Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

486 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

my first computer that was all mine was a 486 I built out of spare parts assembled in a cardboard box

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr. Nice! posted:

billy idol's mony mony is named such because he saw a billboard with the acronym for the bank Mutual of New York.

Billy Idol’s “Dancing with Myself” is also about tuggin. Oh oh oh OH

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I wish I remembered more about the computers we had at my house growing up, now that I'm older and interested in old computer stuff. I remember playing Doom right when it first came out when I was 6 and feeling rad as gently caress

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
NY first computer that was really mine was an 8088.

Before that was a C64 but that was really my brother's.

:corsair:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Revins posted:

I wish I remembered more about the computers we had at my house growing up, now that I'm older and interested in old computer stuff. I remember playing Doom right when it first came out when I was 6 and feeling rad as gently caress

my dad ran an indie game studio out of our house so in 1991 when no one else on the block had a computer we had 4 of them networked together and playing games against each other

it always felt like we were living a few years ahead of everyone else technologically

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I played tons of sim city and sim tower with my dad on old rear end early 90s PCs and lol now I’m a government worker

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Also why the hell are they rebooting ghostbusters for like third or fourth time in a year?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Derpies posted:

I played tons of sim city and sim tower with my dad on old rear end early 90s PCs and lol now I’m a government worker

I played a bunch of sim city but the one I got really into was sim ant

for some reason we had that game but no instruction manual or anything and the beginning of the game was loving inscrutable

you started out as a queen ant with no instructions, just loose in a backyard wandering around

I played the game like that for days, just wandering around while pressing random keys on the keyboard trying to make something happen

the day that I hit a random button and the queen started the ant colony was possibly my most exciting moment in a game ever

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

also completely killing off all the other ant colonies and taking over the people's house so bad that they move out loving owned

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Tip posted:

I played a bunch of sim city but the one I got really into was sim ant

for some reason we had that game but no instruction manual or anything and the beginning of the game was loving inscrutable

you started out as a queen ant with no instructions, just loose in a backyard wandering around

I played the game like that for days, just wandering around while pressing random keys on the keyboard trying to make something happen

the day that I hit a random button and the queen started the ant colony was possibly my most exciting moment in a game ever

Sim Ant did indeed loving own, better dead than red

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

my dad was incredibly cheap and mostly refused to buy us full priced games, instead we'd go down to the software store and pay $5 for a floppy with a game demo

many of them had a lot of the game but with artificial constraints like only being able to play for a set amount of time, so if we really liked one of those and whined enough my dad would figure out how to hack the drm and unlock them for us

every time he'd be like "you know, I'm a game developer and if everyone just pirated and hacked my games we wouldn't have this house" and we'd be like "you could just buy us the game" and he'd be like "ok shut up, I'll hack it"

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Roni outbreak in this city, and I've woken up with a slight sniffle.

Guess I've got the day off.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Brutal Garcon posted:

Roni outbreak in this city, and I've woken up with a slight sniffle.

Guess I've got the day off.

be safe brutal garcon

I got rona back before it was cool and that poo poo loving sucks

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Tip posted:

be safe brutal garcon

I got rona back before it was cool and that poo poo loving sucks

It's almost certainly something to do with the sudden cold weather yesterday, but I work for [large public institution], and they're taking no chances.

(Yes, I've been tested - waiting on results - and yes, I'm fully vaccinated)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm watching last action hero and it still owns

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's 11:20 and I'm incredibly late for work. Fortunately I have loosey defined appointment with a group in another building, so if I show up there first and then go over to my usual office, nobody is any wiser.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

:nice:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Computer viking posted:

It's 11:20 and I'm incredibly late for work. Fortunately I have loosey defined appointment with a group in another building, so if I show up there first and then go over to my usual office, nobody is any wiser.

It's okay to admit no one noticed you were missing

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ratjaculation posted:

It's okay to admit no one noticed you were missing

That happened to me for about a month last year, just head down doing work without managers doing dumb poo poo. It was awesome.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

That happened to me for about a month last year, just head down doing work without managers doing dumb poo poo. It was awesome.

living the dream

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Derpies posted:

Also why the hell are they rebooting ghostbusters for like third or fourth time in a year?

It's not a reboot it's a direct sequel to Ghostbusters 2

And the last one (the failed reboot) was almost six years ago :xd: covid time warp or just old?

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ghostbusters reboot is going to have Harold Ramis appear as a force ghost isn’t it?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tip posted:

my first computer that was all mine was a 486 I built out of spare parts assembled in a cardboard box

i too ran a computer out of a cardboard box, but it wasn't a 486. i remember it had a pentium 4 and a geforce 5 series that i was super excited to have because it was like cutting edge at the time (circa 2004), because the stickers i put on the tower are seared into my brain. one day i was up till like 2 in the morning and my dad came home from work and lost his poo poo when he found me still awake gaming and almost certainly going to be late/miss school in the morning, and in a rage smashed the case. he expected me to not have a pc for a while but that idiot fucker forgot i built the drat thing and was in computer engineering classes and i literally ran it out of a cardboard box for about 2 months until he felt guilty enough to buy me a new case (to house the expensive computer parts he paid for anyway lmao)

i dropped out of school and my dad moved to england but i'm an engineer now and i stay up as late as i want playing video games now. gently caress you dad!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Ghostbusters reboot is going to have Harold Ramis appear as a force ghost isn’t it?

I don't know. I wouldn't be mad about it in principle because I really don't think he would, especially how they appear to be channeling his character for his granddaughter in the trailer

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

So this may be a dumb question, but isn’t using a cardboard box as a computer case a fire hazard? Is this how Bitcoin fires start?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

My family's first computer was a VIC 20. I used to use my friends C64 whenever we got the chance as it has 8 times the RAM so the games were soooooo much better.
Eventually we got a 286, 386, and i put together my first computer (completely funded by me) a 486 dx turbo.

Working sucks right now, I'm not in the headspace for it today. I would much rather go to the farm and pet the goats.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

So this may be a dumb question, but isn’t using a cardboard box as a computer case a fire hazard? Is this how Bitcoin fires start?

i've told this story a few times and i've been asked this enough that i looked it up once and found it would take more energy/heat for most cardboards to catch fire than a typical plastic case of the same era, so probably not

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

The Bloop posted:

I don't know. I wouldn't be mad about it in principle because I really don't think he would, especially how they appear to be channeling his character for his granddaughter in the trailer

I agree. I made that comment more out of exasperation than anger.

Honestly it has to be weird to be a creative person and deal with fanboys. You’re just there trying to make as much money as you can off the rights to your 80’s movie, and here’s this bunch of weirdos acting like it has to be protected and cared for, as if making a lovely reboot makes the original worse or damages it somehow.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Tip posted:

I ran a rig from a cardboard box also but in 2000 with a Pentium 3

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I came up with this really great white wine and pork instapot stew idea, carrots, onions, potatoes, little mustard and fresh herbs to round it out french bread on the side, little salad, had the whole thing going in my head.

Texted Mrs Beef "Hey I got this whole nice dinner planned"

Except I forgot like two of the key ingredients because I'm getting old and stupid, and the store is 20 minutes away and I ain't driving back for that poo poo. gently caress. Well. Tomorrow it is! :mad:

Whadya know, Beef forgot the meat!!!

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

They should do a remake of Stripes

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Oops I just quoted a post from 30 pages back, oh well the old jokes are the best ones.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Ghostbusters appears to be serious business in this thread

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Ghostbusters appears to be serious business in this thread

The OG Ghostbusters is the perfect movie and doesn’t need to be hosed with

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

The OG Ghostbusters is the perfect movie and doesn’t need to be hosed with

It's a GOOD movie.

But it's definitely one of the ones that Goons love to say poo poo like this about because somehow it's become some unassailable icon to them due to, idk, rose colored glasses? Collectivism? A little of both? I'm not sure.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

It's a GOOD movie.

But it's definitely one of the ones that Goons love to say poo poo like this about because somehow it's become some unassailable icon to them due to, idk, rose colored glasses? Collectivism? A little of both? I'm not sure.

the torrent of lovely sequels and remakes definitely makes the original look a lot better than it was

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

It's a GOOD movie.

I mean, I have sentimentality attached to it because it was the first movie I ever saw in a theater, but I’m also somewhat sensible in that when I hear about a sequel or remake whatever I just go “huh, that’s some news about the ghostbusters franchise” and move on with my day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mr. Nice! posted:

that song is about bud dwyer.

Oh I know, I was just going along with blasting rope joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

im going to guess the new ghostbusters is bad