Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

5G around here varies from 10 to 50 Mbps. It's like they just slapped a 5G label on the old 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
AT&T did something like that again after they were calling HSPA+ LTE years back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You are going to be constrained by the backhaul regardless. So, if the cell site itself doesn't have enough bandwidth, nothing on the cell network side is going to help.

Besides that and the obvious differences in frequencies, there's the whole SA vs NSA (standalone vs non-standalone).

NSA is the most common out there now and that means that control channels for the connectivity are still being done over LTE while the data itself is 5G. SA means everything is 5G native.

So, you can get into a situation where a 5g signal reaches further, but you can't access it because you lost the LTE control channel. You also lose a lot of 5G's efficiency gains by not going fully standalone too.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Crossposting:

Okay so apparently a neighbor just got a Fitbit luxe and my Pixel 3 is trying to setup the device constantly now. Every minute I get a pop up saying to finish setup go to the playstore and download the fitbit app.

I've disabled wifi, Bluetooth, and adaptive connectivity with no luck. Nearby Share is also off.

I'm starting to get really pissed off now. There's no way to make this go away. It shows in the top of settings and says tap to setup device and it just takes me to the play store. There's no option to forget the device or anything.

An image like the below pops up every minute or so now.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2021

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Returned my Pixel 6 unfortunately. I wasn’t able to adapt to the size after a week, especially since I hardly do anything with my phone that benefits from a large screen and couldn’t deal with losing comfortable one handed usage. If you’re okay with the size, it’s a pretty great device otherwise!

Edit:

Coxswain Balls posted:

I used to keep looking up the next phone I was going to get once whatever my current phone is started to become annoying due to a complete lack of support once the glitches and bugs started to show after six months to a year. My Pixel 2 is the longest I've owned a device and I still have no desire to upgrade since it does everything I want out of a phone perfectly with no fuss, especially after getting a new battery. I'm also not a fan of some modern design trends so I'm extra happy that this thing can keep on trucking.

I never once felt the need to check out other ROMs since it launched, but because I wiped it before sending it in I decided to try out LineageOS so I'm at least able to get some updates past the official end-of-life. The process was so much easier with a Pixel, and it still feels more or less stock except with some nice little features like squeeze for flashlight being built into the phone without needing an app for it.

I can't wait to see what the Pixel 8 or 9 is like when I eventually replace this thing.

Thanks for the updates on your battery replacement story. I might follow your lead and replace the battery + flash LineageOS onto my Pixel 2.

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 8, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm looking for a desktop charging station that fully supports the Pixel 6, so far I've found this: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Adapter-PowerPort-MacBook/dp/B088TFZ942/ but it's a bit pricy, does anyone know a cheaper alternative?

Wait for the new Pixel Stand?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the implication is that there would be other stuff that was wanting to charge as well.

That's the only multiple port desktop charger that I know of that supports PPS at the moment.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I think the implication is that there would be other stuff that was wanting to charge as well.

That's the only multiple port desktop charger that I know of that supports PPS at the moment.

Yup, that's exactly it. I'll keep an eye on a sale for that charger in that case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Yup, that's exactly it. I'll keep an eye on a sale for that charger in that case.

Gotcha.

I really want the new pixel stand :( Is there any other wireless stand that would be equivalent for the Pixel 6?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am very happy with my decision to stick with my Pixel Stand 1s. :getin:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zotix posted:

Crossposting:

Okay so apparently a neighbor just got a Fitbit luxe and my Pixel 3 is trying to setup the device constantly now. Every minute I get a pop up saying to finish setup go to the playstore and download the fitbit app.

I've disabled wifi, Bluetooth, and adaptive connectivity with no luck. Nearby Share is also off.

I'm starting to get really pissed off now. There's no way to make this go away. It shows in the top of settings and says tap to setup device and it just takes me to the play store. There's no option to forget the device or anything.

An image like the below pops up every minute or so now.

You're getting the popups on Android? The only time I've experienced something similar was when I was pairing a new set of headphones to Windows and selected the wrong device to try to pair, and canceled out of the process only to have Windows do the same thing you describe. It was a pain in the rear end and I turned off some kind of notification in the Windows Bluetooth settings but it was one in a long line of things I tried that finally worked and I can't say exactly (might have been disabling Swift Pairing?). I haven't had it happen on Android, but hopefully your neighbor will pair the device and it'll stop asking, or there is a time out after a day or something where your phone will stop asking to set it up.

Alternatively, just download the Fitbit app and remote control your neighbor's watch.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Here's some interesting charging rate testing/discussion:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/11/testing-shows-the-pixel-6-cant-actually-do-30-w-quick-charging/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shofixti posted:

Returned my Pixel 6 unfortunately. I wasn’t able to adapt to the size after a week, especially since I hardly do anything with my phone that benefits from a large screen and couldn’t deal with losing comfortable one handed usage. If you’re okay with the size, it’s a pretty great device otherwise!

Edit:

Thanks for the updates on your battery replacement story. I might follow your lead and replace the battery + flash LineageOS onto my Pixel 2.

A mate of mine has a six pro which is the first big phone I've handled in a while, and yeah I really don't know how people deal with something so large and surprisingly heavy

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

I dunno if this covers anything new that bull3964 hasn't already gone over in great detail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's all part of the same test.

This test puts things into a bit more perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leas-LKsajY

The Pixel 6 Pro is at 87% when the S21 Ultra hits 100%. So, instead of looking at the total time (72 minutes vs 120 minutes), you can look at it from a perspective of charge not gained in the same amount of time and I don't know that you are going to have meanful differences from leaving the charger at 87% vs 100% if you absolutely only have an hour to charge.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You're getting the popups on Android? The only time I've experienced something similar was when I was pairing a new set of headphones to Windows and selected the wrong device to try to pair, and canceled out of the process only to have Windows do the same thing you describe. It was a pain in the rear end and I turned off some kind of notification in the Windows Bluetooth settings but it was one in a long line of things I tried that finally worked and I can't say exactly (might have been disabling Swift Pairing?). I haven't had it happen on Android, but hopefully your neighbor will pair the device and it'll stop asking, or there is a time out after a day or something where your phone will stop asking to set it up.

Alternatively, just download the Fitbit app and remote control your neighbor's watch.

Yeah this is on my pixel 3. In hesitant to do the setup because it requires a Fitbit account.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zotix posted:

Yeah this is on my pixel 3. In hesitant to do the setup because it requires a Fitbit account.

I was mostly joking about installing Fitbit, particularly since the likelihood is that it would direct you to your Bluetooth settings to pair the watch anyway.

A glance at the specs for the Charge 4 suggest it only has Bluetooth LE, not wifi, but drat are the Fitbit pages badly set up. I just flipped through the settings on my phones and don't see a way to pre-emptively block devices from Bluetooth, but maybe there's something I'm missing.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

bull3964 posted:

It's all part of the same test.

This test puts things into a bit more perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leas-LKsajY

The Pixel 6 Pro is at 87% when the S21 Ultra hits 100%. So, instead of looking at the total time (72 minutes vs 120 minutes), you can look at it from a perspective of charge not gained in the same amount of time and I don't know that you are going to have meanful differences from leaving the charger at 87% vs 100% if you absolutely only have an hour to charge.

I definitely wouldn’t be happy To have charging and battery quirks day one on a brand new flagship device. Why are we giving google a pass for all these issues again?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't think this is an issue, it is by design.
I'm assuming the reasoning is that slower charge puts less stress on battery and may in turn mean a longer life on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CoolRanch posted:

I definitely wouldn’t be happy To have charging and battery quirks day one on a brand new flagship device. Why are we giving google a pass for all these issues again?

There are no quirks. This is the way Pixel charging has always worked with respect to extreme backoff. You are implying there's something wrong, but there isn't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CoolRanch posted:

As said, it's not an issue, it's the way it's supposed to work. It results in better long term battery health.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's an issue if you want fast charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's an issue if you absolutely need that last 13% after charging for an hour. Otherwise the phone still fast charges.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Looking at the video bull posted, they're at 23% and 25% after 15 minutes, 45% and 50% after 30 minutes, and 78% and 92% after an hour, so lol at trying to make this some issue

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Smart people got the base 6 anyway, with it's smaller, faster to charge battery :smugdroid:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The clue might be in the weight. The S21 Ultra is 19 grams heavier than the Pixel. That weight savings could be a design choice with a smaller gross capacity battery pack even if they have the same net capacity. If the Pixel has smaller buffers in the top, "100%" represents a higher cell voltage than on the S21 Ultra. The higher the voltage, the slower it can safely charge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A 5000mAh battery has a typical weight of 70-80grams so 19 grams would seem like a pretty big deviation for the same capacity.

The P6Pro uses a lot more plastic. The sides of the camera shroud are plastic and there's a large plastic window for the MMWave antenna at the top. The S21 Ultra also has a big honking metal camera shroud.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

A 5000mAh battery has a typical weight of 70-80grams so 19 grams would seem like a pretty big deviation for the same capacity.

The P6Pro uses a lot more plastic. The sides of the camera shroud are plastic and there's a large plastic window for the MMWave antenna at the top. The S21 Ultra also has a big honking metal camera shroud.

Unless the shell parts account for all the difference, a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just got the trade in notice for my p4xl and they are giving me nearly double previously estimated, so that's cool.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

1.5 weeks in and I'm still not sure whether I hosed up by getting the 6 Pro. This thing is huge and I have not yet gotten used to it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's an issue if you want fast charging.

Right. And the Ars Technica article specifically mentions that the evidence doesn't show significant battery degradation from quick charging.

sourdough posted:

Smart people got the base 6 anyway, with it's smaller, faster to charge battery :smugdroid:

:hai:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My Moment case arrived today for my 6 Pro. I love this phone and how it feels.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

FistEnergy posted:

Right. And the Ars Technica article specifically mentions that the evidence doesn't show significant battery degradation from quick charging.

This really feels like the phone battery version of "smoking doesn't cause cancer" but what do I know

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

couldcareless posted:

This really feels like the phone battery version of "smoking doesn't cause cancer" but what do I know

I mean, a 1 hour charge is a 1C charge rate, which almost any battery can easily handle with no real risk to it. If we assume the battery is a nominal 4.4v cell when fully charged that'd put a 30w charge at 6.8 amps into the cell, or about 1.5C for the 4.6AH battery when it's charging at its max rate. Nothing especially troubling.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Chikimiki posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that snagged a Pixel 6 on release day to replace my 3a but ended up returning it :v:
Too big, fingerprint reader sucks and I need a headphone jack. Camera is cool (didn't see that big a difference compared to the 3a however) and screen is pretty though.

Maybe the 6a will be more in my line?

You’re not alone, the Pixel a series represents the best of the Android platform imo, high priced Android phones are a sucker’s game.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I tweaked it to pull down the shadows because its pretty bright around here.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The at a glance weather doesn't update fast enough to keep up with volatile Melbourne weather. Took a jacket when it was warm out. Not unusual for temps to go up and down 20C/35F degrees in a few hours here.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm upgrading my phone for the first time in 5 years (S7 Edge) and I'm seriously contemplating spending $1800 on an Xperia Pro-I. This would be primarily as a backup to my video camera (A7SIII) and to have the ability to record 12 bit video when I don't have it with me.

Straight out of camera the photos don't look significantly better than the iPhone 13 max, but they should be less processed leaving more room for editing. Going to wait for some more in depth reviews before I pull the trigger but am I nuts for even considering this thing at this price? I've only been researching this for a couple weeks and I'm a bit out of touch on the phone market.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 9, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm upgrading my phone for the first time in 5 years (S7 Edge) and I'm seriously contemplating spending $1800 on an Xperia Pro-I. This would be primarily as a backup to my video camera (A7SIII) and to have the ability to record 12 bit video when I don't have it with me.

Straight out of camera the photos don't look significantly better than the iPhone 13 max, but they should be less processed leaving more room for editing. Going to wait for some more in depth reviews before I pull the trigger but am I nuts for even considering this thing at this price? I've only been researching this for a couple weeks and I'm a bit out of touch on the phone market.

I mean, you know it's nuts or you wouldn't be asking. Historically, I'm not sure any Sony phones have ever actually lived up to the hype with their cameras, instead you're generally paying extra for better hardware that actually gets you worse photos than other flagships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would say only buy if you are planning on shooting on manual modes and taking the RAW files off of it for editing afterwards as a matter of routine.

This is not a point and shoot camera phone to use out of camera JPEGs shot on auto settings since Sony is pretty weak at computational photography.