Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My Terunofuji tegata arrived:

It doesn't show incredibly well in the picture but the ink is a bit of an orange red.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Shiroc posted:

My Terunofuji tegata arrived:

It doesn't show incredibly well in the picture but the ink is a bit of an orange red.

hell yeah, that rules

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If anyone else wants one, there is a flood of them right now. I presume he made A LOT on the yokozuna promotion. I kinda appreciate how the calligraphy for his name is a lot more scribbly than older ones I've seen. Dude just needed to work down the stacks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really appreciate these, and I really want a few but they're JUUUST out of my impulse buy price range. I think I'll invest in some once I've thought of a good place to hang them. I have a handful of "replica" printed tegata which are essentially just lying on a shelf because I can't find a good spot. Would be a super shame for that to happen to an expensive authentic handprint.

But at the same time I'm a little worried that everyone who I'd want a tegata from is either faltering or at the end of their career making me worry about future availability and prices. Economics game, man :q:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I got gifted Terunofuji and Takakeisho tegatas for my birthday, they're super cool in person but they'll be even better once I get around to framing them.

Loved that post too Shiroc, now I know what the stamps mean, neat!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Martytoof posted:

I really appreciate these, and I really want a few but they're JUUUST out of my impulse buy price range. I think I'll invest in some once I've thought of a good place to hang them. I have a handful of "replica" printed tegata which are essentially just lying on a shelf because I can't find a good spot. Would be a super shame for that to happen to an expensive authentic handprint.

But at the same time I'm a little worried that everyone who I'd want a tegata from is either faltering or at the end of their career making me worry about future availability and prices. Economics game, man :q:

Yeah the rule about not being allowed to make any more after you retire adds a degree of complexity and potential cost. There seems to have been a flood of similar batch looking Hakuho ones, which makes me wonder how much of his last couple weeks was spent making them for everybody who could possibly want one.

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I got gifted Terunofuji and Takakeisho tegatas for my birthday, they're super cool in person but they'll be even better once I get around to framing them.

Loved that post too Shiroc, now I know what the stamps mean, neat!

Those are nice ones. I love how the fingertips on Takakeisho's are just a little bit inkier than everything else.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
People who know more about it than me: what are the chances we're looking at a period without a Yokozuna in the near future? I understand there have only been two times in the past hundred years that this has happened. I also understand that there doesn't need to be a Yokozuna; you can have a basho without one, but you need ōzeki, sekiwake and komusubi at the top of the card.

How long can Terunofuji's knees last? How much better do Shōdai and Takakeishō have to be doing before they can be considered for promotion?

Correct me if I've got the details wrong, I'm mostly piecing this together from wikipedia pages.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Memento posted:

How much better do Shōdai and Takakeishō have to be doing before they can be considered for promotion?

They have to win back to back bashos or have something the YDC considers comparable. Winning a basho and then losing to Terunofuji in a playoff would probably do it, for example.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Memento posted:

People who know more about it than me: what are the chances we're looking at a period without a Yokozuna in the near future? I understand there have only been two times in the past hundred years that this has happened. I also understand that there doesn't need to be a Yokozuna; you can have a basho without one, but you need ōzeki, sekiwake and komusubi at the top of the card.

How long can Terunofuji's knees last? How much better do Shōdai and Takakeishō have to be doing before they can be considered for promotion?

Correct me if I've got the details wrong, I'm mostly piecing this together from wikipedia pages.

Honestly, if Teru had hosed up his rope run, we would BE in a period without a Yokozuna for an unknown amount of time, so if his knees turn to dust again...God knows I love Takakeisho but he's inconsistent and very one-note, and Shodai is good, but like, not dominant good? They'd need two outstanding tournaments in a row tho and they haven't been able to even approach that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i can't see a yokozuna among the current crop as they're currently fighting, so i'd consider a period without a yokozuna within the next couple of years to be about even money odds. teru's knees are taped as much as ligaments can be, but with his rank safe i can see him limping on for another couple of years. more than enough time for future yokozuna abi to win 6 basho in a row before the ydc finally admits he might have what it takes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Can't see the current Ozeki mounting the summit anytime soon. Unless they put on some amazing displays within the next year at any rate. I was holding out hope that Asanoyama would make the jump from an also ran and stat putting together the results for a Yokozuna bid, apart from injury he has always won double figure bouts during a basho, but that won't be happening anytime soon. We could be looking at a Yokozuna-less basho sometime in the next few years, but it won't be so bad, by then you could have some exiting up and coming wrestlers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think Takakeisho could do it if he got and stayed healthy and if he got some lucky kyujo among the opposition.

I don't see that happening though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Yeah a healthy takakeisho would be my current bet too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think there's an EXCEEDINGLY high chance we go into a period where we have no active Yokozuna. I love Teru, I hope he has a long long career ahead of him, but knee problems are terrifying and can escalate .. well, deteriorate .. rapidly. Clearly he's been living with his for a while so that's the only thing giving me some small comfort, but I hope he actually does a Hakuho and considers his personal health and safety when a doctor inevitably tells him "yeah we're gonna have to replace it with a rusty barn door hinge" and calls it quits.

Balanced with me being in total agreement that NONE of the current crop of Ozeki look like they have what it takes, I'd say how long we live with no Yokozuna is entirely reliant on how quickly his knees pop. I wouldn't be surprised if it were like 2+ years (without, assuming he pops quickly)

A healthy Takakeisho would also be my "likeliest" pick, but I don't see him staying healthy for long periods. I sincerely and desperately hope he proved me wrong.

Barring that I'd say it's someone just making their way up now but who hasn't shown that spark of excellence yet or someone who hasn't figured out how to stay consistent yet. Like Wakatakakge, Endo. I'm kind of hyped on Abi right now but I forgot he was kind of middling. Maybe Asanoyama when he comes back in 400 years.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 8, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah takakeisho is kinda mitakeumi+ to me in results tho not in technique and I can't see either doing it as long as terunofuji's around. best bet is one of the younger joi-jin really take a leap forwards while teurunofuji has to miss a basho or two but not enough to force intai.

if it does end up being asanoyama or abi that would be really interesting as we'd have to conclude that some sort of forced break that causes a rikishi to reassess hsi sumo as they drop down the banzuke is beneficial long term

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 8, 2021

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I might be missing something but how is Abi in the discussion? He’s certainly a good sumotori but his peak so far is Komisubi and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen him truly dominant for an extended period of time (although I may just not t have been paying close attention). Is it just because he’s been tearing up the lower divisions on his comeback tour?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think definitely rose coloured glasses seeing someone wreck the competition for 4+ basho but forgetting that he's essentially been playing on "easy mode". I had the same thoughts about Ura -- I remembered him being good but watching him wreck until he got to Juryo really skewed my memory. Abi was good but I don't think he was ever really AMAZING since he debuted in makuuchi. Or maybe now I'm remembering wrong, who knows.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People just wanna see that shiko in the yokozuna dohyo-iri.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Look at this guy. In his first basho he went 2-5, then went up 4 places. His second he went 3-4 and went up 6 places his, third he went 3-2-2 and went up 2 places to sit currently at Jk2w heading into the November basho. Division 6 is wild!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I think definitely rose coloured glasses seeing someone wreck the competition for 4+ basho but forgetting that he's essentially been playing on "easy mode". I had the same thoughts about Ura -- I remembered him being good but watching him wreck until he got to Juryo really skewed my memory. Abi was good but I don't think he was ever really AMAZING since he debuted in makuuchi. Or maybe now I'm remembering wrong, who knows.

Abi was just as one-dimensional as Takakeisho and was nowhere near as good as the latter when it came to tsuppari, mainly because of his lovely footwork and lack of a good left hand.

Unless he's vastly improved in his belt skills, I don't think much of his ozeki chances, let alone yokozuna.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 8, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

yeah takakeisho is kinda mitakeumi+ to me in results tho not in technique and I can't see either doing it as long as terunofuji's around.

Takakeisho’s health is obviously a question mark, but what’s the argument against his technique? As good as Teru is, he’s not an all conquering monster like Hak. Takakeisho has already put up a 12J/13Y run in the midst of Teru’s rise and has a 4-4 record including playoffs head to head and the last 4 times he’s been healthy he’s had a yusho, playoff loss, straight jun-yusho and a third place where if he had won his day 15 matchup it would have forced a 3 way playoff. If he can somehow stay healthy for a whole year I’d think he’s more likely than not to string together a credible run.

I think there’s an unfortunate but not impossible future where he pulls out a yusho, then starts like 12-1 the following tourney, has another mid tourney injury and goes full Kisenosato to pull out the win but loving himself up permanently since he doesn’t know if he’ll manage another shot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

Takakeisho’s health is obviously a question mark, but what’s the argument against his technique? As good as Teru is, he’s not an all conquering monster like Hak. Takakeisho has already put up a 12J/13Y run in the midst of Teru’s rise and has a 4-4 record including playoffs head to head and the last 4 times he’s been healthy he’s had a yusho, playoff loss, straight jun-yusho and a third place where if he had won his day 15 matchup it would have forced a 3 way playoff. If he can somehow stay healthy for a whole year I’d think he’s more likely than not to string together a credible run.

I think there’s an unfortunate but not impossible future where he pulls out a yusho, then starts like 12-1 the following tourney, has another mid tourney injury and goes full Kisenosato to pull out the win but loving himself up permanently since he doesn’t know if he’ll manage another shot.

what i meant is that they're both kinda maddingly inconsistent with runs of brilliance even tho their fighting styles are different and takakeisho's clearly a level above. it's a fair point that more of his issues can be traced to injury but there were also those couple basho after he put on weight where he had clear endurance issues.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, it's time for the first post-Hakuho fantasy!

code:
Terunofuji   Yokozuna	
Shodai	      Ozeki	Takakeisho
Mitakeumi    Sekiwake	Meisei
Ichinojo     Komusubi	Kiribayama
Daieisho	M1	Wakatakakage
Onosho 		M2	Takanosho
Okinoumi	M3	Myogiryu
Takarafuji	M4	Endo
Takayasu	M5	Hoshoryu
Shimanoumi	M6	Tamawashi
Ura		M7	Chiyoshoma
Kotoeko		M8	Tobizaru
Aoiyama		M9	Hidenoumi
Chiyotairyu	M10	Asanoyama
Kotonowaka 	M11	Terutsuyoshi
Ishiura		M12	Hokutofuji
Yutakayama	M13	Tochinoshin
Kagayaki 	M14	Chiyonokuni
Chiyomaru 	M15	Abi
Akua		M16	Sadanoumi
Kaisei		M17	Shohozan
Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Get your draft picks in by Saturday night Pacific time so I can do the draft for Sunday!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also, new goonzuke just dropped.

code:
		   Kyushu 2021	

SA Goonzuke	

Ozeki	
GoatSeeGuy		1

Sekiwake	

captainblastum		1		Skjorte
Banana Canada		2		bartolimu

Komusubi	

bessantj		1		Tiny Bug Child
			2		whats for dinner

Maegashira

scripterror		1		MalarkeyToboggan
Tochiazuma		2		pseuodragon
Fluffdaddy		3		Everyones Favorite Poster
Brut			4		Pakled
Kenning			5		Thauros
anakha			6		Vargatron
Crusty Nutsack		7		Charles Gnarwin
Dias			8		jmzero
sivad			9		QuasiQuack
Khizan			10		Robviously
LlamaTrauma		11		Lid
Eli949			12		Chinook
Beeswax			13		Ice Phisherman
ilmucche		14		Marching Powder
Netsky			15		MyChemicalImbalance
Maigius			16		Helianthus Annuus
Bellwether		17		KungfuGrip

Juryo	

Cage Kicker		1		Sub Rosa
Liquid Communism	2		Martytoof
Shiroc			3		Teddybear
Communist Thoughts	4		Diplomat
Scythe			5		Takuan
Neodoomium		6		TwoWordName
Halloween Jack		7		NuclearPotato
Jobbo_Fett		8		Spokes
Gaghskull		9		Firebatgyro
Iron Chef Nex		10		rare Magic card l00k
Biosys			11		Log082
Foehammer007		12		Glugglugs
ratmosphere		13		
The main thing to watch for this time: Skortje and captainblastum are both on very strong goonzeki runs. If they get any sort of winning record beyond just barely scraping by they get the nod. Banana Canada could also leapfrog if they got a spectacular record this time out, although more likely they just need to record two solid tournaments in the san'yaku.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 29, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Alright, it's time for the first post-Hakuho fantasy!

Here goes nothing

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Meisei
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Endo
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Chiyoshoma

M11+:
Hokutofuji
Abi
Tochinoshin

Kenning posted:

Amazed at the work you put into this stuff.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Wow, I leapfrogged right over Komusubi and straight into Sekiwake. Is that even allowed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since I'm very very bad at picking winners, I left it to random.org/lists to pick my team. No cheating, there were my first die-rolls, except I omitted Asanoyama where he came up.

Judging from this list I'll still suck, but at least I can rest easy knowing I didn't doom myself. It was a random Internet script :|

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Meisei
Ichinojo
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Okinoumi
Endo
Onosho

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Tamawashi

M11+:
Yutakayama
Akua
Chiyomaru

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ichinojo
Meisei
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Takanosho
Takarafuji

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Tamawashi

M11+:
Abi
Hokutofuji
Shohozan

As is my custom, I waffled for a while over Tochinoshin before picking him anyways. The M11+ bracket is a tempting one this go round. Kaisei fighting to stay in makuuchi, Abi on his way back up from demotion, old man Shohozan back in the maegashira ranks... and Tochinoshin, with an iron grip and a glass knee. But he's gone 7-8 the last few times and alllllmost made his KK and I can't just jump ship while he's still managing that.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 14, 2021

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Ichinojo
Mitakeumi
Meisei

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Takarafuji

M6-10:
Tobizaru
Ura
Chiyotairyu

M11+:
Hokutofuji
Kaisei
Shohozan

Props to Shohozan for making it back up.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ichinojo
Kiribayama
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Okinoumi
Onosho
Wakatakakage

M6-10:
Asanoyama
Ura
Tamawashi

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Hokutofuji
Abi

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Ichinojo
Kiribayama
Meisei

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M6-10:
Simanoumi
Koteoko
Ura

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Kagayaki
Kaisei

Gaghskull fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 10, 2021

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Fantasy time? :getin:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Ichinojo
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Endo
Takarafuji

M6-10:
Ura
Chiyotairyu
Tobizaru

M11+:
Kotonowaka
Hokutofuji
Chiyomaru

Thanks again Kenning, top work!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am back from "injury" and looking to get back into the Makuuchi

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Meisei
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Daieisho
Onosho
Okinoumi

M6-10:
Ura
Chiyoshoma
Kotoeko

M11+:
Ishiura
Abi
Yutakayama

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The dawn of a new age, the age of Hoshoryu.
Stoked for sumo to be back!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Kiribayama
Meisei
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Onosho

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Tobizaru
Ura

M11+:
Hokutofuji
Teritsuyoshi
Ishiura

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Kiribayama
Meisei

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Daieisho
Onosho

M6-10:
Ura
Tobizaru
Aoiyama

M11+:
Abi
Hokotufuji
Terutsuyoshi

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Meisei
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Takayasu
Endo

M6-10:
Chiyotairyu
Kotoeko
Asanoyama

M11+:
Tochinoshin
Terutsuyoshi
Abi

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Ichinojo
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Takayasu
Onosho
Daieisho

M6-10:
Ura
Kotoeko
Tobizaru

M11+:
Ishiura
Terutsuyoshi
Abi

Kenning posted:

code:

Maegashira

17		KungfuGrip

i'm sweating more than a gyoji who got call wrong

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Ichinojo
Meisei
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Wakatakakage
Endo
Takayasu

M6-10:
Shimanoumi
Ura
Tobizaru

M11+:
Abi
Chiyomaru
Chiyonokuni

This time for fantasy sumo I've taken the bold step of actually reminding myself what everyone's records were coming out of Aki; we'll see if this pays off this time :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
All the way up to M14 :allears:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Meisei
Kiribayama
Ichinojo

M1-5:
Myogiryu
Onosho
Daieisho

M6-10:
Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma
Tobizaru

M11+:
TOCHINOSHIN
Akua
Yutakayama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Ichinojo
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Takayasu
Wakatakakage