Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It doesn’t matter how nice you are when you’re telling certain people something they don’t want to hear. You will always have been too rude for them so they have a way to get upset and try to make you the bad guy like in this story where a woman got upset at someone for having OCD in public then shushed them like a child so they wouldn’t have an argument they started.

hohoho very clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

WIBTA for leaving a guy because he farted on me

This reads like someone took the oldest joke in existence and gender swapped the people.

Thr oldest joke comes from a Babylonian tablet and is

quote:

Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart on her husband’s lap.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
if farting around your partner is something unacceptable to you, maybe don't have a partner. die alone.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
^^^

This dude tugs to cake farts lol

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm still trying to understand the whole forcing the daughter to live in her dead brother's room.

Trying to call back the son's soul to possess the daughter's body.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Husband’s (32M) family keeps telling me (27F) to wait to get pregnant so that my sister-in-law (34F) can “go first” but she isn’t medically able to have kids for a few more years...

quote:

Alright so long story short my SIL had cancer (she is clear now! Yay!) and has to take some medications for a few years, and is not allowed to get pregnant during that time. Had she not gotten cancer, she definitely would have kids already but unfortunately things didn’t go as planned.

My husband and I have been married for a little while and have been eagerly waiting for a point in time that we can start our family! We don’t comment on this around the family or my SIL, especially due to that situation. But even though we don’t bring it up, the other siblings (there are 5 of them) and my MIL seem to think that I need to wait to have children until after my SIL has.

My concern with this is that currently nobody knows how many years she will have to wait... am I meant to just keep waiting? Likely she will have to undergo IVF, what if it takes longer than expected? What if I get pregnant unintentionally?

I’m sure that she’s been looking forward to surprising her parents and announcing their first grandchild, etc. but it feels really extreme to me that I’m being asked to put my life on hold for an undetermined amount of time for something that doesn’t affect me. It’s not that I’m going to maliciously or intentionally get pregnant just to “beat her to it” but if the time is right for my husband and I then I’d like to feel that I have the power and support to start a family.

I absolutely sympathize with her situation and I completely understand that the thought of having her dreams shifted might be difficult... but how am I supposed to handle these comments from the family? Should I actually be waiting (for potentially several years) until she’s had kids to get pregnant?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Husband’s (32M) family keeps telling me (27F) to wait to get pregnant so that my sister-in-law (34F) can “go first” but she isn’t medically able to have kids for a few more years...
Just pretend it's an oops baby, easy.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Beachcomber posted:

OP doesn't have to wait, if her and her partner are ready that's that.

Notably absent: SIL's actual feelings. The urgings to wait don't come from her but from her siblings. Watch her be horrified that a family member was asked to delay their life just to spare her hypothetical feelings, if they'd even be hurt anyways.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The whole concept of 'turns' where the oldest is first is baffling to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Notably absent: SIL's actual feelings. The urgings to wait don't come from her but from her siblings. Watch her be horrified that a family member was asked to delay their life just to spare her hypothetical feelings, if they'd even be hurt anyways.

Yeah, it reminds me of the story where everyone shaved their heads to show solidarity with their friend in chemo and they were harassing the OP non-stop about doing it as well. When someone finally told the friend she was pissed and ended up cutting out everyone but the OP.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

The whole concept of 'turns' where the oldest is first is baffling to me.

Particularly as an oldest child where my role in the family dynamic was to fight to break parental boundaries and then see those boundaries immediately dropped for my younger siblings.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Particularly as an oldest child where my role in the family dynamic was to fight to break parental boundaries and then see those boundaries immediately dropped for my younger siblings.

I call this being the “practice child”.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for not going along with my roommates Thanksgiving plans

quote:

I (25M) live together with my roommate and her boyfriend. While we do live in the US, I'm not American myself. I have never really celebrated Thanksgiving nor do I have relatives here to celebrate with. But I do understand it is a pretty big and important holiday for americans.

Now my roommates want to invite their families for Thanksgiving, first time they host and also use that chance to inform their family about their plans to get married. They approached me and asked if they could have the kitchen/living room.

I was fine with that, I just asked what time their families would come so I would spend the evening in my room and stay out of their way.

But, turns out their plans were a lot more "extensive". 1) They want to do a three-day event. First day, her family, second day his family, third day friends. 2) They plan to make a huge feast with several days preparation, decorating and so on. 3) One of her cousins would have to stay overnight, because he needs to travel quite far away. And they were hoping that the cousin could sleep in my room.

For all these reasons, they don't just want me to be in my room. They want me completely out of the house for the three days. "I could stay in a hotel, have a mini vacation.", was their argument.

And that was the part were we started arguing. I have no problems spending three evenings in my room and give them space. One time thing, no problem. I have no problem with them using the kitchen for hours (days?) to prep the food. I have no problem with the decoration.

But I will not have some stranger sleep in my room nor do I want to go on a "mini-vacation", plus who would pay for the hotel? Cause I definitely won't.

They told me I don't understand because I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, that it is a one-time thing. I told them I'm already compromising a lot by just staying in my room for three days, despite equally paying rent and everything.

Her bf made a comment about how I don't understand "because my family is a f***** up mess". And the rest of the conversation was dissolved into a shouting match and throwing insult (on both sides I admit).

The next day, her aunt came to visit. She pulled out a couple hundred dollars and told me this would be enough to cover the cost for a very nice hotel plus some spending money. I refused citing again that my room is off limits and I do not want to just get kicked out of my home. Money is not even the issue.

As you can guess, the mood has been pretty awful and I get pretty much constant side remarks from my roommates.

Edit: Some people mentioned me being invited to the event: We are not really friends or anything like that. We are cordial as roommates but have no deeper social interactions. To me it would be pretty weird to be invited to a meal with them and their families.

Edit2: Few people asked, why they insist that the cousin sleeps in my room and I in the hotel, not the other way around: I don't really know. They only gave me the reason that the cousin would help with preparations and had a long travel time. My guess is they just wanted a reason the get me out completely. But that is speculation on my part.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The daughter is being a terrible little poo poo, but she is 15 and is probably dealing with a lot. Some of dads choices seem designed to drive a 15 year old mad, which does not help.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Funktastic posted:

Take the money, get a hotel room, lock your bedroom door and put a sensor camera above the door so if anyone tries to break in you can call them out on it straight away. Cousin can sleep on the couch, dude is well within his rights to tell these people to sod off. Also, it won't be a "one time thing" if he lives with them long-term. What about next year? Anyway, some more content!

AITA for going off on the restaurant that gave me regular soda instead of zero sugar?

quote:

I know the title sounds bad but please hear me out.

For background, I follow the ketogenic diet. I have seizures and pills weren’t working to control them, so my doctor prescribed the diet as a last resort to get them under control. It transformed my life. I’ve been seizure free for years now, and I’ve gained a lot of my freedoms back I once thought I’d never get back.

Needless to say, I never have a “cheat day” or change the amount of carbs I can have, at all. It is a prescription diet and I have to follow it exactly as directed to keep my freedoms. I measure and track all my carbs and fats to make sure I’m getting exactly what I need, and when I eat out, I always check their nutritional menu before ordering anything.

About a week ago I decided to treat myself to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. I’ve been there plenty of times before as there are many food options for me. When the waitress came to my table, I gave her my typical order: pan-fried salmon fillet with a side of asparagus and Coke Zero Sugar. I finished everything, paid, and left. As soon as I was driving back home, I felt the unmistakable feeling that had haunted me all those years ago: an aura. I panicked; I pulled the car to the side of the road, threw it into park, and put my hazards on before falling into a convulsion. Apparently someone called the cops, because the first things I remember seeing were blue lights, being taken out of the car, and being sent to the hospital. At the hospital I explained my condition and how I’d been seizure free for years thanks to keto. They asked me what I’d eaten this past day, and I told them. They said what most likely happened was the restaurant gave me regular Coca Cola instead of Zero Sugar, which knocked me out of ketosis immediately. They took my license away for 6 months until I can (again) prove to them the diet keeps my seizures under control.

I was livid. How was I going to get to work? How was i going to get groceries? Once discharged I called the restaurant and asked to speak to the manager. I went OFF on the manager. I told him the whole story, the worker’s name, and the drink I was given that could’ve nearly killed me or someone else. I’ll admit I swore a lot and called the waitress colorful names, which I am now ashamed about. Apparently now she’s been fired from her job and I feel terrible.

So Reddit, AITA for being a Karen at a restaurant and getting a waitress fired?

EDIT: I did inform her my diet and that I can’t eat sugar. Also I can’t taste the difference as I had covid last year and my taste has been “dulled” in a way

EDIT 2: It HAD to be the soda. I didn’t have any other triggers that day, and even on previous days when I face something that would’ve been a trigger, nothing happens because the diet works.

I also checked my ketones in the morning and they were the right level. I checked them after lunch, they were the right level. The hospital checked them after dinner: guess what? Extremely low level.

Would having one regular Coke have this effect on someone who's in ketosis? It sounds really, really risky to eat out while having such a specific diet that one drink can cause you to have a seizure. For all he knows, the people who topped up the drink fountains put the wrong product under the wrong name, and it wasn't even the waitress who hosed up.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

Take the money, get a hotel room, lock your bedroom door and put a sensor camera above the door so if anyone tries to break in you can call them out on it straight away. Cousin can sleep on the couch, dude is well within his rights to tell these people to sod off. Also, it won't be a "one time thing" if he lives with them long-term. What about next year? Anyway, some more content!

AITA for going off on the restaurant that gave me regular soda instead of zero sugar?

Would having one regular Coke have this effect on someone who's in ketosis? It sounds really, really risky to eat out while having such a specific diet that one drink can cause you to have a seizure. For all he knows, the people who topped up the drink fountains put the wrong product under the wrong name, and it wasn't even the waitress who hosed up.

Sure, and people with a food allergy might get contaminated food and someone with a wheelchair might encounter a bathroom they can't use. You can't expect people with medical conditions to restrict themselves unconditionally in our society, and restaurant workers get specific training about handling dietary restrictions. It's reasonable to expect to get what you order at a restaurant, he didn't make any mistakes other than calling the waitress names to her manager I guess.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Evil Willow posted:

A single can of coke has like 40 net carbs, so it can absolutely wreck your carbs for the day, especially for a medically necessary ketogenic diet.

ETA: Also that ^^

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 7, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OP is definitely not an rear end in a top hat but at the same time if getting a regular sugar soda held that much risk for me, I think I'd just get water because I've seen that hosed up way too many times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Having drunk regular coke and coke zero I can 100% taste the difference between them as can most people. This goes double for someone that is on a medical diet and only drinks zero.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's an unfortunate thing that gently caress ups are going to happen, especially if you have a severe medical issue requiring you to eat that way. I know some people who have just absolutely never been able to get food out because of it. Some blame can be laid at the feet of assholes lying about allergies and celiac and poo poo leading other assholes to feel free to cut corners, but it's also just plain fact that not every restaurant has the capability to do cross-contamination free cooking, and brainfarts are a thing that happen.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Having drunk regular coke and coke zero I can 100% taste the difference between them as can most people. This goes double for someone that is on a medical diet and only drinks zero.

In one of the postscripts: "Also I can’t taste the difference as I had covid last year and my taste has been “dulled” in a way"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Evil Willow posted:

It can. It sounds like OP has drug-resistant epilepsy which amazingly, keto can help treat. If that were the case, they probably would've said that to OP and not fired the waitress. It's more likely she just pushed the wrong button or misheard OP's order.

The Bramble posted:

Sure, and people with a food allergy might get contaminated food and someone with a wheelchair might encounter a bathroom they can't use. You can't expect people with medical conditions to restrict themselves unconditionally in our society, and restaurant workers get specific training about handling dietary restrictions. It's reasonable to expect to get what you order at a restaurant, he didn't make any mistakes other than calling the waitress names to her manager I guess.
Since she could have killed multiple people with her negligence, being called a few names secondhand and losing a waitressing job is kind of a slap on the wrist. OP would be within her rights to seek criminal charges since the waitress poisoned her and with a report in hand there's some chance of getting the suspension on her license overturned since it's not like this should happen again under normal circumstances.

While some people who are on like strict fodmap diets basically can't eat in restaurants since there is a small whitelist of food that doesn't make them sick, this seems easy enough to avoid repeating in the future: stick to bottled or canned drinks or just avoid soda altogether.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I really feel for OP, though. Drug resistant epilepsy is a god drat nightmare.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

In one of the postscripts: "Also I can’t taste the difference as I had covid last year and my taste has been “dulled” in a way"

Ok I missed that.

Still though it seems like a pretty big risk to take. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve ordered diet soda and gotten the regular stuff.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, not really being able to risk gently caress ups or out right corner cutting is something I'm having to come to grips with myself, as I'm looking in the face of a possible celiac diagnosis, and my situation isn't even nearly as rough as a condition where another treatment is removing a part of the person's brain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This lady both rocks and rolls.
AITA for my petty response to my boyfriend's purposeful incompetence about chores?

quote:

My boyfriend has started pretending to be bad at basic life poo poo like dishes and laundry like he can't do it so I do it...

I felt pretty frustrated with that and told him straight up that I knew he didn't forget how to clean since he moved in with me; he was always very competent living alone and I didn't appreciate him "forgetting" how to do chores.

I said that when I asked him to do dishes and he refused and refused until he finally did them wrong, that I was not that stupid.

He said that he was trying his best and I was wrong for saying he was trying to manipulate me. And that from his perspective I asked him to do something and he did it the best he could and I kept at him because it wasn't up to my impossibly high standards and he couldn't win... And he wanted me to believe him when he says he is trying.

Anyway, this might be petty but I decided to give "believing him" a try.

So...

He had bleach stained my favorite little black dress. Instead of getting mad, next time he had a family event, I put it on.

He asked me if I was really going to wear that, it looked messy. I said that I loved that dress and understand accidents happen so I wasn't mad or upset it had bleach spots, actually. I thought it looked kinda cool.

He said he really thought it looked bad and I said if he wants he could sharpie on the white spots real quick in the Uber. It ended up looking even worse.

Another time, we were having dinner and he had done the dishes, but put some of the cups and bowls in the dishwasher upside down so they filled with dirty dishwater. I took those cups and bowls, dumped them out in the sink but didn't wash them further, and served his food in them. He said that it was dirty and I was like "They just came out of the dishwasher! It's just water, it's fine.

He said that no it was disgusting, and I said it was really no biggie, I was getting over my impossibly high cleanliness standards and I really didn't think it was that gross.

The last time, I had cooked for a work party of his. After cooking, the dish needed to cool for about 30 minutes then be refrigerated. I had plans with my friends that night and I asked him to put the dish away after it cooled. He forgot.

The next morning he noticed the dish was never refrigerated. I said it was fine, it was just a mistake, and it would probably be fine to eat, there wasn't a lot of meat in it.

He got frustrated and said that you can't serve meat left out overnight even if it is "only a little" and I said "oh I think it should be okay, stuff happens"

He's stopped being so lazy about chores after he realized I seem totally okay with leaving stuff done badly and that he'll be living with it.

But I feel a little petty for having been dishonest about it. I actually hate how my bleached dress looked and my stomach turns at dirty dish soup and unrefrigerated meat.

AITA for being petty?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Still though it seems like a pretty big risk to take. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve ordered diet soda and gotten the regular stuff.
Especially since Coke Zero, Diet Coke, and regular Coke all look visually identical.

If OP had this exact same issue except with caffeine, you could order Sprite or ginger ale and then rely on the drink's color to tell you instantly if you got something else, but with Coke Zero, the only way you're going to know is via taste. And welp, OP's taste buds are messed up due to Covid, so it's basically gambling on nobody making a mistake along the line.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

If OP had this exact same issue except with caffeine, you could order Sprite or ginger ale and then rely on the drink's color to tell you instantly if you got something else, but with Coke Zero, the only way you're going to know is via taste. And welp, OP's taste buds are messed up due to Covid, so it's basically gambling on nobody making a mistake along the line.

They tweaked Coke Zero so it tastes even more like regular Coke now. The biggest difference is that regular soda will feel a bit stickier but that's really splitting hairs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not giving a plus one to my BIL to my wedding???

quote:

I'll try to write it out as honestly as possible and to be blunt I do think I'm TA here.

My fiancée has two brothers. One of them is married, the other is dating his gf for 4 years. We'll talk about him. That guys gf always comes around to their family gatherings with was surprising to me since in my family we have a strict rule that unless you are married or at least engaged you have no business being around in family gatherings regardless of how long you're together. But apparently it's a normal thing in my fiancée's family since her brother's gf has always been invited to every social situation such as weddings, baby showers, holiday gatherings etc. They treat her as if she's his wife at this point.

To be honest I've not treated that girl with respect. I didn't see it at first but I recognise it now after being called out multiple times. One time while at a holiday dinner, I was talking with my BIL (the one with the gf) about some plans he had about moving out of state for few months for a business project and then coming back. His gf was present and she engaged in the conversation. At some point she suggested something to my BIL about his moving situation and said something along the lines "Wouldn't it be better if you did y instead of x? It would make it easier for me and your parents to visit you and you'd be able to save up more money for our future as well". To that I replied to her bluntly "why is that any of your business? He'll do what he wants, what's your part in this equation?". My BIL sided with his gf though and said "No her suggestion is actually right and she does have a say because some of my decisions also affect our relationship". I shut my mouth.

Now I'm getting married to my fiancée and I told her that I don't want her brother bringing his gf to the wedding because she's not official. She said I must be crazy and how his gf is basically family right now and if we exclude her my BIL will be mad. I stood my ground and said I won't compromise my values, either take it or leave it but she's not coming just like anyone without a ring won't bring a plus one. My fiancée has been mad at me about this since and tells me I'm acting like TA and how the entire family of hers will side eye me very hard if I do this and she said i better suck it up because she's getting invited. I insisted that she's not but she tells me that if I don't change my mind I'll take the heat alone because she won't get into fights with her family over this. AITA???

Diclaimer : I'm the groom, my fiancée is the bride. I'm a man.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Funktastic posted:

The real rear end in a top hat move here is not inviting him to any of this, on top of the other stuff.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

They tweaked Coke Zero so it tastes even more like regular Coke now. The biggest difference is that regular soda will feel a bit stickier but that's really splitting hairs.

To me Coke Zero tastes basically little different from regular Coke anymore, but Diet still tastes very different. I 99.9% of the time drink Diet or Zero Sugar versions of soda so I can pretend I'm making the healthier choice, but I'll still grab the regular versions if that's all the available, because I don't have a medical reason for it, so I get to taste all the different versions fairly regularly. Similarly, Zero Sugar Dr. Pepper > Diet Dr. Pepper, but I can't find that one for poo poo right now.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This guy better not be inviting any friends of his to the wedding. His family sound like a bunch of freaks. "No business" being in family gatherings, are they a cult or something?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If OP's girlfriend lets him steamroller her side of the guest list and exclude her brother's serious, Iong-term partner, she deserves what she's getting with this pretentious rear end in a top hat. His whole post reeked of wanting to Put That Woman In Her Place.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the bet OP and his fiancee have been together a shorter time than four years?

EDIT: drat, I was wrong!

OP posted:

I said married or engaged. My BIL is not engaged to his gf. I've been with my fiancé for 6+ years and we got engaged 3 years in.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 8, 2021

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Evil Willow posted:

What's the bet OP and his fiancee have been together a shorter time than four years?

Yeah, what is OP doing at her family events

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Tetramin posted:

Yeah, what is OP doing at her family events

OP posted:

They used to tell my fiancée to invite me but I didn't go out of respect for the fact that I was just a boyfriend, not a fiancé or husband.

OP sounds pretty messed up! He also doesn't think that an engagement can be broken as easily as boyfriend/girlfriend.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for getting mad at my dad for eating my meal prep?

quote:

So every Sunday I spend a good solid 3-4 hours cooking my foods for the week. I workout and this is part of my process to get in really good shape. I’ve told my family before the packs of meals in the fridge are for me for the week because they usually like to order in/don’t like to cook so it’s not insane that theyd take one without asking if I didn’t tell them.

Well anyways I (21) came upstairs today after cooking in the kitchen all day to see my mom dad and younger brother eating the delicious meals I made “for the family” well needless to say I was pissed after spending a good portion of my day making that food for the week. I got mad at them and yelled about how I’ve told them countless times that’s my food for the week and now I’m going to have to waste more time the following day to re-prepare all my dinners and buy more ingredients. They told me to relax and that I have no right to yell since it’s “their house they can eat what they want” regardless of if I paid for the food. And that it’s not that hard to make more food. I just decided to not talk to them till they apologize, which I said to them, cuz I thought it was pretty disrespectful. Needless to say I got some nasty texts from my parents later about how I’m rude and disrespectful to them and after “everything they’ve done for me they deserve to have a nice meal” (they typically use the “everything we do for you argument quite frequenlty just as a blanket statement for pretty much anything they’ve done that’s there obligation as a parent)

Needless to say I’m pretty angry and I’m not sure if this was an overreaction or not

tatterhood
Apr 4, 2007

If you look out the window you will see many ruined cities & enduring seas.
My (54 F) roommate is (31F) unstable and dangerous

quote:

I (54 F) have been going through a very bad divorce. My ex husband was physically and emotionally abusive and manipulated my oldest daughter into having me committed last year.

After being in an institution for a week, I returned home. My daughter was very disturbed and shellshocked by the whole incident. I was trying to reach out for help and get us all through this. I connected with and managed to get a case worker.
I got an apartment and found a roommate (31 F). At first we got along well. I introduced her to my friends and even helped find her a new job after she lost hers. I could tell she was depressed but she wouldn't talk about it and I left her alone but was still very supportive and tried to get her to go out and get fresh air. I shared what I had although I did not have very much.

She was depressed but was still fine for a few months until she got a new job doing some remote work (through one of my friends) and then she started being very antisocial, hiding in her room all day and sneaking around. This really hurt me. I had welcomed her into my house and taken care of her and she was very unpleasant and it really damaged my daily life. Come to find out she was an alcoholic who is on all kinds of medicines and who is very unstable which explained it. My ex was an alcoholic and her drinking and behaving like this was very bad for my mental health.

So I asked her to move out (nicely). I explained it was just that we were not compatible and I still cared about her and wanted to help her. She said okay and said she started looking for a new place. This was in September and I gave her all of October. I even offered to help her pack and sent her apartment listings. I wanted to help her in whatever ways I could because I do care about her but I just couldn't take it anymore.

A week and a half later I got a chance to go on a life-changing trip for a couple months (with a church group to volunteer). She promised to look after my pet, then took it back later and said that she was going to keep looking for a place and I should plan for her not to be available. But she would tell me if she found a place. This hurt but she had stopped helping me with any projects or anything when she got the job and I was not surprised. I fixed it and found someone else to help.
Then I found out later she went and told my daughter all kinds of lies about how I had been a bitch to her and kicked her out. My daughter is still healing from the trauma too (my ex was very abusive) and this kind of poison was the last thing we needed.

I did not think my roommate was that spiteful but when I found out I was furious for my daughter. I have worked so hard to rebuild our relationship and as you can imagine this was very hard to deal with. Later that morning I went into her room and took her aside for a serious conversation. It came from a place of love although I admit I was angry. She needed to take a hard look at herself because she is turning into a very dark person who takes everything for granted. She was impatient at first but started listening pretty quick.

I told her a lot of hard truths and it took a while. By the end she was being dramatic and crying, holding her hands out like I was going to hit her (I would never do that and she knew it, she was being manipulative). After I was done she said that what I had said was unnecessary and unkind, that she was already leaving and I had just ruined things for her. Then she went off in a huff and didn’t come back. I found out later. That she had gone to my daughter’s place and twisted what I had said to try and separate us more. I left on my trip a Couple days after that and did not see her again.

Now I’m overseas and she did not pay any November rent. She gave me No notice. She isn’t answering my emails and when I asked my daughter about this she told me that my roommate had moved out on Oct 1. This is a breach of the lease she signed which did not end until November.

She had said she might stay through december and I'm gone so there was no reason she would not stay. I am very thrifty and have saved money (she was very irresponsible with her savings and wasted money on all kinds of things, one more way we were different) but she owed me notice and she knows it.

I am a loving person and had been nothing but kind to her before this. But I said a lot of things during our last conversation that she did not want to hear and I think this is retaliation. At this point I just want her to leave my family alone. How do I handle this?

this somehow already got deleted

AITA: left a girl at a bar because she was spending way too much time with someone other than me

quote:

so i was supposed to go out on a date with this girl last year and she flaked on me... then the next day she calls to ask me if i can see if there is any availability at a pool hall and doesn't even invite me, so i stopped talking to her

this girl then proceeds to call me like 50 times in a row

so, like, you'd think that this girl is really into me... right?

last night we were out together for the first time and then this dude rolls in... some guy she doesn't even have saved as a contact. for the next half hour I'm downing drinks and she is GLUED to this dude. Laughing, smiling, taking pictures, showing him things and telling him about herself

so i get up and leave. today she asks why i left her there (she came with friends and asked me to drive her home) and i told her because i just didn't really feel like she was that into me.

you're supposed to be here to meet me, to talk to me, because you want me to be your boyfriend. instead, you're here talking to someone else you already know and don't seem to have an entirely platonic relationship with, sharing your life with them, not even glancing in my direction for 20 minutes.

Looking with him how you should be looking with me. And today she tells me that she was really into me. I couldn't tell at all

There are other things that happened on the date.... Like she's saying she is bi, so I shouldn't worry about her touching up on other women... that she got a DUI and asked if she could drive my car tonight etc. the whole night she was saying she wanted to dance but didn't want to dance alone and wouldn't dance with me unless her friend told her to

so id just had it by the time i saw her stuck to this dude... i did not cheat on my diet to have to drive a girl home that's been all over another guy all night, but I guess I feel bad because I said I would and didn't but don't at the same time because I don't feel like she had to twist anyone's arm to take her home

Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

this, however, is still up in all its dubious glory

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Piell posted:

AITA for getting mad at my dad for eating my meal prep?

Getting mad because we knowingly ate your food and gently caress you, extremely disrespectful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arsenic Lupin posted:

“Sorry, you can’t bring her in, you’re not engaged”

“Hey, wanna get married?”

“Yeah sure whatever”

“We’re engaged, get out of the way”