Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I love to sit and play games on my couch on my iPad, so I'm hoping it's great for couch PC gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
steam deck addresses almost every major issue I have with the win3 I’m jonesing hard for it to release

the only really questionable thing imo is not using a standard 2280 NVME

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

noob question, will you be able to install Win11 on this thing?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

noob question, will you be able to install Win11 on this thing?

Yeah, it's just a PC with the steam OS loaded by default. May not be ideal for use with windows but it should work fine and that's part of the pitch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does Win11 not have some weirdly specific CPU requirements though

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I thought the big issue was TPM modules and I think most computers made in the last like 5 years have one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it should work considering its zen 2 but i have no idea why you would do that when win 11 cuts performance on amd cpus so heavily

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

more just curious tbh

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There was word back in Summer that Steam was working with AMD to get it officially Win 11 compatible. It's a strong "maybe" at this point.

Really hope it does. Windows 10 isn't the best for small touch screens.

Stux posted:

it should work considering its zen 2 but i have no idea why you would do that when win 11 cuts performance on amd cpus so heavily

Oh dang, didn't know.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Heran Bago posted:

Really hope it does. Windows 10 isn't the best for small touch screens.

I’ve got Win 11 running on my win 3 and have some bad news about it on small touchscreens too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The thing has a mouse on it, and steam controller bindings are reasonably good for making windows usable with a gamepad. I don't think you'd ever want to use the touch screen to actually Use Windows on the steam deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I’ve got Win 11 running on my win 3 and have some bad news about it on small touchscreens too.

Oh no :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Just use Win 10. There's no reason to use Win 11 on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't used it yet but Aya Neo has a windows skin program that seems to emulate the steam deck experience a bit.

Seems like it could be a good option if you want to run windows.

Edit: I don't recommend running windows TBH. Like it works... but its far from ideal. Once you have things set up you don't really have any issues though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

I'm not a "is it here yet?" or hype person usually, but I am for the Deck. I've caught myself going "I'll wait on the Deck to buy/play that game" many times of late.

A moddable, portable console that runs PC games is apparently just what I need.

I stopped buying games on the switch if they’re also on PC specifically because I’ll have the deck for them, hopefully.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The United States posted:

Just use Win 10 Linux. There's no reason to use Windows 11 on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The only reason I'd want to use windows on it is because of FFXIV. I don't own the steam version and it is its own separate account system so I couldn't play it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't need the Windows UI to run particularly well, as long as I can get into Steam and Xbox then I'm good. I'm probably going to try Windows out of curiosity if nothing else, plus Game Pass would be very nice to have.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

The only reason I'd want to use windows on it is because of FFXIV. I don't own the steam version and it is its own separate account system so I couldn't play it.

FWIW, I played FFXIV quite a bit on Linux and it worked fine.

I’m PS5-only on it now, but that’s just because I’ve grown to prefer couch gaming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m mainly thinking windows for Destiny 2 unless they get the anti cheat stuff sorted.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Insanite posted:

FWIW, I played FFXIV quite a bit on Linux and it worked fine.

I’m PS5-only on it now, but that’s just because I’ve grown to prefer couch gaming.

OK that is good to know. I honestly hadn't investigated it yet because its pretty far out.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m mainly thinking windows for Destiny 2 unless they get the anti cheat stuff sorted.

I have to imagine they will since its a pretty big deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stux posted:

They already fixed all of the bugs that were hobbling AMD performance. Zen 2 and 3 now run faster on win 11 than win 10, though only slightly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av7D5YPpbow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
well thahts good news. now they just need to make the os good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

well thahts good news. now they just need to make the os good

Lol as if that’s gonna happen.

They’ve been trying since windows 7 at least.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

JuffoWup posted:

I forgot to add one other bit of news too. Apparently some reddit people on r/steamdeck are proclaiming their pre-orders moved up from q1 to december. Mine is unchanged with q2 though.

Sweet, this was the case for me. December is very soon!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3104663180636096966

Starting to see some movement anti-cheat wise now, ARK and M&B2 have opted into Battleyes Proton support

There's still a lot of games to go, and I doubt all of them will opt-in, but it's a start

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/3104663180636096966

Starting to see some movement anti-cheat wise now, ARK and M&B2 have opted into Battleyes Proton support

There's still a lot of games to go, and I doubt all of them will opt-in, but it's a start

Destiny 2 :pray:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Any news or rumors about when next month order forms start opening up? Mine still just says December.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Any news or rumors about when next month order forms start opening up? Mine still just says December.

Did they ever give a date for the first shipment besides December?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MarcusSA posted:

Did they ever give a date for the first shipment besides December?

Naw, but we’re closer today than when preorders went up, so thats why I’m asking!!!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
My guess is that the dates are still in flux considering hold ups with shipping containers and any other hold ups with tsmc among others. So I'm expecting people to not hear anything about being billed or being asked to fill in the final details for billing and shipping until december itself. Possibly mid to maybe even late december. Would love to be wrong, but that would be my expectation for wave one.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Valve is probably waiting for the boat with the first shipment to arrive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Azubah posted:

Valve is probably waiting for the boat with the first shipment to arrive.

They probably aren’t on boats. They are definitely being flown in like pretty much every other major electronic device.

They also might get drop shipped like the Apple devices are.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Please don't drop my Deck, Valve :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Might be a bit of a silly question but would buying something like CrossOver be a good idea for running windows games on this?

I know the Mac version works really well and I'm curious if it would be a good solution for the Deck?

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

MarcusSA posted:

Might be a bit of a silly question but would buying something like CrossOver be a good idea for running windows games on this?

I know the Mac version works really well and I'm curious if it would be a good solution for the Deck?

Crossover is pretty good, but you'll want to check that it runs the software you're looking to use it for. It's relatively cheap, but you can usually apply the same fixes they catalog for individual applications if you are willing to spend the time doing the research and mucking about with winetricks.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Valve has been working on an equivalent for a while called Proton, some of the CrossOver devs are involved as well.

You can see compatibility reports for games at https://www.protondb.com.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

Valve has been working on an equivalent for a while called Proton, some of the CrossOver devs are involved as well.

You can see compatibility reports for games at https://www.protondb.com.

Ok thanks but maybe my understanding was incorrect in that this was only for games that were on steam. So like my non steam copy of FFXIV wouldn’t be able to use this. Would be pretty awesome if I was incorrect though.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks but maybe my understanding was incorrect in that this was only for games that were on steam. So like my non steam copy of FFXIV wouldn’t be able to use this. Would be pretty awesome if I was incorrect though.

Often online games have other problems relating to anti-cheat. There's also https://lutris.net/ which is another way to get games running on Linux in a mostly user-friendly way. You could check to see if FFXIV works through Lutris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

You can add external games to your steam library and they'll use proton, but compatibility can be spottier than using something like Lutris, which has game specific profiles and tweaks.