Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Iirc (haven't seen them in years) he was going to basically go full shitnuts and declare war, got on national tv, and then embarrassed himself by playing some jazz tape, thereby not being intimidating at all.

The real scary part of those movies is how well the hyperrepublican caricatures would fit into today's republican party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The real scary part of those movies is how well the hyperrepublican caricatures would fit into today's republican party.

You should check out a movie called Bob Roberts. It was made in 1992 and looks like a real documentary right now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

Good lord this. I can't watch any of Nolan's movies without needing the volume remote nearby except maybe for Momento.

Also, forget if I posted this already but in Escape From New York: President Pleasance is going to deliver a speech that will save the world and that he's recorded on a cassette that Snake swaps out and destroys but...

So loving what? There's no printed out draft? No notes? A back up copy? Donald Pleasance has amnesia now and never rehearsed it or holds any strong feelings on the matter that are inherently embedded in his memory? His staff can't help him recall some poo poo he thought of? It's like "well, poo poo, this ONE perfect recording I made embodied everything I feel and know but, alas, now it is gone and I can only offer the world 'American Bandstand'".

It's not a song someone wrote or a golden joke that some musician or comedian spontaneously drummed up at 2:30 am after a bender and simply can't recall the next day.

This is not the greatest speech in the world NO this is a tribute!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Morpheus posted:

I did like Patterson in it, he seemed like the only person that wasn't some weird mannequin character.

Same. The *only* character in that entire curséd movie who didn't seem like they were playing an alien hiding in human skin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Roblo posted:

I watched Dunkirk again and it's pretty impressive (even if the out of synch stuff is just a little bit too much for my tastes) but:

Yes the RAF were criticised for "not being there", and the navy did pull back some of their destroyers because of the threat. But there were still hundreds of navy ships involved, and 16 squadrons of RAF fighters. There weren't many over the beaches but there would have been a lot about, we just see 3 and a couple navy ships at most. It looks ...small.

And the little ships, there should have been almost 400. We see about 10 get to the beach. It really undersells what was a massive effort.

The short Dunkirk scene in Atonement did a better job capturing just the mass of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpadPP9c-sE

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When am I going to learn that movies "starring Bruce Willis" now means "he basically makes a cameo and is off screen for the rest of it"? What was I even expecting from a movie called "Out of Death"? Why are these corrupt cops so bad at being corrupt?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In sitcoms when characters hangout before work. Who has the energy for that?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

BiggerBoat posted:

You should check out a movie called Bob Roberts. It was made in 1992 and looks like a real documentary right now

BiggerBoat is right. Back in 2018 I looked up the Bob Roberts trailer to see how its 25-year-old satire held up, and, well...

https://youtu.be/yRpWaJRyVQo

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My wife is watching the Big Bang theory and my god this guy Leonard is a giant loving loser

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

My personal dumb theory with the upcoming Spider-Man movie (that was originally a joke) is that all of the movies happened now. What does that mean? How is that possible? Magic rewriting the multiverse; don't think about it or worry about it. Just know that now in the Marvel Multiverse, Tom Holland did reject the symbiote and ruin Eddie Brock's career and fail to save Gwen Stacy and create Electro and so on an so on. Aside from laying out that somehow Palpatine returned, the exact specifics of what any of it means will not be explored or answered or dealt with; they will just let future movie makers pick and choose the 'fun stuff' that they want from every movie that they own now.

Movies are finally embracing the comics.

Everything is cannon, nothing is permanent, it's all from a different universe or artist if something doesn't make sense.

All the Spider-Mans are the real Spider-Man. All the Batmen are the real Batman. Michael Keaton is simultaneously Batman, the Vulture, Birdman, and every other knock-off he's ever portrayed; one day we will get a film with Keaton playing every role, ala that one scene with John Malcovich in "Being John Malcovich," except it will be played entirely straight and sincere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spider-verse might have been a positive influence on the MCU. Kinda shocking.

I think it doesn't help that Disney is learning the hard way what comics did decades ago; people don't like when you switch out a protagonist for someone you originally made to be their supporting cast.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You get like one Miles Morales a decade

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

null_pointer posted:

My loathing for Tenet knows no bounds. There was not one human emotion in the whole film. From start to finish, it was a near continuous irritating movie moment.

I will merrily defend Nolan movies as actually more emotional than people give him credit for.

But even I draw the line at Tenet.

You can kind of see the emotional beats he was trying to go for. You've got these two big closing speeches - R-Pats talking about an expression of faith in the consistency of the universe, the Protagonist talking about the bomb that didnt go off. It's trying to tell a story about traumatised people learning to have hope and optimism again, but there's just gently caress all there until these completely un-earned closing monologues.

I cant even blame it on the incomprehensible time-fuckery, because the rest of the plot is equally incomprehensible.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CORN: Field of screams - how can people be this bad at seeing people that are right in front of them? These people they're chasing are so horrible at hiding, like for example two of them hide in a lit up swimming pool at night and the girl just goes underwater and holds her breath and the guys chasing her just don't see her. This wasn't a murky pond, it was a chlorinated swimming pool with submerged lighting. It's like someone played Skyrim and thought it was realistic that as long as you're crouching it's physically impossible for anyone to see you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

yeah I eat rear end posted:

CORN: Field of screams - how can people be this bad at seeing people that are right in front of them? These people they're chasing are so horrible at hiding, like for example two of them hide in a lit up swimming pool at night and the girl just goes underwater and holds her breath and the guys chasing her just don't see her. This wasn't a murky pond, it was a chlorinated swimming pool with submerged lighting. It's like someone played Skyrim and thought it was realistic that as long as you're crouching it's physically impossible for anyone to see you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honestly that is a better hiding job than the main character. At one point toward the end, she loudly clambers into a window talking to the guy trapped on the table, and when the guy just in the other room who would definitely have heard her comes in she just freezes right under the window, and despite her being lit up fine, he doesn't see her. To make it worse, someone pops into that same window with a flashlight and is like "anyone who shouldn't be here in here?". Just look down! she's right there!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wow that's way past harvest time.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
No Time to Die: The characters drive dangerously fast even when they do not need to.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's because on a subconscious level they all want to die.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wanting to die but not having time to die seems like constant torture.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I will merrily defend Nolan movies as actually more emotional than people give him credit for.

But even I draw the line at Tenet.

See, up until Tenet, I felt that Nolan's movies had a lot of emotion in them. I mean, the emotional thrust was often incredibly depressing (Memento's view on human identity, The Prestige's take on obsession) but could actually be occasionally uplifting (Inception, the Batman trilogy).

But Tenet should have been suffocated in its bed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

James Bond is Sisyphus except the boulder is drunken sex with beautiful women with punny names.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

null_pointer posted:

See, up until Tenet, I felt that Nolan's movies had a lot of emotion in them. I mean, the emotional thrust was often incredibly depressing (Memento's view on human identity, The Prestige's take on obsession) but could actually be occasionally uplifting (Inception, the Batman trilogy).

But Tenet should have been suffocated in its bed.

I'm 100% certain he's trolling everyone bitching about his audio problems in the scene on the boat. Protagonist and Kenneth Branagh are on a loud high-speed boat and talking to each other about important poo poo with muffled earphones and we can't hear poo poo either. Why the gently caress would they talk on a loud boat.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I still like the Prestige ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FreudianSlippers posted:

James Bond is Sisyphus except the boulder is drunken sex with beautiful women with punny names.

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

christmas boots posted:

You get like one Miles Morales a decade

And even then, it took Spider-verse for that to really stick. Sometimes you get the opposite like with Green Lantern and the Flash, where Geoff Johns really wants to push the original ones that no one cares about even if he has to basically give them the personalities of the newer ones people actually like.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RCarr posted:

Wanting to die but not having time to die seems like constant torture.

Capitalism does suck, yeah.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Armacham posted:

Same, it rules.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Armacham posted:

It's based on a book rather than an original property, though. And the best part is Michael Caine's VO in the trailer, about which Christopher Priest was really upset that he didn't think of it for the book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Armacham posted:

I thought it was going to be a movie about shooting lightning around and then it was just all talking so I turned it off after half an hour or something.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Watched The Good Liar with my mum last night and holy poo poo that tonal shift at the end just completely took me out of it. The whole movie is fun and charming and yeah he's a bad guy and ruthlessly breaks a guy's hand and kills another guy but he's still cheeky and charming and... I dunno, fun? And you're waiting for him to get his comeuppance because it's pretty obvious that she's scamming him instead of the other way around. So then it happens and it's a really fun scene with him stumbling like an old goof and we get a bit of history and we go from funny old con artist to rapist in like 10 seconds of fairly explicit exposition. :stare:

Like, I dunno, it wasn't exactly bad or anything but it just blindsided me and left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it's the medium and it works better in the novel but the whole thing is lighthearted, fun, not too serious and then boom, you're watching the character, that you were kinda rooting for to realise he fell in love with his target and to change his criminal ways, rape her as his pupil when he was her tutor.

Just... yuck.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The irrationally irritating part of 'Finch' is that you will accurately predict who lives and who dies and how it ends merely by being told the star and the premise: On a post-apocalyptic Earth, Tom Hanks creates an AI to take care of his dog. Don't worry, it's not the dog.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The thing that pissed me off about finch is the guy decides to have a cross-country RV road trip decades after a very sudden apocalyptic "Carrington x100" event. Somehow fuel isn't even a consideration and the roads are just perfect for travelling with no blockades or cars broken down. Peak car-brain.

Also scenes where the mc coughs watery blood capsules all over himself and pathetically exclaims "i've ruined my suit!"

it's castaway with cars but wilson survives instead

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Nov 8, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well, in the beginning he mentions they have to get out of Chicago and can't go north or south for reasons, so I guess going west made sense. Maybe he had to keep going to scavenge for food?

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Nov 8, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In Last Night In Soho, An old man is hit by a black cab because he's standing in the road outside the Toucan. He doesn't just step into traffic, he has a lengthy conversation while standing in the middle of Carlisle Street. The thing is, this is pretty much impossible. The Toucan is right by Soho Square, and on a one way street the cab would have had to take a sharp turn onto, he wouldn't have had the chance to build up the speed to not be able to stop in time. Soho is also FULL of drunk pedestrians wandering into the middle of the road, no cabbie is going to speed through the area even if it was possible. You can't even blame it on spooky shenanigans, it just happens!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm 100% certain he's trolling everyone bitching about his audio problems in the scene on the boat. Protagonist and Kenneth Branagh are on a loud high-speed boat and talking to each other about important poo poo with muffled earphones and we can't hear poo poo either. Why the gently caress would they talk on a loud boat.
See also Michael Cain delivering dialogue while absolutely smashing a plate full of chips :v:. It definitely felt like Nolan was taking a huff, in the same way Jason Bourne felt like Paul Greengrass was deliberately leaning into "you can't see anything during the shakeycam action" out of spite.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Imagined posted:

Well, in the beginning he mentions they have to get out of Chicago and can't go north or south for reasons, so I guess going west made sense. Maybe he had to keep going to scavenge for food?

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.

my issue is where is the fuel coming from? Also, why are the roads clear? Finch also seems to "accidentally" invent a lot of AI which is a huge stretch

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Revisiting the corn movie: my main irritation with it is the corn had zero role in the murders. In children of the corn at least they got the corn involved. In this one, despite the site of the screams being explicitly defined to be in the field, the corn was...just there. I was hoping for at least some cob through the skull action.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Revisiting the corn movie: my main irritation with it is the corn had zero role in the murders. In children of the corn at least they got the corn involved. In this one, despite the site of the screams being explicitly defined to be in the field, the corn was...just there. I was hoping for at least some cob through the skull action.

It's like all those low budget movies that have a big name listed as a star and it turns out the guy has 5 minutes of low-effort screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's like all those low budget movies that have a big name listed as a star and it turns out the guy has 5 minutes of low-effort screen time.

It's more offensive than that because at least those other movies aren't titled like "BruceWillis: punches to the face"