Fun fact: The actor who played Rassilon in The Timeless Children was picked so they could keep continuity with Zagreus of all things.

Rassilon was in The Timeless Children? I don't recall that at all. Or do you just mean the woman who got given some other weird name instead?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Rassilon is first mentioned in the Deadly Assassin

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks JaKiri :)

And oh yeah, SWARM! That's Disco Red Skull's name. I'll try not to forget that. What is Swarm's sister's name?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks JaKiri :)

And oh yeah, SWARM! That's Disco Red Skull's name. I'll try not to forget that. What is Swarm's sister's name?

Azure I think? Something like that, because I was again slightly underwhelmed that the lady with the blue skins name is effectively "blue".

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Rassilon was in The Timeless Children? I don't recall that at all. Or do you just mean the woman who got given some other weird name instead?

There's a shot of three people in Gallifreyan robes - Tecteun, Omega and Rassilon, according to the script.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahahaha so he did "The Other" by stealth while also pointlessly referencing the Mobius Doctors? Jesus Christ, Chibnall :laugh:

SiKboy posted:

Azure I think? Something like that, because I was again slightly underwhelmed that the lady with the blue skins name is effectively "blue".

Maybe they were worried it would be too on the nose for The Red Skull's sister to be The Blue Skull?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 7, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have a sneaking suspicion that the impossible house is going to be Lungbarrow, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong on that.

One moment I did really like was 13 being affectionate to the TARDIS and trying to comfort it as it was in distress. Outside of the Ghost Monument, we've not seen masses of that in this era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah just wanna rave again about how loving cool the impossible house looked. I really want to know more about that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah just wanna rave again about how loving cool the impossible house looked. I really want to know more about that.

That panning shot where they pulled out from Whittaker was really, really well done.

Dan is now officially the second best Scouse companion.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 7, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I really like the running gag of "SONTARANS GOOD AT WAR" and then never being good at war unless they're literally fighting people with sharp pointy sticks :allears:

Which, as Missy pointed out in The Magician's Apprentice, is sometimes all you need

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Vinylshadow posted:

I really like the running gag of "SONTARANS GOOD AT WAR" and then never being good at war unless they're literally fighting people with sharp pointy sticks :allears:

Which, as Missy pointed out in The Magician's Apprentice, is sometimes all you need

:itisaBritishEmpireanalogy:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When did the Skull Villains pick up Darkseid?

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Been enjoying this so far. I'm kind of fond of the Tardis getting all hosed up and broken, stuff like Edge of Destruction, Logopolis, etc. Really makes whatever the threat is seem graver than ever, where even that safe haven is being eroded.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What if Flux ends with the TARDIS getting destroyed, and the 60th Anniversary was about her getting it repaired with the help of other Doctors?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Chibnall wants to be remembered for revamping the tardis exterior, give it a spoiler and some sick flames. scratch off that police poo poo since ACAB

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

When did the Skull Villains pick up Darkseid?

Until we learn otherwise I'm going to assume Disco Red Skull appeared somewhere the dude was standing nearby, and when he moved the guy just kind of... silently followed. So DRS shrugged and just went with it, and even gave him a little passive-aggressive nickname of Passenger for shits and giggles. He won't do anything all season, just kind of stand around, and when DRS and his sister get beaten he'll just kind of... wander away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this is really bad but not in the usual chibnal way. lots of shite dialogue and they still can't write for whitaker but its definitely enjoyable. anyone got some rtd vibes from this? the liverpool guy's parents really made me think of him

oh and i really do like the performance + design of the sugar skull guy, hes cool