Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have the dvds and somehow didn't think to try the commentary. Thank you!

They are excellent and add a lot to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

They are excellent and add a lot to the show.

They used to be available on the Simpsons world site, but they're gone from Disney+. Nobody has complained about this massive loss of content, presumably because everyone was too upset at missing out on a joke per season due to losing 4:3.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Its a cartoon, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I absolutely adore this era of bug-eyed large-pupils Simpsons for reasons I can’t understand. Look at Homer on the couch. Just look at him. Brings a smile to my face :)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

They used to be available on the Simpsons world site, but they're gone from Disney+. Nobody has complained about this massive loss of content, presumably because everyone was too upset at missing out on a joke per season due to losing 4:3.

Dang. I’ve wondered why streaming sites don’t offer commentary that had been included on DVDs, especially when it’s a situation like Disney+ where I assume they own the rights to the commentary and at this point the DVD sales are negligible and they aren’t gonna sell the tracks as standalones.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

I absolutely adore this era of bug-eyed large-pupils Simpsons for reasons I can’t understand. Look at Homer on the couch. Just look at him. Brings a smile to my face :)

There is just so much more soul in it compared to the screenshot above.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It might have been earlier in this thread but I'm sure I remember seeing something from a Simpsons writer saying that Homer being drawn wall eyed was a deliberate choice because of how funny it was.

Of course to modern Simpsons this is an error and has been corrected.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

There's an instagram account for that

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/CesarWeGetIt/status/1457514252592300033

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

HARD TANG

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i'm on my simpsons re-watch and i'm currently on season 8, and there's a bunch of episodes here that surprised me cause i honestly thought they came in later:

- burns, baby burns
- bart after dark
- a milhouse divided
-lisa's date with density
-hurricane neddy
-the twisted world of marge simpson
-mountain of madness
- the itchy, and scratchy and poochy show
-homer's phobia
- homer vs the 18th amendment
- my sister, my sitter
-the canine mutiny
-the old man and the lisa
- simpsons spinoff showcase
-the secret war of lisa simpson

hell, even homer's enemy(!!) was in this season!

now don't get me wrong, i think a bunch of these episodes are still great, but many of them have aspects that i would think would be around more after season 8, as so many people (myself included) consider it part of the 'golden years'.

and amusingly enough, on the other end, there were episodes here that i could have sworn showed up much earlier:

- the sherry bobbins episode (not gonna spell out the full name)
- the springfield files

some very surprising stuff going through this season

jesus christ indeed :stare:

i figured the rape poo poo was just...well, seth being seth, but i didn't realize he did this intentionally as payback for the simpsons making fun of him. and the fact that he thinks he's justified in doing so too.. :psyduck:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve said this before, but I consider season 7 to be the first time I started to see hairline cracks forming. Season 8 is where they definitely became troublesome cracks, and season 9 is where poo poo started crumbling.

Season 10 is where the foundation failed, and season 11+ is a total loss condemnation.

I mean, 7 and 8 are still good seasons, but I can honestly say watching them at the time something felt “off.” I still get that feeling upon rewatches.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

While the first half of Hurricane Neddy was amazing, the second half is just dull. Though we did get a great Dankmus track out of it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mr Interweb posted:

jesus christ indeed :stare:

i figured the rape poo poo was just...well, seth being seth, but i didn't realize he did this intentionally as payback for the simpsons making fun of him. and the fact that he thinks he's justified in doing so too.. :psyduck:

They built a mini-mall, so we built a bigger mini-mall.
They made the world's largest pizza, so we burnt down their city hall.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve said this before, but I consider season 7 to be the first time I started to see hairline cracks forming. Season 8 is where they definitely became troublesome cracks, and season 9 is where poo poo started crumbling.

Season 10 is where the foundation failed, and season 11+ is a total loss condemnation.

I mean, 7 and 8 are still good seasons, but I can honestly say watching them at the time something felt “off.” I still get that feeling upon rewatches.

The showrunners at the time (Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley) said they 'knew' the end of the series was just around the corner and that there had already been 6 seasons of 20+ episodes. So they got wacky with some stuff.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see season 7 as having any "cracks" but on recent viewings I've realized that it is slightly more serious in tone and more story-driven than the previous seasons, with seasons 4 and 5 being the peak of classic era "wackiness" and season 6 being a stepping stone between that and 7. There is a sense of it being a mature show that is prioritizing good storytelling over humor, while still having plenty of memorable jokes. Season 8 to me is where it begins feeling experimental, and Scully-era cracks start appearing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I remember making a note that the first metajokes about the Simpsons coming to an end and them repeating storylines or doing weird stuff started popping up in season 8. It was really clear they didn't expect to go further than season 9 or 10 and when season 13 came along it was with a sense of consigned dread and directionless acceptance.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The only thing worse than the show actually getting bad is people constantly trying to do some weird accelerationism poo poo about when the show got bad like some kind of elitist mockery except it's not a joke

Like there are people in this thread I think who have said unironically that the best seasons are 1 and 2, "and it only got worse after that" or something.

Season 7 is nearly perfect dude, stop it. Season 8 and 9 are still better than just about anything put out on TV ever. No they're not the S+ tier untouchable perfection of a few seasons before but it's not like they started making duds.

Gall!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlocksOfMice posted:

I remember making a note that the first metajokes about the Simpsons coming to an end and them repeating storylines or doing weird stuff started popping up in season 8. It was really clear they didn't expect to go further than season 9 or 10 and when season 13 came along it was with a sense of consigned dread and directionless acceptance.

Al "Consigned Dread" Jean was his Treehouse of Horror nickname this year

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno where the idea came about that the core seasons were 3-8, season 2 is wonderful and needs no excuses. Simpsons & Delilah, War of the Simpsons, Lisa’s Substitute are all gold, and Blood Feud and Dancing Homer are probably top ten eps.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Season 2 is amazing, but it's not the same show as season 5

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I agree, I love season 2 and kind of wish there was an alternate version of the show that retained that style, but it's not what people think of when you say "classic" or "peak" Simpsons.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a freak in that I love season 1. Season 1-9/10 are all perfectly cromulent for different reasons and have different moods and tones. I think the last time I did a "let's watch every Simpsons" i made it to 13 before I bailed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've always maintained that 9~10 are where the decline is visible but the good episodes still outnumber the bad.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

The only thing worse than the show actually getting bad is people constantly trying to do some weird accelerationism poo poo about when the show got bad like some kind of elitist mockery except it's not a joke

Like there are people in this thread I think who have said unironically that the best seasons are 1 and 2, "and it only got worse after that" or something.

Season 7 is nearly perfect dude, stop it. Season 8 and 9 are still better than just about anything put out on TV ever. No they're not the S+ tier untouchable perfection of a few seasons before but it's not like they started making duds.

Gall!!!!

So what your saying is that we need to go lower and say it went bad in season 0 or even the negative seasons.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

So what your saying is that we need to go lower and say it went bad in season 0 or even the negative seasons.

After the Tracey Ullman shorts it was just a straight run to the grave imho

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Look at this scrub who doesn’t think Life in Hell is where it all went to poo poo :lofty:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Matt Groening was a mistake.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

The Simpsons peaked with Life in Hell and went to poo poo with the Tracey Ullman shorts.

E: beaten, goddamnit

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
9-12 are worse seasons than 13-17.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Every episode of the Simpsons is bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Look at me! Hi, I'm an incompetent show runner, just like Al Jean! Give me an Emmy! Oh, I can't tell a joke, but nobody minds! My voice gave out 7 years ago, Marge sounds like a rock tumbler. Give me a raise! Now I'm doing a musical number to fill two minutes. But it doesn't matter, because I'm The Simpsons! I don't need to be funny, 'cause people will watch anyways! I'm the laziest show on primetime. Time to go home to my mansion and eat my lobster.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Television was a mistake

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Civilization was a mistake. We should all revert to small roving bands of hunter-gatherers, IMO.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As "Mr. Burns: A Post Electric Play" demonstrates, even the destruction of civilization won't save us from The Simpsons. Indeed, it is easier to imagine the end of the world than it is the end of Simpsons.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FunkyAl posted:

9-12 are worse seasons than 13-17.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Civilization was a mistake. We should all revert to small roving bands of hunter-gatherers, IMO.

The creation of the universe is considered on the whole a bad move.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have to admit that I still don't really "get" the "you are Lisa Simpson" note. Like, how is that comforting? How is that anything? I liked the episode though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's saying that Lisa Simpsons is person, and a person has a purpose and a meaning, and she is that person, so she doesn't need anyone else to justify her existence or personal worth.

Unless this is a troll meant to make fun of socially braindead SA goons I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Look at me! Hi, I'm an incompetent show runner, just like Al Jean! Give me an Emmy! Oh, I can't tell a joke, but nobody minds! My voice gave out 7 years ago, Marge sounds like a rock tumbler. Give me a raise! Now I'm doing a musical number to fill two minutes. But it doesn't matter, because I'm The Simpsons! I don't need to be funny, 'cause people will watch anyways! I'm the laziest show on primetime. Time to go home to my mansion and eat my lobster.

There is no way that The Simpsons is the laziest show on primetime lol