Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

did it look like there are roll iframes in the gameplay footage? the player got hit a bunch and i couldn’t tell.

i guess it’s pretty likely, but would be cool if they switch it up regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

cool av posted:

did it look like there are roll iframes in the gameplay footage? the player got hit a bunch and i couldn’t tell.

i guess it’s pretty likely, but would be cool if they switch it up regardless.

I didn't notice a roll that could be interpreted as having i-frames, and as someone else pointed out, it seems like you have the Bloodborne quick step-dodge instead of rolling, at least when locked on during battle, which I'm cool with. There also seems to be more of an impact when fighting things, in the gameplay footage when they're fighting the dragon, the dragon's wing knocks them on their back as does the following attack with their mouth, then they roll to stand up, so I'm not sure if that's just the animation used when you quickly get up after getting knocked down or what. Some of the more exciting gameplay stuff for me was the way the dragon as well as the other bosses shown seem to physically knock the player back in a way that other Dark Souls games didn't really have, like they hold up their sword to block another attack immediately after getting knocked down and when their head hits the character they block it but roll backwards into the same position holding their sword, which I thought might just be the result of it being the last attack that the player could actually block before their poise would have broken, since it seems like you just barely block it without getting knocked down. Also the attacks against the dragon look more 'realistic' than souls combat, when the sword hits the dragon's neck, you can see what looks like an actual cut into it's flesh.

I don't know if it's just the camera movement, or if I'm just imagining things, but there seems to be more of a like physicality to the combat that wasn't there before, and the lack of rolling through attacks with i-frames, and the way the player character repeatedly blocks attacks, not with a shield, but holding the sword up, makes it feel like it's going to be quite different from Soulsborne games, but it's hard to say without having played it. I hope it's different, I like Sekiro a lot more than the Souls games because the combat isn't as ambiguous, you either time the deflect or you don't, but it's hard to tell exactly what you did wrong in Souls games sometimes because it's not so easy to tell when your i frames start and end.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

tbh I'd be both shocked and really annoyed if iframes were gone, they're one of the most fundamental elements of Souls combat and really make aggressive movement more viable than if rolling was strictly evasive

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
There will definitely be iframes and I'm pretty sure they are intentionally loving up the roll and getting clipped

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah, I keep forgetting that he's the first thing that they showed in the 2019 teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wwSxl0atc

I've always wondered what the character *is* with the long red hair that's seen during the bit where the narrator says 'look up at the sky, it burns'. My immediate impression was that it was some sort of troll looking thing with a big nose. And the character running with the spear that 'breaks' the elden ring has really cool looking armor, and I hope it's in the game. But yeah, I wonder if any of that will be in the actual game, the footage of the woman holding a staff and the man hammering something were outsourced to a different company who also did some other concept art stuff, so I doubt that will be in the game, but it would be weird if Godrick was the only thing from that teaser that ended up in the game.

i wonder when the embargo ends for the youtubers who have access to the network test, i was assuming it would be today at like 9 am.

if noone in the game says ohhhh the elden ring i will throw the game in the trash and poo poo!!!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some Micolash looking guy is going to say 'ah the elden ring or some say the darksign' and lore nerds are going to go insane

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just noticed on the map there's a little picture of a guy in a boat in the water. Are boats in? Is fishing IN?? Are our dreams about to come true???

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fishing is in but making the 60 hour fishing minigame mandatory to complete the game was a big mistake imho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cowcaster posted:

fishing is in but making the 60 hour fishing minigame mandatory to complete the game was a big mistake imho
Can't believe they replaced the concept of boss souls with Triforce shards.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bop bop perano posted:

I didn't notice a roll that could be interpreted as having i-frames, and as someone else pointed out, it seems like you have the Bloodborne quick step-dodge instead of rolling, at least when locked on during battle, which I'm cool with. There also seems to be more of an impact when fighting things, in the gameplay footage when they're fighting the dragon, the dragon's wing knocks them on their back as does the following attack with their mouth, then they roll to stand up, so I'm not sure if that's just the animation used when you quickly get up after getting knocked down or what. Some of the more exciting gameplay stuff for me was the way the dragon as well as the other bosses shown seem to physically knock the player back in a way that other Dark Souls games didn't really have, like they hold up their sword to block another attack immediately after getting knocked down and when their head hits the character they block it but roll backwards into the same position holding their sword, which I thought might just be the result of it being the last attack that the player could actually block before their poise would have broken, since it seems like you just barely block it without getting knocked down. Also the attacks against the dragon look more 'realistic' than souls combat, when the sword hits the dragon's neck, you can see what looks like an actual cut into it's flesh.

I don't know if it's just the camera movement, or if I'm just imagining things, but there seems to be more of a like physicality to the combat that wasn't there before, and the lack of rolling through attacks with i-frames, and the way the player character repeatedly blocks attacks, not with a shield, but holding the sword up, makes it feel like it's going to be quite different from Soulsborne games, but it's hard to say without having played it. I hope it's different, I like Sekiro a lot more than the Souls games because the combat isn't as ambiguous, you either time the deflect or you don't, but it's hard to tell exactly what you did wrong in Souls games sometimes because it's not so easy to tell when your i frames start and end.

You can block with a sword and get knocked back despite blocking in other souls games. In fact that specific “land a back flip while blocking” animation has been in the games since DS1 at least.

You can also definitely roll in Elden Ring. In the dragon fight clip the guy rolls out the way of a head sweep right before he hits the charged attack on the head

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

skasion posted:

You can block with a sword and get knocked back despite blocking in other souls games. In fact that specific “land a back flip while blocking” animation has been in the games since DS1 at least.

You can also definitely roll in Elden Ring. In the dragon fight clip the guy rolls out the way of a head sweep right before he hits the charged attack on the head

I know, I say in that post that the character rolls, I just said specifically that I didn’t notice an instance of rolling to get I frames.

The Bandai Namco YouTube page just posted these pictures
]

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ooh this is nice.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Frankston posted:

Ooh this is nice.

I was thinking given how much larger and open the maps would be, that they would need to adjust the death mechanic somehow. This seems like a neat mechanic if it works well

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will simply not die and avoid the trip back.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Oh come on lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

crouching in tall grass and breaking an enemy's posture, what is this, from software's critically acclaimed 2019 title sekiro: shadows die twice

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
What is the deal with this new style of marketing for a fromsoft game?

Simply a soft introduction for babby's first fromsoft game?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just noticed on the map there's a little picture of a guy in a boat in the water. Are boats in? Is fishing IN?? Are our dreams about to come true???

Used for travelling across the map maybe?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

huh posted:

Bandai’s takeaway from Cyberpunk2077 is that months and months of marketing hype build up before the release is good for business. You just need to release an actually good game at the end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

huh posted:

I think they want more normie gamers playing, they've also really been hammering on about variety of playstyles and expanding summoning options so players of all skill levels can get in on it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's the most epic poo poo.

LOOK UP AT THE SKY...IT BURNS

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
It's an open world game they are probably hoping to sell millions of copies of to the people that aren't already Soulsborne diehards, some marketing like this was inevitable, HTH

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Found by hunting beasts

Found by hunting birds

Found by hunting ______

huh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 8, 2021

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Do you think that tail comes off?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm a bit late to the "BET GAME EVER" vs "ubisoft open world trash" debate, but I have to say that while I'm still excited for the game, that gameplay trailer was... Underwhelming. I came in hoping to hear specifics about things like death mechanics, character customization, exactly how the multiplayer works differently from previous games, the combat system, etc... And they spent most of the time just describing very basic open world design. Hell, they showed off a stealth sequence that just made the game look no different from Ghost of Tsushima.

I'm failing to see what unique aspect they brought to the open world design, aside from tightly designed dungeons in an open world game that you can explore from more angles than usual in a souls game. Which, mind you, sounds cool - I'm hoping they've basically designed multiple Hyrule castles from BOTW, which was a high water mark from that game.

What I'd LIKE to see from this game (or a future From game):

- Reimagined death mechanics that really lend themselves to an open world, and make it feel just as dangerous and rewarding as their previous games.
- Multiplayer that isn't "dipping your toes into someone else's world temporarily". I want true co-op, where all players are in the SAME world, overcoming the SAME objectives.
- Much expanded + improved invasion mechanics. I've really wanted a game that leans heavily into the souls invasion mechanic for a long time, yet it feels like From has DE-emphasized PvP since DS2.
- Character and combat abilities that really take advantage of the open world. All we saw was... You have a horse, there are jump pads, and there's treasure convoys you can ambush. Ok? Like in every other open world game I've ever played? That's nice, I guess...
- Much deeper character customization than previous souls games, with much more varied abilities in combat. Most everything we saw here is pretty much what we've seen you do in other Souls games, aside from your horse and the summons (which I REALLY hope don't trivialize combat). edit: ok and the magic kamehameha beam, that was pretty rad

But yeah, like I said, I'm still looking forward to the game... But the things they chose to focus on in this trailer didn't excite me. As of right now I'm going to enjoy it simply because it's a new Souls game, but I really hope it's a lot more than that, and that the open world is used to uplift the game instead of just being tacked on in between dungeons that are the "real" meat of the game.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 8, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh posted:

Found by hunting beasts

Found by hunting birds

Found by hunting ______

found by hunting trinas looks like

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

huh posted:

Found by hunting beasts

Found by hunting birds

Found by hunting ______

Gonna genocide me some birds

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

- Much deeper character customization than previous souls games, with much more varied abilities in combat. Most everything we saw here is pretty much what we've seen you do in other Souls games, aside from your horse and the summons (which I REALLY hope don't trivialize combat). edit: ok and the magic kamehameha beam, that was pretty rad

cherry picking from your post here but that magic kamehameha beam is a literal copy paste from dark souls 3

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

cherry picking from your post here but that magic kamehameha beam is a literal copy paste from dark souls 3

My secret shame is I didn't finish DS3

or Sekiro

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also in general it seems like your list of fears seems to waver between "not enough like the dark souls we've seen before" and "too much like the dark souls we've seen before" and i don't think you can worry about both of those simultaneously

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

also in general it seems like your list of fears seems to waver between "not enough like the dark souls we've seen before" and "too much like the dark souls we've seen before" and i don't think you can worry about both of those simultaneously

What sure you can. Games can absolutely take the wrong lessons from their predecessors. Grandfathering in the poo poo and coming up with a new load of poo poo on top of it. Case in point Dark Souls 2’s attempts to “fix” twinking

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

They're not really fears so much as disappointment. I'm fine with it just being a new souls game, but if they've going to do open world I'd hope they'd have a justifiable reason for it. I'm not seeing anything so far that really does that. I don't think it will ruin the game, but it may end up being a missed opportunity. It'd be really sad the have From software, the people who redefined the action RPG, just copy/paste the open world formula from, well, everyone else.

I'm not saying it's not enough like Dark Souls at all, in fact. It looks VERY Dark Souls. But, like, Dark Souls needs new ideas, right? I think it's entirely possible to make a new Souls game, with all the mechanics and gameplay intact, and evolve it in interesting new ways other than just refining it. Bloodborne and Sekiro proved that. I just don't think "open world" is enough when every other AAA game is already open world. I hope there's mechanics they're holding back on revealing that justify the open world more, but, I mean, this was the gameplay trailer. That's where you SHOW stuff like that.

As for Good Stuff, the enemy design is better than ever. I love love love the weird, imaginative new monsters and bosses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cowcaster posted:

Yes they reuse assets a lot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

quiet you

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Reusing assets so you can focus on new content is smart and good.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I found it very amusing they're still using the DS1 skeleton wake up animation where it places its head on its neck even though in Elden Ring its head is already attached.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elden ring is actually a collection of all previously cut souls content

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Elden ring is actually a collection of all previously cut souls content

Oh word, then we'll finally get a finished Lost Izalith

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Blatant asset reuse is a sign of a blessed series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Honest question: how many open world games have treasure convoys you ambush? It sounds like the kind of thing that would come up a lot, but I've played a fair number and haven't encountered any.