Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How does this even happen?

Basically if you have Pikmin Bloom installed on your phone all notifications for all apps stop working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to pop in and mention that I just set up 'syncthing' to back up my phone media to my windows server, and it works loving amazing and it's the perfect replacement for cloud-based backup like google photos. It was easy to set up and works perfectly.

Syncthing is awesome but as a general reminder, it is not a backup program, it is a sync program. If something happens to your phone media, deletion or corruption or whatever, Syncthing's job will be to immediately make the same thing happen to the synced folder on the server. It's really important that you're actually backing up the synced folder on your server as well.

Sorry if you're already doing this, maybe I've just seen too many reddit posts not understanding this, I just feel like it should be mentioned when someone brings up sync-as-backup in case anyone gets the wrong idea about how it works.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 4, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

zzMisc posted:

Syncthing is awesome but as a general reminder, it is not a backup program, it is a sync program. If something happens to your phone media, deletion or corruption or whatever, Syncthing's job will be to immediately make the same thing happen to the synced folder on the server. It's really important that you're actually backing up the synced folder on your server as well.

Sorry if you're already doing this, maybe I've just seen too many reddit posts not understanding this, I just feel like it should be mentioned when someone brings up sync-as-backup in case anyone gets the wrong idea about how it works.

Thanks, I think I changed a setting so that it can't delete items from the sync folder on the server. Didn't hurt to check!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have an old charger at my work desk. It charges slowly but it doesn't matter since I just use it to top up and my phone is just sitting there anyway. But lately my phone has started acting weird, it rebooted or became unresponsive after connecting or disconnecting the charger (all four possible combinations have happened). Has anyone experienced that before? Think I'll just throw the charger away in case the electronics have started going bad.

edit: gently caress, apps thread not android thread

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 4, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, I think I changed a setting so that it can't delete items from the sync folder on the server. Didn't hurt to check!

AFAIK there is no setting in Syncthing like that. If you haven't already you might want to verify this by deleting a file from your phone and seeing if it disappears from the server.

Edit: I'm wrong, there is an ignoreDelete advanced option. I'd still advise avoiding relying on Syncthing that way, and have some other backup in place.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 4, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Honest Thief posted:

is twitter battery hogging anyone else? it seems this dumb app is running worse and draining my battery as time goes

Yup. I found that most of the social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Insa) sucked up power, space and bandwidth. I've gone to using the web versions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Turns out it's super battery draining to check in as often as possible to maximise data harvesting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

zzMisc posted:

AFAIK there is no setting in Syncthing like that. If you haven't already you might want to verify this by deleting a file from your phone and seeing if it disappears from the server.

Edit: I'm wrong, there is an ignoreDelete advanced option. I'd still advise avoiding relying on Syncthing that way, and have some other backup in place.

Could you do something like send only or receive only? Does that prevent deletion from duplicating the other end?

I like Syncthing but I still get confused with trying to manage several devices at once.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Turns out it's super battery draining to check in as often as possible to maximise data harvesting.
Is this just the native apps or PWAs too? I recently switched due to battery issues but if it's the same I'll just put a bookmark to the site on my homescreen instead.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Could you do something like send only or receive only? Does that prevent deletion from duplicating the other end?

I like Syncthing but I still get confused with trying to manage several devices at once.

Isn't this ensuring that deletion on the server won't delete stuff on the phone?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My 64GB S9 is filling up, mostly in what seems to be the inaccessible system partition(s). I have a big ol' MicroSD and am scrupulous about saving all my media there, along with any and all apps that can be moved to external storage. I've been using the Storage Analyzer & Disk Usage app to figure out what's taking up all that space, but so far :iiam:. I have less than a gig left and have resorted to uninstalling stuff. (Although after uninstalling Airbnb, I swear I had less available space.) Google Files and Samsung's own cache-clearing functions help a little, but only very little.
Tl;dr: Is there a better app for file usage visualization and debloatification? (Trust me, I do recognize the folly of installing new space-eating apps to figure out what's eating all my space.)

Relatedly, I'm another Google Play Music refugee who mostly plays local music; at one point I had one app that did local music well (though restarted the current song every time I started the car), one that handled the occasional streaming off a local network HDD, and VLC for videos. I found out that VLC does what I need for local music (and saves my song position), so I deleted the local-music-only app.
Tl;dr: As a big Winamp fan, I'm interested in Poweramp--can it do local network streams, or is it strictly for locally stored files?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Well if the normal file usage apps can't find your problem, it is probably in some directory that you can't see on an unrooted phone.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't this ensuring that deletion on the server won't delete stuff on the phone?

What that is doing is ensuring that the files on the target always match the source. If you delete from the source, it will delete on the target. So if the server is receive-only, deletes on the server will not remove from the phone, but deletes on the phone will still remove from the server.

I understand the desire to want to auto-dump every photo/video you take onto a server and then delete it from the phone without worry, and that should work with send only->receive only syncing and the ignoreDelete option, just be aware that's not a function 'officially' supported by Syncthing. There's a discussion in it here, and it basically comes down to - Syncthing was designed to make two folders identical, and while source->target still does that, ignoring deletes is essentially forcing a mismatch that might have unpredictable results. The best way to use Syncthing is to point it at a folder on two different devices to make them effectively the same folder, and then use something else to copy them around from there; a script or any one of a thousand kinds of backup software. It will also save you a lot of confusion to do it that way; your "PhonePictures" folder on your server is exactly your "Pictures" folder on your phone, period, done, no further thinking about what Syncthing is doing is required.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 5, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh I'm not deleting anything from my phone, it's just a backup in case I brick my phone or lose it etc. I have a 256gb expansion card in there and it's not even half full. Only 15gb of media even backed up with synching.

I appreciate the post though for sure.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

oh no computer posted:

Is this just the native apps or PWAs too? I recently switched due to battery issues but if it's the same I'll just put a bookmark to the site on my homescreen instead.

hopefully twitters pwa isnt like many others where they just dump all their lovely js into your phone

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

My 64GB S9 is filling up, mostly in what seems to be the inaccessible system partition(s).
[snip]
Tl;dr: As a big Winamp fan, I'm interested in Poweramp--can it do local network streams, or is it strictly for locally stored files?
I did a factory reset and reinstalled all my stuff and now somehow I have a ton more space. :iiam: Still tweaking settings, though (and I've already discovered a few files that didn't make it over), so we'll see.

And no, as far as I can tell, Poweramp cannot stream via UPnP.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

But always on displays made them completely redundant?

In the days of notification leds I could be across the room and see whether I had a text or an email even with my glasses off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any consensus on a grocery list app? Preferably with a widget? I'm making do with just syncing google keep, but eh, truncates the list on the widget.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any consensus on a grocery list app? Preferably with a widget? I'm making do with just syncing google keep, but eh, truncates the list on the widget.

Our Groceries has been great for my wife and I for almost a decade. I think the app got sold sometime in the last year, but I haven't noticed any changes so far.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you use Google Home, Nest, or tend to use Google Assistant via voice, I'd recommend Google's default list. It's website based, so you'd create a home screen shortcut to your shopping list. But it's very seamless, you can say "hey Google add eggs to my shopping list"

Also easy to share a Google list with family members.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Any app that also knows what aisle things are on? I was using the store's app for a while but it turned to utter crap about a year ago.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay so apparently a neighbor just got a Fitbit luxe and my Pixel 3 is trying to setup the device constantly now. Every minute I get a pop up saying to finish setup go to the playstore and download the fitbit app.

I've disabled wifi, Bluetooth, and adaptive connectivity with no luck. Nearby Share is also off.

I'm starting to get really pissed off now. There's no way to make this go away. It shows in the top of settings and says tap to setup device and it just takes me to the play store. There's no option to forget the device or anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Set up the app and steal your neighbor's health data.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah keep doing your half of the setup until they get annoyed with it and turn it off or set it up themselves.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'll check Our Groceries; I don't use any of the Google assistant thingies but I'll have a look at that as well. Thanks!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm an Our Groceries user and I like it.

A million years ago I had a frickin' Palm shopping list app with one killer feature I haven't seen since: you could list which aisle a given item was in on a per-store basis, then set your list to sort for a certain store, and have everything appear in aisle order. If anyone knows of an app with that feature today, I'd probably jump ship for it, and pay cash money for it too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

smoobles posted:

If you use Google Home, Nest, or tend to use Google Assistant via voice, I'd recommend Google's default list. It's website based, so you'd create a home screen shortcut to your shopping list. But it's very seamless, you can say "hey Google add eggs to my shopping list"

Also easy to share a Google list with family members.

I used to use this, but Google assistant had been utterly broken for me for months now. I can't seem to find a solution.

I get a wide variety of different error messages, and it just fails to execute any command.

It was nice when it worked.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My wife and I use AnyList and it's been working great so far.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We use paprika, which also doubles as our recipe manager.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It is way too early in the morning and I understood that sentence as paprika is the only spice you cook with and you know what groceries to buy based on when you run out of it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Haha, quite understandable. My wife and I used to use Microsoft To Do for groceries and other things, but with Paprika, it's easier to add groceries to the list from a recipe.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

eSporks posted:

I used to use this, but Google assistant had been utterly broken for me for months now. I can't seem to find a solution.

I get a wide variety of different error messages, and it just fails to execute any command.

It was nice when it worked.

I've been using Alexa in the same space. It's just a list but works well for me.

In other matters, a tablet of mine has been complaining endlessly about running short of space. I've done the usual, deleted some space hogging apps I wasn't using, ran cleanup apps like SDMaid and Files, etc. Still no joy. Then a random file search turned up an odd PDF that I recognised. Mendeley cancelled their Android app earlier this year and so I deleted it. But apparently the data files were left behind and no housekeeping picked up that a gigabyte of the internal storage was occupied by a zombie directory. Now I'm wondering what else is still there. Any ideas how to find data associated with dead programs?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just realized last night that the reason I still haven't gotten the November update on my Pixel 3 is that it's now EOL for updates. :dumb:

If I move to a custom ROM, will Original Quality photo uploads in Google Photos continue to be free until February? Or is that dependent on uploading from the stock ROM?

It's kinda moot as I will probably wait until LineageOS 19 is ready. Or it'll have some hardware failure and I'll just end up buying something new.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Has anyone else noticed that PocketCasts works strangely with Android 12? It still adds new episodes to my now playing, but it does not move the show to the top of the podcasts screen or put the red badge on the show. It's a fresh install (of PC and Android), so I don't think it is just me, but I dunno.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Grumpwagon posted:

Has anyone else noticed that PocketCasts works strangely with Android 12? It still adds new episodes to my now playing, but it does not move the show to the top of the podcasts screen or put the red badge on the show. It's a fresh install (of PC and Android), so I don't think it is just me, but I dunno.

It works the same as it always has for me. I only have one podcast that I have bump up to next in the playlist, and that is still working as expected.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Grumpwagon posted:

I've been switching between Android and iOS on PocketCasts. Every device I put it on I have to re-add the individual podcast settings. There's a default setting for add to playlist and you can adjust that individually for each podcast. If I use a new device it won't auto add podcasts to the list (at the bottom or top) until I change the overall default setting or the podcast specific setting on that device, but if I load it up on the device that's already setup it will add it then. Probably doesn't help with the red badges though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I just realized last night that the reason I still haven't gotten the November update on my Pixel 3 is that it's now EOL for updates. :dumb:

Hold up, so they just dropped Android 12 onto me and froze me out right away so I'm not getting any of the basic follow-up bugfixes?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Hold up, so they just dropped Android 12 onto me and froze me out right away so I'm not getting any of the basic follow-up bugfixes?

I think that's the long and the short of it. :sigh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I don't think I remember this happening with the At a Glance widget before. I use Nova Launcher and had to remove padding to get the temperature to show fully. I guess nobody thought of Wednesday when testing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I think that's the long and the short of it. :sigh:

Goddamnit, I've been noticing a ton of bugs with this update and have been waiting for the fix, too.