Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you've been slipping on your meme shipments as of late uber_stoat. the goonperium does not look kindly on such blatant disrespect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just remembered I lost my Balls of Ibad gangtag when I changed my avatar. How to re-apply gangtag pls halp?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mister Speaker posted:

I just remembered I lost my Balls of Ibad gangtag when I changed my avatar. How to re-apply gangtag pls halp?

You have to go through the post agony first.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, I'll catch up on the r/relationships thread.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Harkonnen spider thing is just a little Easter egg to the tleilaxu obviously but I will enjoy the inevitable 2 hour YouTube video about how it is somehow proof of a connection between Dennis duneiverse and blade runner

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ror posted:

You have to go through the post agony first.

Lol reading you're posts is agonising lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1457085636507279361

Lol

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone else think of the "ministry of silly walks" skit when they were walking in the desert?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

The chocolatl tanks are forbidden technology

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

reignonyourparade posted:

The fremen have a desert poo poo that shits without rhythm to avoid attracting the sandworms, watch carefully and poo poo exactly as i do

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:ibadpop:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

loving dookies rolling out fremen's pants like they're laying bombs in Super Metroid

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
finally saw dunc, dunc good, kinda wanna hang out on a guild ship with daft punk and their giant retractable rug

i cant remember - was paul having incorrect visions of him and jamis being bros in the novel? its a nice touch if not

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
They're not incorrect visions so much as they are possible futures depending on what paths he takes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jamis has similar dialogue in both the visions and in "real" life which was a nice touch too.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It shows that Paul is prescient, but that things won't necessarily go down the way he thinks.

Jamis promises to show him the ways of the desert, and he does. By trying to kill Paul the first time they meet.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

phasmid posted:

I don't think the spider is Wanna. That would require some outside help. In that vein, I suggest the creature is a nod to the Tleilaxu, who don't appear in the first book.

Maybe not in person, but they are referenced by name, as the source of the "twisted Mentats" like Piter.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

uber_stoat posted:

PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB! PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB!

from a page or so back but still

PRACTICAL MUAD'DIB

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

i too enjoy doing freshman freudian lit crit on everything i elect not to engage with in good faith. kull wahad

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

the heebie-gbs posted:

i too enjoy doing freshman freudian lit crit on everything i elect not to engage with in good faith. kull wahad

No, don't you see, the tweetsman is clearly smarter than ole Frank and has uncovered aspects of that work which escaped the author's limited awareness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the heebie-gbs posted:

i mean he's not wrong

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Tree Bucket posted:

No, don't you see, the tweetsman is clearly smarter than ole Frank and has uncovered aspects of that work which escaped the author's limited awareness.

probably

sebmojo posted:

i mean he's not wrong

yeah but

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gabriel Grub posted:

It shows that Paul is prescient, but that things won't necessarily go down the way he thinks.

Jamis promises to show him the ways of the desert, and he does. By trying to kill Paul the first time they meet.

Paul also isn't fully prescient at that point in the story. His powers are a work in progress.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Paul also isn't fully prescient at that point in the story. His powers are a work in progress.
Depending on how you wanna see it, Paul isn't fully prescient before he's presented with the fullness of The Golden Path by the time he's The Preacher.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Depending on how you wanna see it

do you guys think this is the same wanna that's yueh's wife in the book

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mister Speaker posted:

do you guys think this is the same wanna that's yueh's wife in the book

You don't Wanna see THAT coming!

:dadjoke:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
do you guys think the spider can lay eggs?? what do you think thos eggs smell like haha

just asking fora friend haha

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 8, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Where is it first explained how spice is required for space travel? I can’t find it

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
If I recall correctly it's when Paul is learning about Arrakis back on Caladan, before they head off to claim the fief.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I looked there and Mohiam mentions something about how they speculate the Guild is into pure math, but that’s all I saw

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
How did humanity (such that it is) find Arrakis in the first place? How did space travel work before? Is that never mentioned at all?
It isn't required to enjoy any of this but I got my start with Dune playing 'Dune: Battle for Arrakis' on the Sega Genesis.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There was still FTL travel before melange, but it was insanely risky.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i figured they had first gotten there when humanity still used AIs

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Jewmanji posted:

Where is it first explained how spice is required for space travel? I can’t find it

In the movie everyone knows that spice is needed for space travel, and that’s why it’s so expensive. The filmstrip that Paul watches explains this and also seems to write off the health benefits as simple native beliefs.

In the book it’s flipped: everyone knows that spice is the most expensive thing in the world because it slows aging and buys you more life. It’s secret that navigators use it, and IIRC the reveal is at the end when a navigator’s contact lens pops out and his eyes are so blue that they look black.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

How did humanity (such that it is) find Arrakis in the first place? How did space travel work before? Is that never mentioned at all?
It isn't required to enjoy any of this but I got my start with Dune playing 'Dune: Battle for Arrakis' on the Sega Genesis.

I think they used to use AI instead of space drugged navogators before the jihad

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the heebie-gbs posted:

I'm somehow even saltier than this that someone came up with a Dune joke that isn't about Fremen poop

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KakerMix posted:

So the spice isn’t the actual method they use to travel. They use standard sci-fi FTL/hyperdrive/warp/jump drives to do that. What spice lets you do, is get so high you can choose the future where you randomly happen to arrive at your intended destination instead of inside a star or something. Before spice they just used navicomputers like sensible people, but they had a big religious revolution thousands of years before the story where they banned all computers. That’s also what Thufir and the Barons creepy assistant are about when they do that weird blink. They use a combination of training, breeding, and drugs (drugs solve a lot of problems in Dune) to fulfill the role of Microsoft Excel since computers will get you burned at the stake. Also the logic behind why the compass Duncan gives Paul is stated to be “advanced clockwork”. And why Paul’s book is a fancy projector instead of a tablet like it would be in another setting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ulf posted:

In the movie everyone knows that spice is needed for space travel, and that’s why it’s so expensive. The filmstrip that Paul watches explains this and also seems to write off the health benefits as simple native beliefs.

In the book it’s flipped: everyone knows that spice is the most expensive thing in the world because it slows aging and buys you more life. It’s secret that navigators use it, and IIRC the reveal is at the end when a navigator’s contact lens pops out and his eyes are so blue that they look black.
I think people know that Mentats benefit from melange as well, so there is probably some speculation that the secretive guild navigators are like specialized super-mentats, but most people don't know the Guild is eating a lot of spice. (They may know that the Guild BUYS a lot of spice, but that's just good economic sense. Excellent investment, spice. And who doesn't want to live longer?)

Shouldn't there be a ton of old-rear end Fremen given that they're soaking in it? Like yeah the desert will take the weak but if you're eating anagathics all day every day, you'd surely be seeing some benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

galagazombie posted:

So the spice isn’t the actual method they use to travel. They use standard sci-fi FTL/hyperdrive/warp/jump drives to do that.

isnt there also a special physical process unique to the Dune universe?

quote:

The Holtzman Effect was a scientific theory relating to the repellant force of subatomic particles, and is part of a branch of scientific discoveries in the area of physics to bear the root name Holtzman.
Space travel: Probably the most profound effect of the Holtzman Effect was its ability to fold space and time, and thus allow for instantaneous travel from one side of the universe to the other.

from https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Holtzman_Effect

i got the impression they used the "folding space" technique to travel pre-spice but the spice and navigators made it safer? that is, it was used pre-spice but sometimes ships would just disappear