Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Warbird posted:

Off the shelf Linux machine with wide support and a pretty small barrier to entry on the cost front would be my guess. While grabbing a cheap used router and tossing Tomato/OWRT/whatever on there could be done cheaper/better the process is hinky enough that I suspect people may not consider it by default. That and the Pi’s reputation as a “do all sorts of things” all in one solution. I’d be interested in hearing OP’s line of thinking, I could see it working if you use a dedicated AP and switch and the Pi purely as a router.

I already have a gigabit switch where the router would be set up at in the network. It would mostly be a range extender in the house for the downstairs. Where my current wifi has difficulty getting good signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

People who are new to the platform have no idea what the Pi is historically bad at, but do know what a router is. It's one of a relatively short list of "how can I learn about Thing" projects that don't depend on some non-computer hobby.

Warbird posted:

Off the shelf Linux machine with wide support and a pretty small barrier to entry on the cost front would be my guess.
As noted though, the parts where it has a single ethernet port and no external antennas seem like they should immediately disqualify it at a hardware level. I mean sure, you *can* do router-on-a-stick if you have a VLAN-capable switch but that's gone wall outside of newbie territory.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I already have a gigabit switch where the router would be set up at in the network. It would mostly be a range extender in the house for the downstairs. Where my current wifi has difficulty getting good signal.
If you just want to use it as an access point I'm pretty sure there's an OpenWRT build that will work just fine, but it'll be worse than basically any dedicated device.

I always recommend that if you're using multiple access points that they be aware of each other though. Don't just slap in multiple random devices, get a proper system designed for use with multiple bases that can handle handoff and coordinate channels appropriately.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

This can cause very unpredictable behavior with at least Windows clients where they can decide to switch over to the secondary based on a single slow response and they will stick there for a period of time meaning that you lose whatever your Pi-Hole or other special DNS configuration was providing.

Good thing that pihole is only useful on mobile devices

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

Good thing that pihole is only useful on mobile devices

even on mobile it's nebulous since there are public adblocking DNS providers you can use instead of janitoring your own

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

repiv posted:

even on mobile it's nebulous since there are public adblocking DNS providers you can use instead of janitoring your own

My pihole 0w is retired after one-too-many rebuilds on a card.

NextDNS has been working great, and paying a pittance fee per month is a better use of time I could use shitposting :cheers:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Raspberry Pi is fun for a project you tinker with, but in no way should you use it for something important in a set it and forget it fashion. You never know when the SD card will just get totally fuckered in a very specific way that isn't easy to notice. Something like everything working fine, except one program is running into the part of the SD card that is bad, so it just doesn't run. I had mine set up to connect to a VPN, and also had set up the IP tables or whatever to only connect to the internet through the VPN or to other machines on the LAN. Except, at some point the VPN got corrupted and wouldn't run at all anymore, and then the IPtables also got messed up so it was just connecting to the open internet and I didn't notice for a few weeks. If you want to mess around with GPIO or some other simple project, a Pi is fine. If the thing you want to use it for is something that would cause you to get pissed off and frustrated when it isn't working for whatever reason, buy something that specifically does the thing you want. Basically, if and when the pi breaks for no reason, and you think you will be able to say "Eh, that sucks, I'll check it out on the weekend", that's a great thing to use a Pi for. I don't think a router is that. And like people have said, there are plenty of options for routers out there that let you go crazy on customization.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Raspberry Pi is fun for a project you tinker with, but in no way should you use it for something important in a set it and forget it fashion. You never know when the SD card will just get totally fuckered in a very specific way that isn't easy to notice.

That's why i have been booting from usb disk since rpi1.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
If you have a fileserver in the house, you can also boot a pi off it, or at least move any disk intensive stuff to the fileserver to avoid wearing out the SD card.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MikusR posted:

That's why i have been booting from usb disk since rpi1.

This. To anyone using a pi to do pretty much anything, the second you have an unused drive lying around, buy a cheap enclosure/adapter and use that. SD cards suck.

Edit: or what Beowulfs_Ghost said.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Is a usb thumb drive more resilient than an sd card or does it need to be a usb HDD/SSD?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This. To anyone using a pi to do pretty much anything, the second you have an unused drive lying around, buy a cheap enclosure/adapter and use that. SD cards suck.
Possibly a stupid question but will an external drive work if it doesn't have a separate power connection, just usb? If so, what's the easiest way to clone my current setup onto the new drive?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pilchenstein posted:

Possibly a stupid question but will an external drive work if it doesn't have a separate power connection, just usb? If so, what's the easiest way to clone my current setup onto the new drive?

It depends on the drive, and on if you have other usb devices connected.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got my Zero W 2 today and it's pretty awesome, not going to lie.

Had a HELL of a time soldering headers on it though -- for whatever reason the solder just did NOT want to stick to the pads and I was terrified of overheating the board/components. Seemed to work in the end but phew.

Have a super nice wireless RaSCSI setup now. Not sure if I need to cool it with a fan but I guess it can't hurt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

Got my Zero W 2 today and it's pretty awesome, not going to lie.

Had a HELL of a time soldering headers on it though -- for whatever reason the solder just did NOT want to stick to the pads and I was terrified of overheating the board/components. Seemed to work in the end but phew.

Have a super nice wireless RaSCSI setup now. Not sure if I need to cool it with a fan but I guess it can't hurt.

Did you use some flux or flux core solder? Lead free stuff absolutely requires it whereas in the past you could get away without fluxing stuff up as much.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

VictualSquid posted:

It depends on the drive, and on if you have other usb devices connected.
All I know about the drive is it's a Seagate my brother was going to throw out but I have like, four different input devices connected to the pi so I'm guessing it's probably safer to wait until I have a drive with a power adapter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

priznat posted:

Did you use some flux or flux core solder? Lead free stuff absolutely requires it whereas in the past you could get away without fluxing stuff up as much.

I specifically used lead solder but I'm not sure if there's something about the Pi that would require an excess of flux?

I did flux the pads before I went in but I definitely thing I could have done more.

In any event, I think I need another ZeroW2 now. This one is doing god's work with RaSCSI on my sampler, but I just realized it can also emulate a SCSI Ethernet adapter and I now have huge dreams of getting my SE/30 "online".......

It's funny how I have a ton of Pi boards but it's not until the Zero that I actually started using them. I think having a tiny form factor and wireless makes these so much more adaptable for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

I specifically used lead solder but I'm not sure if there's something about the Pi that would require an excess of flux?

I did flux the pads before I went in but I definitely thing I could have done more.

Oh probably if you are mixing between lead and lead free (the board probably has lead free on the pads) it would need a higher iron temperature to melt the lead free. Could be just the added time let the lead free that was on the pads flow.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

blunt posted:

Is a usb thumb drive more resilient than an sd card or does it need to be a usb HDD/SSD?

Flash thumb drives are a better than sd cards for the scenario where you have power loss during writes, but no better for endurance.

I dunno though, I've had a pi running as a music box since the beginning of 2019. I've had power go out a decent number of times over that time, nothing crazy but a normal 3-5 times per year I guess. No sd card failure, the worst I've had was sometimes a really short power interruption leaves it wedged where it's powered but unresponsive so I've had to pull the plug, wait, and then boot.

Now the music box isn't a high-intensity application, and I'm sure the distro does a minimum of writing to the card when not absolutely needed. But it's not like sd cards are self-destruct devices.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hopefully the Pi5 will just have an m.2 slot on the bottom, assuming the SoC they use has any spare PCIe lanes

They've implemented NVMe boot already but it's of very limited use for now since PCIe is only exposed on compute modules

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The Raspberry Pi has now inspired an entire galaxy of little arm boards. If you need a board with M.2 for an SSD or a wifi module, they are out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The biggest problem with the glut of bespoke SBCs is trying to guess what will be supported a year or two from now :(

I spent so much money on raspberry pi killers over the years, only to have to scrounge for a current and supported OS a year or two later. Armbian does tick a lot of those boxes but I ended up deciding to just stick with the mainstream product from now on.

If there was a good, mass produced, non-discontinued Atom SBC that was widely available and competitively priced this would be a no brainer I think and now probably cue the dozens of replies posting products meeting the requirements I just listed, because I haven't been keeping up with SBCs

Apropos of nothing, my immediate little pet project is going to be getting a Zero W to boot from the network with NFSroot. Still need SD for wpa supplicant config and kernel/modules but presumably the rest is doable according to some googling. Piss poor performance from what I read, but for a static in-memory application it might be doable. I trust my Synology NFS to be available much more than I trust the longevity of most SD cards. I've just had AWFUL luck with SD cards lately, even when I buy from reputable or first-party sellers. Real answer is probably to just avoid Amazon entirely, but I'll take a little challenge exercise in lieu of common sense any day.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 9, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Martytoof posted:

If there was a good, mass produced, non-discontinued Atom SBC that was widely available and competitively priced this would be a no brainer I think

It's not gonna happen because being competitively priced enough to be "Pi cheap" isn't possible. The Pi has been able to do what it did by starting cheap enough that people bought them for no real reason. They were cheap enough for education to buy them. That cheapness let them scale and add more to the subsequent Pis -- but not a whole lot more. An atom costs more. Putting storage interfaces on your PCB cost more.

At $75-100 you're out of the education and "buy it and throw it in a drawer" range. So you aren't gonna get as much scale advantage as the Pi.

Also you're competing with old refurb PC hardware. Which I think is the thing that people who want to do stuff that's not in the Pi's wheelhouse should get. A Pi and a bunch of usb HD enclosures to make a really crappy NAS, or a $100 refurb biz box to make an actually decent NAS?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Klyith posted:

Flash thumb drives are a better than sd cards for the scenario where you have power loss during writes, but no better for endurance.

I dunno though, I've had a pi running as a music box since the beginning of 2019. I've had power go out a decent number of times over that time, nothing crazy but a normal 3-5 times per year I guess. No sd card failure, the worst I've had was sometimes a really short power interruption leaves it wedged where it's powered but unresponsive so I've had to pull the plug, wait, and then boot.

Now the music box isn't a high-intensity application, and I'm sure the distro does a minimum of writing to the card when not absolutely needed. But it's not like sd cards are self-destruct devices.

There are also high endurance SD cards designed for stuff like dashcams that aren't much more expensive than regular ones. I'm not aware of high endurance thumb drives, though.

Also, anything you run on a single machine has a chance of going down for all sorts of failure. If you truly don't want some service to go down, redundancy is the only answer as long as you can keep the data in sync.

If your service doesn't have any particular performance requirements, let's say Vaultwarden, you'd likely get better uptime from two Pi 3s with cheap SD cards than from a single badass enterprise server.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

But it's not like sd cards are self-destruct devices.
I mean they literally are (finite write endurance), and one of the other big issues is that it's virtually impossible to know whether you have a genuine card.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah there are so many fakes that look real these days. You don't know they are fake until you try to write up to their purported capacity and you start noticing earlier files going missing.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Martytoof posted:

Apropos of nothing, my immediate little pet project is going to be getting a Zero W to boot from the network with NFSroot. Still need SD for wpa supplicant config and kernel/modules but presumably the rest is doable according to some googling. Piss poor performance from what I read, but for a static in-memory application it might be doable.

I ended up working out a POE NFSroot system for a Zero W a few years back to manage and save footage from PiKrellCam and data to another computer and provide a live video stream. It's doable, but I had to kind of mix-and-match different steps from a couple different guides to get it working in my setup. I just received a Zero 2 the other day, and have been considering seeing if it's any easier nowadays.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah there are so many fakes that look real these days. You don't know they are fake until you try to write up to their purported capacity and you start noticing earlier files going missing.

For the problem of incorrect flash size, there's a tool - f3write.

For verifying it's flash of the type advertised? Nope!

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

The biggest problem with the glut of bespoke SBCs is trying to guess what will be supported a year or two from now :(

I spent so much money on raspberry pi killers over the years, only to have to scrounge for a current and supported OS a year or two later. Armbian does tick a lot of those boxes but I ended up deciding to just stick with the mainstream product from now on.

The Pi's biggest selling point really is just its market share. It may not be the most cutting edge, but if it can do something, someone has likely started writing a guide on how to do it.

quote:

Apropos of nothing, my immediate little pet project is going to be getting a Zero W to boot from the network with NFSroot. Still need SD for wpa supplicant config and kernel/modules but presumably the rest is doable according to some googling. Piss poor performance from what I read, but for a static in-memory application it might be doable. I trust my Synology NFS to be available much more than I trust the longevity of most SD cards. I've just had AWFUL luck with SD cards lately, even when I buy from reputable or first-party sellers. Real answer is probably to just avoid Amazon entirely, but I'll take a little challenge exercise in lieu of common sense any day.

I have a few 3B's that have been happily running the same SD cards for a couple years now by running the file system off a server. When all they do is read the kernel and a few configuration files, the size and write limits of a cheap SD card don't really matter.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is the RP zero W as a pihole? Would the wireless aspect have too much latency?

I see there are ways to give it ethernet, but I really would want a case for it, but I am not seeing much unless you have a 3D printer...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I've just had AWFUL luck with SD cards lately, even when I buy from reputable or first-party sellers.

Found your problem. Amazon doesn't distinguish between sellers when they restock returns or put stock on the shelves.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

evil_bunnY posted:

Found your problem. Amazon doesn't distinguish between sellers when they restock returns or put stock on the shelves.

Yeah I was looking at microphones last weekend and half of the reviews on a bunch of them were complaining that it was listed as new but was B stock or refurbs. I just started buying SD cards direct from manufacturer stores, it's more expensive sure but at least I have a better chance of actually getting the right capacity.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
go to microcenter, buy SD card there

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quick question -- I want to essentially build an Atari ST emulator box but don't want it to play ROMs or anything, I just want to be able to boot my Pi and get into a blank Atari TOS desktop as quickly/seamlessly as possible.

Simple enough to just install Raspbian and install Hatari package. Don't know if there's a best-practice way to get an app started on boot up seeing a desktop in between? It's honestly been forever since I used a GUI Linux but I think in my previous life this would have just been putting "/opt/whatever/hatari --flags"an xinitrc but I have to imagine there's a different way to accomplish this now.

Essentially a kiosk mode where it just launches Hatari without any user intervention. Aside from the Linux boot messages (that you can turn off bla bla) you're essentially booting into a fake Atari.

I'm still googling and I'm sure I'll figure this out but if there's a handy guide for this that I'm just not seeing I'm open to suggestions.

evil_bunnY posted:

For sure, I stopped using Amazon for small scale storage but I've still had Bestbuy cards die etc. At this point I'm just like "welp" and consider it a gamble no matter where I get my cards from :(

Ok Comboomer posted:

go to microcenter, buy SD card there

If that was an option :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

If that was an option :(

go to microcenter.com, buy SD card there

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I'm sure there are equivalent places here without resorting to cross-border shipping so I take your point, but how is this any different from buying an SD card at BestBuy, for example? Is the implication that one vets its cards and the other doesn't?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue is that Amazon's third party seller scheme lets them sell whatever stock shows up from anyone and if the label is the same it all gets tossed in one bin to be distributed as people buy them.

There's no proof that BestBuy does a better job but the thinking is that they only take stock from the legit manufacturer (eg, SanDisk).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Martytoof posted:

I mean I'm sure there are equivalent places here without resorting to cross-border shipping so I take your point, but how is this any different from buying an SD card at BestBuy, for example? Is the implication that one vets its cards and the other doesn't?

Nobody vets anything, but the question is how easy is it for fraudsters to slip fake product into the supply chain of whoever you're buying from.

On Amazon, it's really easy. Their 3rd party system means that Amazon's warehouses are partially stocked by 3rd parties. A lot of those 3rd party sellers are small operations, who may be fraudsters or may themselves be the original victims of fraud.

Microcenter and bestbuy are probably getting sd cards from sandisk or samsung or whoever. As is Amazon btw, if you buy a card and it's "sold and shipped" by amazon it's probably stocked by amazon directly from the manufacturer. It's not like Amazon is exclusively stocked by random fly-by-nights. But the way their system works, you can never be 100% sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry sorry sorry, no I gotcha. I don't mean to start a derail -- I 100% agree that Amazon is a bad place to source cards and have since stopped. I meant more in that I have had non-insignificant number of premature failures from Bestbuy sourced cards as well, so at this point I'm just throwing my hands up and considering it a consumable. Definitely didn't mean to go down a rabbit hole of defending Amazon's sourcing practices vs big box :)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
TBQH I have no idea if bestbuy is actually any better than amazon, supply chain wise.

Also for premature failure it's likely not a counterfeit, just crappy cards. If someone sells a counterfeit it's gonna have 4gb on a 64gb card or whatever. If you're writing to sd cards heavily you should get the higher end ones, iirc the difference in endurance between the cheapest and "pro" types is big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Klyith posted:

If someone sells a counterfeit it's gonna have 4gb on a 64gb card or whatever.

No, not true. Counterfeits are basically impossible to spot (in many cases) without ripping them apart and inspecting the die itself.

Some of them will even work fine for years, probably, there's just no QA or process control.