Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Glottis posted:

what's the selling point? Are they especially comfortable or durable or something? That's a lot of money for that type of footwear.

They are super comfy and warm and never sweaty.

I probably wouldn't have used them enough to justify them pre-pandemic, but since I'm home all the time now they're my everyday shoe now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
For content, I bought a Belstaff Dunstall jacket in black:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just wear crocs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Just wear crocs

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
As a recent first time owner of crocs, they are great for quick out of the house shoes (aka taking garbage out, mowing, etc.) and you can just hose them off which is also great.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
For what it's worth when we had a kid and shortly thereafter the pandemic started, I became a housedad 2 and then 5 days a week, so it took no time at all to destroy my old $30 slippers. I replaced them with about $60 Timberlands which needed insoles to be cushy enough but have otherwise held up for over a year now without much signs of wear. No idea how long they'll last though so I'm definitely bookmarking those glerups for the future, thanks.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
For real though, my all time favorite slipper has been a pair of crocs—great barefoot in the summer, and in the winter, pair with a pair of socks! The rubber traps heat while the holes let out moisture, and the socks keep the rubber from getting wet.

For context I bought a couple of books:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I ordered some low level Hanes brand slippers because I feel like nice ones will still get slimy and disintegrate from foot stuff anyway so why buy really nice things that are still disposable.

"Just wear socks with them?"

Putting on socks defeats the whole purpose of me wanting slippers! If I wanted to do that on days off, I wouldn't need slippers!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Aramek posted:

nice ones will still get slimy and disintegrate from foot stuff anyway

Wash your dang feet son, come on.

But that's the thing about Glerups: they're so durable that they're no longer a disposable good. Eventually they'll wear out, of course, but you're probably looking at two years or more of continuous use before they do. And for many people, they're just excellent slippers throughout that time.

(I may be biased because I feel responsible for having given some goons the Glerups suggestion in the first place, but there are others in the $50-75 range which are apparently good.)

It's really a "buy once, cry once" thing, kind of how it works for shoes and boots in general.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Aramek posted:

I ordered some low level Hanes brand slippers because I feel like nice ones will still get slimy and disintegrate from foot stuff anyway so why buy really nice things that are still disposable.

"Just wear socks with them?"

Putting on socks defeats the whole purpose of me wanting slippers! If I wanted to do that on days off, I wouldn't need slippers!

I hate socks with a passion but the only thing I hate more is a gross, matted old pair of fuzzy slippers

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aramek posted:

nice ones will still get slimy and disintegrate from foot stuff anyway

The gently caress is wrong with your feet

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am wearing four socks right now.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

As a recent first time owner of crocs, they are great for quick out of the house shoes (aka taking garbage out, mowing, etc.) and you can just hose them off which is also great.

I almost bought some but I'm astounded something that's molded 1000000x at a time costs so much. I expected them to be $20 max.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am wearing four socks right now.

The ones on your hands are actually called gloves

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Slimy Hog posted:

The ones on your hands are actually called gloves

I have a pair of these over my regular socks, that's basically how I walk around september-april.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I bought a box of fancy British and European cheeses, with names of Comte AOC, Kaltbach Creamery, Berkswell and Wyfe of Bath (plus a free cheese for ordering three). Being delivered tomorrow.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Glottis posted:

I almost bought some but I'm astounded something that's molded 1000000x at a time costs so much. I expected them to be $20 max.

I have a pair of Sievis that I wear as much as possible around the yard, sorta like crocks, but with ESD protection and also steel toes and the like if you wish, around 60€

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is really cool, thanks for sharing! I love zen little backyard spaces like this :3:

For content, spent some stupid money and bought some new kitchen ware. Upgrading our ten year old Victorinox knives with a shun 8” chef knife and paring knife:

Also updating some of our 60+ year old Revere Ware with some All-Clad factory seconds I found on ebay from a seller that appears to be the same entity as the manufacturer uses for their yearly seconds sale. Bought a skillet, pot, and saute pan:

I'm in the same boat rn. Thinking of getting the Shun 6pc set or possibly just buying separately. How do you like the knives?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those All-Clad handles though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those All-Clad handles though
I have an (Emeril Lagasse) All-Clad stainless frying pan and learned that you aren't meant to hold them in your fingers but to rotate your hand underneath and lift it with your palm. Also something about it being designed to be held with a towel for more professional/active cooks but I think that's nonsense.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Re: Knives.

I finally bought a nice sharpener for our nice knives that I'm very happy with:

All of our knives are now fantastically, "watch-out" sharp. The initial sharpening took a while because I had neglected them for too long (and Kershaw stopped doing walk-in sharpening), but now I only run a slight hone + polish once a week for maintenance.
It's seriously great to have razor-sharp knives all the time. Made some tabbouleh last night and there's a lot of fine cutting involved. It'd be a mess with bad knives.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Re: Knives.

I finally bought a nice sharpener for our nice knives that I'm very happy with:

All of our knives are now fantastically, "watch-out" sharp. The initial sharpening took a while because I had neglected them for too long (and Kershaw stopped doing walk-in sharpening), but now I only run a slight hone + polish once a week for maintenance.
It's seriously great to have razor-sharp knives all the time. Made some tabbouleh last night and there's a lot of fine cutting involved. It'd be a mess with bad knives.

Please don't ruin your knives with a pull through sharpener. Hone them to keep them sharp and if they need a touch up, find a place that does it for a couple bucks a pop - there are trucks that will come to your door in many cities, tents at farmers markets, etc.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
They're sharp AF and they stay so. I fail to see how that's "ruining my knives" :confused:
it's also done at the correct angle one side at a time

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
:can:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I opened that can with a knife :smugdog:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I got you. This thing makes the best coffee.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have one of those and like it too! It's not like a normal pull through sharpener that just krinkles the poo poo out of your knife edge, it's got grinding wheels and a honing wheel instead. Certainly not as good as learning to use a stone or paying for a professional sharpening service, but keeps my mediocre set of knives reasonably sharp.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an (Emeril Lagasse) All-Clad stainless frying pan and learned that you aren't meant to hold them in your fingers but to rotate your hand underneath and lift it with your palm. Also something about it being designed to be held with a towel for more professional/active cooks but I think that's nonsense.

Metallic handles are so you can put your pan in an oven. Using a towel to hold them over fire is just a consequence of this choice of material since of course it will conduct heat more.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I use a bunch of Cutco Knives that a nervous teenager sold me in 2008 and have never sharpened any of them and I run them through the dishwasher twice a week and they slice up my food real goodlike

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Duck and Cover posted:

I got you. This thing makes the best coffee.

I'm about to press that grin off your face

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I bought a bunch of socks lately. My new goto brand is Darn Tough. All wool, made in Vermont, good stuff.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ReidRansom posted:

I bought a bunch of socks lately. My new goto brand is Darn Tough. All wool, made in Vermont, good stuff.

Same. All of my socks are darn tough and it such a quality of life upgrade.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
gently caress, I always wait WAY too long to buy new socks but when I finally do replace all my hole-riddled socks I feel like a goddamn billionaire

Buying new socks toDAY

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I bought a bunch of tolls between Annapolis and Boston, plus 3 tanks of gas. My boyfriend bought tickets to see Lettuce live in New Hampshire yesterday and I drove up to him. They played in Baltimore on Friday and I didn't know about it until Saturday, so an impromptu tiny weekend together was had. What an amazing show, I hope I can see them again.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Night Danger Moose posted:

I bought a bunch of tolls between Annapolis and Boston, plus 3 tanks of gas. My boyfriend bought tickets to see Lettuce live in New Hampshire yesterday and I drove up to him. They played in Baltimore on Friday and I didn't know about it until Saturday, so an impromptu tiny weekend together was had. What an amazing show, I hope I can see them again.

This reads like a math word problem

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Brother Tadger posted:

Slowly replacing all of my socks with Darn Tough. Their lifetime warrantly is legit too. I wore a hole in one of mine after 4 or 5 years (I wear them around the house all day without shoes), and they let me pick out a new pair real easily.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sportman posted:

(I wear them around the house all day without shoes),

Like a normal person

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Brother Tadger posted:

Same. I use them for everyday wear, running, and biking through gnarly stuff and they are all still like new.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a pair of these over my regular socks, that's basically how I walk around september-april.

You're supposed to wear them without socks inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
socks is feet with people inside