Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Does anyone have any good recommendations for campaigns for kids (specifically 8-9 year olds). I got my son the Essentials box since he seemed interested in it, and we're a good way through Dragon of Icespire Peak. That's been totally fine for him, I'll tweak a rule here or there if things get too complicated, but overall he's been able to handle it (and come up with some pretty creative solutions to problems on top of that).

He wants to get a couple of friends involved so he can play it with a proper party (we're using the sidekick system right now). I don't want to go for specifically kiddie themes, a big part of the attraction is cool environments and monsters and things like that, but anything particularly dark or super violent might be too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

enki42 posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for campaigns for kids (specifically 8-9 year olds). I got my son the Essentials box since he seemed interested in it, and we're a good way through Dragon of Icespire Peak. That's been totally fine for him, I'll tweak a rule here or there if things get too complicated, but overall he's been able to handle it (and come up with some pretty creative solutions to problems on top of that).

He wants to get a couple of friends involved so he can play it with a proper party (we're using the sidekick system right now). I don't want to go for specifically kiddie themes, a big part of the attraction is cool environments and monsters and things like that, but anything particularly dark or super violent might be too much.

I'm a few months into playing D&D with my kids (party of four, aged 11-13). Like you, we started with the Essentials Kit, which has hits and misses. By most accounts it sounds like the "Starter Kit" comes with a better introductory campaign. We are currently working through Candlekeep Mysteries.

Candlekeep has been.. fine? There's one scenario in the book for each player level from 1 to 17 - but I haven't had much difficulty adapting difficulty as we go. I think we've run about half the scenarios and they've gone pretty well, but we're running out of ones that I think will work (at least with my kids). Nothing super inappropriate, but just themes I didn't think my kids would go for. For the last couple sessions, I've pulled bits and bobs I liked from different scenarios.. but I'll need to be finding new material soon. I'm thinking maybe "Tales from the Yawning Portal" next; I like being able to grab different material and adapt it a bit to fit with the party's overall story. I haven't found much in the way of structured campaign source material that looks like it'll work for me.

Assuming you're new to D&D (as I am), I can recommend a couple bits that have made our sessions better:
1. A dry erase grid board (this is the one we use and it's good, but I'm sure there's cheaper options and you don't need one nearly so big)
2. Pathfinder Bestiary Pawn Box (price here looks bad - I don't think I paid that much - but this is a great box with a million things in it)

I wasn't sure we'd like the "tactical grid" play, but it made our games a lot more interesting. You do a lot of combat in D&D, and having a grid and monster standee things makes combat feel less repetitive and makes it easy to introduce different ideas and tactics. The kids have their own miniatures, and I've bought minis for a few key monsters (like Cryovain at the end of Dragons of Icespire Peak, or recently a Zombie Beholder for a big fight). They're actually not abusively priced, and make the sessions more immersive (though the cardboard standees are great too). We've painted some of them (with my wife's cheap acrylic paints) and it's actually pretty fun, assuming you can ignore the voice in your head calling you a turbo-nerd. I have a bunch of old pieces from boardgames (cubes and meeples and what not), and that's handy for representing status effects or more zombies or whatever.

I haven't got a Monster Manual, and haven't really felt much pinch from that - any of the stat blocks I've needed have been available online. But you will need a Player's Handbook pretty soon in. The section in the Essentials kit runs out, and is naturally missing a lot of classes and spells and what not; and most other stuff will assume you have this. I've bought a few other products - decks of cards, tokens and bits, and some puzzle supplements online (my kids really like puzzles). Pretty much all disappointment on that front; even the high rated stuff on the online sites is often really low quality and feels un-playtested.

In particular I'd be happy to know of a puzzle supplement - something with some fun handouts hopefully - that someone can recommend.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 8, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Shelvocke posted:

We rolled stats, and I got very lucky (18, 17, 16, 16, 13, 8) which makes me think I might drown in the first encounter - it's a shipwreck, and the DM forewarned us that PC death isn't impossible with bad rolls.

Roll stats but if you roll good you die is just a long form version of using the array.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
If you roll stats have everyone roll and then choose on of those sets for the entire group. Rolling your own stats is fun until you get 9 9 8 13 5 5.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

denimgorilla posted:

If you roll stats have everyone roll and then choose on of those sets for the entire group. Rolling your own stats is fun until you get 9 9 8 13 5 5.

This is how we did it for my current campaign. Everyone gets to roll, we added up the total of each person's roll, then we took the two on the middle and said you could pick either array. I liked it, seems to have worked well. Gives people a chance to roll, has some variety, gives choices, and is balanced for the party.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

This is how we did it for my current campaign. Everyone gets to roll, we added up the total of each person's roll, then we took the two on the middle and said you could pick either array. I liked it, seems to have worked well. Gives people a chance to roll, has some variety, gives choices, and is balanced for the party.

Definitely stealing this plan for next time. I like rolling vs. standard array but don't like the variance and this really seems to hit the sweet spot.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

jmzero posted:

I'm a few months into playing D&D with my kids (party of four, aged 11-13). Like you, we started with the Essentials Kit, which has hits and misses. By most accounts it sounds like the "Starter Kit" comes with a better introductory campaign. We are currently working through Candlekeep Mysteries.

Candlekeep has been.. fine? There's one scenario in the book for each player level from 1 to 17 - but I haven't had much difficulty adapting difficulty as we go. I think we've run about half the scenarios and they've gone pretty well, but we're running out of ones that I think will work (at least with my kids). Nothing super inappropriate, but just themes I didn't think my kids would go for. For the last couple sessions, I've pulled bits and bobs I liked from different scenarios.. but I'll need to be finding new material soon. I'm thinking maybe "Tales from the Yawning Portal" next; I like being able to grab different material and adapt it a bit to fit with the party's overall story. I haven't found much in the way of structured campaign source material that looks like it'll work for me.

Assuming you're new to D&D (as I am), I can recommend a couple bits that have made our sessions better:
1. A dry erase grid board (this is the one we use and it's good, but I'm sure there's cheaper options and you don't need one nearly so big)
2. Pathfinder Bestiary Pawn Box (price here looks bad - I don't think I paid that much - but this is a great box with a million things in it)

Thanks, this is all awesome!

quote:

I wasn't sure we'd like the "tactical grid" play, but it made our games a lot more interesting. You do a lot of combat in D&D, and having a grid and monster standee things makes combat feel less repetitive and makes it easy to introduce different ideas and tactics. The kids have their own miniatures, and I've bought minis for a few key monsters (like Cryovain at the end of Dragons of Icespire Peak, or recently a Zombie Beholder for a big fight). They're actually not abusively priced, and make the sessions more immersive (though the cardboard standees are great too). We've painted some of them (with my wife's cheap acrylic paints) and it's actually pretty fun, assuming you can ignore the voice in your head calling you a turbo-nerd. I have a bunch of old pieces from boardgames (cubes and meeples and what not), and that's handy for representing status effects or more zombies or whatever.

Yeah, the minis is what drew my son in in a game store in the first place, so that's an obvious next step. Painting is unfortunately right out for me (I have a pretty bad hand tremor), but might be a good craft activity for my son.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I'd recommend ghosts of salt marsh over yawning portal, especially for a younger crew. Yawning portal is old adventures brought to 5th, and a lot of them really slow their age imo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Azathoth posted:

Definitely stealing this plan for next time. I like rolling vs. standard array but don't like the variance and this really seems to hit the sweet spot.

In my current game we had everyone roll 3d6+1d4, drop lowest. We also rolled 7 times and dropped the lowest stat. From there we all decided which were the top 3 arrays, and you got to pick from them. If you chose the top array you just got the stats. If you chose the second array you got stats + skill feat, if you chose the third array you got stats + regular feat. It made for a lot of fun variance among characters.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Beast Pussy posted:

I'd recommend ghosts of salt marsh over yawning portal, especially for a younger crew. Yawning portal is old adventures brought to 5th, and a lot of them really slow their age imo.

That is what Ghosts of Saltmarsh does also! They're all adventures from previous editions.

I will say I like Saltmarsh better than Yawning Portal and they are very easy to tie together into a campaign where Yawning Portal is definitely NOT easy, having done both. And outside Sunless Citadel (and technically White Plume Mountain, which might be the best adventure ever) the Saltmarsh adventures are better than Yawning Portals as well.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, for new players, I would not recommend Tales from the Yawning Portal for anything beyond Sunless Citadel. It's a combat heavy levels 1 to 3 adventure if folks want an alternative to Lost Mine of Phandelver.

It's definitely old school but if your kids like miniatures combat games, it might be an easier way to ease them in to RP, since they can just murderhobo their way through most of it if they want, but since almost everything in the dungeon can talk, there's some real good opportunities to do creative bypasses of combat.

And it gives you ways to bring along NPC characters if your players need help or info. Meepo is an absolute godsend in terms of giving the players someone to ask questions to (and Erky is great as a healer on the last parts where things might get difficult).

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Meepo is perfect for a lesson of "not all the monsters are bad, if you just try to talk to them" and if you play up the Hobgoblins as the REAL bad guys it can turn much of the first floor into a diplomacy mission between two old neighbors turned enemies the players can now meditate - a different kind of heroics.

drat Citadel is so good.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Depending on the kids preferences, I would also consider editing the ending of Sunless Citadel
not being able to save any of the people you were asked to might be too much of a bummer for younger players

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some variant rules I am considering:

1. 4e (?) style skill challenges. Sometimes during an adventure people do group things, like sailing a boat. To keep things moving and also have variation in the result; there's a sequence of basically CYOA type encounters where the players are asked to use a skill, they can pick one skill to attempt to reasonably solve the problem but for the rest of that challenge can't use it again. Other players can attempt to help but instead of giving advantage they have to pass a DC 10 check to either raise or lower the DC by 2 based on success or failure in the help check. Typically I think the aim is to have a total of six challenges and if there's more failures than successes there's some sort of consequence and vice versa, if there's more successes than failures there's a reward. So in the "operating a sail boat" example, failing to operate the boat results in arriving to your destination late; or perhaps lost and at the wrong destination; or perhaps the boat is damaged and can't be used again until repaired. Nothing too serious but there's stakes.

2. I like the idea that weapons and armor are things you actually need to take off, maintain and take care of. Something like if you wear armor, and you take damage you can choose to have the armor take the damage instead, and the armor gets a "Damage Point" and with three damage points its broken and needs to be repaired by a smith; but 1 damage point can be removed per long rest. Similarly for weapons, you can choose to add on an additional damage die to your attack and damage roll to accumulate one wear and tear point and you need to use like a sharpening stone to restore that point. Maybe each +1 to your item gives an additional endurance point etc? I mainly intend this for melee classes but maybe something similar can be done for casters but to my mind they kinda already have things they are supposedly doing during their long rest (praying, memorizing, meditating, etc) but maybe artificers can get something similar like an overload mechanic?

In particular I am thinking of adding this for a more lethal style of campaign where damage dice are doubled or similar, I haven't found the actual variant rule yet for speeding up combat, but assuming its a plain all damage and crit damage dice are doubled then it seems fair to me for the players to gain additional options/choices for handling it.

An alternative alternative for the armor thing is making it more granular depending on the type of equipment. So heavy armor get a flat 1/2 damage reduction; but medium and light armor maybe only get a die; from a 1d4 to 1d12 from leather armor to scalemail? This idea is inspired by the variant I saw about sacrificing a shield to absorb the damage from an attack.

Thoughts?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Some variant rules I am considering:

1. 4e (?) style skill challenges. Sometimes during an adventure people do group things, like sailing a boat. To keep things moving and also have variation in the result; there's a sequence of basically CYOA type encounters where the players are asked to use a skill, they can pick one skill to attempt to reasonably solve the problem but for the rest of that challenge can't use it again. Other players can attempt to help but instead of giving advantage they have to pass a DC 10 check to either raise or lower the DC by 2 based on success or failure in the help check. Typically I think the aim is to have a total of six challenges and if there's more failures than successes there's some sort of consequence and vice versa, if there's more successes than failures there's a reward. So in the "operating a sail boat" example, failing to operate the boat results in arriving to your destination late; or perhaps lost and at the wrong destination; or perhaps the boat is damaged and can't be used again until repaired. Nothing too serious but there's stakes.

2. I like the idea that weapons and armor are things you actually need to take off, maintain and take care of. Something like if you wear armor, and you take damage you can choose to have the armor take the damage instead, and the armor gets a "Damage Point" and with three damage points its broken and needs to be repaired by a smith; but 1 damage point can be removed per long rest. Similarly for weapons, you can choose to add on an additional damage die to your attack and damage roll to accumulate one wear and tear point and you need to use like a sharpening stone to restore that point. Maybe each +1 to your item gives an additional endurance point etc? I mainly intend this for melee classes but maybe something similar can be done for casters but to my mind they kinda already have things they are supposedly doing during their long rest (praying, memorizing, meditating, etc) but maybe artificers can get something similar like an overload mechanic?

In particular I am thinking of adding this for a more lethal style of campaign where damage dice are doubled or similar, I haven't found the actual variant rule yet for speeding up combat, but assuming its a plain all damage and crit damage dice are doubled then it seems fair to me for the players to gain additional options/choices for handling it.

An alternative alternative for the armor thing is making it more granular depending on the type of equipment. So heavy armor get a flat 1/2 damage reduction; but medium and light armor maybe only get a die; from a 1d4 to 1d12 from leather armor to scalemail? This idea is inspired by the variant I saw about sacrificing a shield to absorb the damage from an attack.

Thoughts?

1) yeah
2) weapon and armour maintenance actually sucks and nobody likes it
3) you dont need a rule. you can actually just half enemy health and double their damage without making any changes to the rules to get this desired effect. also look into a rule where critical hits do one maximized die(instead of 2d8, 1d8+8)
4) piece wise equipment is among the worst rules ever conceived and if you combine this with your proposed rule 2 you might actually make the worst mechanics in dnd history

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

Thanks - as usual I value the opinions here over "random guy at game store whose group sounds super lame" and "what I figured from looking at 3 pages" - so I'll look deeper at Salt Marsh.

Well, I'll look at getting it first anyway. The kids seem to have bitten on D&D pretty hard, so I might end up getting all this bloody stuff eventually.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Equipment maintenance tends to be something that DMs enjoy more than players do, so I'd suggest limiting the duration of the mechanic. Implement a weather effect for a session or two to explain why players suddenly need to worry about equipment damage, and make it clear that this is a wrinkle to change things up temporarily. A session or two will probably be plenty in terms of actually navigating the system - and if players end up loving that sort of thing then it can always be extended or modulated as weather changes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pog boyfriend posted:

2) weapon and armour maintenance actually sucks and nobody likes it

I like weapon maintenance as long as it's simple, not a chore and is oriented round bonuses rather than penalties. You could have pristine well maintained gear be +1, until you give (for a weapon) or receive (for armour) a critical, then you need to fix it up with a long rest.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I like weapon maintenance as long as it's simple, not a chore and is oriented round bonuses rather than penalties. You could have pristine well maintained gear be +1, until you give (for a weapon) or receive (for armour) a critical, then you need to fix it up with a long rest.

i am not sure if that qualifies as weapon/armour maintenance as i think about it but sure, yes, letting players perform an action for a simple bonus is good. the stuff nobody likes is armour/weapon degradation because it introduces a ton of bookkeeping and sometimes the monster breaks your sword/your arcane focus gets destroyed and now you dont get to play

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

Basically this is my intent; stuff added on to give you bonuses; and you lose those bonuses gradually until your next long rest; kind of like having per day resources for melee classes similar to a casters daily resources; and the "repairs" and such just happens during your long rest as relearning spells is for any caster.

To clarify my idea for accumulating "wear and tear" points is only if/when you actually use that bonus; you can choose not to avoid breaking your armor. Having it break at all is more because that's sorta what my current DM does and is what the other players is already used to and is more catered towards their specific expectations.

pog boyfriend posted:

i am not sure if that qualifies as weapon/armour maintenance as i think about it but sure, yes, letting players perform an action for a simple bonus is good. the stuff nobody likes is armour/weapon degradation because it introduces a ton of bookkeeping and sometimes the monster breaks your sword/your arcane focus gets destroyed and now you dont get to play

Don't players always have spares? :confused:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

jmzero posted:

Thanks - as usual I value the opinions here over "random guy at game store whose group sounds super lame" and "what I figured from looking at 3 pages" - so I'll look deeper at Salt Marsh.

Well, I'll look at getting it first anyway. The kids seem to have bitten on D&D pretty hard, so I might end up getting all this bloody stuff eventually.

My guess is Saltmarsh might be an easy sell for a lot of kids because you can at least potentially present it in a very yarrrrrr pirates way.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't players always have spares? :confused:

it seems like a good idea but the problem is the wizard gets stronger by getting new spells, the fighter gets stronger by getting a new spear. if the spear can break it takes away from the power of the fighter. if you are willing to attack spellcaster focuses or have people destroy spellbooks or whatever it might be fair but usually these mechanics just penalize martials and nothing else

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Roll a d20 at the start of every day to see whether you remember your spells

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pog boyfriend posted:

it seems like a good idea but the problem is the wizard gets stronger by getting new spells, the fighter gets stronger by getting a new spear. if the spear can break it takes away from the power of the fighter. if you are willing to attack spellcaster focuses or have people destroy spellbooks or whatever it might be fair but usually these mechanics just penalize martials and nothing else

Maybe there's a difference in our experiences here but in all of my games the martials have a literally barracks full of interesting magic items and weapons they essentially never use. And generally there's usually not a large difference in power between all of the magic weapons I've seen. So to me a martial having one weapon break during a dungeon crawl and has to break out the +1 Ice Sword of 2d6 Slashing +1d4 Cold damage is not really in my experience a huge step down. Having to do away with a weapon for a few in game days while its being repaired at the local Artificer while they pull out and experiment with a different weapon seems like good design to me because it incentivizes you to try different weapons more often.

Additionally as I already said, in my suggested system you only tick off a "Endurance" box (or tick down) if you use the additional optional variant bonus. You can always just decide not to use it if its important to retain control of your weapon; and outside of some very specific set of circumstances like you're facing a Rust Monster or a NPC enemy who specializes in damaging weapons there wasn't any suggestions for there to be weapon degradation by any other means.

The idea basically is your choosing to use the weapons improperly to try to get extra performance out of them; and that extra performance recharges on a long rest (maybe also a short rest, like 1 point per short rest, entirely on a long rest, etc) similar to a caster's resources. I disagree that this penalizes martials, to my eye as someone who played martials and always felt bored with my lack of options this feels like not only a buff but more Player Choice(tm); because I am being given additional resources.

The wizard basically already has these mechanics, whenever they're casting spells which also recharge on a long rest or sometimes a short rest. Like to make it more equivilent I could have it you are damaging your spellcasting focus to cast a spell with a metamagic effect like Empower but do casters really need more bonuses?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
If I'm a monk or a barbarian, can I sacrifice ribs to get the same effect? Can I shine my Soul Knife's psi blades to gain the bonus?

I'd ask your players, especially the ones who fight in melee in armor, how they feel about it. I'd honestly be surprised if your group "likes it" and isn't just more "used to it."

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

evenworse username posted:

My guess is Saltmarsh might be an easy sell for a lot of kids because you can at least potentially present it in a very yarrrrrr pirates way.

This made my group very, very disappointed with Saltmarsh when we learned there wasn't going to be much yohoho.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I ride bikes all day posted:

If I'm a monk or a barbarian, can I sacrifice ribs to get the same effect? Can I shine my Soul Knife's psi blades to gain the bonus?

I'd ask your players, especially the ones who fight in melee in armor, how they feel about it. I'd honestly be surprised if your group "likes it" and isn't just more "used to it."

i mean my system could just also be wear and tear, you pulled a tendon after that awesome kick so you need to favour it, you strained a lobe when that mind flayer punctured your tower of iron will so you aren't in tiptop mental shape anymore. if your players are into it it's a low key way to depict general adventuring wear and tear.

alternatively, you could spend the +1 to get or negate a critical - that's actually more fun, like you damage your gear but get a result. it's quite powerful, that would probably warrant having it be +0/-1 rather than +1/+0, but powerful is fun so either could work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I ride bikes all day posted:

I mean this really goes without saying, of course if there's any variation or homebrew I would suggest it first, "Does anyone have any objections to adopting these variant rules?" My expectation though is there's no complaints. The only complaint I expect is one of them saying "That's busted you shouldn't use that rule its too good" based on what I know of them. Or negotiation and feedback and I modified it based on what the players would be fine or interested in.

As for Soulknife/Monk; well first, Monks can use weapons, spears, whips, staffs etc. But if I had to off the top of my head think of something specific to a Monk, maybe you can punch something extra hard at the risk of injuring your hands and if you accumulate too much damage you can't punch until healed via lesser restoration or equivilent, like the Regeneration spell. In fact amusingly having a ring of regeneration would make the Monk busted with this variant rule and I'm fine with that. There's options I think that may make it negotiable, like losing proficiency bonus to attacks while "Injured" or you're forced to switch to your feet/kicking attacks, or maybe you just take something like 1d4 damage to yourself when punching with an injured hand like you're a Baki character. But this is "off the top of my head", if I spent like five minutes on it I imagine I can think of a better option, but I think there's definitely a "metal" aspect where punching an enemy so hard you break your hand adds a certain level of spice to things.

The UA version of Soulknife already had that ability, you had your psionic talent die which my sorceror was grandfathered in as still having for some of her abilities. You roll max and your talent die drops down 1 dice size; you roll a 1 and it goes back up 1; and you can only restore the die on a long rest. I liked that ability and it upset me the official version doesn't have the talent die aspect and made them mechanically not boring.

Which is an alternative as originally I had the Psionic Talent Die in mind when thinking of these variant rules; like for example with a Sword, you roll a die and if you roll max the die size goes down and you tick off one endurance box; but otherwise you can use it as however often you want without losing endurance.

I'd ultimately cater this according to how often I aim for combat encounters to happen; my current DM approximately has 1 encounter per "adventuring day" which can be a week in in game time or it can be 1 hour and my initial framework assumed that same sort of encounter math. If I was chaining encounters the bonus would be retinkered to not be used up basically immediately.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

please knock Mom! posted:

Roll a d20 at the start of every day to see whether you remember your spells

you got shitfaced at the inn last night, every spell you cast is now one level lower. no cantrips until your hangover wears off

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Azathoth posted:

you got shitfaced at the inn last night, every spell you cast is now one level lower. no cantrips until your hangover wears off

I think you can spice this up to be a lot more fun if you roll on the Wild Magic table every time you cast a spell instead. :D

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think you can spice this up to be a lot more fun if you roll on the Wild Magic table every time you cast a spell instead. :D

drink idea: an ale made with magical hops that after being consumed causes hiccups for 1d4 hours
drink idea 2: a mead made from enchanted honey that for the next 8 hours after consumption makes the imbiber roll on the wild magic table

the adventure for the day is to make sure that the druid survives the night

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Azathoth posted:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pictured here, a shaving accident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXdrDNGte1E

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

DourCricket posted:

That is what Ghosts of Saltmarsh does also! They're all adventures from previous editions.

I had no idea. I ran a couple from yawning portal for our group, and the salt marsh campaign was run by someone else. So my opinion might be entirely based on the difficulty between running and playing it.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd ultimately cater this according to how often I aim for combat encounters to happen; my current DM approximately has 1 encounter per "adventuring day" which can be a week in in game time or it can be 1 hour and my initial framework assumed that same sort of encounter math. If I was chaining encounters the bonus would be retinkered to not be used up basically immediately.

Sounds like you’ve thought a fair bit about it. I don’t think I would care for the extra overhead, but I’m not in your group. Have fun.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

bare bottom pancakes posted:

This made my group very, very disappointed with Saltmarsh when we learned there wasn't going to be much yohoho.

I was hesitant to run it specifically because I DIDN'T want to run a pirate adventure - the trick here is to give your players a ship after the completion of the first adventure (it makes sense depending on how they handle the end of that adventure) and then throw in lots of side stuff for the ship to do, and have Saltmarsh/The Crown name them "privateers" if they want to still be good guys but also pirates. I believe there's also optional rules for ship battles/boarding... I didn't do any of that but the players loved having their own ship and crew. There are also several shipwrecks and random sea encounters I did run that went down VERY well with my group, shipwrecks especially.

Beast Pussy posted:

I had no idea. I ran a couple from yawning portal for our group, and the salt marsh campaign was run by someone else. So my opinion might be entirely based on the difficulty between running and playing it.

Probably because they're just better adventures lol

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 9, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Forge of Fury Session 2: we thought we were on the right end of a Wolfenstein-style infiltration, turns out we're on the wrong end of Dwarf Fortress. One of our party is dead or worse (GM didn't tell us the final death saving throw or if the player's rolling a new character) and we're hiding in the woods just over the ridge a couple of hundred yards from the trail because we didn't have the strength to run further, hoping the orcs aren't going to come looking. If you've ever made the mistake of digging into an anthill, it was that with orcs.

The bad part was probably when I cast Fog Cloud to cover our retreat and people thought we might be able to actually win the fight and so waffled long enough for even more folks to show up than the ones we'd already alerted. This officially going down as Bad Decisions Dungeon, and we were all within single digits of a TPK multiple times.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I had a similar experience with the party debating so much that I almost died. We got cornered in a swamp by two kelpies (I assume that's what they were, we never identified them). One of them charmed my horse and drowned it, and I had to go back and tell everyone else (I had gone ahead because I'm a brave and reckless paladin). The rest of the party made several attempts to communicate and these things just keep casting charm spells and the party is like "what if they're messengers? what if they're envoys? What do they want?!"

And then I got charmed/paralyzed myself and nearly drowned in the swamp, and the party only decided to go all out when one of the monsters bit someone.

I made an impulsive and reckless character specifically to force myself to not debate the right course of action endlessly and I've nearly died three times and it's been great.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

denimgorilla posted:

My group rolls two arrays of 4d6k1, takes the best array. I have gotten hosed with this (8,8,10,12,13,16) and it has also worked great (8,13,14,14,15,18).

My ranger with the first set of stats died and I rolled up a Harengon Bladesinger named Solgar Von Floppenhoppen with 18 INT , 18 DEX, 11 CON, 8 CHA, 8 WIS, 8 STR. He's going to be extremely blunt and annoying (both in terms of mechanics and personality) and with the tough feat at level 4, extremely unkillable. With that stat array he may have had a hard time surviving, but my ranger was level 7 so my replacement also starts at level 7. He's going to take the Resilient feat at level 8 so he gets prof in CON saves and then he'll never die. Throw on False Life every day and he'll be rocking 90HP and 20AC at level 8.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I want to play a Kenku alchemist named Muffled Explosion but have not developed any of the character beyond that.