Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
edit: i hate when effort posts lost to snipes

The Demilich posted:

Any high end reading you recommend regarding both city planning and government? I'm very much into expanding my personal library.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Garden Cities of To-Morrow - Ebenezer Howard 1902

Vertical Farm Diversification - D. Howard Doane 1950

The Heart of our Cities - Victor Gruen 1964

Human Identity in the Urban Environment - Bell and Tyrwhitt 1972

Centers for the Urban Environment - Victor Gruen 1973

Gruen ended up mostly being known for designing shopping malls but had a good understanding of how to make buildings and public spaces that people feel comfortable in, the need for cities to accommodate a growing population, and the costs of our growth on the earth. Here's the text of the first chapter of "Centers for the Urban Environment."

Here's my list:

1. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America - significant emphasis on how just how "systemic" the problem was, focus is on local land law and the biases of elected officials and their public servants. fantastic footnotes

quote:

Today’s residential segregation in the North, South, Midwest, and West is not the unintended consequence of individual choices and of otherwise well-meaning law or regulation but of unhidden public policy that explicitly segregated every metropolitan area in the United States. The policy was so systematic and forceful that its effects endure to the present time. Without our government’s purposeful imposition of racial segregation, the other causes—private prejudice, white flight, real estate steering, bank redlining, income differences, and self-segregation—still would have existed but with far less opportunity for expression. Segregation by intentional government action is not de facto. Rather, it is what courts call de jure: segregation by law and public policy.

-

2. Rationality and Power: Democracy in Practice - this one is good if you want to see the real politics—and real "rationality"—of policy-making, administration, and planning in a case study (the City of Aalborg)

-

3. The Zoning Game - great behind-the-counter analysis of decision making on zoning and land development, especially as it relates to case law

-

BONUS: The Art of Classic Planning - this one isn't really related to government, but this is a high end book that I very much desperately want to read (its like $100+ RIP me)

quote:

Nearly everything we treasure in the world’s most beautiful cities was built over a century ago. Cities like Prague, Paris, and Lisbon draw millions of visitors from around the world because of their exquisite architecture, walkable neighborhoods, and human scale. Yet a great deal of the knowledge and practice behind successful city planning has been abandoned over the last hundred years―not because of traffic, population growth, or other practical hurdles, but because of ill-considered theories emerging from Modernism and reactions to it.

The errors of urban design over the last century are too great not to question. The solutions being offered today―sustainability, walkability, smart and green technologies―hint at what has been lost and what may be regained, but they remain piecemeal and superficial. In The Art of Classic Planning, architect and planner Nir Haim Buras documents and extends the time-tested and holistic practices that held sway before the reign of Modernism. With hundreds of full-color illustrations and photographs that will captivate architects, planners, administrators, and developers, The Art of Classic Planning restores and revitalizes the foundations of urban planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcnJEMnlTs

welp

problem solved

wrap it up, climate-ailures

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alobar posted:

welp

problem solved

thats cool. not going to help anything but its cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

thats cool. not going to help anything but its cool.

It's actually going to hurt things twice because it's not like we're just going to shoot all that valuable raw material into space, we're going to RECYCLE IT, into our brains, bloodstream, soft tissues, and endocrine glands! :shepicide:

That plastic will get a second chance to get inside US instead of sealife (which I've mostly purged from my diet)! Thanks :capitalism:!

EDIT: Oh, nice, they're turning it into cheap sunglasses, something that embodies disposabilty, like losing a pair of cheap sunglasses off the side of a cruise ship, then buying another pair of cheap sunglasses from a street vendor at a port-of-call. Then leaving those on the ship, only to be tossed by the housekeeping staff, only to make you buy another cheap pair of sunglasses when you realize you can't find the ones you bought in Martinique...

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Nov 8, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Would be neat if they'd install an engine that can burn the stuff to power the boats, no way is shipping that poo poo back to the US for disposal / recycling cost-effective in money or CO2

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's actually going to hurt things twice because it's not like we're just going to shoot all that valuable raw material into space, we're going to RECYCLE IT, into our brains, bloodstream, soft tissues, and endocrine glands! :shepicide:

That plastic will get a second chance to get inside US instead of sealife (which I've mostly purged from my diet)! Thanks :capitalism:!

EDIT: Oh, nice, they're turning it into cheap sunglasses, something that embodies disposabilty, like losing a pair of cheap sunglasses off the side of a cruise ship, then buying another pair of cheap sunglasses from a street vendor at a port-of-call. Then leaving those on the ship, only to be tossed by the housekeeping staff, only to make you buy another cheap pair of sunglasses when you realize you can't find the ones you bought in Martinique...

they said they aren't going to make it into sunglasses they just made the one line of sunglasses with the first run to prove they could make things out of old sea plastic

also they arent cheap sunglasses. theyre extremely expensive sunglasses

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Charging 199 Euros for cheap sunglasses just makes them extremely expensive cheap sunglasses.

They won't be treasured, they won't be passed down, they'll be something, at most, worn by loving *influencers* who'll get told they're such an inspiration for wearing something recycled, at which point they'll be tossed in a drawer where they'll be summarily pitched during a "does it bring me joy" cleansing.

I can get prescription sunglasses made out of steel for 199 EUR (granted, they'd be from Costco) that'll last me a lot longer and be reusable over time because contrary to popular belief, you can go into eyeglasses stores and just buy lenses for frames you already own. The only point you made that I can't really refute is that, yes it's just a proof of concept, but poo poo's been made with sea plastic before Charlie and the Amazing Plastic-Catching Condom came along. :shrug:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

aphid_licker posted:

Would be neat if they'd install an engine that can burn the stuff to power the boats, no way is shipping that poo poo back to the US for disposal / recycling cost-effective in money or CO2

burning it is probably how plastic keeps getting into rain and snow and up mountains and poo poo

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

burning it is probably how plastic keeps getting into rain and snow and up mountains and poo poo

Depends, if you're burning it in a big pile sure but you can do some p magical stuff with burn conditions and smoke filters if you can be arsed to pay for it

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

Maybe incinerate is the right word. Complete combustion can be done if you want to, but yeah just throwing it on a fire won't work.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

it doesn't physically hurt me to go outside (i'll see you next year summer) right now in phoenix but check this out

cherry picked this one from a couple days ago when the dichotomy was most noticeable

for non-muricans that's ~33C high ~13C low

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Alobar posted:

welp

problem solved

getting theranos vibes from this

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1457704490392563713

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

"In memory of a real tree"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

relevant but NSFW-for-sideboob Blade Runner clip: https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2ae05e02-2258-47b0-934f-0b1b43709b2f

"You think I'd be workin in a place like this, if I could afford a real snake?"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I was sure the tweet was going to end with "as an nft"

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Raine posted:

it doesn't physically hurt me to go outside (i'll see you next year summer) right now in phoenix but check this out

cherry picked this one from a couple days ago when the dichotomy was most noticeable

now thats some good weather

for viruses bacteria and fungi to destroy your weakened temp shocked immune system

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Few willing to change lifestyle to save the planet, climate survey finds

quote:

Citizens are alarmed by the climate crisis, but most believe they are already doing more to preserve the planet than anyone else, including their government, and few are willing to make significant lifestyle changes, an international survey has found.

the measures that would have actually helped 50 years ago are all pretty loving low on there and (as usual) nobody even mentioned having fewer children.

lol. lmao.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Putting in maximum effort to save the planet :effort:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

Few willing to change lifestyle to save the planet, climate survey finds

the measures that would have actually helped 50 years ago are all pretty loving low on there and (as usual) nobody even mentioned having fewer children.

lol. lmao.

I hate stupid rear end polling like this, because no loving poo poo when the proposition is “Will you do something meaningless for nothing?” few jump on board.

This liberal obsession with moralizing people into the most significant social change in human history is loving absurd.

But the idea of politics involving human beings getting something out of it, is so anathema to the current liberal order.

Instead the plan is cripple you with gas taxes so you later decide to vote to invest in buses. But sorry, investing in buses now is just impossible.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're right about the government part though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Raine posted:

the climate truly is changing, phoenix had a high below 100f for the first time

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Biosphere Collapse: I don't have the headspace to think about it

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

But the idea of politics involving human beings getting something out of it, is so anathema to the current liberal order.

Instead the plan is cripple you with gas taxes so you later decide to vote to invest in buses. But sorry, investing in buses now is just impossible.

Look buddy, that's just how the world works. Things have to get really, really bad first, then comes the price signal and then we'll see

And things simply are not that bad, yet

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

goochtit posted:

Biosphere Collapse: don't have the headspace to think about it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have a lot more headspace to think about it after clear cutting all the useless stuff that was already taking up so much of it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1457743758162898944

quote:

“These great teeming ecosystems — these cathedrals of nature — are the lungs of our planet,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson of Britain said in describing the pact on Tuesday at an event attended by President Biden and the president of Indonesia, Joko Widodo.

The pledge will demand “transformative further action,” the declaration said, to preserve forests crucial to absorbing carbon dioxide and slowing the pace of global warming. But while it was accompanied by several measures intended to help put it into effect, some advocacy groups criticized the agreement as lacking teeth, saying it would allow deforestation to continue and noting that similar efforts have failed in the past.

You have to get pretty deep into this article before the writer points out that any promised funding and programs are doomed to fail because of the senate.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
WaPo published a seriously good article yesterday.

Countries’ climate pledges built on flawed data, Post investigation finds

quote:

Malaysia’s latest catalogue of its greenhouse gas emissions to the United Nations reads like a report from a parallel universe. The 285-page document suggests that Malaysia’s trees are absorbing carbon four times faster than similar forests in neighboring Indonesia.

The surprising claim has allowed the country to subtract over 243 million tons of carbon dioxide from its 2016 inventory — slashing 73 percent of emissions from its bottom line.

Across the world, many countries underreport their greenhouse gas emissions in their reports to the United Nations, a Washington Post investigation has found. An examination of 196 country reports reveals a giant gap between what nations declare their emissions to be versus the greenhouse gases they are sending into the atmosphere. The gap ranges from at least 8.5 billion to as high as 13.3 billion tons a year of underreported emissions — big enough to move the needle on how much the Earth will warm.

The plan to save the world from the worst of climate change is built on data. But the data the world is relying on is inaccurate.

[...]

At the low end, the gap is larger than the yearly emissions of the United States. At the high end, it approaches the emissions of China and comprises 23 percent of humanity’s total contribution to the planet’s warming, The Post found.

[...]

The gap comprises vast amounts of missing carbon dioxide and methane emissions as well as smaller amounts of powerful synthetic gases. It is the result of questionably drawn rules, incomplete reporting in some countries and apparently willful mistakes in others — and the fact that in some cases, humanity’s full impacts on the planet are not even required to be reported.

The Post’s analysis is based on a data set it built from emissions figures countries reported to the United Nations in a variety of formats. To overcome the problem of missing years of data, reporters used a statistical model to estimate the emissions each country would have reported in 2019, then compared that total to other scientific data sets measuring global greenhouse gases.

The analysis found at least 59 percent of the gap stems from how countries account for emissions from land, a unique sector in that it can both help and harm the climate. Land can draw in carbon as plants grow and soils store it away — or it can all go back up into the atmosphere as forests are logged or burn and as peat-rich bogs are drained and start to emit large amounts of carbon dioxide.

A key area of controversy is that many countries attempt to offset the emissions from burning fossil fuels by claiming that carbon is absorbed by land within their borders. U.N. rules allow countries, such as China, Russia and the United States, each to subtract more than half a billion tons of annual emissions in this manner, and in the future could allow these and other countries to continue to release significant emissions while claiming to be “net zero.”

In other words, much of the gap is driven by subtractions countries have made on their balance sheets. Many scientists say countries should only claim these greenhouse gas reductions when they take clear action, as opposed to claiming natural forest regrowth unrelated to national policies.

And some of this carbon absorption isn’t even happening — or at least not on the scale that countries assert.

Malaysia, for example, released 422 million tons of greenhouse gases in 2016, placing it among the world’s top 25 emitters that year, according to data compiled by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. But because Malaysia claims its trees are consuming vast amounts of CO2, its reported emissions to the United Nations are just 81 million tons, less than those of the small European nation of Belgium.

[...]

The Post found that methane emissions comprise a second major portion of the missing greenhouse gases in the U.N. database. Independent scientific data sets show between 57 million and 76 million tons more of human-caused methane emissions hitting the atmosphere than U.N. country reports do. That converts to between 1.6 billion and 2.1 billion tons of carbon dioxide-equivalent emissions.

[...]

A new generation of sophisticated satellites that can measure greenhouse gases are now orbiting Earth, and they can detect massive emissions leaks. Data from the International Energy Agency (IEA) lists Russia as the world’s top oil and gas methane emitter, but that’s not what Russia reports to the United Nations. Its official numbers fall millions of tons shy of what independent scientific analyses show, a Post investigation found. Many oil and gas producers in the Persian Gulf region, such as the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, also report very small levels of oil and gas methane emission that don’t line up with other scientific data sets.

[...]

European Union officials estimate that rapid reductions in methane could trim at least 0.2 degrees Celsius from overall global temperature rise by 2050. More than 100 nations have now signed onto the newly formed Global Methane Pledge, an initiative launched by the United States and the E.U., which aims to cut emissions 30 percent by the end of the decade. But some of the world’s biggest methane emitters, including China and Russia, have yet to join to pact.

[...]

Meanwhile, fluorinated gases, which are exclusively human-made, also are underreported significantly. Known as “F-gases,” they are used in air conditioning, refrigeration and the electricity industry. But The Post found that dozens of countries don’t report these emissions at all — a major shortcoming since some of these potent greenhouse gases are a growing part of the world’s climate problem.

Vietnam, for example, reported that its emissions of fluorinated gases plunged between 2013 and 2016, to 23 thousand tons of CO2 equivalent. Asked about the 2016 estimate — which is 99.8 percent lower than what’s indicated in one key scientific emissions data set used by The Post — Vietnamese officials said more recent reports assume fluorinated gases do not escape from air conditioning and refrigeration systems. But they do: U.S. supermarkets lose an average of 25 percent of their fluorinated refrigerants each year.

There's a lot more in the article, but the gist of it is that it turns out dozens of countries have been grossly under-reporting their emission numbers, like with Australia removing the carbon dioxide emissions from their wildfires from the reports (lol, lmao), Malaysia claiming that their magic trees absorb four times as much carbon dioxide as normal, and China not having reported at all since 2014.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh god what are all the Xi worshippers going to say now

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This is the standard neoliberal response to disasters now, just like with COVID. Do absolutely loving nothing and point out how you are 18.4% better at doing nothing than the other guy who did nothing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Seriously. Is there some kind of website I don't know about where you get paid for stanning China and posting proof? https://www.imwillingtoignorethatchinaisatitsheartjustanotherpredatorycapitalistcountry.com?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Can ask the posters in the China thread.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The water that Coke and Pepsi sell (Dasani and Aquafina, respectively) aren't good enough quality to make Coke and Pepsi out of, and to make things even more depressing, they're bottled from municipal sources that are known to have :airquote: good :airquote: water (Aquafina used to pull from Houston - who knows if they still do post-floods), bottle it in cheap plastic, then send it to places that have shittier water.

:capitalism:

Where does deja blue come from? That was the best tasting one in the houston supermarkets but i think were only sold at albersons or randalls.

Femur has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Nov 8, 2021

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

goochtit posted:

Biosphere Collapse: I don't have the headspace to think about it

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"  U.S. supermarkets lose an average of 25 percent of their fluorinated refrigerants each year."

What the everloving gently caress. Killing the environment when it would be cheaper not to.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

China has significantly lower per capita emissions than the west.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zegermans posted:

China has significantly lower per capita emissions than the west.

~40% of their population (~560m people) live rurally and are more or less forced to make do with what's provided to them. They're also kept in that state by poor education.

And as has been already established earlier and many times in this thread, countries are known to gently caress with, embellish, and outright LIE about their figures.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're also kept in that state by poor education.

This part doesn’t track. Poorly educated Americans consume more carbon per capita than well educated French or Swedes or other groups.

Laying China’s lower per capita carbon footprint at the feet of poor education just doesn’t really make sense.

There are plenty of angles that make sense for someone who wants to rant about China, but this one doesn’t really work?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also something that’s always interesting about emissions inventories, is that most of them can be done bottom up or top down.

So sure, China or the USA can mislead about our bottom up inventories (e.g. during emergencies at oil and gas facilities we don’t let in scientists to do testing but what do you know a lot of methane leaks happen during emergencies!)

But you can’t really fake top down inventory numbers. We know the methane concentration in the atmosphere. Now attributing that to specific actors is hard, but it does put a limit on how much actors can fudge their bottom up inventories before it’s completely out of alignment with top down inventories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If a significant segment of your population is under-educated, they're never going to leave their surroundings except in extraordinary circumstances or if they join the military. But the vast majority will be kept in that state of existence.

Saying "China has significantly lower *per capita* emissions than the west" requires examination of WHY that is. Of course a country of nearly 1.1 billion where 40% are rurally located is going to have lower per capita emissions, they probably don't have cars. They're probably not moving very far from where they live. If they did, China would lose a good portion of its domestic food production labor.

Poorly educated Americans contribute more carbon per capita because our shittiest education systems still make people *just* smart enough to work a cash register and make french fries, and access to cars (or coal-rolling trucks) and other means of carbon-spewing transportation is way easier here. We're also able to generate way more waste because of access to goods and services. We also live in shittily-planned communities that necessitate some form of carbon-spewing transportation to get to. Pretty sure a rural Chinese citizen outputs about as much carbon per capita as a rural American citizen did circa 1920. It's not because China's stumbled onto something that's evaded the rest of us, it's because that citizen is living in the closest approximation to 1920 that is possible in 2021.

There's also the hukou system that physically prevents rural Chinese citizens from choosing to move to urban areas: https://brownpoliticalreview.org/2018/05/bridging-gap-chinas-hukou-system-needs-reform/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Nov 8, 2021