Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, that's definitely the standard I hold hundreds-of-millions dormitories to.
A BILLIONAIRE: gently caress I could have just built a multistorey car park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

nurmie posted:

dk if the topic of munger's student torture apparatus in the form of a house is still at all interesting, but get a load of the Billionaire Defender Squad logging on

"And if you can get past its monolithic city-in-a-cube scale, bring the costs down, and hammer out minor issues like fire safety and what to do if the power goes out, Dormzilla is fine."

:redflag::redflag::redflag:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zil posted:

Imagine the smell

no

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is the only urinals I need.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZIRZD9D

smax
Nov 9, 2009

We bought a house a couple months ago, it was full of poor decisions by the PO, as well as a few other things we wanted to fix. One of the lower priority things we wanted to fix was the main lighting in the kitchen- it was a boxed-in 4’ fluorescent fixture which just didn’t look too good. This weekend, it started flickering, then let out an almost comical BZZRT, so I figured the ballast had given out.

I managed to get the plastic cover/diffuser out of the way (barely), and tried to take the ballast cover out. The trim pieces on the box stuck inward enough that you physically couldn’t remove the metal cover. Great. Before tearing the thing apart, I decided to try swapping a bulb to see if the last bulb just gave out. Same problem, not enough room to remove a light bulb even. Put the bulbs back into the sockets and looked at the trim/box around the light. No obvious screws/fasteners anywhere.

Ended up taking a hammer to the trim around the light fixture. Turns out that the box was nailed together, then glued to the drywall on the ceiling, then sealed all around with caulk. There was no way to gracefully pull any of it down, so now I have a rectangle of drywall that’s torn off down to the paper around where the stupid light was.

We replaced it with a decent-looking LED light, but I’ll need to get some drywall guys/painters in to fix the whole mess now.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

smax posted:

We bought a house a couple months ago, it was full of poor decisions by the PO, as well as a few other things we wanted to fix. One of the lower priority things we wanted to fix was the main lighting in the kitchen- it was a boxed-in 4’ fluorescent fixture which just didn’t look too good. This weekend, it started flickering, then let out an almost comical BZZRT, so I figured the ballast had given out.

I managed to get the plastic cover/diffuser out of the way (barely), and tried to take the ballast cover out. The trim pieces on the box stuck inward enough that you physically couldn’t remove the metal cover. Great. Before tearing the thing apart, I decided to try swapping a bulb to see if the last bulb just gave out. Same problem, not enough room to remove a light bulb even. Put the bulbs back into the sockets and looked at the trim/box around the light. No obvious screws/fasteners anywhere.

Ended up taking a hammer to the trim around the light fixture. Turns out that the box was nailed together, then glued to the drywall on the ceiling, then sealed all around with caulk. There was no way to gracefully pull any of it down, so now I have a rectangle of drywall that’s torn off down to the paper around where the stupid light was.

We replaced it with a decent-looking LED light, but I’ll need to get some drywall guys/painters in to fix the whole mess now.

How does someone break out a caulking gun to work on the ceiling and not realize that they're doing something terribly wrong?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That story is like the number one reason I shy away from removing structural light fixtures from my house. Too much risk.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Munger's own defense of THE CUBE is...something
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...dents-1.6234462

quote:

If you go on a Disney cruise ship and pay $20,000 a week for a fancy stateroom, it uses an artificial window instead of a real one.

And that's what we do in these what he calls "windowless bedrooms."

When you look at them, the way they're curtained and so forth, you can't tell if they're artificial by looking at them, and they admit the exact spectrum of real sunlight.

That's a lot to expect of an artificial window, but they do something else that a real-world window can't do it all.

You can turn a knob and change the sunlight to brighten it up or down. So if you're a romantic, you can tamp it down. If you want more bright light and so forth, you can turn the sunlight up just by twisting a knob.

In many respects, these things are actually better than real windows.

quote:

Buildings actually exist with no windows at all in Michigan and people are living in them fine.

quote:

Well, everybody would prefer to have real windows if it were feasible. But it's a game of trade-offs, architecture.

Crappy construction: Well, everybody would prefer to have real windows if it were feasible. But it's a game of trade-offs, architecture.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That story is like the number one reason I shy away from removing structural light fixtures from my house. Too much risk.

I had my suspicions, so I was avoiding it as much as possible. The light failure and the realization that the stupid installation prevented changing out a bulb, much less the ballast, forced my hand in tearing it out.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

smax posted:

I had my suspicions, so I was avoiding it as much as possible. The light failure and the realization that the stupid installation prevented changing out a bulb, much less the ballast, forced my hand in tearing it out.

You probably would've been doing some fixes even without the gobs of adhesive. I pulled down one of those old, wood-box framed fluorescent fixtures in my laundry room to replace with a LED fixture, and the foam on the wood box pulled drywall paper off. That plus the discoloration in the shape of the old light meant I was skim coating and painting anyway. Luckily, you're not going to notice a non-perfect drywall/paint job on the ceiling, especially if you have an eye-searing LED fixture up there.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Munger's own defense of THE CUBE is...something
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...dents-1.6234462

Crappy construction: Well, everybody would prefer to have real windows if it were feasible. But it's a game of trade-offs, architecture.

Is he aware that when you pay for one of those staterooms, it's for a couple weeks max and in the meantime you're going to vacation spots?

Like if he's going to compare the cube to a Disney cruise, where's the mouse? When's the breakfast buffet? Does housekeeping offer turndown service?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BonerGhost posted:

Is he aware that when you pay for one of those staterooms, it's for a couple weeks max and in the meantime you're going to vacation spots?

Like if he's going to compare the cube to a Disney cruise, where's the mouse? When's the breakfast buffet? Does housekeeping offer turndown service?

More to the point, there's a ton of poo poo that's mildly inconvenient and even charming when you're doing it voluntarily but is inhumane to force on someone.

Sleeping in a tent in the woods and making GBS threads in a hole you dug can be a really fun getaway if you're into camping, but building a giant homeless camp wouldn't be optimal for student housing either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also like Mr. Billionaire has ever been anywhere near the window-less interior state rooms on a cruise poo poo. Maybe he read a brochure about them while sitting on the fantail suite, but more likely he read the brochure while sitting in the stateroom of his yacht. Comparing your windowless cell to a Disney cruise stateroom is some serious "how much could a banana cost, Michael" energy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cruise ships. A well known example of extremely healthy disease-free environments.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Windowless rooms with full spectrum sunlight panels eh?
Are we sure this isn't a massive, stealth grow-op?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

EmptyVessel posted:

Windowless rooms with full spectrum sunlight panels eh?
Are we sure this isn't a massive, stealth grow-op?
It's a uni dorm at a California university. Guaranteed at least a few people will grow weed in there. New idea - build the building, turn the entire thing into a grow op and then use the proceeds to build some dorms with goddamn windows.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gimme a liter of barg

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I really hope they come out in plain white cans with black text labels.

THANKS FOR CHOOSING PEPSI

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's a uni dorm at a California university. Guaranteed at least a few people will grow weed in there. New idea - build the building, turn the entire thing into a grow op and then use the proceeds to build some dorms with goddamn windows.

As was mentioned in the WTYP episode, the kicker is that THE CUBE is projected to cost $1.5 billion (that's over $200k per student) and Munger is only footing 1/10th of the cost.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Build it.
Turn all the windowless rooms into nurseries for various modern and legacy strains of weed.
Put weed and smoking gear stalls, dance zones, chill out rooms, munchies dispensaries, coffee shops, etc., etc. in the communal spaces.
Rent the windowed rooms out to stoner tourists.
All profit after costs goes into aggressively buying up existing local housing (to get round those zoning restrictions) to re-purpose as student accommodation and funding improved infrastructure and public transport so students can get to their classes/stoner tourists can go be touristy .
Done.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They would have been better to have told him to piss off. Now they have the ever present potential of a "Hundreds of Students killed in Fire" headline looming.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Youth Decay posted:

As was mentioned in the WTYP episode, the kicker is that THE CUBE is projected to cost $1.5 billion (that's over $200k per student) and Munger is only footing 1/10th of the cost.

Yea I don't get how this thing can cost so much. Someone is getting a cut if their costs are that high.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well I just don't believe the intersection of construction and college would be a scam.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea I don't get how this thing can cost so much. Someone is getting a cut if their costs are that high.

Have you priced the machinery required to move rooms around and the self resetting deadly traps lately? It’s insane.

They kinda simplify the whole college experience by charging full tuition on day one and then just letting students enter The Cube.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

iv46vi posted:

Have you priced the machinery required to move rooms around and the self resetting deadly traps lately? It’s insane.

They kinda simplify the whole college experience by charging full tuition on day one and then just letting students enter The Cube.

:nfpa:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Blistex posted:

Finished the first run of my stairs. Double 3/4" ply for the treads, single 3/4 ply for the risers. A builder friend stopped by and said I had hosed up the stringers, because they would never fit together right.

(Put the treads and risers in the slots on one side, then put the other Stringer on top and hammer them into the slots on the other(PL already applied, then screw and nail).

It's tacked into place right now. Need a wall on the other side and some 2x6 beams on the ends and tapconned into the floor.

jaded burnout eat your fuckin' heart out!!!!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

jaded burnout eat your fuckin' heart out!!!!!

Idgi

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't think that huge gap between top step and 2nd floor is permanent

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shaking my head

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Forums user Jaded Burnout has a thread in which they renovate their house and had some issues with the stairs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dear Lord I wish there was more than just one photo of this place:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/85-E-Canyonview-Dr-Ransom-Canyon-TX-79366/54084618_zpid/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know who you are but get the gently caress out of my Fallout 4 save file.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Enjoy

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

peanut posted:

I don't think that huge gap between top step and 2nd floor is permanent

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blistex posted:

Finished the first run of my stairs. Double 3/4" ply for the treads, single 3/4 ply for the risers. A builder friend stopped by and said I had hosed up the stringers, because they would never fit together right.

(Put the treads and risers in the slots on one side, then put the other Stringer on top and hammer them into the slots on the other(PL already applied, then screw and nail).

It's tacked into place right now. Need a wall on the other side and some 2x6 beams on the ends and tapconned into the floor.

You are now protected.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Forums user Jaded Burnout has a thread in which they renovate their house and had some issues with the stairs.

The thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&perpage=40

He's been working on those stairs for over a year I think?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

But have you seen this?

I met the man who built both of these. I also met his wife on several occasions. They're both dead now. The cow is creepy on the inside. It looks like a weirdos basement den. The pagoda is unsafe to enter.

He built them by hand. His wife hated them. As far as I know, they're still standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mostlygray posted:

The cow is creepy on the inside.

Also the outside.