Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a particular point when you're supposed to empty out a pen that has ink in it with the "don't let me dry out in your pen" trait? My TWSBI Eco holds so much ink and has continued to write for so long that it worries me a little, since I've never actually emptied it out to wash it. Am I right to think it will be okay as long as I keep writing with it every other day or so?

Generally, if you're not leaving a pen to sit for weeks with ink in it, it'll be fine. But some inks are more finicky or likely to dry out and gum things up (and it feels like this is worse in something like a pocket pen, with a tiny nib/feed). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "don't let me dry out," though. Some inks'll get gummy or evaporate, some'll just stain the converter or whatever; I'm sure someone'll come up with a more correct answer than "you're probably fine" if you say what the ink is.

Sidenote:

That's what I get for using copy/filler paper instead of something nice, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sankis posted:

I'd start buying up deltas to keep grack on his toes

I WILL CUT YOU I SWEAR TO GOD

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zenostein posted:

Generally, if you're not leaving a pen to sit for weeks with ink in it, it'll be fine. But some inks are more finicky or likely to dry out and gum things up (and it feels like this is worse in something like a pocket pen, with a tiny nib/feed). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "don't let me dry out," though. Some inks'll get gummy or evaporate, some'll just stain the converter or whatever; I'm sure someone'll come up with a more correct answer than "you're probably fine" if you say what the ink is.

It's Platinum Carbon Black, which I was advised not to leave in the pen too long without cleaning because if the liquid dried out, the pen would be full of non-water-soluble carbon particles which would be very hard to clean out. On the other hand, it occurs to me that if the pen is nearly empty because of all the writing I did, it already has fewer carbon particles left in it than a full pen of ink would have done.

Meanwhile, between then and now the pen finally did run out of ink after fourteen pages of journaling, so I cleaned it and rendered the question moot. Not sure how long it takes the inside of a TWSBI Eco to dry out after I filled it with water ten times, but I suppose it'll be fine by tomorrow.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Some pens are also just extremely good at keeping ink fresh. Anything with a tight sealing cap is generally pretty good in my experience. My twsbi eco, moonman m2s, and of course my Platinum 3776 are very good at retaining ink.

A lot of caps actually have small holes in them for safety reasons, though, so even if it's tight it'll slowly dry out.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just tried some noodler's kung te cheng on some terrible cardstock and, true to its reputation, it doesn't smear at all once dry. It's incredible. I also used some noodler's rattler red on the same card to clarify something and it was still smearing after I blotted it multiple times.

This is bringing me one step closer to using fountain pen ink for all situations rather than having to stock a gel pen just in case. However, the nib is too broad, and the flow is a bit uneven (probably mainly my technique and the quality of the card stock). Still haven't picked up postcards to test, maybe tomorrow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sb hermit posted:

I just tried some noodler's kung te cheng on some terrible cardstock and, true to its reputation, it doesn't smear at all once dry. It's incredible. I also used some noodler's rattler red on the same card to clarify something and it was still smearing after I blotted it multiple times.

This is bringing me one step closer to using fountain pen ink for all situations rather than having to stock a gel pen just in case. However, the nib is too broad, and the flow is a bit uneven (probably mainly my technique and the quality of the card stock). Still haven't picked up postcards to test, maybe tomorrow.

I carry a ballpoint in two situations:
1. On my bike. It's a space pen refill in blue
2. At work for writing on labels. Uni Jetstream 1.0mm black

I could carry my vac mini on my bike but eh. Don't want to crash with it on me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

iospace posted:

I carry a ballpoint in two situations:
1. On my bike. It's a space pen refill in blue
2. At work for writing on labels. Uni Jetstream 1.0mm black

I could carry my vac mini on my bike but eh. Don't want to crash with it on me.

I have a pilot ballpoint or two just in case, mainly because there is the odd case that someone needs to borrow a pen but they freak out at a fountain pen. It has happened!

I forgot to mention that this kung te cheng is better than ballpoint (once dry) because this cheap card stock ($1 cards from daiso) is so bad that even balllpoint smears. I can't express enough how stoked I am.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

gschmidl posted:

Pilot Capless Raden Stripe?

HelLO

Keetron posted:

if they drop, it more often the cap that breaks.
Iroshizuku bottles will absolutely shatter though.

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 6, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

FFT posted:

Iroshizuku bottles will absolutely shatter though.

Planning on never finding out.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Goddamn but Goulet ships fast.

(I was impatient so as soon as it showed up I charged it using my gel nail lamp lmao)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thats a sweet buttplu... Er pen. More info plz?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

That's more like the shape of a dilator than a buttplug :colbert:

Anyway, when I saw the sale I decided to go for the BENU Briolette (Luminous Snowy Peak variant), and Goulet's website immediately successfully upsold me on the Luminous Pen Holder because, well. Look at it.

Clearly I have to get a bunch of these so I can sit at my desk like

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy poo poo the paper we use at work is utter poo poo.

I was getting feathering with Serenity Blue in my fine Curidas.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo the paper we use at work is utter poo poo.

I was getting feathering with Serenity Blue in my fine Curidas.

Its a curse. Once you regularly use any paper even slightly above average you come to realize just how much of the world uses the absolute cheapest paper possible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Thats a sweet buttplu... Er pen. More info plz?

I'm glad I'm not only that thought "shiny space dildo" on seeing that picture.

Now nobody ask why I buy so many oversized pens.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grack posted:

I'm glad I'm not only that thought "shiny space dildo" on seeing that picture.

Now nobody ask why I buy so many oversized pens.

We all just assumed you were compensating for something. :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sankis posted:

Its a curse. Once you regularly use any paper even slightly above average you come to realize just how much of the world uses the absolute cheapest paper possible.

Well I gotta say the iron gall stuff I am using now has excellent feathering characteristics. The look is notihng special though, some fading, kinda blue-black. But overall I like it, since I want a bulletproof ink.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Some inks look incredible when feathering. It kinda creeps outward but in a way where the color separates as it does. Sailor Studios 123 is particularly good for this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Anybody had some hands on thoughts about the Curidas? I've been wanting to try one but I haven't bit yet - is there any reason to get one if I already have a VP?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:argh: :italy:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

A Parkette from the first quarter of 1936 in red celluloid, cool find around here. Gold trimmings, which I assume are microscopically thin, were on remarkably good shape, only a bit of brassing on the lever. Sac was dead and probably was original, it had exploded leaving blue ink everywhere inside, which is always a treat.

Fun thing I liked about this pen is that the nib is very clearly not original (as far as I have seen, normal Parkettes had cheap-ish steel ones) but it's a gold Parker Lucky Curve nib. Just the nib, no curved feed as far as I can see. I think it may be the first time I've found a pen carrying what seems to be a replacement nib older than the pen itself. Writes very well in a sort of extra-fine nail fashion, zero flex, feels like writing with a needle. Shame that's got a small hairline crack at the very center and base of the nib. I suppose it cracked when fitting it in, because it looks a tad oversized for the pen. It doesn't effect writing, but I don't think a 90 years old cracked gold nib it's going to be very solid, so this one is going to show.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Something kind of pretty on the workbench this week, with one of the weirdest issues I've ever seen on a Sailor Pen

It's a Sailor Progear Kure Azul. It's labelled as a medium, but the person who asked me to work on the pen said it didn't write anything like his other Sailor mediums. Took a look at the tipping under high magnification and... it's actually a Zoom nib that was mis-labelled as a medium. I've never seen this before, and it surprised the owner just as much when I told him.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

grack posted:

Something kind of pretty on the workbench this week, with one of the weirdest issues I've ever seen on a Sailor Pen

It's a Sailor Progear Kure Azul. It's labelled as a medium, but the person who asked me to work on the pen said it didn't write anything like his other Sailor mediums. Took a look at the tipping under high magnification and... it's actually a Zoom nib that was mis-labelled as a medium. I've never seen this before, and it surprised the owner just as much when I told him.

What is a zoom nib?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

What is a zoom nib?

The tipping is ground in a roughly triangular shape, and the width of the line laid down depends on the angle at which the pen is held. A higher angle will produce a thinner line, a lower angle will produce a thicker line.

I've not yet seen a Zoom nib ground in a way that this is actual works to any useful degree and they tend to have a lot of feedback.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've come to realize the reason I'm always getting ink on my fingers at work is that there's like a little ring of seepage around where the nib and feed meet the body on my lamy safari. Is there anything I can do about this?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

taiyoko posted:

I've come to realize the reason I'm always getting ink on my fingers at work is that there's like a little ring of seepage around where the nib and feed meet the body on my lamy safari. Is there anything I can do about this?

Usually repairs cost more the new lamy so that yeah...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got my Opus 88 and Private Reserve ink, Sherwood green and Ebony Purple.

Sorry I have horrible writing!

taiyoko posted:

Have you tried pushing the feed + nib together back into the body a little to see if it's just a bit loose?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

taiyoko posted:

If you mean the little ring below the section, that's where the pen clicks into the cap. That'll inevitably get ink on it from you capping and uncapping the pen, so that much is unavoidable. However, if your fingers are down there, you're also Holding It Wrong™.

But seriously, there's no real reason to hold the pen that far down, your fingers are meant to be above the taper at the bottom of the section, not on it. And if you do that, you're not going to find little lines of ink on your fingers.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Zenostein posted:

If you mean the little ring below the section, that's where the pen clicks into the cap. That'll inevitably get ink on it from you capping and uncapping the pen, so that much is unavoidable. However, if your fingers are down there, you're also Holding It Wrong™.

But seriously, there's no real reason to hold the pen that far down, your fingers are meant to be above the taper at the bottom of the section, not on it. And if you do that, you're not going to find little lines of ink on your fingers.

Ok, that makes me feel better. I just have a weird southpaw grip that just ends up getting ink on my ring finger from that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, so do I from time to time. If you're incredibly fastidious about cleaning out the cap (specifically the little inner cap) and being very careful to not touch that inner cap when you cap the pen you can reduce the amount of ink that'll end up there, but it's more or less inevitable. The only way to avoid that is to just not touch it, which means holding the pen higher (or not worrying too much about the little lines, I guess).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, having now used Cosmo Air Light, it's my new favorite paper. So smooth with all the properties that makes TR really good.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh my loving god

https://i.imgur.com/vxJcldY.mp4

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It's so pretty... :swoon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Excuse me, that pen looks defective. Send it to me for proper disposal.

(Aww yeah)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

poo poo.

I have to go buy one now, don't I?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
900 dollar MSRP (paid close to half) pen quality. Aurora 88 Blue Mamba.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
:scrunt:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

900 dollar MSRP (paid close to half) pen quality. Aurora 88 Blue Mamba.

And reset.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Haha, just kidding. The tine that the feed was predominantly under is bent up. It writes very dry and the left to right stroke is scratchy, I wonder why...

Man, Italian pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They test them in the factory by using them as darts