Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

ARACHTION posted:

A friend of mine who got vaxx-pilled was telling me about how Trudeau was just steps away from installing communism. I asked him to define communism and he was not able other than to give me the synonym “tyranny”.

These people are so dumb. I guess imagining yourself as the protagonist of a dystopian movie you like is a way to feel special if you’re alienated and live in the suburbs?

I work in a federally regulated industry and the company has placed any unvaccinated people on unpaid leave. I spent the whole last shift I worked with one lady trying to untangle and debunk so much misinformation. It started at "the vaccine does nothing because you can still get sick" and progressed all the way to "there are consecration camps in Australia for the unvaccinated and this is the second coming of Hitler". Pretty wild. Even if she decides to get the vax and come back to work it's hard to trust her judgment on technical things we do if she has such obviously wrong ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Was Bernier always secretly this insanely right wing or is the last few years a grift that has gone too far but he's cynically rolling with it? Does he really believe this poo poo?

I feel like when he was running for Conservative Leadership he was just like every other Conservative, albeit more libertarian leaning in ideology. The thing he was mostly upset about was the fact that we subsidized milk farmers instead of letting the Free Market work its magic.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

DrBox posted:

I work in a federally regulated industry and the company has placed any unvaccinated people on unpaid leave. I spent the whole last shift I worked with one lady trying to untangle and debunk so much misinformation. It started at "the vaccine does nothing because you can still get sick" and progressed all the way to "there are consecration camps in Australia for the unvaccinated and this is the second coming of Hitler". Pretty wild. Even if she decides to get the vax and come back to work it's hard to trust her judgment on technical things we do if she has such obviously wrong ideas.

Agree with her and remind her it took communists to defeat Hitler so join up comrade

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DrBox posted:

Consecration camp, that's way catchier than residential school

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Auto correct got me, but I like this so I'm leaving it!

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Femtosecond posted:

Was Bernier always secretly this insanely right wing or is the last few years a grift that has gone too far but he's cynically rolling with it? Does he really believe this poo poo?

I feel like when he was running for Conservative Leadership he was just like every other Conservative, albeit more libertarian leaning in ideology. The thing he was mostly upset about was the fact that we subsidized milk farmers instead of letting the Free Market work its magic.

Bernier was the biggest force behind gutting the long form census under Harper. He was catering to the stupidest, craziest SovCit types in the party right from day 1.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It’s also very possible that he, like the rest of the 20% of society who have gone off the deep end was also further radicalized in the last couple years.

That and the grift giveth and had made it a viable career path for him where he has extreme popularity and respect within a small segment of society. Why go to the mainstream where people treat you with contempt when you can be comfortable in your own insane little safe space?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I may be using this typo myself in the future.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think the likeliest explanation was that Bernier was always this crazy far right-wing, he was just self-censoring because he's smart enough to know that he's not going to get far with CPC insiders if he went full mask off.

He was just as nuts in the 2019 election, it was just focused more on immigration than anti-vaxx stuff.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ARACHTION posted:

A friend of mine who got vaxx-pilled was telling me about how Trudeau was just steps away from installing communism. I asked him to define communism and he was not able other than to give me the synonym “tyranny”.

These people are so dumb. I guess imagining yourself as the protagonist of a dystopian movie you like is a way to feel special if you’re alienated and live in the suburbs?

Yeah, seems to be a common trope for this sort of person. Disaffected right-wingers who think Trudeau is communism embodied, really into 'masculinity', and are 100% certain that they're the surviving humans in the zombie movie, not part of the shambling horde.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

enki42 posted:

I think the likeliest explanation was that Bernier was always this crazy far right-wing, he was just self-censoring

I mean, yeah, he's a white guy.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Have you guys all forgot about the time Bernier was dating a Hell's Angel and brought home confidential documents to show her and got his rear end turfed out of cabinet?

You don't think he's one bit salty that Harper didn't lift a finger to cover it up and help salvage his career? Especially in light of all the poo poo everyone else got away with?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I mean he is surely both influenced by the mainstream cons booting him and the slickedback blonde totally not Nazi dweebs loving him.

Also I woke up so much easier today due to it not being dark and will have a safer bike ride into work for the same reason. Why am I supposed to hate daylight savings again?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ARACHTION posted:

I mean he is surely both influenced by the mainstream cons booting him and the slickedback blonde totally not Nazi dweebs loving him.

Also I woke up so much easier today due to it not being dark and will have a safer bike ride into work for the same reason. Why am I supposed to hate daylight savings again?

You are supposed to hate daylight savings time, because that's what we switched off. This is standard time now and it is, as you've noticed, superior.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

half cocaine posted:

Have you guys all forgot about the time Bernier was dating a Hell's Angel and brought home confidential documents to show her and got his rear end turfed out of cabinet?

You don't think he's one bit salty that Harper didn't lift a finger to cover it up and help salvage his career? Especially in light of all the poo poo everyone else got away with?

It's not that he brought the documents home to show her. It's that he left them at her house, and then dumped her, and wouldn't take her calls when she tried to return them.

I remember the time he told the media "the governor of Kandahar Province is corrupt, but we control Hamid Karzai so we'll have him removed."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ARACHTION posted:

Because it'll be dark at 5

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's not that he brought the documents home to show her. It's that he left them at her house, and then dumped her, and wouldn't take her calls when she tried to return them.

I remember the time he told the media "the governor of Kandahar Province is corrupt, but we control Hamid Karzai so we'll have him removed."

I had no idea it was that bad and stupid. Bernier is awesome in my mind because he's so committed to loving the Tories. He is doing god's work.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

PittTheElder posted:

Because it'll be dark at 5

I'm dark 24/7

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have blackout curtains and haven't left my house in 19 months, what even is the sun

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Normal military.

Canadian officials who met with Ukrainian unit linked to neo-Nazis feared exposure by news media: documents

quote:

A year before the meeting, Canada’s Joint Task Force Ukraine produced a briefing on the Azov Battalion, acknowledging its links to Nazi ideology.
Author of the article:
David Pugliese • Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date:
Nov 08, 2021 • 6 hours ago • 4 minute read

Canadian officials who met with members of a Ukrainian battalion linked to neo-Nazis didn’t denounce the unit, but were instead concerned the media would expose details of the get-together, according to newly released documents.

The Canadians met with and were briefed by leaders from the Azov Battalion in June 2018. The officers and diplomats did not object to the meeting and instead allowed themselves to be photographed with battalion officials despite previous warnings that the unit saw itself as pro-Nazi. The Azov Battalion then used those photos for its online propaganda, pointing out the Canadian delegation expressed “hopes for further fruitful co-operation.”
Canadian officials who met with Ukrainian unit linked to neo-Nazis feared exposure by news media: documents

After a journalist asked the Canadian Forces about the Azov social media postings, officers scrambled to come up with a response, according to documents obtained by this newspaper through Access to Information law.

Lt. Col. Fraser Auld, commander of Canada’s Joint Task Force Ukraine, warned that a news article might be soon published and could result in questions being asked inside the Canadian government about why such a meeting took place.
Advertisement
Article content

A year before the meeting, Canada’s Joint Task Force Ukraine produced a briefing on the Azov Battalion, acknowledging its links to Nazi ideology. “Multiple members of Azov have described themselves as Nazis,” the Canadian officers warned in their 2017 briefing.

Bernie Farber, head of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, said the Canadians should have immediately walked out of the Azov Battalion briefing. “Canadian armed forces personnel do not meet with Nazis; period, full stop,” Farber said. “This a horrendous mistake that shouldn’t have been made.”

Farber said it was also disturbing the Azov unit was able to use the Canadians in propaganda attempts to legitimize its far-right ideology. Besides its support of Nazi ideology, Azov members have been accused of war crimes and torture.
Advertisement
Article content

One gathering that journalists didn’t find out about was a December 2018 event in Ukraine attended by then Canadian Army commander Lt.-Gen. Jean-Marc Lanthier, according to the documents.

Members of the Azov Battalion were present, but, again, instead of denouncing the battalion’s Nazi sympathies, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces focused concern on the possibility that photos might have been taken showing Canadian soldiers with members of the Azov unit.

Chris Henderson, then assistant deputy minister for public affairs, emailed more than 20 DND public-relations officers, worried that photos might appear online. “Do we have a clear expression of CAF policy toward this group?” he asked of the Azov Battalion. “This may or may not prompt questions, but we need to be ready and not come across as being taken by surprise.”
Advertisement
Article content

Jaime Kirzner-Roberts, policy director of the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center, said Canada had to make it a priority that its military personnel have no involvement with far-right fascist militias in Ukraine under any circumstances. “It’s concerning that, for the second time in a month, we have seen evidence of Canadian military officials engaging with Ukrainian neo-Nazi groups,” she added.

Kirzner-Roberts was referring to a recent report from an institute at George Washington University in the United States revealing that Centuria, a far-right group made up of Ukrainian soldiers linked to the Azov movement, boasted they received training from Canada and other NATO countries. Researchers with the university tracked social media accounts of Centuria, documenting its Ukrainian military members giving Nazi salutes, promoting white nationalism and praising members of Nazi SS units.
Advertisement
Article content

In 2018, the U.S. Congress banned the use of U.S. funds to provide arms, training and other assistance to the Azov Battalion because of its links to the far-right and neo-Nazis.

National Defence spokesman Dan Le Bouthillier said the Canadian military was examining its policies on the vetting of foreign troops it trains as well as the information uncovered by the George Washington University report.

He had earlier noted that the 2018 meeting with Azov Battalion members was planned and organized by Ukrainian authorities. Canadian military representatives had no prior knowledge of those who would be attending, he added. Le Bouthillier noted it was the job of the Canadian defence attaché to assess the situation in the conflict zone. “Canada has not, does not, and will not be providing support to Azov and affiliated entities,” Le Bouthillier said.
Advertisement
Article content

In 2019, the Soufan Center, created by former FBI agent Ali Soufan, who was involved in a number of counter-terrorism cases, warned about the connection between the Azov Battalion and white nationalists. “In Ukraine, the Azov Battalion has recruited foreign fighters motivated by white supremacy and neo-Nazi beliefs, including many from the West, to join its ranks and receive training, indoctrination and instruction in irregular warfare,” the report outlined.

The Azov Battalion has been formerly incorporated into the Ukrainian military, at least in theory, the Soufan Center report noted. But the battalion has cultivated a relationship with members of the Atomwaffen Division, a U.S.-based neo-Nazi terrorist network, it added.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Finally, a story to distract from the rampant sexual misconduct of our military leadership!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Another Bill posted:

Finally, a story to distract from the rampant sexual misconduct of our military leadership!

We've appointed an independent investigator to look into this. Yes, the investigator is also a Ukrainian Nazi.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I am very disappointed that the Azov Battalion chose to meet with pro nazi military forces.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Cocaine Bear posted:

We've appointed an independent investigator to look into this. Yes, the investigator is also a Ukrainian Nazi.

Chrystia Freeland?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pleads posted:

I have blackout curtains and haven't left my house in 19 months, what even is the sun

Getting a jumpstart on the Morlok evolutionary stream, eh?

edit: poo poo this thread woke up

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1457730104516284423?s=21

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

In what way does this statement not apply to any member of cabinet, like, ever?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Something deeply ironic about pointing out somebody's stupidity in a tweet riddled with typos and intentional errors. Just post two tweets, my dude.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Muscle Tracer posted:

Something deeply ironic about pointing out somebody's stupidity in a tweet riddled with typos and intentional errors. Just post two tweets, my dude.

language is made-up nonsense, English most of all, the tweet is fine.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021
re: that bernier tweet, I'm really not seeing what's so sinister about getting boosters. like oh no, every six or so months I'm going to have a sore arm for a day

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Rockstar Massacre posted:

language is made-up nonsense, English most of all, the tweet is fine.

"Fine" is a really low bar, especially for someone claiming to be smarter than someone else in a field largely mediated by the written word.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Oh my god take your stupid pedantry back to the 1990s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I cannot take this person seriously for having used common abbreviations on a medium that limits the number of characters you can use.

How can they criticize the substance of a man's character via his behaviour if they are unwilling to make a 30 tweet thread to accurately spell out their entire argument? I will wait until they submit their thesis to a newspaper of record, after having been dutifully proofed, before I will consider what they have to say.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

U should all know this guy is a Nazi and incredibly dangerous.

-Lololol, it's spelled "Y-O-U"

No seriously, it's a big problem were all gonna regret ignoring this

-Hahahahhahahahahahahahha! It's "W-E *APOSTROPHE* R-E" hahahahha you loser.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I can't speak to Dennis Horak, but Andray Domise is always worth reading.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 8, 2021

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

fartman posted:

re: that bernier tweet, I'm really not seeing what's so sinister about getting boosters. like oh no, every six or so months I'm going to have a sore arm for a day

Doing something that isn't strictly for self-benefit once is really hard for his followers, doing so twice a year is basically their personal Vietnam.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, that and like half of them seriously believe it's a communist plot to corrupt their purity of essence.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ah, if "common on Twitter" is the proper standard for politicians, it's no wonder there's so much racism and sexual harassment among them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The highlighted tweet is from a diplomat and Andray Domise has never been elected to office, he's a writer, although he did run for city council once. The only politician involved is Maxime Bernier, the subject of the criticism.

This is what he had to say.
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1457078977718276101

So no, not a high bar, but I have no idea what you are even taking issue with other than "Twitter exists and uses different conventions than more formal media".

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
If there's one thing the world needs, it's more and longer tweet threads.