Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

moist turtleneck posted:

stuff has been sitting in Coming Soon since October 12th but yeah okay

even anthem was pumping out updates within the first couple weeks

By a much larger studio with a more aggressive publisher and with much bigger launch issues

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anything until around Thanksgiving, but I'm really hoping for something coming sooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think I'm just gonna drop this game as a bad job. There's fun to be had here but they won't let me find it solo, and they've broken quickjoin mm so hard that I can't find the fun with randos. All I'm left with is premade groups, which the game is also incredibly hostile towards with the special spam and the backasswards difficulty jumps. I can't even enjoy the 'story' because I have no idea what any of it even is because they only wanna share story in peoples soundbites, so instead of an explination I just get bangBANGbangbangBANGbangI'mout!bangboombangI'MOUTOFAMMO!bangBANGbang

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The game's got good bones and I want it to succeed but the first month is crucial after a release and no communication is Bad 4 Business

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Door Frame posted:

By a much larger studio with a more aggressive publisher and with much bigger launch issues

I play a lot of multiplayer games by smaller teams, and the first few days/weeks after release or a content update are almost always accompanied by several bug fixes, balance tweaks, and minor quality of life improvements.

If the B4B developers can't work at that pace, fine, but the radio silence about players' serious issues with the game -- both design choices and actual bugs -- is not doing them any favors at all.

Even a "sorry folks, mutation spawns match our vision so we're not changing them" would at least let me know I can uninstall and stop following the game.

No other game has made me so thankful for Game Pass.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how much do you get for having a game pass game and with that quantity of money how much post release support can you expect? because i too have paid the devs nothing but hope they'll patch a better game in and i don't know how sustainable it is under this model.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I play a lot of multiplayer games by smaller teams, and the first few days/weeks after release or a content update are almost always accompanied by several bug fixes, balance tweaks, and minor quality of life improvements.

If the B4B developers can't work at that pace, fine, but the radio silence about players' serious issues with the game -- both design choices and actual bugs -- is not doing them any favors at all.

Even a "sorry folks, mutation spawns match our vision so we're not changing them" would at least let me know I can uninstall and stop following the game.

No other game has made me so thankful for Game Pass.

There’s a trello card in the coming soon category for fixing specials spawning in groups https://trello.com/c/Ze3Eob7M

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CoolCab posted:

how much do you get for having a game pass game and with that quantity of money how much post release support can you expect? because i too have paid the devs nothing but hope they'll patch a better game in and i don't know how sustainable it is under this model.

I have no idea, but they're also selling the game for $60 retail. Charge AAA game prices, provide AAA game support. If that model isn't sustainable for the devs, well... that's on their business people.

A lot of high-profile, non-first-party games come out on Game Pass, so I have to think it's a positive opportunity for most developers who don't self-publish.

Trabisnikof posted:

There’s a trello card in the coming soon category for fixing specials spawning in groups https://trello.com/c/Ze3Eob7M

That's good in theory, but it has no details at all. A public Trello board doesn't replace having a PR presence, even if it's just the project lead or whatever updating a blog or Twitter feed. Do they have to? No. But this is a multiplayer-centric game, and it's going to live or die by its community and player base.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I sound super negative in this thread. This game is SO CLOSE to being what I want from a co-op experience. The weapons and shooting and environments are generally excellent. But in certain key areas (all fixable ones, too!) it falls flat on its face, and that's so frustrating.

Basically this:

moist turtleneck posted:

The game's got good bones and I want it to succeed but the first month is crucial after a release and no communication is Bad 4 Business

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I think most want to believe evolve was all 2k and not from the team, so high hopes the release doesn't get botched with slow adjustments and updates

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ShootaBoy posted:

I think I'm just gonna drop this game as a bad job. There's fun to be had here but they won't let me find it solo, and they've broken quickjoin mm so hard that I can't find the fun with randos. All I'm left with is premade groups, which the game is also incredibly hostile towards with the special spam and the backasswards difficulty jumps. I can't even enjoy the 'story' because I have no idea what any of it even is because they only wanna share story in peoples soundbites, so instead of an explination I just get bangBANGbangbangBANGbangI'mout!bangboombangI'MOUTOFAMMO!bangBANGbang

I play this a little with a full group of people and it's just not fun half the time. it's a little too hardcore for fun drinking with friends.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
in my idiot noob opinion recruit is like a boring walking sim and vet is extremely difficult. when the director is feeling generous vet can be fun but otherwise it feels critically hosed in terms of expectations from the players. the gap in difficulty here is kinda suffering, it winds up being two lacking experiences since I don't feel like I learn anything on recruit to prepare for vet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roadmap revealed

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Apparently they did the same thing with Evolve when it dropped, very little communication and took way too long to drop and kind of bugfix.

Glad to see they learned their lesson the first time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Considering how many games with good ideas wind up being irredeemable, unfixable poo poo once they drop, it would be a shame to see a game with such a solid foundation flounder on execution. It's worse somehow when you can tell it can be fixed, but just isn't.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Roadmap revealed

Looks good to me. So an update in 1-3 weeks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it needs all of those things but pushing "additional difficulty level" off until next year seems kind of unambitious? here i'll make you a new difficulty level in 5 seconds: veteran with no friendly fire and the same 4 free goes at a med cabinet and the same continue rules as recruit - vet but much more forgiving or recruit but much harder mechanically. call it recruit + or vet - whatever who cares.

maybe they'll stick in some kind of difficulty pass as a QoL enhancement? stuns and instakills, like poo poo that knocks you back into death zones should be reduced at least imo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leal posted:

Some nights the game just goes "gently caress you" and throws multiples of each type of special on you at once.

Other nights it goes "gently caress you" and spawns 1 single zombie in a direction you just looked at both to do chip damage at you and to utterly gently caress you over if you need to fall back and go in the direction that was clear a second ago by rooting you in place until you kill it.

I remember one run recently where I went into a bathroom with no windows, vents, or any doors but the one I came out of (the Blue Dog Mine house before the wall made out of cars) and as soon as I turned around a Crusher grabbed me from behind.

Speaking of runs getting hosed: Last night I had a great one going where I had cleared Act 1 up to Blue Dog Mine, and the game crashed. I was hosting, and was able to rejoin, but it crashed again. When I tried to resume the run today, it said the run had failed, so I'd have to start over.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Turin Turambar posted:

Roadmap revealed

About what I'd expected, though I do feel that December seems pretty far off for an offline mode. Excited for alternate character cards, not that +25% trauma resistance is bad, but it's hard to know how useful it actually is

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I tired this out for a few hours on Game Pass, but it just wasn't really fun.

I can't quite articulate why, its just that there seemed to be several systems standing between the player and a fun experience.

Hope the patches fix this!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Now that we have a bunch more gun stats from the devs, people are doing testing and discovering that +damage buffs don't matter for inflicting stun. So unless you're going for specific killing shot breakpoints, you actually want attack speed for crowd control. Which means that reload speed reigns supreme for bolt action sniper rifles.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have they said what the new coop mode will be? I'm guessing no, but I assume it'll be a last stand mode based around existing set pieces, like the grand old house.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have they said what the new coop mode will be? I'm guessing no, but I assume it'll be a last stand mode based around existing set pieces, like the grand old house.

The gang all take turns kissing Tony Todd

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Desert Eagle is so good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Deagle with the infinite secondary ammo card :getin:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have played this drat game almost 40 hours and it has not graced me with the unlimited secondary ammo card yet :sigh:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You uh, know the card unlocks are not random right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? No I didn't know that. There is one supply line I have ignored for a long time because I hated the cards though. Did I gently caress up by not cycling it out maybe?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zURAO8DELx_EN1D8YkuJ8hw_WQ2jY1mcLE4D8ElMYUo/edit?usp=drivesdk

Has a list of all the cards, which supply line they are from and the unlock order.

Ammo stash is from the bottom line, which I assume is the one you have been skipping.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol yup

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
So I've just been playing through the campaign online, and haven't had anyone dropping into my games. I assume that's because most folks are past act 1. I'm almost to the end of it during a horde event when suddenly three people drop into my game and the difficulty spikes 1000 percent. I instantly died to a hundred ridden swarming me. Seems like the only way to play the game and enjoy it is to grind through it solo on easy difficulty until you can afford all the cards you need for a good build.

I hate this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
good news! you don't get any progression points and as such new cards in solo at all

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Wait, really? Because I was just going to play solo campaign for the supply points. If that's the case I might be stopping playing the game altogether, holy hell.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
believe so, lol. see how "solo offline with campaign progression" is a december goal

Turin Turambar posted:

Roadmap revealed

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

CoolCab posted:

believe so, lol. see how "solo offline with campaign progression" is a december goal

To me it reads that you won't have to "sign in" on startup, not necessarily be able to get points. I'll have to try and see if you can get points solo because if you can't, that's buullllll

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no that was just me confirming it, i think right now solo allows you access to all cards but no supply points. it's there to let you test out decks rather than campaign progress.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

If you want to play the game "solo" you can just start an online run and set your social settings to friends only. You'll still get supply points and progress normally

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Ah, well thanks to both of you for explaining. They should have just made L4D3, but the “games as a service” model is the way these days.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know, I kept waiting for the microtransactions to pop up as soon as they explained cards an supply points and was pleasantly surprised that all progression is earned in game. Not even cosmetics can be bought AFAIK

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Irregardless posted:

Ah, well thanks to both of you for explaining. They should have just made L4D3, but the “games as a service” model is the way these days.

Yeah I'm as guilty as the next person of having my brain tickled by unlocking abilities and skins, despite having a blast playing old l4d strictly for the fun of it and not "progress." There are plenty of pubbies playing the entire campaign on recruit though, so you should be able to complete it top to bottom online and have a fine deck unless you're just dead set against playing with others

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Recruit allows for some hilarious builds that would require a lot more finesse at higher difficulties. I def recommend playing a goofy build on recruit as a palate cleanser.

Last night we were playing and there was a goofy bug that gave us our full decks like 4 stages into act 1. I was doing a gimmick melee build with holly and I just monster trucked around. I took out two tallboys at once, solo, with minimal damage. I would trigger hordes just to solo them. It was the best bug I’ve had so far. The card that makes you attack faster the more you kill paired with Holly’s “gain 10 stamina per kill” means you just never stop swinging. I also had the “get more copper anytime you or a teammate picks some up” card so we had every upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah I'm as guilty as the next person of having my brain tickled by unlocking abilities and skins, despite having a blast playing old l4d strictly for the fun of it and not "progress." There are plenty of pubbies playing the entire campaign on recruit though, so you should be able to complete it top to bottom online and have a fine deck unless you're just dead set against playing with others

I mean, I just got started and I'm the pubbie playing on recruit. When others join in the difficulty is outrageously different than when it's just me. I barely have fifteen cards now. Life is pain.