Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hello I started posting in 2016 / 2017 when Bitcoin was $3000 that it was worth mining up a few coins to see what happens. Well. That provoked a strong response and a whole bunch of angry posts and debunking. So we're 5 years on and crypto is way more established than it was.

For those of you who read David Gerard's book, have no worries - you can still buy this prescient tome through Amazon or David's website directly. https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581/ Remember, remittances and sending money internationally will never work, lightning will never be a thing, and this book will explain all of that to you. Do you know what the BBC thought of it? “A very convincing takedown of the whole phenomenon” — BBC News. loving amazing, how can you go wrong - read this book and you'll be one of those TAKING DOWN this crypto bullshit.

To this day I marvel why David Gerard felt the need to debunk this poo poo so hard, and to be so wrong, and so misguided, and to harm others in the process. But I suspect too much Rational Wiki broke brains, after a decade of debunking everything under the sun one couldn't resist doing this one too. SH/SC uber alles, those IT nerds are going to tell you why this crypto poo poo is a SCAM.

Anyway a bunch of walmart employees (that's you, the SA goon reading this) led by some failed IT dorks (that's you, SH/SC crew) spent 5 years laughing at redditors for making money, HODLing and all that other poo poo. Those redditors now have businesses funded with crypto cash, while the SA goons have a half dozen SH/SC regulars that got some good jabs in, The rationalwiki admin sold 500 books to gullible morons, and one dude that rammed a dildo so far up his rear end it required surgical removal - that person also posts the bitcoin rollercoaster pics that you all enjoy so much.

On some level I think of this as a monument to the something awful forums. My favorite posts are all the goons who proudly acknowledged they bought this dumbass tome to spite the cryto scammers. Enjoy the legacy of your wise financial decisions ;) Strawberries motherfucker, have you seen the drying strawberries pic. And finally. Do you know what MT Gox stands for? Well, do you?

This, but I've been telling people they should build a time machine and buy Tesla 5 years ago instead of rando coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
So crypto incentivises people to waste as much electricity as possible and distributes existing money from losers to winners without actually creating any value? So basically humanity would just simply be better off if it didn't exist.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Prurient Squid posted:

So crypto incentivises people to waste as much electricity as possible and distributes existing money from losers to winners without actually creating any value? So basically humanity would just simply be better off if it didn't exist.

It's not mandatory for a coin to do the pointless proof-of-work calculations that Bitcoin does but Bitcoin used that combined with mining rewards to encourage early adoption and get people to sign up to the network. Efforts have been made since to encourage people to move to newer crypto currencies that don't waste so much calculation effort but you'd have to get the majority of Bitcoin users to agree that this was necessary and organizing libertarians is like teaching cats to play the harmonica. So everyone keeps mining Bitcoin because everyone else is doing it and vast amounts of power is wasted.

Everyone reading this thread will be long dead by the time the Bitcoin network is shut down.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is [18+] the rating or a reassurance to the authorities?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dang ol' funds, mang, one dang moment safe, and then boom, no dang ol' funds or nothing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hillary 2024 posted:

It's not mandatory for a coin to do the pointless proof-of-work calculations that Bitcoin does but Bitcoin used that combined with mining rewards to encourage early adoption and get people to sign up to the network. Efforts have been made since to encourage people to move to newer crypto currencies that don't waste so much calculation effort but you'd have to get the majority of Bitcoin users to agree that this was necessary and organizing libertarians is like teaching cats to play the harmonica. So everyone keeps mining Bitcoin because everyone else is doing it and vast amounts of power is wasted.

Everyone reading this thread will be long dead by the time the Bitcoin network is shut down.

I'm making efforts to grow wings.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I love that it's tagged cyberpunk, because it is, just not in the way they think.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

NGDBSS posted:

And like all "cryptocurrencies" it's terrible as an actual currency. Money is inherently a social construct. It functions as a medium of exchange because people believe in its value, because they're willing and able to employ it as such. In contrast the very nature of a blockchain makes doing this kind of thing at scale impossible; you've got these giant "decentralized" (:laffo:) networks and all that processing power spread across millions of computers is just everyone checking everyone else's errors because nobody trusts anyone else.

Another great feature of a currency would be extreme and rapid exchange rate fluctuations, meaning most people would prefer to sit on their so-called money hoping number go up rather than spend it, and people trying to sell things would need to adjust their prices constantly.

It's not a currency. It's a financial asset, like a Beanie Baby.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Mooey Cow posted:

It's not a currency. It's a financial asset, like a Beanie Baby.

I usually explain it as a "penny stock for a company that does nothing except waste 10 million of electricity every day"

I'd add that it can be only traded at unregulated bucket shops but it's hard to cover the whole breadth of the stupidity with just some soundbites

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vesi posted:

I usually explain it as a "penny stock for a company that does nothing except waste 10 million of electricity every day"

I'd add that it can be only traded at unregulated bucket shops but it's hard to cover the whole breadth of the stupidity with just some soundbites

You really can’t explain the depth of the stupidity all at once to someone or it seems like it can’t be that dumb

But it is

Oh god it is

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hello I started posting in 2016 / 2017 when Bitcoin was $3000 that it was worth mining up a few coins to see what happens. Well. That provoked a strong response and a whole bunch of angry posts and debunking. So we're 5 years on and crypto is way more established than it was.

For those of you who read David Gerard's book, have no worries - you can still buy this prescient tome through Amazon or David's website directly. https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581/ Remember, remittances and sending money internationally will never work, lightning will never be a thing, and this book will explain all of that to you. Do you know what the BBC thought of it? “A very convincing takedown of the whole phenomenon” — BBC News. loving amazing, how can you go wrong - read this book and you'll be one of those TAKING DOWN this crypto bullshit.

To this day I marvel why David Gerard felt the need to debunk this poo poo so hard, and to be so wrong, and so misguided, and to harm others in the process. But I suspect too much Rational Wiki broke brains, after a decade of debunking everything under the sun one couldn't resist doing this one too. SH/SC uber alles, those IT nerds are going to tell you why this crypto poo poo is a SCAM.

Anyway a bunch of walmart employees (that's you, the SA goon reading this) led by some failed IT dorks (that's you, SH/SC crew) spent 5 years laughing at redditors for making money, HODLing and all that other poo poo. Those redditors now have businesses funded with crypto cash, while the SA goons have a half dozen SH/SC regulars that got some good jabs in, The rationalwiki admin sold 500 books to gullible morons, and one dude that rammed a dildo so far up his rear end it required surgical removal - that person also posts the bitcoin rollercoaster pics that you all enjoy so much.

On some level I think of this as a monument to the something awful forums. My favorite posts are all the goons who proudly acknowledged they bought this dumbass tome to spite the cryto scammers. Enjoy the legacy of your wise financial decisions ;) Strawberries motherfucker, have you seen the drying strawberries pic. And finally. Do you know what MT Gox stands for? Well, do you?

none of you bitches who run into these threads out of breath ever flex cash so why should we believe a thing you say

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Alan Smithee posted:

none of you bitches who run into these threads out of breath ever flex cash so why should we believe a thing you say

I wouldn’t care if they did tbh

They’d still be assholes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do I look like I know what a JSON is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwucZK1BCj4

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Apparently “digital assets” will be considered securities in the infrastructure bill or something, which means the SEC is gonna have to clean up the internet because basically everyone, ever, involved in Bitcoin poo poo will be committing blatant and constant securities violations.

And thanks to ~~~~the blockchain~~~~ it’ll be easy to track, well, everything lol

E: apparently it’s just about reporting crypto things to the IRS but it’s still not a good time for money launderers

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 8, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im surprised sinema didn't fight that

she's so cringy I could see her being a 1 in 100 women at a cryptocon

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't wait for every crypto exchange to have to comply with KYC laws.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Waiting for the day when Elon announces his own NFTs
Going to be such a massacre of crypto bros.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan Smithee posted:

It's ALWAYS this. That one dude talked about how he bought a condo in NYC and the proof he posted was a loving flyer advertisement

Edit: he also posted pictures of ratty rear end socks

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's ALWAYS this. That one dude talked about how he bought a condo in NYC and the proof he posted was a loving flyer advertisement

Edit: he also posted pictures of ratty rear end socks

Not sure we're talking about the same one (S) but the one I remember was a listing for the condo on a realtor's website.

Like... just photoshop a document or something, put some effort into it?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Waiting for the day when Elon announces his own NFTs
Going to be such a massacre of crypto bros.

Imagine if Musk launch his own SpaceX/Tesla branded cryptocurrency.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

You'd think that with this insanely popular currency of the future that exchanges to USD wouldn't be necessary, but yeah, lots of big talk from these folks and "there are hundreds of bitcoin-funded businesses" but very little proof that any of this poo poo is real.

Also I filtered my local CL ads to "cryptocurrency ok" to see what items people are willing to sell for the currency/investment of the future, and uh...

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/VuUkBtf.png:nws: if you work in a nunnery and can't see a woman posing in her underwear she intends on selling.

used sport aviation magazines, some crappy quads, crypto-bro equipment and used women's clothing for masturbation purposes. Really hitting it out of the park there, crypto-bros.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 8, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Collateral Damage posted:

I can't wait for every crypto exchange to have to comply with KYC laws.

I’m very excited to see how many AML hires immediately resign lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

funeral home DJ posted:

You'd think that with this insanely popular currency of the future that exchanges to USD wouldn't be necessary, but yeah, lots of big talk from these folks and "there are hundreds of bitcoin-funded businesses" but very little proof that any of this poo poo is real.

Also I filtered my local CL ads to "cryptocurrency ok" to see what items people are willing to sell for the currency/investment of the future, and uh...

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/VuUkBtf.png:nws: if you work in a nunnery and can't see a woman posing in her underwear she intends on selling.

used sport aviation magazines, some crappy quads, crypto-bro equipment and used women's clothing for masturbation purposes. Really hitting it out of the park there, crypto-bros.

This is good for bitcoin.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bronze Fonz posted:

Not sure we're talking about the same one (S) but the one I remember was a listing for the condo on a realtor's website.

Lmao yeah I think you are right

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/op450099/status/1457113883513085958

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is this performance art? I love everything about it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm just curious why he brings up rationalwiki multiple times in his breakdown. No one uses rationalwiki in this day and age.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm just curious why he brings up rationalwiki multiple times in his breakdown. No one uses rationalwiki in this day and age.

it's because he's having a go at :gerard:, who posts his anti-bitcoin lies and calumnies on rationalwiki as well as on sa

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

Is this performance art? I love everything about it.

this is hardrocknick, a known internet weirdo and fake. he seems to be reading off of something so i would guess this is part of his cameo grift.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is he famous enough for cameo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

is he famous enough for cameo

i think he works at an amazon warehouse and this is a way for him to make a very small amount of cash on the side. now that I think of it, I think he got banned by cameo for some reason so this may be another service.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

funeral home DJ posted:

"checkmate loser, it's all for masturbation purposes"
-crypto bro

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You fool! Didn't I loving tell you to put it all on 17 at the roulette wheel!

Bitcoin was a bad idea at 3k and is even worse at 65k. Your gambling winnings, if true, do not imply otherwise. Bitcoin is a completely nonproductive asset. No serious developers use blockchain and a cursory search on programming boards will show you this.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bronze Fonz posted:

like those "I am an assassin, I was hired to kill you, pay me $4000 moneys and I will instead tell you who hired me" emails that are designed to filter out all but the biggest rubes alive, except then the marks who fell for it go on to write their own versions

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

"checkmate loser, it's all for masturbation purposes"
-crypto bro

drat, I'm been owned :(

small butter posted:

You fool! Didn't I loving tell you to put it all on 17 at the roulette wheel!

Bitcoin was a bad idea at 3k and is even worse at 65k. Your gambling winnings, if true, do not imply otherwise. Bitcoin is a completely nonproductive asset. No serious developers use blockchain and a cursory search on programming boards will show you this.

Sure got you losers, I went to this casino and bought $1k of chips and now I'm living large as my gambling has resulted in my chips being worth $250k! Don't mind the cashier's window being "permanently closed" and the new clients buying in by purchasing chips from the other clients sprinting for the door, this is all legit!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/iamRahul20x/status/1455950491658117125?t=Qk0P-BDWyunifZuUd-JJNQ&s=19

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate everything so much

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can’t wait for my up boats to go on the block chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can’t imagine what it’s like working in tech right now. Everyone, I’m sure, is convinced THEIR cryptocoin is the best thing and will fix everything and is expending all of their social capital, effort, and time to make their company adopt it