Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I really was just interested in what kind of consumption he gets between Spanish fork and green River. That long uphill climb to soldier summit which everyone drives 80 mph up specifically.

I’m local but don’t have an EV yet and am wondering what type of range vehicle I really need versus what I’m worried about.

What kind of EV did you drive it in and was there any range anxiety?

ABRP said I’d go from 80 to 24% doing the speed limit, actual was 80% to 25% doing 5 mph over most of the time plus 20 minutes of letting the car warm up this morning with remote start. So used 48.4 kWh total. Maybe would have been 45 or 46 going the speed limit and without the heater usage? Not sure exactly what price I pay for that stuff.

Definitely the kind of drive where you have to ignore the range meter a bit because it drops rapidly going up hills but then there’s down hills where you get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That’s for that Bird.
Looks like you are having a good time

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Last charge, Grand Junction CO.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Any issues with the chargers or charging?

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
5 days in with the Polestar 2. I love it. Not as much space as I would like, and we have to work out some google etiquette because incessant requests from the 7 year old are getting old.
Charging is no big thing. I’m just using their 110v adapter, and every morning it’s charged to 80% or whatever.
So far, it is matching my use case, 25-50 miles a day.
My wife has only driven it twice so far, and now I can report that the alert/alarming systems will report a curb when you run over it.
On the bright side, because the tires are hella stretched over the 9” rear rims , there was no pinching of the rubber.
Seat height is not ideal for short folks, and there are sooooooo many tech items that we didn’t have in our 13 year old car.
Complaints about the cleanliness of the car and the clumsiness of the handover have garnered a promise to pay for detailing.
I’m starting to become quite accustomed to the assistance. Holy crap the cruise control is awesome. Every school day, twice a day, I drive an almost dead straight 3 lane one way road with 12-14 lights for intersections, and a hundred streets between, this is wonderful to engage it and let it take care of dealing with the idiots in front of me.
I have not tried public charging yet , but I am signed up with Electrify American and am going to try it next week (2 years of free 30 min DC fast charging).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bone Crimes posted:

Any issues with the chargers or charging?

Everything has been perfect I think except for the one I’m at now actually. One set of 350s is out of service according to the monitor and the other one appears to work and will take credit cards but not my Ford account, so I’m charging at the 150. Which is fine the Mach E only charges over 150 for like 5 minutes and it’s only ~165 kW.

I’ll post some consumption analysis once I get to my destination.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

some_admin posted:

I have not tried public charging yet , but I am signed up with Electrify American and am going to try it next week (2 years of free 30 min DC fast charging).

That’s a good deal. I only got 500 free kWh from Ford and I’m going to end up using over half it on this one trip.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That’s a good deal. I only got 500 free kWh from Ford and I’m going to end up using over half it on this one trip.

*free tank of gas

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Nice to see a sign listing a fine for inappropriate parking. Ran across something similar in AZ during a road trip, but their signs aren't as obvious.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trickle charging at my destination, dear old da’s.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good night

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 8, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Saw the same color blue today. Looks nice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

some_admin posted:

5 days in with the Polestar 2. I love it. Not as much space as I would like, and we have to work out some google etiquette because incessant requests from the 7 year old are getting old.
Charging is no big thing. I’m just using their 110v adapter, and every morning it’s charged to 80% or whatever.
So far, it is matching my use case, 25-50 miles a day.
My wife has only driven it twice so far, and now I can report that the alert/alarming systems will report a curb when you run over it.
On the bright side, because the tires are hella stretched over the 9” rear rims , there was no pinching of the rubber.
Seat height is not ideal for short folks, and there are sooooooo many tech items that we didn’t have in our 13 year old car.
Complaints about the cleanliness of the car and the clumsiness of the handover have garnered a promise to pay for detailing.
I’m starting to become quite accustomed to the assistance. Holy crap the cruise control is awesome. Every school day, twice a day, I drive an almost dead straight 3 lane one way road with 12-14 lights for intersections, and a hundred streets between, this is wonderful to engage it and let it take care of dealing with the idiots in front of me.

How's the electrify america charging? I should probably try to take advantage of the free charging, but I am just so very lazy. I can tell myself that not using it is good since DC charging is worse for your battery but I know that's not enough reason to leave money on the table

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I saw what you said

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I saw what you said

OooooooooOoooo

lol what was it?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Drove from Carlsbad to Julian, CA in my Kia Niro EV ... some 4200 ft of climbing.

I had level-1 trickle-charged to 100% and the Kia Niro showed 250miles of calculated range at the start. We were getting 3.2 miles/kWh on the drive there, but on the way back we had ample Re-Gen so the overall round-trip results was:

Note the calculated range left.

And yes, we used some heat on the way back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I'm looking to buy a new EV these days, how much negotiating power do I actually have with the dealers? Is MSRP actually achievable, or does the shortage mean that everyone's just paying a few thousand more if they want a car?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I'm looking to buy a new EV these days, how much negotiating power do I actually have with the dealers? Is MSRP actually achievable, or does the shortage mean that everyone's just paying a few thousand more if they want a car?

Tesla sells for MSRP and only MSRP. So very achievable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Tesla sells for MSRP and only MSRP. So very achievable.

Tesla’s the only company doing that as a matter of policy, since they do all their selling direct and don’t have traditional dealerships. Anybody else and you’re going to be at the mercy of that specific dealer and how they want to price their cars, and specifically how they want to price their EVs.

If you’re talking about a place that wants to sell a bunch of crossovers/trucks/SUVs in a region that’s generally EV-indifferent or even hostile then they might not gouge you nearly as badly on an EV that frees up inventory space for more F150s marked up by $40k or Tucsons marked up by $10k.

If you’re in a region where they can’t keep MachEs on the lot any more easily than they can keep Broncos then you’re probably gonna see a hefty markup.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Buying an EV that isn’t a Tesla is pretty stupid at this point though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

don’t let LionArcher see this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Tesla’s the only company doing that as a matter of policy, since they do all their selling direct and don’t have traditional dealerships. Anybody else and you’re going to be at the mercy of that specific dealer and how they want to price their cars, and specifically how they want to price their EVs.

If you’re talking about a place that wants to sell a bunch of crossovers/trucks/SUVs in a region that’s generally EV-indifferent or even hostile then they might not gouge you nearly as badly on an EV that frees up inventory space for more F150s marked up by $40k or Tucsons marked up by $10k.

If you’re in a region where they can’t keep MachEs on the lot any more easily than they can keep Broncos then you’re probably gonna see a hefty markup.

Bum the Sad posted:

* Tesla and Polestar. I bought a Polestar 2 without ever setting foot in a dealership. They have some "spaces" where you can gawk at cars in a showroom, but if you schedule a test drive they drive the car to a location of your choosing and if you buy one then they will deliver it wherever you want. The test drive person isn't a salesperson, they are just there to explain features and answer questions - they don't earn commission and aren't associated with the purchase in any way. Everything associated with the purchase was done online aside from a few forms I signed when I accepted delivery of the vehicle.

I'm very hopeful that the popularity of the Tesla way of selling cars signals the impending death of the dealership model

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you’d think that a car with a name so evocative of strippers would be less buttoned-down and ahem-teutonic, but Volvo gonna Volvo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tesla does market adjustments they just do it by changing the MSRP. The Model Y LR is like 7k more than it was back in March.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

QuarkJets posted:

* Tesla and Polestar. I bought a Polestar 2 without ever setting foot in a dealership. They have some "spaces" where you can gawk at cars in a showroom, but if you schedule a test drive they drive the car to a location of your choosing and if you buy one then they will deliver it wherever you want. The test drive person isn't a salesperson, they are just there to explain features and answer questions - they don't earn commission and aren't associated with the purchase in any way. Everything associated with the purchase was done online aside from a few forms I signed when I accepted delivery of the vehicle.

I'm very hopeful that the popularity of the Tesla way of selling cars signals the impending death of the dealership model

Which option packs did you end up getting? The "Pilot" and "Plus" seem pretty useful but I dunno about the "Performance" one.

I'm gonna hold out for the Polestar 3 I think, I have dogs and kids and need a hatch to load up the doggos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

Which option packs did you end up getting? The "Pilot" and "Plus" seem pretty useful but I dunno about the "Performance" one.

I'm gonna hold out for the Polestar 3 I think, I have dogs and kids and need a hatch to load up the doggos.

Pilot and Plus. The car is already on the high-end of performance for a luxury vehicle, so based on what I read the benefits in the Performance package seemed pretty marginal (and I heard that the special shock absorbers are super stiff anyway) - people who care a lot about squeezing every little bit of performance out of their vehicle will want them I'm sure, I'm just not one of those people.

Pilot and Plus are extremely good though. Pilot is a no brainer for commuters, all of the driver assist stuff is worth every penny. Plus is a lot of luxury stuff that I think is worthwhile: a sunroof, a heat pump, weavetech seats, better sound system, etc. After looking into them I thought both of these packs were good value

I have a friend who's in the same boat as you, they want a hatchback SUV for their dogs and are very interested in the Polestar 3. It's supposedly going to be built in the US so should be eligible for a lot of the hypothetical credits

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 8, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

QuarkJets posted:

Pilot and Plus. The car is already on the high-end of performance for a luxury vehicle, so based on what I read the benefits in the Performance package seemed pretty marginal (and I heard that the special shock absorbers are super stiff anyway) - people who care a lot about squeezing every little bit of performance out of their vehicle will want them I'm sure, I'm just not one of those people.

Pilot and Plus are extremely good though. Pilot is a no brainer for commuters, all of the driver assist stuff is worth every penny. Plus is a lot of luxury stuff that I think is worthwhile: a sunroof, a heat pump, weavetech seats, better sound system, etc. After looking into them I thought both of these packs were good value

I have a friend who's in the same boat as you, they want a hatchback SUV for their dogs and are very interested in the Polestar 3. It's supposedly going to be built in the US so should be eligible for a lot of the hypothetical credits

Yeah that would be exactly the setup I’d get too, those options are great. I have configured and priced it out a few times already I’m very tempted just the hatch.. I imagine the 3 will be hopefully out around the same time as the EV6 GT (kind of a hatch) and would be an interesting alternative along with perhaps one of the audi e-trons.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

OooooooooOoooo

lol what was it?

I find the car to be weird looking, but deleted it because I didn't want to write a negative comment below the pictures, as I think they're nice thread content. Really not into the Mustang-goes-SUV thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

I find the car to be weird looking, but deleted it because I didn't want to write a negative comment below the pictures, as I think they're nice thread content. Really not into the Mustang-goes-SUV thing.

The irony is that the GT looks way better than the lower-trim Mach E with the body colored non-grille.

Like the Mach E was clearly designed with the Mustang-looking grille in mind, and when it’s body colored it just makes the car look like one big orthopedic shoe. Just a big ol’ Croc rolling down the street.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The lead time on a Tesla is also like 6 months at this point.

Bolts are post recall and seem widely available compared to other EVs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jimong5 posted:

The lead time on a Tesla is also like 6 months at this point.

Model 3 LR/P and Model Y P have estimated delivery December on the US page. Model 3 base (or whatever, f.k.a. SR+) and Model Y LR have June.

It's an advantage that not all are built to order. They build a bunch of them and then match new orders to unassigned cars. Mine is currently about to enter the Suez canal and I bet many of the other ones on the same ship are the ones listed on the inventory page. So my fellow LHD Europeans who order now will get one of those. You can be unlucky with your assignment on a new order of course, if there are no cars in transit with that particular option combination.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bum the Sad posted:

The reason I didn't is that I couldn't afford any issues/defects because I had just started a job with a weekly 200mi commute. Having the car need to be fixed would have been a mess.

Also I got a decent 15k miles/year lease deal because the Kia dealers still get the $7k rebate.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Jimong5 posted:

Bolts are post recall and seem widely available compared to other EVs

Is Chevy actually selling them again? I don't see any on their website. I know one dealer near me claims to have a bunch for sale but that dealer's site never showed them as unavailable during the stop-sale in the first place.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

Model 3 LR/P and Model Y P have estimated delivery December on the US page. Model 3 base (or whatever, f.k.a. SR+) and Model Y LR have June.

Yeah if you want a non performance that’s like 8 months out, it kinda is what it is though and probably also a symptom of Tesla gearing up Texas production as much as anything else.

Harveygod posted:

Is Chevy actually selling them again? I don't see any on their website. I know one dealer near me claims to have a bunch for sale but that dealer's site never showed them as unavailable during the stop-sale in the first place.

I’ve seen dealers show them for sale on their sites, I haven’t actively been shopping for one though but it looks like to me that they are being made and sold, just getting scooped up fast.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The reason I didn't is that I couldn't afford any issues/defects because I had just started a job with a weekly 200mi commute. Having the car need to be fixed would have been a mess.

Also I got a decent 15k miles/year lease deal because the Kia dealers still get the $7k rebate.

FWIW my dad had a defect with his 3LR (I think it might’ve been a trim piece on one of the mirrors?) and Tesla sent a dude to his workplace to fix it.

I don’t recall if the fix was done in the parking lot Safelite-style or if they ended up taking the car to a service place local to his office, but they gave him a loaner while they worked on it (which he took to lunch) and then his car was ready to go before the end of the workday.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yeah, I think the Tesla quality issue is overblown now (especially with what appears to me to be a general decrease in delivery quality of vehicles in the past decade or so). Mine wasn’t perfect: the coat hook on one side didn’t stay latched. I had an option of someone coming to me in ~2 weeks or taking it into the shop the next week.

I dropped it off about 9AM and left with a Model S loaner, and it was done by about 2:30. Since I chose the in-shop option, they removed and re-aligned one of my doors for me, which looked fine under normal light but seemed a little off under the shop lights (and apparently didn’t meet their specifications).

Compare that to my Kia, which was built without some clip that was supposed to hold a connector in place, so my cruise control and emergency braking and everything that needed a sensor quit working on day 2 of owning it. I spent 5 hours sitting in the shop waiting room for that. Then on the way home it happened again, because they just reconnected the cables without installing this apparently-critical clip. The shop was closed, so I had to go back a few days later. It was only 3 hours in the waiting room that time. Then that same shop broke a wheel lug trying to rotate my tires a few months later.

I’ve heard nightmares about Tesla’s build quality and service experience, but compared to what I’ve seen elsewhere, I definitely prefer it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

Kia / Hyundai is one of the more mature EV makers, so I think they're good, although they have their own issues -- mostly covered by the warranty, if the service department understands how to work on the car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

OooooooooOoooo

lol what was it?

I can’t tell you it’s a secret

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Genesis GV60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbBx1Swq6A

Don't think it looks nicer than the two others, but the suspension tech is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ola posted:

Genesis GV60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbBx1Swq6A

Don't think it looks nicer than the two others, but the suspension tech is interesting.

I can't wait to hear about all the fun and exciting ways that dumb shifting thing will break