Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

That Arcane series that just hit Netflix looks amazing. And it’s well directed too, looks like it’s gonna build some interesting character dynamics. I was worried it’d just be pretty nonsense but there’s some heart to the story.

and the best part:

You don't need to know league of legends lore to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I highly recommend arcane to everyone. The animation studio behind it is insane (french studio Fortiche) and just watching the first episode it has very strong aesthetic and direction.

As a league player I think the story will also hit but you should be able to go into it blind no problem.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like with Arcane netflix are finally doing the more typical streaming thing where they drop a bunch of (3) episodes at first and then after that it's weekly, no whole season at once.

By the end I realized that while it's not the most narratively satisfying thing to basically be watching a bunch of incomplete origin stories of superheroes/villains all jumbled together, the fact that they are adapting the incredibly melodramatic and tragic backstories of a bunch of videogame characters means that the climax of this whole mini-movie right now is the blue haired girl (named Powder???) going "I'm helping I'm helping" like any good little sister and managing to end up killing her whole family with a magic bomb which is not what you expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1EHStEbqU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
What's the weird wiggly nominally-aimed-at-kids-but-really-for-adults/nominally-aimed-at-adults-but-really-for-kids show on Netflix with horses? Centauria? I can't find it but I'm out of things to watch and I'm absolutely the target market.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Centaurworld

Caros
May 14, 2008

The United States posted:

Looks like with Arcane netflix are finally doing the more typical streaming thing where they drop a bunch of (3) episodes at first and then after that it's weekly, no whole season at once.

By the end I realized that while it's not the most narratively satisfying thing to basically be watching a bunch of incomplete origin stories of superheroes/villains all jumbled together, the fact that they are adapting the incredibly melodramatic and tragic backstories of a bunch of videogame characters means that the climax of this whole mini-movie right now is the blue haired girl (named Powder???) going "I'm helping I'm helping" like any good little sister and managing to end up killing her whole family with a magic bomb which is not what you expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1EHStEbqU

Minor correction, but they are doing a three arc structure with three episodes a week, rather than the normal burst to start followed by weekly release.

So far very very solid. Someone better win some awards for this animation because goddamn is is stylish and high quality.

Also, not for nothing, but this isn't so much an adaptation of a backstory as the creation of for a lot of them. League lore has always been fairly flimsy outside of broad strokes. Jinx (powder) and Vi being siblings was a minor Easter egg mentioned in neither's backstory and only hinted at in an in game line (you think I'm crazy, you should see my sister) and some splash art.

It is lore accurate tho, in that jinx ends up grief img her team, just like every loving game I ever played.

Caros fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 7, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OnlyBans posted:

What's the weird wiggly nominally-aimed-at-kids-but-really-for-adults/nominally-aimed-at-adults-but-really-for-kids show on Netflix with horses? Centauria? I can't find it but I'm out of things to watch and I'm absolutely the target market.

The Adventures of Senpai Horsecock

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bojack Horseman

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

League of Legend is the one with NOT Lina Inverse right? I never remember. Although, they'd probably try and avoid making her like that character.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I highly recommend arcane to everyone. The animation studio behind it is insane (french studio Fortiche) and just watching the first episode it has very strong aesthetic and direction.

As a league player I think the story will also hit but you should be able to go into it blind no problem.

Well I started watching it and now the worst possible outcome has happened, I am considering trying League again for the tenth time

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomposaur posted:

Well I started watching it and now the worst possible outcome has happened, I am considering trying League again for the tenth time

Instead of playing League of Legends why don't you try legitimately anything else?

(If you like Trading Card Games try Legends of Runeterra instead!)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished the third episode of Arcane, fuuuuck the facial animation is so good. The body mechanics are great too but the soul of the characters is on their faces, they do ugly crying like I’ve never seen done in animation outside of some scene in anime by guys like Hiroyuki Okiura.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

League of Legend is the one with NOT Lina Inverse right? I never remember. Although, they'd probably try and avoid making her like that character.

Google tells me you're thinking of DOTA.

Ccs posted:

they do ugly crying like I’ve never seen done in animation outside of some scene in anime by guys like Hiroyuki Okiura.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I did not expect to get hooked by Arcane but after episode 3 I'll be damned if I don't want to know what happens next.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Arcane really surprised me. I can't remember seeing any animation this good before. And that includes Disney and Pixar. I also really liked the story. I am rooting for Powder.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

I finished the third episode of Arcane, fuuuuck the facial animation is so good. The body mechanics are great too but the soul of the characters is on their faces, they do ugly crying like I’ve never seen done in animation outside of some scene in anime by guys like Hiroyuki Okiura.

Yeah the down-right ugly crying and screaming "I just wanted to help" by jinx was soul wrenching

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hryme posted:

Arcane really surprised me. I can't remember seeing any animation this good before. And that includes Disney and Pixar. I also really liked the story. I am rooting for Powder.

It was in production forever. After Larrikins collapsed at Dreamworks in 2017 a lot of those guys went over to Fortiche where they were just starting production on animation for the series. So since around February or March of 2017 until close to the end of 2020 they were animating it at their studios in Paris, Montpellier and the Canary Islands.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ugh, I just said a bunch of negative things about The Great North and then they had to go and air a pretty good episode and now I feel kind of bad about it.

A big part of the reason is was good is because Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally are great voice actors with great chemistry and in the most recent episode they had a b-plot together that made me wonder "Why can't the whole show just be this?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Gonna Nth the recommendation to watch Arcane.

I went in totally blind about the show and LoL as well. The only thing I knew about the game was that it had one of the most toxic communities in gaming.

The animation is just amazing. Now that the setup episodes are done I'm really interested in seeing where they take this.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ugh, I just said a bunch of negative things about The Great North and then they had to go and air a pretty good episode and now I feel kind of bad about it.

A big part of the reason is was good is because Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally are great voice actors with great chemistry and in the most recent episode they had a b-plot together that made me wonder "Why can't the whole show just be this?"

Hearing that Offerman and Mullaly are in it together makes me want to watch the show more. They had great on-screen chemistry in Parks and Rec.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bussamove posted:

Hearing that Offerman and Mullaly are in it together makes me want to watch the show more. They had great on-screen chemistry in Parks and Rec.

Uh, perhaps you’re aware, but they’ve been happily married IRL for like 15 years

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bussamove posted:

Here's the thing: Offerman and Mullaly both play characters on the show, but so far there's only been two episodes where those characters interact with each other: the first episode and then this most recent one. I have no idea why the writers have decided to have the two best characters played by the two best actors who pair so well together have so little screen time together. It's a baffling choice.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Just a heads up for anyone wanting more Arcane animation to fill the wait for the next batch of episodes, go checkout the Legend of Runeterra and Wild Rift trailers. There is some really good stuff.

Personally I'm hoping we get a buddy bounty hunter series staring Graves and TF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbJhZW-iN0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QkVYl4r42U

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, perhaps you’re aware, but they’ve been happily married IRL for like 15 years

I really should finish my thoughts. I’m aware they’re married and still seem bonkers for each other which is both cute as hell and probably why they have such great chemistry when they’re together in things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, both our thoughts on the first few eps of this season were valid. It was a run of really duff episodes, and I’m glad to hear there’s a good one now. Something to watch later on! :toot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new episodes of Squidbillies were funny but I found Tracy Morgan's voice really distracting.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The new episodes of Squidbillies were funny but I found Tracy Morgan's voice really distracting.

That's just true to life.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Boy, they sure did draw a lot of penises for that dating app episode of Inside Job.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

I think thats the point

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea they should've gotten someone with a less famous voice that actually sounds like white trash

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

Boy, they sure did draw a lot of penises for that dating app episode of Inside Job.

No one's hornier than a room full of animators.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No one's hornier than a room full of animators.
A good chunk of Love Death and Robots was just animators who are normally busy making cg cars and buildings for live action superheroes to destroy just being jubilant that they finally got to work on rendering cg 4k photo realistic boobs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

yea they should've gotten someone with a less famous voice that actually sounds like white trash

One of the episodes had Walton Goggins guest star and personally I think he would have been a better replacement.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The United States posted:

A good chunk of Love Death and Robots was just animators who are normally busy making cg cars and buildings for live action superheroes to destroy just being jubilant that they finally got to work on rendering cg 4k photo realistic boobs

The first season of LDR was so good. Pity about the second one.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I think I am too uncool for Fairfax.

I get it.. I get what they're going for. But, is it not for me.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

PicklePants posted:

I think I am too uncool for Fairfax.

I get it.. I get what they're going for. But, is it not for me.

The impression it leaves is they're trying to parody something so specific to a particular crowd that it can't be adequately translated to anyone else. On top of that, it feels like they're going for some real low-hanging fruit. The joke of "Hey, aren't hipsters just wacky?!" is about the same age as the show's main characters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The first season of LDR was so good. Pity about the second one.
Well I mean it's not complete yet is it? It has half the episodes, so I assumed Netflix was doing the whole split seasons thing that they love to do. But yeah so far it doesn't have a Blue Zima, the only actual good episode of Season 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

The impression it leaves is they're trying to parody something so specific to a particular crowd that it can't be adequately translated to anyone else. On top of that, it feels like they're going for some real low-hanging fruit. The joke of "Hey, aren't hipsters just wacky?!" is about the same age as the show's main characters.

I think it's quite gentle and loving tbh, while still being satirem it's just ratcheting up the intensity a bit. I really liked it.

I think there's more to it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

In non-animation, but still cartoons for adult news, I just learned that the complete Megg Mogg and Owl Crisis Zone story is now available for purchase and I wanted to share that: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/megg-mogg-owl/products/crisis-zone

Megg Mogg and Owl is a bit hard to put into words. It captures raw, ugly, and intense emotions in ways that are unflinching while still feeling sympathetic to the characters going through these struggles even if the struggles are entirely self created problems. It can be extremely loving funny, and then immediately turn soul crushing. Crisis Zone is probably the thing that best encapsulates the 2020 Covid pandemic that I've personally ever seen and a great jumping on point for new readers because it's a self contained story.

The rest of the books in the Megg Mogg and Owl saga are available here: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/megg-mogg-owl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If I didn’t have a small child and a wife that would need explaining to I’d totally be on that.