Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The cryptobros project so hard they are practically IMAX.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I was gifted $5 in butts for signing up for a coinbase account. I forgot about it till the other day and was able to sell my .00000000123 or whatever the hell percentage of a coin for $12.

Thats my bitcoin story.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

imax sucks and you can get literally the same if not better experience for half the cost by just sitting closer to the screen
was that :thejoke:

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Salt Fish posted:

Stocks are partial ownership of a business that could in theory be doing something useful. Crypto is partial ownership of a company that's engaged in a race to waste as much electricity as possible as quickly as possible. It's like if Captain Planet villain Verminous Skumm sold timeshares for torching the rainforest with a flamethrower and you were confused why that was worse than going to disney land which certainly has some wasteful aspects to it.

Captain Planet was too subtle.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If I had a time machine I'd go back and bet all my savings on Leicester City winning the premier league in 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kw0134 posted:

It's kind of telling that every one who slides into this thread about mocking crypto is "yo bro you mad" like anyone here is "mad" about imaginary gains on speculative betting. It's never about the technical aspects of crypto or its underlying philosophies or incredibly idiotic ways it wastes resources or the fact scams get carried out on an hourly basis, it's "but number go up U MAD"

And like gamblers, it's suddenly very quiet when number go down.
But they're just trying to help us :)

In a way which sure seems weirdly similar to what they'd be doing if they wanted to gloat about goons, but that's probably just some new, advanced form of helping others invented by Elon Musk

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thread: The emperor has no clothes.

Cryptocultists: You're just mad you can't appreciate his amazing fashion and didn't get in on the ground floor of Emperor Clothing!

Thread: You're an idiot.

Cryptocultists: U mad bro!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEjjufPd3Is

Why is Matt Damon trying to sell me crypto currency during the Packers game? Why are there multiple commercials trying to sell me crypto during the game when one is too many?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To me it's funny that the best success story that this thread has produced is one dude who was able to take out one thousand dollars, the exact value that he invested.

The best case scenario is the status quo so far.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nessus posted:

But they're just trying to help us :)

In a way which sure seems weirdly similar to what they'd be doing if they wanted to gloat about goons, but that's probably just some new, advanced form of helping others invented by Elon Musk

all these posts make more sense when you realise that holders can only cash out if they convince other rubes to cash in

it's not too late to put all your money into crypto

but it could be soon

i am only here because i care about you and don't want you to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Boat posted:

all these posts make more sense when you realise that holders can only cash out if they convince other rubes to cash in

it's not too late to put all your money into crypto

but it could be soon

i am only here because i care about you and don't want you to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity

Reminds me of this

https://amp.reddit.com/r/greentext/comments/a1v25i/anon_learns_about_the_stock_market_from_biz/

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Man people sure are bent on trying to get me to buy into this thing that's a way to make free money by doing no work. It seems very important to a lot of people and institutions that I buy into this amazing investment.

They must be such nice people! :)

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Party Boat posted:

If I had a time machine I'd go back and bet all my savings on Leicester City winning the premier league in 2016

Sitting here on my yacht lolling at all the idiots who didn't put their life savings on this bet and spent their time posting on the Internet instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For a while on the radio I've been hearing ads for some referral-scam sounding cashback thing called Upside or something, and ads for Christian health-insurance "alternatives," and it feels like the cycle of scammery is back to IE 6 malicious toolbar days.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

This is like a metaphor for commodity fetishism or something.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
It’s telling that the only thing pro-coiners have said is “[Someone] made money so BitCoin GOOD!”

The entire point the thread has been making is that this poo poo does nothing, produces nothing and is a Ponzi scheme that wastes resources that we can’t afford to waste now. But acknowledging any of these points requires the simplest understanding that other people exist.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want to see a Venn diagram showing the overlap of people that because it makes money that means:
- Bitcoin
- Sex work
- Human trafficking
- Political bribery
- Bernie's campaign
- Theft
Are good. Wanna see who overlaps where. And then they can explain their personal reasoning.

Also go on a crypto subreddit and check out any controversial post. Like ones about straight up scams.

Or that apparently that subreddit deleted the circulating post about crypto currency now being taxable in the US.

Deleting information about legal requirements that change the appeal of crypto. Seems like a legit platform to me.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

syntaxfunction posted:

I want to see a Venn diagram showing the overlap of people that because it makes money that means:
- Bitcoin
- Sex work
- Human trafficking
- Political bribery
- Bernie's campaign
- Theft
Are good. Wanna see who overlaps where. And then they can explain their personal reasoning.

Also go on a crypto subreddit and check out any controversial post. Like ones about straight up scams.

Or that apparently that subreddit deleted the circulating post about crypto currency now being taxable in the US.

Deleting information about legal requirements that change the appeal of crypto. Seems like a legit platform to me.

ok but do you have at least four graphs communicating the same information?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

EorayMel posted:

ok but do you have at least four graphs communicating the same information?

Yes, but you don't get to see them. They're at my Canadian girlfriend's house.

She doesn't have internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tehinternet posted:

It’s telling that the only thing pro-coiners have said is “[Someone] made money so BitCoin GOOD!”

The entire point the thread has been making is that this poo poo does nothing, produces nothing and is a Ponzi scheme that wastes resources that we can’t afford to waste now. But acknowledging any of these points requires the simplest understanding that other people exist.
They used to say other poo poo, like 'I find the technology interesting,' 'I like it from a privacy standpoint,' 'I disagree with the current central banking system and this is an alternative,' but none of that poo poo comes up any more.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

limp_cheese posted:

Why is Matt Damon trying to sell me crypto currency during the Packers game? Why are there multiple commercials trying to sell me crypto during the game when one is too many?

Even with my limited knowledge of Milwaukeean culture, I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I know a woman who's made MILLIONS on Avon. Just saying. You don't need to be mad about it, but it could have been you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That woman's name? Mary Kay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If I had followed the paper trading investment strategy I came up with for my freshman econ class I'd be loaded too.

I picked stocks based on making bad puns with their ticker symbols, and Badger Meter Incorporated has done incredibly well since then.

Which is to be expected since in America BMI always goes up. :dadjoke:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

limp_cheese posted:

Oh my gently caress

Yes, crypto is the exact same as humans taking flight or going into space

It just keeps getting more and more stupid

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tehinternet posted:

Except that humans are hierarchical and always centralize things because… that’s how humans work. It’s why we have countries, states, counties, cities. Even if something starts as a Libertarian ideal, it will always centralize on the large scale because that’s how societies work, have worked and will continue to work.

it's not because that's how humans work. it's because centralization is way more efficient. far lower overhead, economies of scale, increased opportunity for specialization, etc

going all-in on centralization does have downsides, but typically mostly-centralized is way better than mostly-decentralized

that's why crypto nerds keep reinventing centralized services. they pay lip service to the idea of centralization, but they don't actually like the technical and procedural tradeoffs involved in going decentralized

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

monkey jizz really isn't all that expensive tho you just gotta know a guy

He's totally paranoid about his source, too. You have to go behind the dumpster at 7-11 and wear a blindfold while you put the tube in your mouth. It's thick, though, so you have to massage the tube to get it unstuck! Never seems to be a shortage, either!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Does the tube ever change or is it the same one each time?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

PhazonLink posted:

but I thought coin was non hierarchichal and de centralized.

*NO FEES!
*(some fees included)

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zil posted:

Does the tube ever change or is it the same one each time?

Hell, its like that place in the club you sit in front of a hole in the wall and when he gets the blindfold on it's like a different tube every freaking time! But I'm not gonna tell you where: I'm not taking the chance on competition!

Bitcoin is dumb as poo poo, though. I would never get sucked in to a deal that stupid!

Edit:
Does Morpheus realize that bitcoin has no value outside of getting foolish gullible people give you real money for some? His quote makes sense for something like dodging bullets, but not so well about HODLing tokens with zero use outside of scams and crime. Nobody "wants" tokens, but the dollars people will trade is on + side while the scam is working. Not because of genius money management!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 8, 2021

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And like all "cryptocurrencies" it's terrible as an actual currency. Money is inherently a social construct. It functions as a medium of exchange because people believe in its value, because they're willing and able to employ it as such. In contrast the very nature of a blockchain makes doing this kind of thing at scale impossible; you've got these giant "decentralized" (:laffo:) networks and all that processing power spread across millions of computers is just everyone checking everyone else's errors because nobody trusts anyone else.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I don't have any bitcoins, and it's nice to know that I won't need to have any bitcoins to sell in the future.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Butterwagon posted:

Man people sure are bent on trying to get me to buy into this thing that's a way to make free money by doing no work. It seems very important to a lot of people and institutions that I buy into this amazing investment.

They must be such nice people! :)

They only have your best interests at heart unlike those hateful nocoiners who just want to hold you back.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

NFTs confirmed legit?????

https://twitter.com/mikejudge/status/1457529055595700235?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So that's what Biden spent all the BBB money on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I'm a couple pages behind but somehow the way this idiot writes OP after his quote replies is bothering me the most about them