Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Ha! I still remember two words of Icelandic!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh god I have another one: when you purchase an app and then it moves to a subscription format and won’t let you access the features you paid for unless you subscribe :mad:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I put a line through my sevens until my most recent manufacturing job, where everybody universally misread it as a two. "How can this be pallet 5 of 2???"

This phenomenon has not happened before or since, so I still wonder if they were just doing the most pointless gaslighting ever.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you are making out with a guy who shaved recently, but its since come back juuuust enough that the stubble is like kissing a faceful of needles. I just wanted to make out, not just my face sandpapered off :(

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

cinni posted:

When you are making out with a guy who shaved recently, but its since come back juuuust enough that the stubble is like kissing a faceful of needles. I just wanted to make out, not just my face sandpapered off :(

Free exfoliation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah stand aside for those of us who DO want our faces sandpapered off

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Pet peeve: people who complain about/blame daylight saving time for anything beyond maybe the day it takes effect. First off, it's one measly hour. I can see how that might make you tired if you really missed an hour of sleep on the given day. But the next day? For the entire week afterward that I've heard people complain about it? Secondly, it takes place on a Sunday morning, so why did you even "lose" (or "gain") an hour of sleep unless you go to church or work on Sunday morning?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you do something at 5 PM that requires daylight and it's now dark at 5 PM, you lost that something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The sun is barely over the horizon when I get to work, and it's in it's last hour when I get home from work.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm more talking about the people who will gently caress something up on, like, Thursday this week and go, "loving DST got me messed up this week, man." Dude. It was one hour, five days ago. Not much different at that point in my book from blaming it on a full moon or Mercury being in retrograde or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All my problems are actually caused by invisible gremlins.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

The sun is barely over the horizon when I get to work, and it's in it's last hour when I get home from work.

Lucky, on my way to work the sun's right in my eyes where it can't be blocked by a visor & sunglasses barely help :(

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gort posted:

If you do something at 5 PM that requires daylight and it's now dark at 5 PM, you lost that something.

I'm currently working overnights. I'm so excited to get to work in the dark and go home in the dark. This definitely won't gently caress with me at all. No sir. Just great.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Back when I had to transit to the office, I actually really liked winter when it'd be dark leaving and getting home. It made me feel like I was working really hard, like i'd done a 12 hour shift when really it was the normal 8

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad these edge cases totally refute my pet peeve about the dullards in my 8-5 M-F cube farm office job blaming their mistake at the copy machine this Friday on how DST this past Sunday messed them up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think you people are making up this concept of "sunlight in winter".

I've never seen it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm currently working overnights. I'm so excited to get to work in the dark and go home in the dark. This definitely won't gently caress with me at all. No sir. Just great.

I work early mornings and it’s kickass to not have the sun up at 9pm

Also the sun comes up earlier under winter time. The phenomenon you’re experiencing isn’t DST being over, it’s that winter days are shorter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Grown rear end men who pronounce "wolf" as "woof"

My parents pronounce lawn as lond, like "The lond needs to mowed"

I hate it

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Having to work 17 hours instead of 16 because DST ends during your shift is hell.

Improbable Lobster posted:

My parents pronounce lawn as lond, like "The lond needs to mowed"

"Melk" "Pellow"

These are weird because they seem to be totally independent of region/accents, sometimes with people within the same household pronouncing them differently.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pretty much my entire family pronounces Whataburger (whose ads emphasize their name as What - A - Burger) as "Werderberger"

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The worst is when you demonstrate the different pronunciations side by side and they are just " you are saying the same thing". No, I am not. I am standing right here and I can hear myself. Again, this is not a regional or accent thing, we grew up in the same house, you stupid rear end in a top hat. Shut up and listen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

The worst is when you demonstrate the different pronunciations side by side and they are just " you are saying the same thing". No, I am not. I am standing right here and I can hear myself. Again, this is not a regional or accent thing, we grew up in the same house, you stupid rear end in a top hat. Shut up and listen.

At least one goon will always double down that there is no difference in english between voiced and unvoiced "th" sounds if you mention it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's kind of like those people who inadvertently, unknowingly tune into something in standard definition on their HD TV and sit there watching it all stretched out to 16:9 and grainy and swear that they can't tell that anything is different and act like you're some kind of precious aesthete for insisting otherwise. :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At least one goon will always double down that there is no difference in english between voiced and unvoiced "th" sounds if you mention it.

That makes me shake with anger

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

That's kind of like those people who inadvertently, unknowingly tune into something in standard definition on their HD TV and sit there watching it all stretched out to 16:9 and grainy and swear that they can't tell that anything is different and act like you're some kind of precious aesthete for insisting otherwise. :argh:

I don't understand those people. How can they not tell that everyone and everything onscreen has completely hosed up proportions?? They must have legit problems with either their vision or their brains (seriously, some sort of neurological issue).

I hate people who complain about "black bars" covering the image when the aspect ratio is correct, because that I just chalk up to them being dumb. How can you not tell that nothing in the image is being covered up, but actually, instead, now you can see even more of the image than you would at 4:3?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nonsense, there's black bars so they must be cropping off those parts of the screen to make it look more like a movie theater! Who knows what I'm missing down there or up there?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rabbit Hill posted:

I don't understand those people. How can they not tell that everyone and everything onscreen has completely hosed up proportions?? They must have legit problems with either their vision or their brains (seriously, some sort of neurological issue).

I hate people who complain about "black bars" covering the image when the aspect ratio is correct, because that I just chalk up to them being dumb. How can you not tell that nothing in the image is being covered up, but actually, instead, now you can see even more of the image than you would at 4:3?

These people don't actually care about preserving the proper aspect ratio, because they bought a big TV and they want to use all of it. They're not getting their money's worth if half of it is covered in black space.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I am have a speech impediment that prevents me from saying the dental fricative sounds, and even I can still tell the difference between them.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

FFT posted:

Pretty much my entire family pronounces Whataburger (whose ads emphasize their name as What - A - Burger) as "Werderberger"

My wife's friend in college, who was from Texas, constantly talked about Whataburger because she worked there as a kid.

She pronounced it "Waterburger". I thought there was a chain called "Water Burger" for decades until I ended up visiting Texas and found out that the real name makes way more sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
People in Kansas pronounce "burger" as "booger" that drove me nuts. I'm not picking up boogers at McDonald's

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you come up with a good/new idea thats beneficial to an organization', but since YOU came up with it, YOU get to put it into action and figure it out!

I'm not even an employee, I'm a client!! Pay me first bitch!!!

cinni has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Nov 10, 2021

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

People in Kansas pronounce "burger" as "booger" that drove me nuts. I'm not picking up boogers at McDonald's

I have lived in Kansas almost my entire life and I've never heard this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nostradingus posted:

I have lived in Kansas almost my entire life and I've never heard this

Maybe I was getting influence from Oklahoma, as I worked with a ton of people in the 9 years I lived in Wichita who did :iiam:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Why would there be "black bars" when it's in widescreen? Are you somehow talking to people who are still using CRTs? The black bars are when you watch a 4:3 show on a widescreen TV and, obviously, there's nothing on either edge of the screen, right? So some people will set it to stretch or zoom to 16:9 to "get rid of the black bars"?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

Why would there be "black bars" when it's in widescreen?
Lots of movies aren't in 16:9 but are in even wider aspect ratios (like 2.39:1).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My Pet Peeve is that Lowtax is dead and I can't think of a good quip about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tiggum posted:

Why would there be "black bars" when it's in widescreen? Are you somehow talking to people who are still using CRTs? The black bars are when you watch a 4:3 show on a widescreen TV and, obviously, there's nothing on either edge of the screen, right? So some people will set it to stretch or zoom to 16:9 to "get rid of the black bars"?

Basically all TV shows made before the rise of flat screens in the mid 2000s are in 4:3.

That's a lot of TV to stretch out awkwardly.

Also a bunch of movies are a bit wider than 16:9.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
4:3 was the aspect ratio of cinema before televisions came onto the market, or technically slightly wider than that once they reworked things to fit sound onto the film strip.

For all of like five seconds, film and television were in harmony.

Then in the fifties, film studios went wide to differentiate their product from television. They ended up mostly 1.85:1 that is still common today today, but it’s not uncommon for films to go as wide as 2.4:1. Televisions and television cameras could not follow because the broadcast standard was fixed and besides, picture tubes and vidicon tubes become less practical the further they deviate from a circle or its inscribed square.

16:9 (1.78:1), meanwhile is a compromise ratio that has always been bad.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My Pet Peeve is that Lowtax is dead and I can't think of a good quip about it.

And this is how I found out that Lowtax is dead.

e: it’s probably kinda fitting in a really weird way tbh.

Helith has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Nov 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The escalator at the train station nearest to my workplace goes up in the morning when I arrive and need to go down, but it goes down in the evening when I'm leaving and need to go up.