Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

more like wizard disaster am I right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm just using my experience talking to vacc hesitant people. Younger gens absolutely for sure have that wakefield study poo poo floating around in their moron brains but plenty of people still remember thalidomide even if they only know it as the flipper baby drug

Yeah I dunno. My ex's aunty had polio as a kid and uses a wheel chair. She took a loooot of convincing from her nurse sister and neice to get the vaccine. I was fully vaccinated a month before she was.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Wow, I got sent a link to the (now defunct) "The Young IPA Podcast". They look just like the sort of insufferable shits you'd expect, three guesses for who the father of James Bolt is... Maybe I'll listen to one when I'm in a bad mood out on an angry run around the track.

https://ipa.org.au/ipa-tv/the-young-ipa-podcast

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

NPR Journalizard posted:

From memory a scientist was asked about something like this, and apparently if you are going to have an adverse reaction to a vaccine, it generally happens in the first few months. They tend not to just lay dormant for years and then decide to cause issues.
It makes sense that delayed issues from vaccines would be rare (although still hypothetically possible) if you lay out the steps involved in vaccination:

Pre-vaccine - no reason for a reaction
Exposure - you inject/swallow whatever the vaccine is made of and if it's going to cause a reaction it will
Reaction - your body gradually breaks down the contents of the vaccine and at the same time your immune system hopefully develops an antibody response to the antigen. If the antibodies are going to cause a problem this is when it is likely to start happening. Meanwhile you're running out of chances to react to the raw vaccine contents
Immunity - The antibodies have probably started doing anything they're going to do to you, and the contents of the vaccine have hopefully been eliminated from your system

It's reasonable based on past history and thinking through the mechanism to expect the vaccine will have no delayed adverse effects. This is especially true given that hundreds of millions of people have been living post-vaccine for months to a year at this point. There aren't really a lot of ticking time bombs in the human body, more like half lives and weighted chances. It's not "how many minutes until you get a blood clot and have a stroke" it's "what are the chances of it happening randomly on any given day?". The chance is higher for some people than others, but there's no countdown to it happening, and the low risk person might get hit before the high risk person. So if you take something that's "going to happen to every vaccine recipient in five years", you'd think it would have already started happening to some people, in the same way that some small number of unlucky people get type 2 diabetes or have a stroke or a heart attack in their 30s.

On the other hand, there are weird interactions between the immune system and pathogens, like Dengue, so if you look at the question from a truly skeptical standpoint (like "can we be 100% sure the sun will rise tomorrow?" skeptical) then it's not proven that the COVID vaccines won't somehow hurt people later.

But I would and did bet my life on it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The m has always been silent.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SecretOfSteel posted:

Wow, I got sent a link to the (now defunct) "The Young IPA Podcast". They look just like the sort of insufferable shits you'd expect, three guesses for who the father of James Bolt is... Maybe I'll listen to one when I'm in a bad mood out on an angry run around the track.

Wow how could you defame a podcast that Melbourne demons premiership player tom McDonald has appeared on

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why bother eating if you just have to do it again tomorrow?

This is just depression :smith: maybe antivaxxers just need someone to listen to them? (But guide them on a path back to sanity).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A deal has been made to buy Sydney Airport for 32 billion.

The GOLD STANDARD FINANCIAL MANAGERS of Howard and Costello sold it for 5.6 billion in 2002.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SecretOfSteel posted:

if I wanted to hear from completely out of touch wannabe hipsters I’d listen to the iwc podcast thanks

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

birdstrike posted:

if I wanted to hear from completely out of touch wannabe hipsters I’d listen to the iwc podcast thanks

which one is that?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

big dong wanter posted:

which one is that?

All of them.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

birdstrike posted:

Wow you're mocking the young IPA podcast. Do you have 659 youtube views for your last episode?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
How the gently caress does that podcast have 200 episodes

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

The GOLD STANDARD FINANCIAL MANAGERS of Howard and Costello sold it for 5.6 billion in 2002.

Tbh that seems a pretty light return for Sydney real estate :rimshot:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

boomer and greatest gen brains have been permanently broken by the thalidomide thing

All the boomers I talk to (and living in rural NSW they're everywhere) didn't have a problem with vaccines, they had a problem with not getting THE GOOD ONE.

So it's more that their brains have been permanently broken from being at the front of the queue for everything.

The government (mostly Scotty) made a complete hash of the messaging around A-Z.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

The hardest part about being a parent is letting go. I'm proud Sydney Airport has grown so much on its own. Thank you John and Elvis

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Capt.Whorebags posted:

All the boomers I talk to (and living in rural NSW they're everywhere) didn't have a problem with vaccines, they had a problem with not getting THE GOOD ONE.

So it's more that their brains have been permanently broken from being at the front of the queue for everything.

The government (mostly Scotty) made a complete hash of the messaging around A-Z.

Anyone else lol when they realise we have a significantly lower AZ serious complication/death rate, far lower than predicted, largely because Scotty was dragging his feet?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I have a theory that this actually worked out in our favour because there's a sizeable cohort of boomers who would've naturally fallen into the anti-vax camp and not been vaccinated at all, but who were instead led into the YOU DESERVE THE GOOD ONE camp.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

People at work freaking out about how the storage of a copy of their digital vacc certificate is going to be made secure, loving weirdos.

who gives a single gently caress it’s got your name and birthdate on it, they can project mine onto the side of the building for all I care

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

I have a theory that this actually worked out in our favour because there's a sizeable cohort of boomers who would've naturally fallen into the anti-vax camp and not been vaccinated at all, but who were instead led into the YOU DESERVE THE GOOD ONE camp.

True. Telling them they can't have something is like catnip.

A good proportion would have had no idea what a franking credit was before they heard Labor was planning to change the tax treatment of them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

People at work freaking out about how the storage of a copy of their digital vacc certificate is going to be made secure, loving weirdos.

who gives a single gently caress it’s got your name and birthdate on it, they can project mine onto the side of the building for all I care

Most boomers are stupid enough that this information is sufficient to crack their bigpond email password

Capt.Whorebags posted:

True. Telling them they can't have something is like catnip.

A good proportion would have had no idea what a franking credit was before they heard Labor was planning to change the tax treatment of them.

Boomers had the option for Pfizer and uptake was slow because they didnt think they needed to get it because we didnt have covid here or they wanted to wait it out for stupid reasons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah I've been dealing with this and I don't understand why you'd give a gently caress that your vaccination certificate is on the office computer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Yeah I've been dealing with this and I don't understand why you'd give a gently caress that your vaccination certificate is on the office computer

Boomers have heard of the idea of data security and are extremely paranoid about it despite understanding absolutely nothing about it. Same reason why they're hell to provide tech support for because they blame you personally for all their problems, while being incredibly credulous and gladly handing over all their money to the most transparent scams.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

This government is beyond parody now. We're being gaslit by the fucker and he's completely shameless: https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/09/2021/1636433248/end-ending-weekend

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Senor Tron posted:

23 Billion it looks like?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-08/sydney-airport-agrees-to-investment-fund-buyout-deal/100602082

23 billion? How the gently caress are they even going to get close to making back their money on that esp with Badgery's Creek aka Nancy-Bird Walton Airport opening in 2026?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomers have heard of the idea of data security and are extremely paranoid about it despite understanding absolutely nothing about it. Same reason why they're hell to provide tech support for because they blame you personally for all their problems, while being incredibly credulous and gladly handing over all their money to the most transparent scams.

I haven't heard it from a boomer once.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

I haven't heard it from a boomer once.

Yeah the ones at my work were all Gen X idiots

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1457865151873310720/photo/1
QLD is about to open up once it reaches 80% double dosed or Dec 17. Whichever comes first.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-10/private-quarantine-scheme-encouraged-home-affairs-department/100607072

ABC posted:

A company established by an influential Liberal party figure claims it could bring up to 160,000 foreign workers and students a year into Australia via a private hotel quarantine system with support from the Home Affairs Department.

Quarantine Services Australia (QSA) was officially registered as a company on August 30 by former deputy NSW Liberal Party director Scott Briggs, who is also the president of Scott Morrison's federal electoral conference in his Sydney electorate of Cook.

Two weeks earlier, another company linked to Mr Briggs, DPG Advisory Solutions, was awarded a $79,500 "limited tender" contract by the Home Affairs department to provide "consultancy services" to help develop the proposal.

Lmao.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

See, you lmao, but that makes me cmao (cry my arse off) :(

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Do these people understand the concept of integrity? Even a little? Do you have no actual shame?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Capt.Whorebags posted:

This government is beyond parody now. We're being gaslit by the fucker and he's completely shameless: https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/09/2021/1636433248/end-ending-weekend

There was a write-up about it in the Guardian but this is much better.

"That's a Labor lie." When quoting his own words to him. What the gently caress.

Of course all of News Corp went full on "green" right before the government decided to tweak it's messaging and lie about the ancient past of 2-3 years ago. Wonder why that was.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Konomex posted:

Do these people understand the concept of integrity? Even a little? Do you have no actual shame?

They're making money while advancing their career. What's there to be ashamed of? Success??

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Animal Friend posted:

There was a write-up about it in the Guardian but this is much better.

The Monthly/Saturday Paper do great write-ups at the start and end of most weekdays and it's free to subscribe although a lot of the articles it links to are paywalled to some extent.

Really good analysis with a progressive bent, but they're just as willing to call out ALP's bullshit when needed.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I see the same guy behind Paladin is involved too. Must be good odds of a bunch of unchecked cash being awarded.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/abc_nuwus/status/1458043585320955904

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You could have found a better source for that and you know it

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

You could have found a better source for that and you know it

You find me one better :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Old news I guess, but amoung all the face planting and belly flopping from the actual PM sometimes we miss.. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Deputy PM:

quote:

BARNABY JOYCE: In politics, as Joel knows and I know, sometimes it’s not so much how you ride the horse, but how you get off it. Some people get off it with grace and walk to the rail and sit on the rail and people go up and talk to them, but some people just can’t help themselves, they keep a foot in the stirrup and get dragged around in the horse manure. We’re seeing a couple of people with their foot in the stirrup getting dragged around the horse manure. They’ve gone from former prime ministers to current pains in the neck, and what do you do? If I walked around your studio, or your workplace, or your morning tea at school, even the pub, calling everybody a liar, you just look at the person and say, I don’t care what your former job was, mate, you’re a dipstick. You can’t just wander around brandishing those sorts of allegations. You’ve got to have some decorum for the office that you held, for the nation you led and act like it. Couch your terms, even if you have a concern, you know how to say it and couch it in such terms with subtly and deference to not create a massive problem. When you leave politics, you’re supposed to rise above politics, you know. You’re always an idealist as you walk up the hill and you’re more broad minded as you walk down it, but you’re more broadminded with a brain between your ears.

https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/joyce/interview/sunrise-channel-7

Aunty Sherry Fisher-Tilberoo, 49, died of a suspected brain aneurysm in the Brisbane police watch house in the early hours of 10 September 2020 while being held on remand. According to the coroner, police failed to perform adequate physical checks of Fisher-Tiberoo before she died and at a pre-inquest directions hearing the coroner said: “There may be systematic issues with respect to the management of prisoners in watch houses.” The assistant police commissioner Brian Codd announced that an assistant watch house supervisor had been suspended after an internal police investigation into Fisher-Tilberoo’s death. The woman, who is not a sworn police officer, was stood down on full pay for alleged failures of duty “in relation to the performance of physical checks” and “related record keeping”.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed