Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the Genesis version more of a direct port of the arcade game and they renamed it Hyperstone Heist or something?

No, most of the Genesis game is new content. SNES Turtles in Time is a more direct port, with an added level (Technodrome) and some bosses changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And better music

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Battling is too hard ultimately. Great game otherwise.

So drat charming.

Mister Facetious posted:

The SNES really needs a top 10 to fit more of the good poo poo that I want.

Top 5's are for garbage consoles like the Genesis.
Fact post

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mister Facetious posted:

To be fair I know for a fact I wouldn't have Super Mario World* if I made a Top 5 SNES games list.

* If it was the version of All-Stars that had it I might.

Super Mario World is a fantastic game and one of the best Mario games but honestly yeah it wouldn't make a top 5 and probably wouldn't even make top 10 for me, there's just that many good games on the SNES.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
botht eh snes and mega drive have lots of good games that i enjoy

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Stux posted:

shut up idiot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Get the online, either flavour, and buy Super Mario Maker 2.

Infinite Mario!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
youve just signed your death certificate

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

OP said that the best FF games had Cloud in them, not that Cloud is actually good or useful in them. :colbert:

is it really cloud though.i think cloud wouldn't suck poo poo. maybe it's an imposter

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Stux posted:

youve just signed your death certificate

see u at gooncon bitch

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

To be fair I know for a fact I wouldn't have Super Mario World* if I made a Top 5 SNES games list.

* If it was the version of All-Stars that had it I might.

what.... what's different about smw in all stars.

or are you just saying because you also get the other games. i guess that makes sense. whatever

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For me Mario 3 will always be superior, so I need the second version of All-Stars to justify it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Stux posted:

Same.

I like playing Hyperstone Heist and then Turtles In Time and comparing them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just want everyone to know my gaming opinions are sincere

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Buy Super Mario 3D All Stars

Or

Subscribe to the Nintendo Online expansion for a year?
1. Buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars
2. Beat it, sell it.
3. Subscribe to NSO Expansion Pass maybe?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Party fuckin rules.

I bought a golden pipe then landed on a hidden block which had an item bag, which had another golden pipe in it. Then someone got the star and the new one appeared in front of me.

Went from zero stars to 3 in turns 5, 4, and 3.

On turn 2, two different players used boo to steal my star, putting me in last place with 1 star to everybody else's two.

On the last turn I landed on a hidden block which was a star but I had far fewer coins than the other player I was tied with. Then that player landed on Bowser space and lose a star, putting me in first.

They won exactly one more minivans then I did and got the first bonus star, but I landed on the most red spaces and got the second bonus star and won.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mario Party fuckin rules.

I bought a golden pipe then landed on a hidden block which had an item bag, which had another golden pipe in it. Then someone got the star and the new one appeared in front of me.

Went from zero stars to 3 in turns 5, 4, and 3.

On turn 2, two different players used boo to steal my star, putting me in last place with 1 star to everybody else's two.

On the last turn I landed on a hidden block which was a star but I had far fewer coins than the other player I was tied with. Then that player landed on Bowser space and lose a star, putting me in first.

They won exactly one more minivans then I did and got the first bonus star, but I landed on the most red spaces and got the second bonus star and won.

True elite gaming skills.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the animal crossing dlc is incredible and very addictive, i'm glad some of the themes are pretty silly (guy who love toilets, guy who loves dolls, guy who loves stacks of cash)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

SMRPG being brought up has me looking at romhacks because I'm aware that there's a lot of them and some of them are pretty rad but I don't even know where to begin to decide which one to try...

i'm not super familiar with the scene but can say the randomizer is pretty decent, and armageddon is trash that completely misunderstands the original game

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

3D Allstars gets you Galaxy and Sunshine. Great and flawed. It's also a full price game.

Online expansion runs at 50 per year (if you don't have online already, if so it's 30) and gets you every home console Mario game from the N64 down so: 64, Yoshi's Island, World, Mario All-Stars and Mario NES 1-3. More Mario and for a cheaper price, plus you get 2 Mario Kart games.

I'd say Online Expansion is the better deal. BUT if you want to give Nintendo More Money for Less Mario get 3D All Stars.

If for whatever reason you have genuinely never played the old 2D Mario games, don't think about it, Act Now. 3 and the 2 SNES games are incredible. 1 is actually pretty good. Lost Levels is insane and SMB 2/USA is cute, though I personally didn't find it as fun to play as much as I appreciated the concept.

I grew up with NES, SNES, N64 so of course played all the classics. I actually have had Nintendo Online and replayed Mario 1,3,World (2 just isn’t my thing). I probably should have mentioned that.

I was thinking the Expansion Service is actually a better deal as it includes Mario 64, Mario Golf, Tennis, Paper Mario…and hell I get Zelda and Banjo Kazooi too.

The only thing holding me back on the expansion is the emulation issues - but honestly after watching the below video I think some of these issues are exaggerated and some come down to just the Switch being underpowered

https://youtu.be/6L42ChF90xo

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 8, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
oh if your e talking about more than just mario platformers then expansion pack, more mario for less money. ez choice.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

good video. points out it is literally one frame of latency in oot as i had been saying. all haters, detractors and assorted losers are once more destroy by logic and facts.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still need to see the water temple room from the US version of the app. All the pictures I’ve seen are from the Japanese version

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trying to prove that nintendo is not fail is a fools errand. Smtv is not out therefore its fail.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

using the word "fail" that way, though, is even worse

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

hatty posted:

I still need to see the water temple room from the US version of the app. All the pictures I’ve seen are from the Japanese version

theyre the same version of teh game there wont be any difference

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I was thinking the Expansion Service is actually a better deal as it includes Mario 64,
The port of Mario 64 in SM3DAS is way better looking and has more control options than the NSO version. Unless you care about backwards long jump the SM3DAS version is just better, which is why it's criminal they no longer sell it digitally.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The only thing holding me back on the expansion is the emulation issues - but honestly after watching the below video I think some of these issues are exaggerated and some come down to just the Switch being underpowered
The Wii has better emulation of N64 titles than NSO. Like the emulation might be good enough for you but the problems aren't due to the Switch being underpowered, and people are right for demanding better at such a price premium.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The port of Mario 64 in SM3DAS is way better looking and has more control options than the NSO version. Unless you care about backwards long jump the SM3DAS version is just better, which is why it's criminal they no longer sell it digitally.

The Wii has better emulation of N64 titles than NSO. Like the emulation might be good enough for you but the problems aren't due to the Switch being underpowered, and people are right for demanding better at such a price premium.

id rather the switch running the games at 720p w widescreen than teh wii running them 4:3 480i and i also suspect probably the extreme difference in how much has to be rendered between thsoeo two standards is why the wii runs them """"better""""

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendoh!
- homer simpson, probably

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

US and J OoT differ by only a single bit

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Looper posted:

i'm not super familiar with the scene but can say the randomizer is pretty decent, and armageddon is trash that completely misunderstands the original game

Yeah I definitely wrote off Armageddon almost immediately because those bullshit difficulty mods are never fun for any game. Still haven't actually picked one to try though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh well I thought someone said that the Dark Link room looked different in Japan, guess that was an internet lie and the room just looks weird in the Switch app

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hatty posted:

Oh well I thought someone said that the Dark Link room looked different in Japan, guess that was an internet lie and the room just looks weird in the Switch app

iirc it turned out the first pic was actually from the wii u version (and not the n64 ver), which has a similar emulation bug(?) as the switch ver

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Can't believe I have to wait another 5 days for the Zelda Game and Watch

Release it early, you cowards. I want to be lazy at work without obviously playing a game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Can't believe I have to wait another 5 days for the Zelda Game and Watch
Look on the bright side, you have another five days to ponder why they didn't include the DX version of Link's Awakening.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Look on the bright side, you have another five days to ponder why they didn't include the DX version of Link's Awakening.
I believe Nintendo are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The United States posted:

I believe Nintendo are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

And they tilt their head at you in confusion when you don't unconditionally love the dumb poo poo they're doing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

So the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes are coming out soon and I'm interested. It's the one generation I've legit never actually played and I always hear a lot of praise. Seems like a pretty cool remake too from the looks of it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nintendo: a good boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

if you play Smash Bros with items, it doesn't matter all that much how good or bad you are at the game.

This is insanely untrue

I mean maybe in a single match but not over a couple hours of playing