Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly i've wanted solskjær to do well partially because of nationalist fervour and partially to spite the hideous goblins that make up the english football commentariat, but if he's not going to do well i think they ought to sack him ASAP so i can go back to being happy about man utd. eating poo poo

What members of the English football commentariat do you imagine would be upset about a 1990s Man Utd player succeeding? Most of them were his teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly i've wanted solskjær to do well partially because of nationalist fervour and partially to spite the hideous goblins that make up the english football commentariat, but if he's not going to do well i think they ought to sack him ASAP so i can go back to being happy about man utd. eating poo poo

You mean the same "commentariat" who have spent 3 years refusing to criticise him?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Calling for managers to be sacked is actually bad and I would never do it, unless I didn't know them personally

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is some actual good news

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1457657951024467971?s=20

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hart was a really good shot stopper and was pretty solid in the air but then stopped stopping shots, which is bad if your main thing is being a shot stopper.

he was probably overrated a bit due to being english but he did just fine at the highest levels of the sport right up until his brain melted

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Joe fart

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

It'll be safe at Cardiff as they barely get 10k in their 30k seat stadium.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
(safely) stand up if you hate man u

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its done finally

https://twitter.com/NUFC/status/1457724769592356868?s=20

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Howe isn't exactly the rock star appointment many were expecting under the new ownership though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Eddie "Mark Hughes" Howe

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Liverpool quickly running around adding a zero to the price list on their U23 squad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Liverpool quickly running around adding a zero to the price list on their U23 squad.

this might stop him hopefully

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/1457708499211849732?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bring back Joe Kinnear, IMO.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

his rant would be a lot more threatening now

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Andoman posted:

Howe isn't exactly the rock star appointment many were expecting under the new ownership though.
I don't think too many (newcastle fans, at least) were expecting one. The reaction's been overwhelmingly positive so far.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

peanut- posted:

What members of the English football commentariat do you imagine would be upset about a 1990s Man Utd player succeeding? Most of them were his teammates.

Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, and other people who troll good footballers because they got nutmegged eight times a game in training and had to eat with Neil Mellor

Souness and Keane are increasingly turning into Statler and Waldorf, but at least they can say that they have the background to justify it

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, and other people who troll good footballers because they got nutmegged eight times a game in training and had to eat with Neil Mellor

Souness and Keane are increasingly turning into Statler and Waldorf, but at least they can say that they have the background to justify it

Bald

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Remembering the time he tried to sign Shane Ferguson when he was already signed for Newcastle.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Newcastle need some stability. Sure hope he doesn’t get torn to pieces by the new management if he slips up.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

African AIDS cum posted:

He made saves for the camera on shots off target and dove around and shouted a lot which = good goalkeeping to the english so they thought he was good. In reality they should have kept Schmeichel.

Yeah not disagreeing with the above analysis but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t one of the best if not the best GKs in the prem at the time (lol)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Yeah not disagreeing with the above analysis but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t one of the best if not the best GKs in the prem at the time (lol)

Weren’t Reina, Van der Saar and Cech all still playing in the PL then? Maybe the top English goalkeeper in the prem. And only if he was the only one. Then sure.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Gigi Galli posted:

Weren’t Reina, Van der Saar and Cech all still playing in the PL then? Maybe the top English goalkeeper in the prem. And only if he was the only one. Then sure.

Yeah those three had way better careers but were on the tail ends of them by the prime Joe Fart era

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Cech was really good towards the end at Chelsea even though he got ousted by Courtois. I don't think there's a point in time where picking Hart over Cech really made sense unless you're counting the brief period where his skull was caved in.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Always got the feeling Hart looked better than he actually was thanks to City's defense.

This became fairly apparent in his apps for England

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Always got the feeling Hart looked better than he actually was thanks to City's defense.

He was also the definition of tv-saves, see: Given, Shay

E: It's a bit like a bunch of man utd fans on reddit think Bailly is insanely cool & good because he does a lot of crazy clearances - the only reason he does those is because he constantly puts himself in hopeless situations to begin with.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

peanut- posted:

the people who work at newspapers i guess, i don't watch british tv

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah I'd say TV in general has been fairly nice to Solskjær but newspapers definitely haven't, and a few journos have outright hated him from the very first minute. Looking at people like Mark Ogden, Samuel Luckhurst and Duncan Castles

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

kompany was elite but he also had to deal with lescott and Micah Richards. they were certainly good but they weren't a world beaters by any means.

it is a really interesting study on how positions change and how important confidence is especially for goalies. that whole thing with bravo was just so strange

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

E: It's a bit like a bunch of man utd fans on reddit think Bailly is insanely cool & good because he does a lot of crazy clearances - the only reason he does those is because he constantly puts himself in hopeless situations to begin with.

Better that than standing around with his arm up looking gormless like ARE CAPTAIN.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

Better that than standing around with his arm up looking gormless like ARE CAPTAIN.

It really isn't

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Twitter is such a cesspool lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

TheRat posted:

Twitter is such a cesspool lmao

Fond memories of Massimo cellinos daughter putting bikini pics on her insta with 500 Leeds fans in her comments telling her to convince her dad to sign a left back

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Hart would beat his chest like a gorilla while shouting at his team. He had the same empty "passion" and "leadership" that Pickford does.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 9, 2021

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Hart could overarm throw a ball in quite a satisfying way and he saved and scored a penalty in a shootout a couple of times which is fun. He also sprinted the length of the pitch to save a goal when he'd gone up the other end for a late set piece that one time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

Hart could overarm throw a ball in quite a satisfying way and he saved and scored a penalty in a shootout a couple of times which is fun. He also sprinted the length of the pitch to save a goal when he'd gone up the other end for a late set piece that one time.

I genuinely think you have to go back to Ray Clemence to get a regular England keeper who you don't have to give a disclaimer for. Going backwards on this list, ignoring players with less than 10 caps:

Pickford: Astonishing stopper of any shot within 6 inches of his shoulders, anything further is a problem.
Joe Hart: Classic Dracula keeper - looks invincible right up until he sees a cross.
Rob Green: Lovely bloke but even West Ham fans were a bit "Woof, really?" when he got his call up.
David James: Another from the vampire bloodline, but also with a nice side hustle in unbelievable lapses of concentration. Best cheekbones on an England international ever, though.
Tim Flowers and Nigel Martyn: Hard to tell in the Taylor-era malaise, Lev Yashin would have struggled behind some of the loving weird shapes England were in.
David Seaman: Absolutely solid and reliable until having to deal with any kind of lob, also insisted on trying to be a sweeper keeper despite this. Also persistent crimes against humanity in his hair choices.
Chris Woods: Weirdly the opposite of Seaman - never, ever, left his line, but with a good sensible haircut. Also played for Rangers and really that's a flaw of its own.
Ray Clemence: Definitely wouldn't have been out-jumped by a five-and-a-half foot Argentinian or fallen flat on his arse dealing with a routine deflected shot. England would have won the World Cup in 86 *and* 90 if he'd been in goal instead of that loving Tory Peter Shilton. Now you might say he retired in 88 but I say wouldn't you cut your career short if that pube-headed oval office kept getting picked in front of you?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tsaedje posted:

He also sprinted the length of the pitch to save a goal when he'd gone up the other end for a late set piece that one time.

Wasn’t this against United or Arsenal or someone else who was good at the time? This was in fact cool, and good.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Wasn’t this against United or Arsenal or someone else who was good at the time? This was in fact cool, and good.

Indeed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HJkIKSE8Uvg&feature=youtu.be

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Joe Hart was like the archetype of overrated English player - low on intelligence, high on pashyun, loved a good shout and chest beat, then when he finally went abroad to a midtable side was quickly exposed as a wasteman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I genuinely think you have to go back to Ray Clemence to get a regular England keeper who you don't have to give a disclaimer for. Going backwards on this list, ignoring players with less than 10 caps:

Rob Green: Lovely bloke but even West Ham fans were a bit "Woof, really?" when he got his call up.

I remember the wonderful post-Rob Green / pre-Hart era when there was Actual Discourse about whether it was worth calling up Manuel Almunia to the England team.