Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I will admit that if I explicitly try to look for what part of the rainbow looks "most whiteish" on that chart I'd settle on that area too, but I think that's more a weird artifact of my monitor / optical illusion than anything else. I mean it doesn't look white by itself but it does look the most white of all the other colors, if that makes any sense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incredible. It seems very possible that actionjackson has a mild case of undiagnosed tritanopia.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Holy poo poo. Powerful internet diagnosis if so.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Amazing if true.

One of my favourite videos on colour science might also be relevant to the broader discussion on colour science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYbdx4I7STg

A key difference between the RGB colour model for an emissive display and a white light source is that just using three LEDs at red green and blue (no matter how precise the wavelengths are) makes a horrible white lamp.
I tried making white light using those neopixel RGB LED strips a few years ago and found that light made me effectively red-orange-yellow colourblind, since the reflective properties of whatever the subject is is sampled at three sharp wavelength lines, rather than getting an average over a wider range.
There is also the issue of fluorescent materials which might only be activated by certain wavelength ranges that aren't there for trichromatic light, but would be there in the equivalent blackbody spectrum.

This is separate from colour temperature, and is often measured at a percentage called CRI, where >90% is getting into acceptable territory. (CRI is not uncontroversial, but it is a measure that is often actually listed for LED lights, unlike the emissions spectrum).
To be clear AFAIK CRI has no real relation to colour temperature, it should represent how good the light is at being whatever colour temperature it is designed to be.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lmao holy gently caress

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO8WEDjn3pc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

petit choux posted:

All my experience in this is just trying to make my alarm clock less bright. YMMV. BTW, have you looked at the documentation for your fridge to see if there are any ways of adjusting that?

How about getting some of that window tinting film teenagers and ricers like to put on their cars and putting that over your display window?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Incredible. It seems very possible that actionjackson has a mild case of undiagnosed tritanopia.

Hell of a way to find out if so. "What do you mean there's no such thing as monochromatic white light?!"

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

longview posted:

There is also the issue of fluorescent materials which might only be activated by certain wavelength ranges that aren't there for trichromatic light, but would be there in the equivalent blackbody spectrum.

I have a chunk of Nd:YAG laser material sitting on a shelf, it was always a light purple color until I installed some LED lights and then it turned clear like glass. You can pick it up and walk into the next room where I have a different type of bulb and it turns purple again. Apparently the Nd is absorbing some wavelength and re-emitting into the visible range and that excitation wavelength isn't emitted by the LED bulbs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Hell of a way to find out if so. "What do you mean there's no such thing as monochromatic white light?!"

sorry to be a buzzkill, but it looks completely yellow to me now. I use f.lux, which now is at 5000K because it's morning. You'll see my original post was at 8:20 pm last night, when the color temperature is set to be much lower. So the whitish appearance is related to these filters. tonight I'll post how it looks both now and then in the evening so you can see the difference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dang, I was that close to getting my online optometry license.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

sorry to be a buzzkill, but it looks completely yellow to me now. I use f.lux, which now is at 5000K because it's morning. You'll see my original post was at 8:20 pm last night, when the color temperature is set to be much lower. So the whitish appearance is related to these filters. tonight I'll post how it looks both now and then in the evening so you can see the difference.

*pumps fist in the air and cheers at this post*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/oyppvom.mp4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

only in my dreams would my fridge be piss colored

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would probably be hard to get he piss mist reliably as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

as promised, here's a screenshot taken at 9:10 PM, where f.lux is at 1900K

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think it bypasses f.lux. You could take a picture, but we believe you.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You mean that white patch in the middle there?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ante posted:

I think it bypasses f.lux. You could take a picture, but we believe you.

ah that's a good point

yes the area from about 550-575 appears whitish when viewed with a filter at such a low color temperature

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

ah that's a good point

yes the area from about 550-575 appears whitish when viewed with a filter at such a low color temperature

:ssh: actually what is happening is f.lux has changed the white background of the graphic to yellow, and the specific setting you're using has white objects transformed so they match that part of the spectrum. The spectrum is still objectively yellow, but you're reading it as a "white" stripe in the middle because you know the background is meant to be white and your brain is compensating.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

:ssh: actually what is happening is f.lux has changed the white background of the graphic to yellow, and the specific setting you're using has white objects transformed so they match that part of the spectrum. The spectrum is still objectively yellow, but you're reading it as a "white" stripe in the middle because you know the background is meant to be white and your brain is compensating.

I think there's at least some nugget of truth in here

Still really* sad to hear we didn't internet diagnose actionjackson with colorblindness

*not really

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
ive become an actionjackson truther, that mofo isn't just colorblind they are using a screenreader.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still don't understand why actionjackson thought the spectrum of visible light would have white on it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

I still don't understand why actionjackson thought the spectrum of visible light would have white on it.

Stuck in color temperature brain space? That's a spectrum with white in the middle. Color temperature can make a lot of this stuff more confusing by being just barely different enough.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Fun fact, you can make white light with only two wavelengths, aka dichromatic white light sources!
https://ocw.snu.ac.kr/sites/default/files/NOTE/795.pdf

Basically just draw a line through two points on the 1931 chart to intersect whatever kind of white you like and there's your primaries:

So somewhere around blue/cyan and green/orange can be mixed to make the worlds shittiest white light.

This can be useful if you're making a white/blue/yellow palette emissive display I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

longview posted:

Fun fact, you can make white light with only two wavelengths, aka dichromatic white light sources!
https://ocw.snu.ac.kr/sites/default/files/NOTE/795.pdf

Basically just draw a line through two points on the 1931 chart to intersect whatever kind of white you like and there's your primaries:

So somewhere around blue/cyan and green/orange can be mixed to make the worlds shittiest white light.

This can be useful if you're making a white/blue/yellow palette emissive display I guess.

Ikea 'white' LEDs are like this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pretty much all white LEDs use a blue or violet emitter that pumps a yellow-orange phosphor coating, and the combination produces a reasonably good white light. You can see the yellow phosphor when you look directly into a white LED (when it is turned off, obviously). Better color rendering is achieved with better phosphors that produce a wider spectrum.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Most tunable white smartbulbs will have a cool white and a warm white LED.

I mentioned earlier that white is complicated.

This line on the 1931 XY colormetry graph is called the black body* curve:

Our eyes / brain interpret the entire thing as "white". Towards the left, you get the cool white (usually 5000-7000k is a good value) and the right is warm white (usually about 3000k).

Phosphor coating is the preferred way to get a white LED, because the other way is a mixture of individual colours, and that is awful.

The spectral distribution I posted earlier is an example of that, it is a high quality light, high CRI:

Here's an example of a colour mixture:

It has a low CRI. It'll also look white if you're just staring at it, but that's not really how you experience light.

Every object has a similar graph describing how they reflect light.

To borrow early graphs, here is what an amber object would look like:

That means the object acts kinda like a filter. It only bounces back the amber portion of whatever source light is illuminating it.
However, imagine shining that second white light on this object. It only bounces back amber light, but hey, there is nothing on the spectrum in that range. The object will appear black.

The first illuminant we looked at? Plenty of light in that spectrum. The option will render accurately, it'll still be amber.

The measure of how well a light does this across a series of (made up, imaginary) samples is the Colour Rendering Index, or CRI.

* everything I've talked about in the last few pages have a lot more depth to them, I know about the D65 illuminant, don't @ me, gently caress
colour theory is an insanely complicated topic

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Crankit posted:

ive become an actionjackson truther, that mofo isn't just colorblind they are using a screenreader.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why is the text purple

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bit of an obscure one here: How do you reconcile Scipy.signal's IIR design with CMSIS-DISP's API? Scipy.signal outputs in one of 3 forms:

- Numerator/denominator
- Pole Zero
- Second-Order-Sections.

CMSIS requires an array of length a multiple of five. Each 5 values are coefficients b0, b1, b2, a1, and a2 for a filter state: "*Coefficients b0, b1 and b2 multiply the input signal x[n] and are referred to as the feedforward coefficients. Coefficients a1 and a2 multiply the output signal y[n] and are referred to as the feedback coefficients. Pay careful attention to the sign of the feedback coefficients. Some design tools use the difference equation*"

Scipy's formats seem incompatible: Numerator/Denominator uses "b" and "a" terminology, but returns 2 arrays: A numerator array of lengh 6, and denominator array of len 6.
SOS format also returns arrays of length 6.

This is in contrast to FIR, where there's a 1-to-1 mapping. Ie both use an array of coefficients corresponding to a convolution kernel. IIR seems more diverse by comparison.

scipy.signal.iirdesign

CMSIS-DSP Biquad Cascade

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Generally, you scale the world so that a0 (0th feedback coefficient) is 1

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you! That makes sense.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Anybody know of any good hands-on pneumatic logic resources? i havent worked with this stuff in years and it isn't coming back to me as quick as i'd like. neither basic digital logic nor PLC-type ladder logic are that tricky for me but i forgot that pure pneumatic logic is "fucky to implement" and "not quite the same as normal digital logic", you kind of get steered into working with a limited set of valve-circuit-equivalent Logic Units and not working problems the way you would if high pressure air wasn't involved.

for those playing at home, i figured out what i was looking for, i didn't offer much to go off of; i was looking for which logic functions get used and how they're physically implemented, because i was looking to recreate them from scratch as a part of some exploratory 3d prints. found a nice cheat-sheet with the highlights all in one place:

i was kind of hoping to use simple ball check valve variants as much as possible because they're relatively easy to get working acceptably at small scales, but i probably wont be able to avoid printing tiny valve spools and such, alas

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I restored this quite old alarm clock radio (brand DUX). Meguiars Plast-X works quite well for cleaning up these old things. I didn't manage to get the alarm function to work properly though, but I don't use it.

I wanted to get rid of my modern clock radio because I too had the problem of a display being too loving bright. And the radio quality sucked poo poo through a straw. This one gets incredible reception on FM. Nobody here sends on MW anymore so that dates it a bit. But all I found inside was an old ferrite wound antenna, I didn't know those could get FM reception too, but it's all I found.

(I cleaned the volume control afterwards)

Looks a lot better irl than the photos indicate.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nobody here sends on MW anymore so that dates it a bit. But all I found inside was an old ferrite wound antenna, I didn't know those could get FM reception too, but it's all I found.

I've never seen a radio where the AM band was labeled MW. Is this a European thing?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

speaking of alarm clocks, I'd love to get an analog one, but how do you deal with there being no am/pm setting for the alarm? do you have to turn it off and then turn on the alarm again every day so it doesn't go off every 12 hours instead of 24?

https://us.braun-clocks.com/collections/analogue-clocks/products/bc02x-braun-classic-analogue-travel-alarm-clock-grey

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

I restored this quite old alarm clock radio (brand DUX). Meguiars Plast-X works quite well for cleaning up these old things. I didn't manage to get the alarm function to work properly though, but I don't use it.

I wanted to get rid of my modern clock radio because I too had the problem of a display being too loving bright. And the radio quality sucked poo poo through a straw. This one gets incredible reception on FM. Nobody here sends on MW anymore so that dates it a bit. But all I found inside was an old ferrite wound antenna, I didn't know those could get FM reception too, but it's all I found.

(I cleaned the volume control afterwards)

Looks a lot better irl than the photos indicate.

No, it looks great. Those little boxes on the right side with the screwdriver slot, what are those guys? Pots?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I've never seen a radio where the AM band was labeled MW. Is this a European thing?

It's a European and old-American thing, yeah. On real old radios (especially ones that also have shortwave) it'd be labeled MW or Broadcast. I think calling it "AM" only really became a thing once FM was commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SkunkDuster posted:

MW means Medium Wave, there's also Long Wave (LW) and Short Wave (SW).

I'm actually sad about the decline of MW and SW radio in europe :(