Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Agents are GO! posted:

"Look, I'm just gonna say the people I manage simply aren't going to do part of their job, because they don't like it. I'm going to be super obnoxious until you do their job for me. I am a good manager. "

Lol this is rich considering half the time these giant PDFs are an effort from IT to avoid doing their jobs and foisting it off onto the user instead.

IT is a support role, but it's full of people who work their hardest to not do any support.

Another name for users is the workers, the people who do that actual loving work, who grind out the product that is sold, and none of us would even have jobs if not for them.

We are the computer touchers whose roles are to be loving humble and support the workers, not spit in their faces and mock them because we couldn't offload a portion of our own tasks off to these folks.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Lol this is rich considering half the time these giant PDFs are an effort from IT to avoid doing their jobs and foisting it off onto the user instead.

IT is a support role, but it's full of people who work their hardest to not do any support.

Another name for users is the workers, the people who do that actual loving work, and none of us would even have jobs if not for them.

We are computer touchers. Our roles is to be loving humble and support the workers, not spit in their faces and mock them because we couldn't offload a portion of our own tasks off to these folks.

"My end-users are in a constant state of learned helplessness and I like it that way!"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Look I get it, being told that yelling at people to read a SharePoint site before you're willing to help them is lovely system planning is rough to hear. But you can do it. You can learn to do your jobs. I have faith in you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Look I get it, being told that yelling at people to read a SharePoint site before you're willing to help them is lovely system planning is rough to hear. But you can do it. You can learn to do your jobs. I have faith in you.

I haven't worked in tech for many years now, but pretending that there isn't a portion of end-users who are poisonously and often willfully stupid is to be in denial.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh absolutely, but I'm coming from the perspective where we just had a major infrastructure change and IT's response has been not great. They not only weren't prepared and the whole thing has been breaking constantly the last few weeks, they've been super pissy at the users about it. They're clearly stressed out and I feel for them, but gently caress man don't take it out on us that it didn't work as expected. Just not a fun time, all around.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
This is of course a symptom of a bigger problem, which is that management runs IT too lean for them to often properly support the company. If I had a choice, I'd def get them more manpower. I'm just a lil guy keeping a small pod running, that's way above my pay grade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is of course a symptom of a bigger problem, which is that management runs IT too lean for them to often properly support the company. If I had a choice, I'd def get them more manpower. I'm just a lil guy keeping a small pod running, that's way above my pay grade.

Fair enough - if management doesn't provide proper support at one point of the structure the other parts of the structure will suffer, too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It is, indeed, a spectrum when it comes to IT support of an organization. We just rolled out multi-factor authentication to all 3200+ people in the span of about a month and it went incredibly smooth for something that is a relatively major change when it comes to logging in to our systems.

We over-communicated to the employees, provided links to KB articles in the communications so people could go right to how to do the setup and gave everyone a ten day window to get it done once they were added to the list. There has been an expected uptick in service desk calls that happens with adding any new system, but overall it went far better than the vpn software rollout that occurred a couple of years ago.

All the credit goes to the awesome contract PM we had as well as the one infosec team member worth a drat.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

vyst posted:

I schedule email replies to send at random times late night and weekends to give off the impression I’m working that hard

This is the way its done. Also find a way to make sure your calendar is full of stuff even if the stuff isn't real.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IT is on the red side of the ledger, so many broke brained companies underfund it, because they are run by people who fundamentally don't understand the value IT brings. It's easy to just count them as a cost center and not like, the providers of the tools everyone else needs to do their jobs and everything that entails. It's the same story that's been happening for decades.

Many typical adversarial-to-users IT attitudes don't help their narrative at all. You know the ones...they think this is THEIR network and it's the users that are messing it up. All of those need to go in the bin, then you staff properly with people who understand they are in a service and support industry/position.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

This is the way its done. Also find a way to make sure your calendar is full of stuff even if the stuff isn't real.

Make a secret empty slack channel so that you can huddle with nobody.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I do that with zoom. Schedule a meeting then sit in to forever.

E: probably going to raise some hackles here. Our IT gets continually undervalued because they're poo poo. If I file a ticket they'll show up, stare and grunt a bit then leave. Problem won't get solved until my boss lights a fire under their rear end.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 8, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Azuth0667 posted:

I do that with zoom. Schedule a meeting then sit in ot forever.

I routinely schedule Google calendar meetings (with only myself) for any time I'd really rather not get roped into a real meeting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I routinely schedule Google calendar meetings (with only myself) for any time I'd really rather not get roped into a real meeting.

I would do this, but the executive assistants require access to everyone's calendars to plan meetings across departments so they all know which meetings are lies.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

blatman posted:

I know this isn't a cooking thread but thanks to this post I just learned that meatloaf sauce isn't just ketchup

I think I know why my meatloaf isn't exactly a hit now

Im pretty sure it's still just ketchup with brown sugar and other stuff but the low effort version.

Please describe how you've been making meat loaf for the thread.

What I am sure of is that it's not a great hot dog topping.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Barudak posted:

I would do this, but the executive assistants require access to everyone's calendars to plan meetings across departments so they all know which meetings are lies.

Maybe try getting a few like-minded accomplices that you can schedule fake meetings with.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cthulu Carl posted:

Maybe try getting a few like-minded accomplices that you can schedule fake meetings with.

That will just lead to management starting meeting sign up sheets.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zil posted:

But doctor, I am management

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Zil posted:

What if no one signs up :thunk:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

honda whisperer posted:

Im pretty sure it's still just ketchup with brown sugar and other stuff but the low effort version.

Please describe how you've been making meat loaf for the thread.

What I am sure of is that it's not a great hot dog topping.

just blasting the top of those meat loafs with plain ketchup until it makes a ketchupy crust atop the meat log

i'm pretty sure the brown sugar + other stuff makes it taste a lot less like you just made a large mcdonalds patty

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Barudak posted:

But doctor, I am management

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"My end-users are in a constant state of learned helplessness and I like it that way!"

Give a man an IT and he will computer for a day. Teach a man to IT and he will computer for a lifetime.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Machai posted:

Give a man an IT and he will computer for a day. Teach a man to IT and he will computer for a lifetime.

To be honest, learning how to computer-touch, and computer-touch well, much like archery is a learned skill that starts in childhood.

If anything it might be more specific like the English Longbow that only has a certain constrained historical window: I've seen some younger zoomers who are whizzes at the phones they grew up on but sit them down at a proper desktop workstation and they're almost as bad as Grandma and Grandpa.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Alkydere posted:

To be honest, learning how to computer-touch, and computer-touch well, much like archery is a learned skill that starts in childhood.

If anything it might be more specific like the English Longbow that only has a certain constrained historical window: I've seen some younger zoomers who are whizzes at the phones they grew up on but sit them down at a proper desktop workstation and they're almost as bad as Grandma and Grandpa.

The Verge did a fun story about students showing up to university have no understanding of file systems/folders when trying to do stuff like astrophysics.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I quit my well paying end user engineering role of seven years (supporting a well known company with 10000 endpoints, maintaining their windows infrastructure with sccm mostly was my job) to take a lesser paying role at a non profit.

Everyone at the nonprofit kept saying I was doing a great job, hr included, until last week when my boss asked me to come to hr with him and they handed me a written warning that basically said Ive been reported for making hostile shouting angry remarks and that's it's happened many times.

I've never engaged in that behavior in my life, but when I asked for examples they basically told me that they couldn't tell me anything more as it's confidential but if I continue the behavior I'll be fired.

Pretty sure someone is trying to get me fired without unemployment, and I can only think that it's because I've found some major security and ethics violations in the way we run stuff and tried to fix them. When I try to fix them, my boss tells me not to fix them and not to report them, stating that the people who caused the violations must 'pay.' Of course, how they are gonna 'pay' is confusing since nobody is allowed to actually mention them, but obviously HR is on his side and some very shady poo poo is going on.

I feel real stupid for quitting a good job for one where my boss writes me up for poo poo ive never done. My lawyer is gonna be very happy with the amount of time I gotta spend with him reviewing all this poo poo, though!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 8, 2021

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Alkydere posted:

It's not just zoomers. My SO is my age but since her parents were blue-collar luddites, her family got a computer over a decade later than mine did.

Her English is also rather poor, so I can't even realistically teach her to Google solutions to her computing issues. Every now and then my phone will just blow up with "Why won't Word work, HELP!"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I quit my well paying end user engineering role of seven years (supporting a well known company with 10000 endpoints, maintaining their windows infrastructure with sccm mostly was my job) to take a lesser paying role at a non profit.

Everyone at the nonprofit kept saying I was doing a great job, hr included, until last week when my boss asked me to come to hr with him and they handed me a written warning that basically said Ive been reported for making hostile shouting angry remarks and that's it's happened many times.

I've never engaged in that behavior in my life, but when I asked for examples they basically told me that they couldn't tell me anything more as it's confidential but if I continue the behavior I'll be fired.

Pretty sure someone is trying to get me fired without unemployment, and I can only think that it's because I've found some major security and ethics violations in the way we run stuff and tried to fix them. When I try to fix them, my boss tells me not to fix them and not to report them, stating that the people who caused the violations must 'pay.' Of course, how they are gonna 'pay' is confusing since nobody is allowed to actually mention them, but obviously HR is on his side and some very shady poo poo is going on.

I feel real stupid for quitting a good job for one where my boss writes me up for poo poo ive never done. My lawyer is gonna be very happy with the amount of time I gotta spend with him reviewing all this poo poo, though!

Yeah, this tracks. Why do NFPs attract lazy fuckheads who'd rather poo poo all over people than actually fix things? The answer is obvious but it still sucks.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

Yeah, this tracks. Why do NFPs attract lazy fuckheads who'd rather poo poo all over people than actually fix things? The answer is obvious but it still sucks.

It’s the great pay, the renown, and the feeling of making the world a better place.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The irony is I normally do a ton of research before taking a job, but on this one the organization was so closely aligned with my values (or at least, I thought they were) that I didn't even do a cursory Google search.

Imagine my surprise when I finally googled that poo poo last week to find out that progressive non profits in particular have uniformly toxic cultures. I've had bad workplaces before and lovely jobs but I've never been formally accused of doing stuff that I've literally never done in my entire career. It's infuriating, and the worst part is that my boss and some other team members DO actually regularly engage in that behavior, but I never have (I've always been commended on having a level head and always interacting with users in a polite and friendly manner.)

To think I could be sitting at home making an extra 35 grand right now instead of walking on eggshells in the office and spending hundreds of dollars an hour on a lawyer just to cover my rear end best I can.

I asked my coworker if he'd ever seen me engage in any of the behavior they are writing me up for and his mind was blown, saying I do my job better than he does and he's never seen the org treat anyone this way before. His exact words were 'this is confusing as gently caress, is there any workplace that isn't a toxic poo poo hole?'

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 8, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

You need to be anonymously reporting everything you can to whatever federal agencies accept the information. Also start applying for other jobs and if your lawyer says you have a case let the lawyer feed the company into a wood chipper.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

progressive nonprofits are awful because they are basically a pipeline for shitheads without skills to wait in while the party apparatus finds them a suitably prestigious-sounding do-nothing job. one reason why the Democratic Party is so ineffective is that its farm team is a bunch of psychotic grifters. the entire left of center think tank/nonprofit complex exists to give jobs to otherwise unemployable people who have mastered a certain vocabulary and manner of influence peddling.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah my first thought when this all happened was 'i feel like I'm working at the dnc' so that definitely tracks. I'm applying for new jobs left and right and just hoping my lawyer can get some sort of ok closure on this for me.

Suffice to say poo poo loving sucks and yeah this is the last time I work at a non profit unfortunately.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Pretty sure someone is trying to get me fired without unemployment, and I can only think that it's because I've found some major security and ethics violations in the way we run stuff and tried to fix them. When I try to fix them, my boss tells me not to fix them and not to report them

I worked at a (probably different) major tech company that also threw extremely vague fake HR reports at people who kept flagging down security and ethical violations and actively discouraged anyone from taking an interest in them or taking a closer look. I got one for my "negativity making people uncomfortable" after I extensively documented a series of thousands of fraudulent accounts all coming from the same origin. They had existed for years and all followed the exact same pattern. Among the things reported that I said which were uncomfortably negative were "I can't believe no one has shut this down yet, wtf". This happened to several people for various tiny "We just don't like you" reasons, it wasn't only me.

They were bringing in a lot of revenue for the business :thunk:

I essentially was bullied out of the job. I quit after I filed for leave, my leave was denied, I kept working, but then they set me as "on leave" for the requested period anyway and stopped paying me, saying that I was on leave. I had to file a complaint through the state industrial commission to recoup 6 weeks of lost wages and then said gently caress this I'm out. Now they blackball me if a potential employer calls them to verify employment by signposting that I am not considered rehirable.

Other "Don't look at that" accounts included someone writing nike shoe-sniping bots and a weird foreign currency exchange website for a tiny eastern european country

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 8, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've worked for progressive nonprofits which were fine. In conclusion, nonprofits are truly a land of contrasts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If anyone in the US tells you they aren't going to work to make a profit, do not trust them!

Can't really tell if I'm kidding or not.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Posters ITT coming to the realization they work for a nonprofit that is exclusively a money laundering operation.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

deep dish peat moss posted:

a weird foreign currency exchange website for a tiny eastern european country

Of the recognized or unrecognised variety?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It’s the great pay, the renown, and the feeling of making the world a better place.

The what? And the what? And you're actually doing what?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Posters ITT coming to the realization they work for a nonprofit that is exclusively a money laundering operation.

There is absolutely no way my nfp is laundering money because I control the accounts spent a considerable amount of time making sure it was very difficult to hide anything on the books.

But yeah,most nfps accounts are so badly organized you could hide anything in there really.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slack auto responses are trying to tell me to live my best life.

HR: So and so cancelled their interview
Slack auto response's one and only option: Great!