Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

there was an older lady on jeremy vine a week or something ago and she said this whole climate nonsense is exactly the same as the nuclear hysteria she remembers from decades of yore

they're the same thing, you see
and that millennial bug where they spent billions on preventing it and it didn't even happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

peanut- posted:

British columnists are a truly unique class of brain

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1457271787943829504?s=21

Can't imagine how people could reach that conclusion

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1457248035394756608?s=20

also

quote:

Meanwhile, the Home Office is refusing to share the results of its own research into what the public think of its nationality and borders bill

officials argue that the “balance of the public interest lies in… withholding the information”, seeming to overlook that the data is from a public consultation on an issue of widespread national debate

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

peanut- posted:

British columnists are a truly unique class of brain

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1457271787943829504?s=21

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"irredeemably corrupt" is definitely on the civil side of things I could say about the Conservative party, yes

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/jmpsimor/status/1456980521397989378?s=21

Lmbo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/badnews_vim/status/1456980833814863872
lmbooooo

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I also don’t believe it’s really that close

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

keep punching joe posted:

Bisexuals are next once the trans are dealt with.

I really picked a swell time to realise something about myself aye ...

On the plus side it also got me dumped, so who knows, I might get to be one of Bindel's good Bis who exclusively date people of the same gender GAMETE PRODUCTION UNIT.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

I thought bisexuals fell under the queer category as well? Mind you I could be using an outdated meaning of the word.
One of the points she hit was about bisexuals who are married to the opposite sex, basically skipping around the edges of the 'you're just confused straights / closeted gays' trope, which can absolutely gently caress right off.

:nws: so it doesn't embed transphobia / sexuality bigotry but the thread is here:

https://twitter.com/bindelj/status/1456964428637868036?t=_SJjzkgtqlsOheHHhue5jg&s=19

The irony is absolutely stunning in that she literally cites "being told we are unsafe around other people's kids" in the 2nd last tweet, completely unaware that all of the things she's listing currently and increasingly happen to trans people because of the kind of vile bigotry her little in-crowd throw around.

It's stunningly contradictory and her only comeback is to preemtively yell in the last tweet about how it doesn't happen to 'them', followed by a ton of othering and screaming at things in her head. It's absolutely derranged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Endlessly amazing that people just have this unfathomable need to categorize everything and if it doesn't fit then it can't exist because it messes up by precious taxonomy.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
More like Julie Bin (what she should get inside of).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember, the only thing people get discriminated over is which genitals they want to combine with each other. Absolutely no other aspect of your tastes or proclivities that fail to conform to heteronormative standards will be judged, and it is definitely totally divorced from the struggle that I fought and personally won forever.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
After all the years of the fight being "we're humans, we're complicated, we're more than just a sex act" it's genuinely upsetting to see the argument from these people being dragged backward into this reductive, idiotic "this is the only correct way to be gay and if you disagree you need to leave or get lynched". What loving planet are they on where the last however many years of struggle are so disposable and in service of what interest? Because it's sure as poo poo not liberation. Maddening.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think Vim Fuego is one of those TBEU-adjacent satire accounts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I think Vim Fuego is one of those TBEU-adjacent satire accounts.

I thought the name rang a bell, but I assumed it was just a pop culture name or something.

Full marks though from being indistinguishable from an actual crypto nutter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually looking through it it seems he's earnest about everything else. Reverse Poe's Law strikes again

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

My new thing is responding to any bad news, complaint, or other miseration by making a pained expression, tutting, and saying "well, that wouldn't have happened if it was on the blockchain"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the points she hit was about bisexuals who are married to the opposite sex, basically skipping around the edges of the 'you're just confused straights / closeted gays' trope, which can absolutely gently caress right off.

:nws: so it doesn't embed transphobia / sexuality bigotry but the thread is here:

https://twitter.com/bindelj/status/1456964428637868036?t=_SJjzkgtqlsOheHHhue5jg&s=19

The irony is absolutely stunning in that she literally cites "being told we are unsafe around other people's kids" in the 2nd last tweet, completely unaware that all of the things she's listing currently and increasingly happen to trans people because of the kind of vile bigotry her little in-crowd throw around.

It's stunningly contradictory and her only comeback is to preemtively yell in the last tweet about how it doesn't happen to 'them', followed by a ton of othering and screaming at things in her head. It's absolutely derranged.

She seems obsessed with pronouns and the thread suggests that to be 'queer' you have to have suffered at some point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is very different from the idea that you can't be gay until you have done gay stuff. I am a big brain.

Although gently caress maybe she also thinks that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Specifically you have to suffer in the exact same ways as the Real Gay and Lesbian Liberationists of the 60s and 70s.

But not in the "reactionary moralist fuckwits calling them all a bunch of perverts, threats to children, and destroyers of the natural biological place of males and females", this time it's important to realize that the fuckwits are the sensible adults in the room.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Which is very different from the idea that you can't be gay until you have done gay stuff. I am a big brain.

Although gently caress maybe she also thinks that.

You can't be gay unless you have one verifiable act of bumplay recorded on the Blockchain.

Cockchain.

Bumchain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blockchain but in the way james joyce used the word block.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

More like Julie Bin (what she should get inside of).

Wheelie Bindel

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Blockchain but in the way james joyce used the word block.

Please do not make me ruminate on the Cursed Letters

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the classic school yard joke about dropping your gay card except it’s an NFT and official government policy for some reason

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please do not make me ruminate on the Cursed Letters

Literally the only thing james joyce wrote than I am familiar with and the letters are excellent, honestly not sure his other work can hold up.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Keir-mentum!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apraxin posted:

Keir-mentum!

This latest scandal does appear to have more of an impact than I would have expected, I'm not surprised to see those numbers. More people that I loosely speak to (i.e. not staunch leftists like this thread) are starting to feel a bit tired/weary/what-the-loving at the administration.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bug Squash posted:

The sole reason some people aren't conservatives is immediate self preservation. (which in all fairness is a pretty good reason)

Once they're no longer part of the immediate hate group then their true colours fly: This time, I'll be the one stamping a boot on a human face.

They're tiresome, and the reason why my first warning is always about the people who have to be right and have to win.

The greatest monsters I've known have all been people who think their pain entitles them to hurt others.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/lucypascoe1984/status/1456914812894593026?s=20
Make it stop

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want the HIGNFY presenter who did the drugs and sexual promiscuity as PM
*monkey paw explodes*

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
tbf it's one of the most viewed shows on the BBC, so it's good to have a 'national treasure' absolutely calling them out on this, even if at heart he is a lizard person too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not terribly useful if the proposed solution is "swap the characters but don't change the format"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I know we poo poo all over HIGNFY in here but for a lot of people that don't otherwise consume political news it can be their only touch point to anything outside of the 6/10pm News cycles. This really is something thats made people sit up and go 'Wait you're doing what?'

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always find it really weird to see generally normal/melty comedians on that panel. They either have nothing to add at all, crack one or two 'jommomy cromcrom' jokes or reveal themselves to be utter monsters.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

'jommomy cromcrom'

This is a whimsical English biscuit from the 1920s isn't it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The blonde lady looked uncomfortable as gently caress the whole episode

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the name rang a bell, but I assumed it was just a pop culture name or something.

Full marks though from being indistinguishable from an actual crypto nutter.

Vim was the lead guitarist and singer of Bad News, the Comic Strip Presents mockumentary about a crap British metal band that came out within weeks of This Is Spinal Tap, completely coincidentally as far as anyone can tell. Vim was played by Ade Edmondson and has one of my all-time favourite lines, right up there with "These go to 11" to explain the brain of the guitarist - "Jimmy Page was 23 when he wrote Stairway To Heaven, but I could play it when I was 12, and I think that says it all".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Starmer comes out and openly calls the Tories corrupt: wow, that's a massive step up from his past insipid mouth-guffs!

Oh, wait, everybody else has already said the same thing for days, even the Heil? Not quite so brave, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Payndz posted:

Starmer comes out and openly calls the Tories corrupt: wow, that's a massive step up from his past insipid mouth-guffs!

Oh, wait, everybody else has already said the same thing for days, even the Heil? Not quite so brave, then.

i'm honestly surprised he actually went there and said the dreaded c-word out loud

which kinda says a lot about him and his effectiveness as The Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, tbh