Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grevling posted:

If you have money to spend on cubes I think everything you own should probably be expropriated.

What about sugar cubes

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

*Minecraft OOF sound as I am killed and robbed of all of my cubes*

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you could be the tungsten baron of australia

apparently there's a small tungstun mining industry here when most if it happens in china, Russia and south America.

cashing in on the racism by stamping 'proudly aussie made without slave labour' on the cubes would be a slam dunk

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Don't you dare mar those cubes

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Honest Thief posted:

jaws girl was so hot

goonette vibes

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
latest trillbillies was really bad. def do not listen. boring throughout before going a bit lib at the end talking about trump working harder to get people vaccinated early on.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hingepoints episode about the outbreak of WW1 was Not Great. very, very american and it's clear that neither of the two hosts are especially well versed in marxist theory. normally that's not a problem, but they're trying to critique the school of historiography on its own terms and that means you do have to keep your theoretical house in order imo.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

papa horny michael posted:

latest trillbillies was really bad. def do not listen. boring throughout before going a bit lib at the end talking about trump working harder to get people vaccinated early on.

What was the timestamp for that? I just finished the episode and they didn't mention what you said at all. :pwn:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

hingepoints episode about the outbreak of WW1 was Not Great. very, very american and it's clear that neither of the two hosts are especially well versed in marxist theory. normally that's not a problem, but they're trying to critique the school of historiography on its own terms and that means you do have to keep your theoretical house in order imo.
is that the matt christman one? i thought it was alright, mostly because of matt though

i tend not to care that much for historical-what-if-ism like what if you killed baby hitler or jfk survived, though there can be interesting ideas at time, i find it kind of irrelevant because well, we lived the line where it didn't happen

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What was the timestamp for that? I just finished the episode and they didn't mention what you said at all. :pwn:

[Trillbilly Worker's Party] Episode 223: Never Felt Better In My Life
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/130817343

1:04:40 is where they begin talking about covid response

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

[Trillbilly Worker's Party] Episode 223: Never Felt Better In My Life
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/130817343

1:04:40 is where they begin talking about covid response

I think you misheard what they said. They are talking about the vaccine response from both parties being failures and Tanya says Trump should have ran a commercial telling people to get vaccinated which might have closed the culture war gap in regards to the vaccine.

No where do they say that Trump was working harder to get people vaccinated. They say he SHOULD have been working harder to get people vaccinated.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
yes, that's what I meant to type in the post. i think it's lib thinking that either president would have been able to get people vaccinated that way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xaris posted:

is that the matt christman one? i thought it was alright, mostly because of matt though

i tend not to care that much for historical-what-if-ism like what if you killed baby hitler or jfk survived, though there can be interesting ideas at time, i find it kind of irrelevant because well, we lived the line where it didn't happen

Counterfactuals can be masturbatory, sure, but both Matt and Danny point out what they are useful for in the ep and that's sussing out important events from the "noise" of history. That having been said if that's what your podcast is about maybe don't pick for your debut episode an event to examine that both hosts feel made no difference in retrospect.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

V. Illych L. posted:

what were your issues with their understanding of marxist theory? honestly curious.

i thought the ep was okay, but not as good as hell of presidents

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

yes, that's what I meant to type in the post. i think it's lib thinking that either president would have been able to get people vaccinated that way.

if Trump had gone on TV and been like “ur gay if you don’t get vaccinated I’ve been vaccinated a million times I have the most vaccines” we’d be at herd immunity

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bust Rodd posted:

if Trump had gone on TV and been like “ur gay if you don’t get vaccinated I’ve been vaccinated a million times I have the most vaccines” we’d be at herd immunity

herd immunity is a myth, my dude. it takes vaccination, masking and an actual nationwide closure. some countries are approaching 90% vaccination rates with runaway covid breakthrough numbers.

besides that, i disagree. it was an every state governmental failure too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Trump was booed by his own supporters for recommending tha vaccine.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Nothing short of China style restrictions in like February would have done anything. We've been quarter assing it the whole time. Watch less TV and do more analysis of material conditions dumbass

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the supposed culture war gap is to blame individuals for a governmental failure at every level.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

yes, but only because he had already brainwashed them to think vaccines were for sissy America hating libs. if he’d gotten out in front of it and made masks and vaccines a part of his brand, we would absolutely be in a better place.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gripweed posted:

There was a time very early on where could have possibly gotten the narrative under his control and not made it into such a blue / red issue. Sure there would have been some crazies who wouldn't have taken it but we wouldn't have had the issue we do now. But that time is long, long past and even at the start it might not have even been possible, but we'll never know.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I think it's lib to blame the presidential response because nearly half of people do not vote, nor watch the news. completely disengaged and free. why do you think the sitting president hectoring them to get a vaccine would have worked?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think it's lib to blame the presidential response because nearly half of people do not vote, nor watch the news. completely disengaged and free. why do you think the sitting president hectoring them to get a vaccine would have worked?

I'm not being facetious when I ask if you've ever actually met a chud?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
anywhooo, my review of the trillbillies episode was mostly about it being a really boring episode. the vaccine response talk was a minor portion of the episode.

they have had better episodes in the recent past, and will probably have better ones in the future.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

I'm not being facetious when I ask if you've ever actually met a chud?

I'm from Alabama.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, that's probably fair. He's as much a product of the media environment as his supporters. Still wish he'd tried from a purely "don't want people to die" perspective.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, that's probably fair. He's as much a product of the media environment as his supporters. Still wish he'd tried from a purely "don't want people to die" perspective.

For sure. You can definitely wish Trump had wielded all of the levers of government to force vaccinations[edit: was not president when the vaccine was released] gone on t.v. to tell his supporters to get vaccinated. thankfully biden has done, and is doing all of that. and in the year prior to a vaccine, every dem leader in the u.s. had handled everything well enough that some states weren't experiencing the pandemic. wait. wait. i'm reading that they weren't. gently caress

papa horny michael has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Nov 8, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think our culture actually does kind of spread from people who do vote and watch the news down to the people who don’t. it’s not like those populations are segregated. Literally everyone in this thread has friends or family who don’t vote or watch the news.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Edit: Hell, a Trillbillies episode a week or two back had that story of the older guy who went to DC on January 6th without ever being online or watching cable news (assuming he's not just lying). Just dragged along mad about the steal thanks to his sister and friends at church.

anywhooo, my review of the trillbillies episode was mostly about it being a really boring episode. the vaccine response talk was a minor portion of the episode.

they have had better episodes in the recent past, and will probably have better ones in the future.

I don't know, the deflated "I'm not editing that out. You're getting raw Tanya" after she mentioned doing stripteases to honor Baphomet and Mothman got a good laugh out of me.

Parakeet vs. Phone has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Nov 8, 2021

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
a flow chart of: sitting president => news media => weekly snl episode => elite t.v. watchers => their friends and family => the rest of society.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I don't know, the deflated "I'm not editing that out. You're getting raw Tanya" after she mentioned doing stripteases to honor Baphomet and Mothman got a good laugh out of me.

yeah. when she is On it's pr funny. a definitely good counterpoint to the doomerism of tarence. I like that fourth mic guy fine, and hope he develops more of a voice on the show. and tom is the goat of the show. when everyone found out what he looked like, it was really good and funny. a different number in the stav nft series of podcast hosts

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

herd immunity is a myth, my dude. it takes vaccination, masking and an actual nationwide closure. some countries are approaching 90% vaccination rates with runaway covid breakthrough numbers.

besides that, i disagree. it was an every state governmental failure too.
the concept of herd immunity is absolutely not a myth - why else do you think measles is only an issue amongst antivax weirdos. just because people last year were suggesting we "reach" herd immunity by everyone getting sick doesn't make the concept invalid. the vaccines don't sterilize though so it's probably impossible to reach until we find one that does actually halt transmission, but at least in those nations with high vax rates deaths and hospitalizations are also way down

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i meant it was a myth in the sense of how people keep parroting the herd immunity for covid thing since last year. it's an uncontrolled pandemic still in every part of the world, and the current vaccines absolutely do not lead to what is usually thought of as herd immunity, due to how few are distributed worldwide, efficiency of the vaccines against covid strains, and constant global travel.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah if the vaccines were more effective at stopping transmission this would all wrap up quickly but herd immunity may be impossible even if the majority of people won't get sick from it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Nothing short of China style restrictions in like February would have done anything. We've been quarter assing it the whole time. Watch less TV and do more analysis of material conditions dumbass

thats right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

tokin opposition posted:

I've made posts about this in the covid thread, but in basically every part of Australia and NZ except for Melbourne and Sydney (admittedly out largest cities), we were largely unaffected by closing our interstate borders. in WA at least, lockdowns were harsh and rapid, then we basically went back to normal except when we had an outbreak.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

crepeface posted:

I've made posts about this in the covid thread, but in basically every part of Australia and NZ except for Melbourne and Sydney (admittedly out largest cities), we were largely unaffected by closing our interstate borders. in WA at least, lockdowns were harsh and rapid, then we basically went back to normal except when we had an outbreak.

I got vaccinated early because I handle freight, did it mess with anything like that when they were closed down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

yes, but only because he had already brainwashed them to think vaccines were for sissy America hating libs. if he’d gotten out in front of it and made masks and vaccines a part of his brand, we would absolutely be in a better place.

Donald Trump didn't invent distrusting vaccines. The anti-vax movement was big and growing already, it was guaranteed to get worse during the stress of the pandemic. No president could've changed that