Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why did she want to conquer Something Awful, anyway? She had the pathological personality to subvert something with some kind of relevance or that could deliver more money. She could have made a local blm group and become a discount Jim Jones.

Taking control of something that exists in real space is way, way more difficult than bamboozling a bunch of well meaning saps online. For starters, it requires you to get out of your bed and dressing up, which , like just - ugghhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

lmao if I don't believe km's sob stories then I don't know what it's like to be poor

she really was an amazing grifter, people still fall for her sob story shtick even after she's been banned and unable to post for a year

she tried to frame LAB as a liar and throw her under the bus when finally caught out by selectively editing a discord message to imply that she apologized to LAB when she didn't

someone in the sagas thread said they were still in the discord that KM and her sycophants fled to and it was just a constant stream of "me against the world" coming from her claiming that everyone was a racist out to get her

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

much easier to be the big fish in a small pond i guess

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It's amazing KM's scam did so well when it had literally been done before, in LF, for pants. Goons never learn

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

Part of the problem here is that the context was that the person who said the most offensive thing was an actual trans person who was doing that whole FYAD thing where they are agreeing with a terrible position that anyone who knows anything about them would know they don't actually agree with. You wander in with no knowledge and it looks awful, but you get the context and suddenly it's obviously a joke that didn't land right. It was the perfect thing to whip up a frenzy about, because just about anyone in FYAD saying that other than Skylark would have a very different feel, but most people don't understand FYAD well enough to get it. I certainly didn't at the time.

it rapidly became clear that many of the people who were taking the worst reading of it, ie cascadebeta et al, were power-tripping into orbit but good luck pointing that out when it was going around

so many of these freaks post like they can hear their own theme music playing in the background

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

KM's posts would always have a reaction gif / image with them and you would be called a racist for finding that obnoxious.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sea_Caldwell posted:

KM's posts would always have a reaction gif / image with them and you would be called a racist for finding that obnoxious.

Sassy black lady reaction gifs were the lily white liberal shibboleth in those dark years.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

lmao if I don't believe km's sob stories then I don't know what it's like to be poor

she really was an amazing grifter, people still fall for her sob story shtick even after she's been banned and unable to post for a year

it's crazy lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sebmojo posted:

aha

just brutal

lol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Being entirely serious here: while I'm not arguing in defense of the actions which had them banned or contesting any of the accusations leveled against them, I do want to say that Tiny Brontosaurus, Koalas March, and the community that came around them did effect positive change both on the forums and in my own life. Their willingness to call out unacceptable behavior in what was formerly a safe space for edgy white kids and to persist in confronting that behavior even in the face of community pushback from notional allies helped open my eyes to the pervasiveness of racial prejudice and the unexamined privilege that made me believe it was acceptable for me or someone like me to tell a person of color how offended they were allowed to be over something that was 'just a joke' or, that I had the right to set the timetable for when they were allowed to express their grievances at my behavior. They made me keenly aware that racism was a poison that pervaded society and could seep into you regardless of what the reasoning parts of your mind thought of the world, that denying such prejudices in yourself accomplished nothing, and only by acknowledging and directly confronting those biases could you improve yourself and the world around you. I'm a better person now than I was then, and it's because of things they showed me.

Again, this isn't a defense of the individuals - it would just be sad for the lessons that came before the Troubles to be tarnished by their downfalls.

(full disclosure: I liked KM's posting at the time, but I wasn't that involved and made maybe a half-dozen posts ever in TGRS. I didn't even know about her crowdfunding campaigns until they became sagas)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't care about KM, that was a milquetoast poster with a grift on the side... But to take Tiny Brontosaurus as a moral compass - you'd have to be really morally deranged to find that acceptable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
250 - Merch? makes me laugh every time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wasn't tiny Brontosaurus best known for telling people to kill themselves for any and all disagreements?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't tiny Brontosaurus best known for telling people to kill themselves for any and all disagreements?

yes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That is correct, yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
she was also a millionaire white woman (a conde naste heiress or something) who apparently enjoyed roleplaying online

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxxidation posted:

she was also a millionaire white woman (a conde naste heiress or something) who apparently enjoyed roleplaying online

Taintrunner syndrome?

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth

sharknado slashfic posted:

What's the story with the Miley Cyrus avs?
It's a crop from the Deviantart thread back in May, no idea as to why it has suddenly become the new ice rear end.

Bismuth posted:

the belly button images faces would make extremely cursed avatars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oxxidation posted:

I thought that was Slashie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I thought that was Slashie.

TB was a confirmed slashie alt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah they are the same person.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Man I’m so glad the “if you disagree with me you’re a Nazi” crowd is mostly gone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I guess it would be weird if there was more than one millionaire heiress who had nothing better to do than tell people to kill themselves on a dead internet forum all day.

exquisite tea has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Nov 8, 2021

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they are the same person.

I don't know who Slashie was and this is all new information to me, but assuming that the "white millionaire" part of it is correct then I formally change my opinion on the matter to "lmao".

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The moral of the story is to not put any goon on a pedestal, as all of those types eventually turn out to be scammers or pedophiles.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just in case anyone else has a good opinion of tb:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3784826&pagenumber=660&perpage=40#post500557879

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ilmucche posted:

why is rolling your own cigarettes for poor people? loads of my friends and colleagues are all about it. one of them straight up hates factory darts

CaptainSarcastic posted:

When I was really poor I made my own cigarettes, which had the added benefit of being better quality than prepackaged brand-name cigarettes. I had a device that filled filtered tubes, and once I figured out the ideal tubes and filters and bulk tobacco they were better than American Spirits at a fraction of the price.

Depending on how the tobacco taxes work it can cost less to make your own cigarettes and in general the ones you make yourself will taste better. I unfortunately used to work at a cigarette selling establishment.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Shifty Nipples posted:

Depending on how the tobacco taxes work it can cost less to make your own cigarettes and in general the ones you make yourself will taste better. I unfortunately used to work at a cigarette selling establishment.

My college roommate rolled all of his own cigarettes like joints and carried them behind his ear so that campus police stopped him a few times and then left him alone (so he could carry actual joints behind his ear).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Peachfart posted:

The moral of the story is to not put any goon on a pedestal, as all of those types eventually turn out to be scammers or pedophiles.

It owns when you see people go "yeah [x] is a little prickly but they only go after horrible people" because its always in defense of the blatantly worst people on the forum

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frank Frank posted:

My college roommate rolled all of his own cigarettes like joints and carried them behind his ear so that campus police stopped him a few times and then left him alone (so he could carry actual joints behind his ear).

yea the tobacco tax thing is legit but it was also a great tool for dirtbags to fool dipshit cops/security into not bothering them.

source: it me, I'm the dirtbag who also did this in college.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why did she want to conquer Something Awful, anyway? She had the pathological personality to subvert something with some kind of relevance or that could deliver more money. She could have made a local blm group and become a discount Jim Jones.

I'm not gauging the likelihood, but here's an idea.
Maybe it's practice? A sort of pilot project. A trial of sorts. Give it a whirl from home, and try to learn how it all unraveled afterwards. Failure presents less risk from behind the keyboard than from over the pew.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

B33rChiller posted:

I'm not gauging the likelihood, but here's an idea.
Maybe it's practice? A sort of pilot project. A trial of sorts. Give it a whirl from home, and try to learn how it all unraveled afterwards. Failure presents less risk from behind the keyboard than from over the pew.

I think she was just too online to be actually active in local circles so it was take over SA or nothing

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

sexpig by night posted:

yea the tobacco tax thing is legit but it was also a great tool for dirtbags to fool dipshit cops/security into not bothering them.

source: it me, I'm the dirtbag who also did this in college.

Ross? Is that you?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Voyager I posted:

I don't know who Slashie was and this is all new information to me, but assuming that the "white millionaire" part of it is correct then I formally change my opinion on the matter to "lmao".

Slashie had the same aggro posting style that usually ended with her accusing someone of being a pedophile or telling them to kill themselves, but she said she was an affluent Jewish woman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frank Frank posted:

Ross? Is that you?

god that would be funny but sadly I'm just an entirely separate burnout who had really stupid campus security with no object permanence skills.

'well last week the joint was tobacco, so I assume that's the same joint, better let him go on even though he reeks of weed' :911:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow I did not expect to learn quite that much about km or tb today

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is Slashie the same person as Red Kahina?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heath posted:

Is Slashie the same person as Red Kahina?

Red Kahina doesn't show up as a user, so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
She's a Twitter leftist with insane aggro opinions who I believe is also known to be a rich heiress