Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I will kind of agree with that. Mini-series are a great format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

little surprise here weren't you the one who said you should dump friends when their depression doesn't get better

edit: here it is

are things are not going so hot in the skinnerbox subforum

LOL. "Nobody loves you but yourself, I am a rain cloud of misery." ALSO "People are obligated to be my friends because I am sad." There is a clear contradiction in this worldview.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

PHUO: Movies as a storytelling medium are well on their way out, and the best films are basically episodes of a miniseries already anyways

Hard agree. Also not just the format, but also the way movies are supposed to be watched, and how they are supposed to make money with the theatrical release. Even with something like Dune, I really tried to muster up the willingness to go to a theater but it just wasn't there.

Really looking forward to both the Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings series, and happy they are not movies.

*Button up jeans are better than ones with zippers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There's nothing wrong with airplane food. Even the little packets of peanuts are fine.

Except for those weird bagel chip things they snuck into the snack mixes. What's the deal with those.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to recall reading something about how the pressure changes gently caress with peoples' taste perception, rendering most airplane food blander/weirder-tasting than it actually is

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Last Action Hero is a much better movie than the general population would have you believe

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Last Action Hero is a much better than movie than the general population would have you believe

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

now for a topic that is a little less "real"

PHUO: Movies as a storytelling medium are well on their way out, and the best films are basically episodes of a miniseries already anyways

The opposite is true, movies are still good, it's TV that's trash. Most prestige TV is actually bad, it just has a degree of production value and polish that makes it lookg good even when the writing, characters, plot, themes, etc. are dogshit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

Last Action Hero is a much better movie than the general population would have you believe

Its fun but there's not enough difference between the movie world and the "real" world.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dune was absolutely worth seeing in imax. The problem isn't that movies or TV are bad, it's that all media are 99% popcorn as they have always been. Any medium can produce exceptional experiences that can't be perfectly replicated in a different medium.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

The opposite is true, movies are still good, it's TV that's trash. Most prestige TV is actually bad, it just has a degree of production value and polish that makes it lookg good even when the writing, characters, plot, themes, etc. are dogshit.

there are great examples of both mediums continually being made it's just things are destined to change when people can stream poo poo on their phones. My point is that a medium built from the ground up based on watching something on a giant screen with 100+ people at the same time is probably in retrograde compared to TV

sorry lynch!

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Nov 6, 2021

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I like that mini-series can tell longer stories than movies and they don’t seem to be beholden to a lot of practical constraints put on TV shows that make TV bad.

Mini-series really seem like a good format to tell a story.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There's nothing wrong with airplane food. Even the little packets of peanuts are fine.

Except for those weird bagel chip things they snuck into the snack mixes. What's the deal with those.

The deal is that they are delicious, swap me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The deal is that they are delicious, swap me

They're like croutons without any meaningful seasoning. I'll gladly trade them for all your pretzels, or if I have to, the knockoff cheezits

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

You shouldn't be able to turn left on a road with a speed limit higher than 30 mph unless it has a dedicated turn lane.

That may be what you want but it's not at all true in reality.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

silence_kit posted:

I like that mini-series can tell longer stories than movies and they don’t seem to be beholden to a lot of practical constraints put on TV shows that make TV bad.

Mini-series really seem like a good format to tell a story.

This is why I'm convinced the six episode season thing the UK does is the best format.

Long enough to tell a detailed story but short enough that it doesn't blow out with crap filler.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Often movies are made that would have worked better as TV series (and vice versa), and 99% of everything is poo poo, but there are plenty of good movies that work as movies and wouldn't work if stretched out into a series. Novels often work better as a TV series because there's not enough time in a movie to cover an entire novel's worth of story, and short stories often make for great movie adaptations but don't have enough material to justify multiple hours of TV. And original stories, of course, can be suited to either.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I just watched Starchaser: The Legend of Orin tonight and let me tell you: it had a clear beginning, middle and end coupled with a mostly coherent narrative. It's not a good movie but it tells a story in 90 minutes.

I'm also watching Y: The Last Man and it is a loving mess drowning in the time it has from being a TV show. Frankly, that could be said for a lot of direct-to-streaming options. Midnight Mass? Could have been a great 2 hour horror fest. As a series, it drags. Same with all the other Bly house or whatever.

99% of everything is crap. We're living in a golden age of TV and Cinema is dealing with a massive reckoning. But replacing a nice 2 hour movie with the exhausting equivalent of the MCU just sounds depressing and daunting to me. Who has the time?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Y The Last Man is a shame because the comic was surprisingly goofy and very adventurous. I don't know how they translated that into a boring dreary mess.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

OnlyBans posted:

I just watched Starchaser: The Legend of Orin tonight

Oh my god, is that the animated film with dude escaping from mining slavery with a blade-less sword? And there's a sex robot for some reason?

I saw that in the 80's in 3D and have never heard of anyone else seeing it.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Elissimpark posted:

Oh my god, is that the animated film with dude escaping from mining slavery with a blade-less sword? And there's a sex robot for some reason?

I saw that in the 80's in 3D and have never heard of anyone else seeing it.

It is available for free on youtube. I had also only ever seen it in 3D when I was a child and, frankly, wasn't sure if it was actually real. It is and it is freely available.

And much better than Y: The Last Man while also not being very good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Queen’s Gambit should’ve been a 100-minute movie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Daylight Saving Time is good.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it is good right now because it works to my advantage, when it changes back it will be very bad

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If y'all are referring to the time in the northern hemisphere right now, that's regular time. DST was what ended. It sucks rear end and only benefits people with 9-5 jobs. The sun coming up past 8 and going down at 10 in autumn is miserable if you work early or late.

From Texas to France, being on the far west of a timezone during DST is awful.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Nov 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am referring to the whole rigamarole.

It is good that society changes its schedules to make best use of available daylight.

e: I will say that there is no excuse for it to be asymmetric. DST in the United States began six days before the vernal equinox but ended forty‐six days after the autumnal equinox. What.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Nov 7, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i occasionally have to work 12+ hour night shifts, and this year one of them fell onto the night when the clocks go back one hour. plus i had to stay for a bit in the morning to finish some stuff up

working 14 hours in a row is not fun, lemme tell ya

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Platystemon posted:

It is good that society changes its schedules to make best use of available daylight.

e: I will say that there is no excuse for it to be asymmetric. DST in the United States began six days before the vernal equinox but ended forty‐six days after the autumnal equinox. What.
Does it? It seems like society has an unchangeable schedule: Thou shalt not rise before 10am!! Then places decide they might want "double daylight saving" because workers can't flex their schedules to make use of sunlight/darkness as needed and businesses need to be told how to behave. Good point about the asymmetry showing how this has nothing to do with reality. I say...

UTC everywhere. (Because we're not yet ready for local solar time everywhere)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

nurmie posted:

i occasionally have to work 12+ hour night shifts, and this year one of them fell onto the night when the clocks go back one hour. plus i had to stay for a bit in the morning to finish some stuff up

working 14 hours in a row is not fun, lemme tell ya

I've done some 15 hours shifts, sometimes two consecutively, and you are like a meat robot so "where the sun is" might as well not exist. Just remember to keep some track of what date and time it is so you know when to eat and when you can go home.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We should just figure out when the hell we want to be, and stay then. I'm perfectly fine with staying sprung ahead one hour, as long as we stop this back-and-forth nonsense.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

staying sprung ahead one hour, as long as we stop this back-and-forth nonsense.

NO for fucks sake, regular time. The sun being up at 21:30 and but not loving 8:30 is goddam miserable. Kill DST. Print out a list of DST times and set it on fire.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Let's all just switch to China time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

NO for fucks sake, regular time. The sun being up at 21:30 and but not loving 8:30 is goddam miserable. Kill DST. Print out a list of DST times and set it on fire.

To the extent that situations like that exist, they’re all about territories being in the wrong timezone. Solar noon should fall no later than 13:45 in the right time zone. The Sun’s path is nearly symmetric about noon, so that implies sunset at 17:00, not 21:30.

Even A Coruña, which is nearly a degree into what is rightfully UTC−1, but was put in UTC+1 because fascists are dicks, only manages 8:22 and 20:55 on the day of the spring time change.

Offsets worse than that only occur in a handful of places, and they’re hardly DST’s fault.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand how anyone can be so upset about daylight savings.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The world would be better if we somehow had permanent arctic summer conditions with almost 24/7 sunlight. Who cares what time it is, it's light out, it's good.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand how anyone can be so upset about daylight savings.

It's the most obviously dumb and arbitrary thing about our extremely arbitrary and dumb society, a sign that we can't change even the pettiest and most irrelevant things about our collective actions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's fine. Wake up an hour later/earlier. If your trying to change something try something that actually matters.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand how anyone can be so upset about daylight saving.
It demonstrates that laws are passed in the interests of corporations and passing fancy instead of physical or medical science: It doesn't matter if noon is hours before the sun is at zenith, it doesn't matter that rem sleep is affected by sunrise times, that businesses could easily start at 8am if they chose; no, we shall have people driving around as long as possible after 6pm buying things and burning gasoline and paying for sports tickets and golf club memberships and air conditioning and... :cheers:

2022 permanent dst
2023 double dst!
2024 permanent double dst!
2025 quadruple dst :circlefap:
<2030 rescinded like so many other attempts

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They need to make ugly guy movies again. Back in the 80s you could make a movie where all the guys were ugly, and it'd be a hit. Bring them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

It demonstrates that laws are passed in the interests of corporations and passing fancy instead of physical or medical science: It doesn't matter if noon is hours before the sun is at zenith, it doesn't matter that rem sleep is affected by sunrise times, that businesses could easily start at 8am if they chose; no, we shall have people driving around as long as possible after 6pm buying things and burning gasoline and paying for sports tickets and golf club memberships and air conditioning and... :cheers:

2022 permanent dst
2023 double dst!
2024 permanent double dst!
2025 quadruple dst :circlefap:
<2030 rescinded like so many other attempts

Jesus go outside bro.