Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, that logic worked for Sonic the Hedgehog, right?

R-right...?

Pokemon makes most of its money selling to literal children and more casual people nostalgic for childhood memories. The core of the games is solid for those audiences. The core of Sonic was always kinda lovely and didn't convert to 3D well, then took too long for them to realize that it was fine to keep making 2D ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a reasonable expectation that any given game will sell big on the strength of the brand, but I think if they took mainline game sales for granted, they'd have meddled more in Game Freak's operations. Aside from the deadlines, they've got remarkable autonomy.

The truth is that nobody knows why the franchise wasn't just a flash in the pan. Everybody trying to copy them has burned out, if they even got off the ground in the first place. Even Game Freak's other games are B-tier at best.

They are still allowed to act like a doujin company from the 90s, including all of the deficiencies of that model like weak production values and feature cuts, because their role in the machine is not to sell lots of games. Rather, it's to rejuvenate the brand periodically, so that the merch remains in demand.

BDSP is merch.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
My soon to be 7 year old daughter loves Pokemon. I want to get her a Pokemon game for Christmas but I'm not sure which one would be best (I've never played a Pokemon game). I figure we'll spend a lot of time playing together.

What's the best Pokemon game on Switch to play with my kid?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sonic is good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Charles Mansion posted:

My soon to be 7 year old daughter loves Pokemon. I want to get her a Pokemon game for Christmas but I'm not sure which one would be best (I've never played a Pokemon game). I figure we'll spend a lot of time playing together.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. Those sets of games have actual co-op, and they're fairly simplified, being a GameBoy map.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

yo some for real actual spoilers
There's an old couple somewhere that'll give you a thing if you have SwSh and/or LGPE save files in your system. The gifts are Jirachi for SwSh and Mew for LGPE

That's nifty.

Time to start a LGE game I guess

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Charles Mansion posted:

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee have a kind of drop-in co-op where with one copy a second player can run around with you and join you in battles and stuff but they can't pick up items and don't have their own team or anything so it's kind of impermanent but it's the most direct "playing together" the series has

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Charles Mansion posted:

Does she have friends who are also into it as well? And what were you hoping for more specifically about "playing together?" They are primarily singleplayer games with a competitive multiplayer mode, but some of the spinoffs support cooperative and simultaneous play.

The upcoming remakes get a lot of flak from old people who played the originals, which is most of this thread, so you might not get a good answer here for the needs of someone who hasn't played any of them before.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

a theory i saw floated around was that TPC pressured masuda into having something out for holiday release, either BDSP or Arceus, and masuda, rather understandably, threw the remakes under the bus instead of kneecapping their new project

there's zero evidence for this, but it makes sense given what we know about TPC pressuring gamefreak in the past to get games out by deadlines so as to not disrupt the anime/merchandise money train, and frankly "the executives are tools who screw over the developers with poor management" is a more reasonable explanation than "the developers are idiots who don't give a poo poo"

So. BDSP looks disappointing but hopefully Arceus makes up for it??

I could see the company deciding to lay one game a year down on the sacrificial alter so the stronger more promising twin can survive.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Shneak posted:

I'm convinced BDSP exists just so Pokemon fans can now unanimously agree on the worst game in the series.

It'll still be DP.

It's just a shame, with ORAS you could grumble at them being too faithful but at least they had some cool redesigns and Emerald is a little old so you can kinda justify sticking with more QoL, but for BDSP it's 99% the same game and Platinum is still pretty good and pretty playable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

It'll still be DP.

It's just a shame, with ORAS you could grumble at them being too faithful but at least they had some cool redesigns and Emerald is a little old so you can kinda justify sticking with more QoL, but for BDSP it's 99% the same game and Platinum is still pretty good and pretty playable.
Yeah, I wasn't too excited for ORAS - after X/Y gave you an explosion of pokemon to find on every route, going back to R/S/E's offering was...eh. But the Megas and post game, and general itch for pokemon sold me eventually. Maybe BD/SP will have something cool in the post game, but right now it feels like there's just not really enough elsewhere to be excited about.

HG/SS felt like it struck a good balance of nostalgia and new stuff. Like, it's far from perfect (the Johto level curve not really fixed, and I want to say Kanto was still kind of thin in places.) - but following pokemon right off the bat was something easy to be excited for, then there was new stuff peppered across the game, like the Johto Safari zone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bongo Bill posted:

The truth is that nobody knows why the franchise wasn't just a flash in the pan. Everybody trying to copy them has burned out, if they even got off the ground in the first place. Even Game Freak's other games are B-tier at best.

Pokemon succeeded because it had a combination of really strong Gen I designs + a legitimately good (and most importantly, easy to understand) game + an entertaining tv series + an absolutely ridiculous marketing push in the west.

Ignoring the second two (since most competitors aren't going to have the money to come out the gate with an anime or a Pokemania-esque marketing push), most of Pokemon's competitors I've personally played or pay attention to fail in either one or both of the have good game and have good monster design categories.

Just a couple examples off the top of my head:

Temtem's starters look like crap and aren't as instantly recognizable and likable as Bulbapedia, Charmander, and Squirtle.
Digimon World was a weird, messy, and oftentimes confusing game that had like, nothing to do with the Digimon anime which I'm sure was a big turn-off for some people (such as myself).
Monster Rancher was really hit-or-miss in the monster designs and while the PS1 games had a neat hook, they weren't that great.
Spectrobes had a fairly decent push from Disney and the game was decent-ish, but the monster designs weren't really appealing or marketable.
Dragon Quest Monsters was pre-DQ8 so it never stood a chance in the west. :v:

Pokemon is a franchise where...everything just kind of came together really well at the beginning, and Game Freak / Nintendo / TPC was able to ride that initial momentum long enough to establish Pokemon as a big deal franchise that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. With the original games being a weird, quirky RPG released towards what was originally supposed to be the end of the Game Boy's lifespan, the franchise had a big chance of just being some niche obscure thing, but...yeah. Here we are twenty-five years later.

(Also boooo Drill Dozer at the very least is an A+ game. :argh:)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vandar posted:

Temtem's starters look like crap and aren't as instantly recognizable and likable as Bulbapedia, Charmander, and Squirtle.
temtem is also in a weird position of largely marketing their game as an MMO when it's not unless you really really bend the definition of MMO, and it doesn't really have MMO players playing it as a result.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Temtem releasing in an extremely buggy early access state hasn't helped it either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's just a feel and vibe to Pokemon as a franchise that no one else has really captured.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Vandar posted:

Pokemon succeeded because it had a combination of really strong Gen I designs + a legitimately good (and most importantly, easy to understand) game + an entertaining tv series + an absolutely ridiculous marketing push in the west.

Ignoring the second two (since most competitors aren't going to have the money to come out the gate with an anime or a Pokemania-esque marketing push), most of Pokemon's competitors I've personally played or pay attention to fail in either one or both of the have good game and have good monster design categories.

Just a couple examples off the top of my head:

Digimon World was a weird, messy, and oftentimes confusing game that had like, nothing to do with the Digimon anime which I'm sure was a big turn-off for some people (such as myself).
Monster Rancher was really hit-or-miss in the monster designs and while the PS1 games had a neat hook, they weren't that great.
Spectrobes had a fairly decent push from Disney and the game was decent-ish, but the monster designs weren't really appealing or marketable.
Dragon Quest Monsters was pre-DQ8 so it never stood a chance in the west. :v:

Pokemon is a franchise where...everything just kind of came together really well at the beginning, and Game Freak / Nintendo / TPC was able to ride that initial momentum long enough to establish Pokemon as a big deal franchise that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. With the original games being a weird, quirky RPG released towards what was originally supposed to be the end of the Game Boy's lifespan, the franchise had a big chance of just being some niche obscure thing, but...yeah. Here we are twenty-five years later.

(Also boooo Drill Dozer at the very least is an A+ game. :argh:)

And when you do hit all those points, a single slip can destroy you because you're in a marathon against a near-unsinkable franchise. Just ask poor Yokai Watch.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Bee posted:

And when you do hit all those points, a single slip can destroy you because you're in a marathon against a near-unsinkable franchise. Just ask poor Yokai Watch.

I'm not a Yokai Watch fan, but god, watching Level-5 sinking Yokai Watch with misstep after misstep was just depressing to see happening.

Blockhouse posted:

There's just a feel and vibe to Pokemon as a franchise that no one else has really captured.

The mainline Pokemon games have a certain spirit of adventure that's no one else has been able to touch on, the slow escalation from leaving your hometown to standing atop the Pokemon league as champion. It's a good-feeling sensation that none of its competitors have managed to emulate.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

I'm not a Yokai Watch fan, but god, watching Level-5 sinking Yokai Watch with misstep after misstep was just depressing to see happening.

The mainline Pokemon games have a certain spirit of adventure that's no one else has been able to touch on, the slow escalation from leaving your hometown to standing atop the Pokemon league as champion. It's a good-feeling sensation that none of its competitors have managed to emulate.

Personally there's something thrilling about visiting the pokemon version of actual countries and wandering through their natural environments and cities all the while building a team that you love. Pokemon is like the perfect combination of football and pet culture. Both addictive in their own way but unshakable when combined into a single monolith. People love their cats, now imagine saving the world with Mr. Whiskers because he's a badass you personally trained. It's a good feeling.

I was thinking during my walk today the series that really has some of the most glorious level designs was Sun & Moon especially the Ultra versions. Just loving stunning attention to detail with flower fields with petals in the breeze, mossy caverns, tangled jungles and ocean coves. Just spectacular exploration all around. I feel like if we can get a game with Sun and Moon's story and level design with Sword and Shield's characters and open world mechanics we'll have a major winner on our hands. But that would entirely depend on how much time and energy Gamefreak puts into Gen 9 and if they're going to bother learning from past positive feedback. I mean everybody and their mother loves regional variations and thank Christ they kept that addition in. I'm just curious how much they're paying attention in general.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Bee posted:

To be fair to Yokai Watch, when you're a Level-5 ip it becomes a matter of when, not if, you'll get burned to the ground.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I wasn't too excited for ORAS - after X/Y gave you an explosion of pokemon to find on every route, going back to R/S/E's offering was...eh. But the Megas and post game, and general itch for pokemon sold me eventually. Maybe BD/SP will have something cool in the post game, but right now it feels like there's just not really enough elsewhere to be excited about.

HG/SS felt like it struck a good balance of nostalgia and new stuff. Like, it's far from perfect (the Johto level curve not really fixed, and I want to say Kanto was still kind of thin in places.) - but following pokemon right off the bat was something easy to be excited for, then there was new stuff peppered across the game, like the Johto Safari zone.

The Johto safari zone is not a positive

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The Johto safari zone is not a positive

How is it not a positive? I remember it opening access to a bunch of Pokémon far earlier then you'd normally be able to get them in regular G/S.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

How is it not a positive? I remember it opening access to a bunch of Pokémon far earlier then you'd normally be able to get them in regular G/S.

It's overly complicated to the point that we still don't know all the details about how it works and Bulbapedia even gave up trying to figure them all out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

well, since leaks have slowed/stopped(?) and passing the time is a pain, here's a thing I did

https://twitter.com/jammerslammi/status/1457556837503488000

i also posted some speculation on what this list of nonsense could be (if it were real things) in the replies to the tweet

Wrath and Glory could be interesting. Route 1 is full of Type: Null and Galarian Moltres. Viridian Forest has Buzzwole, Pheromosa, and Genesect. Brock has a Diancie and an Arceus-Rock; Misty has a Kyogre, a Palkia, and a Dracovish. You can get Rayquaza near Celadon, but you can't teach it Dragon Ascent until the postgame.

Come to think of it, something like that probably already exists as a romhack, doesn't it?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hoping that theyre making the one game bad in order to make the other game good is ‘bargaining’

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Vandar posted:

It's overly complicated to the point that we still don't know all the details about how it works and Bulbapedia even gave up trying to figure them all out.

i mean, an inscrutable Safari Zone is better than the absent one original G/S/C had :shrug:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

i mean, an inscrutable Safari Zone is better than the absent one original G/S/C had :shrug:

My hot take is that all Safari Zones suck but that's just me.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Golden Goat posted:

I'm still looking forward to legends

:same:

Actually, I'm not really too fussed that BDSP looks very underwhelming to those who were looking for something more derivative. This game is just Diamond and Pearl with QoL features to make the games more palatable to a larger more casual audience. It also serves as a "What modern Sinnoh is like now" which is a sharp contrast to Legends Arceus, which is "What Sinnoh was like before it was known as Sinnoh". Which is where all the interesting ideas is being funneled to.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
BDSP is gonna be as good as Diamond and Pearl was, which is meh at best. Then again, I feel like Pokemon peaked in gen 2 (and gen 2 remakes) so :shrug:

Still gonna get it, still gonna play it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

:same:

Actually, I'm not really too fussed that BDSP looks very underwhelming to those who were looking for something more derivative. This game is just Diamond and Pearl with QoL features to make the games more palatable to a larger more casual audience. It also serves as a "What modern Sinnoh is like now" which is a sharp contrast to Legends Arceus, which is "What Sinnoh was like before it was known as Sinnoh". Which is where all the interesting ideas is being funneled to.

The great worldshaking event in Legends is that everyone will be squished down into squat gormless versions of themselves outside of pokemon battle. Battling truly is the only time they can feel alive.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

HG/SS had such a terrible levelling curve but they were so drat fun otherwise. Also Voltorb Flip was super addictive to me.

Unless a lot of good news and surprises hit soon, I think Legends will be a day 1 purchase and BDSP will be a game I buy used for half off a year from now. Boy do I hope they get all the kinks in this system worked out before they remake Black and White. That's what I'm really stoked for - and I wonder if B2/W2 will get remade, or ignored like Platinum? Yes I know, I shouldn't hope, I'll get to work squelching that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

hoping that theyre making the one game bad in order to make the other game good is ‘bargaining’
Given they farmed out BD/SP to a second developer, I'm not sure how that works out.

Vandar posted:

My hot take is that all Safari Zones suck but that's just me.
I still welcome most anything that expands pokemon selection, particularly in the early game.

I'd rather that happen without a safari zone or other gimmicks that make catching more annoying, but it's better then nothing.

xedo posted:

Unless a lot of good news and surprises hit soon, I think Legends will be a day 1 purchase and BDSP will be a game I buy used for half off a year from now. Boy do I hope they get all the kinks in this system worked out before they remake Black and White. That's what I'm really stoked for - and I wonder if B2/W2 will get remade, or ignored like Platinum? Yes I know, I shouldn't hope, I'll get to work squelching that.
The concern of the Gen 5 remake dawned on me earlier. It'd be a real shame if they dropped everything from B2/W2, but it feels extremely likely. The cool but never would happen options would be to have B2/W2 act as an NG+, or just let you choose between a B/W or B2/W2 journey, or just create a hybrid game, maybe flipping B2/W2 on its head and having it's start zones be post game the way they made B/W start zones post game?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 9, 2021

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

xedo posted:

HG/SS had such a terrible levelling curve but they were so drat fun otherwise. Also Voltorb Flip was super addictive to me.

Legends will inevitably leak sometime in December (thank God) and I'll decide then if I'll be doing a day one purchase. Chances are I most likely will, I want my adorable spooky Zorua after all. Unless the pokemon motions on the field somehow spectacularly poo poo the bed to point the game is almost unplayable I think it'll be fine.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations, thread!

When I said "playing together" I meant sitting together as one of us plays. I didn't even realize there were coop mechanics in a Pokemon game but learning that I think the LGP/LPE ones might be ideal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flopsy posted:

Legends will inevitably leak sometime in December (thank God) and I'll decide then if I'll be doing a day one purchase. Chances are I most likely will, I want my adorable spooky Zorua after all. Unless the pokemon motions on the field somehow spectacularly poo poo the bed to point the game is almost unplayable I think it'll be fine.

With them saying SwSh will stay the competitive battle space even after legends is out makes me think or hope the new pokes are backportable so worst comes to worse you'll be able to get your ghost dog and Scyther evo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So the ROM might've been leaked like fifteen minutes ago. Everyone's sailing the high sea torrenting it. So, uh, guess we'll see it all throughout the night.

Centro is saying the file comes at under 5 gigs, so this supposed Day 1 patch might be 3 whole rear end gigs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/qpvmww/game_works_on_yuzu_dump_is_real/
yup, people are playing it on Yuzu right now

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 9, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve never had a bad experience playing a Pokémon game. Even the bottom tier entries will keep me occupied for like fifty hours.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Framboise posted:

BDSP is gonna be as good as Diamond and Pearl was, which is meh at best. Then again, I feel like Pokemon peaked in gen 2 (and gen 2 remakes) so :shrug:

Still gonna get it, still gonna play it.

Pretty much. Which is a shame when factoring in 15 years of innovations, console hardware (even if a hilariously underpowered one), and a next gen price hike means it's gotta be graded on a curve hard in response. Like, objectively speaking, it remains to be seen whether new additions like following Pokemon and the heavily expanded Underground outweigh the affection mechanics and XP share being near-unavoidable, but even if it ends up the objectively better game I'd be super hard pressed to rank it over the originals, you know?

They'd probably be two of the bottom three, though especially when Platinum completely smokes any other way of experiencing Sinnoh.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

With them saying SwSh will stay the competitive battle space even after legends is out makes me think or hope the new pokes are backportable so worst comes to worse you'll be able to get your ghost dog and Scyther evo.

Oh yeah I'm counting on that but if you go a few pages back you'll note I'm also a very particular breeder. I like to make sure the new mons are in balls that match them aesthetically. And honestly so far I haven't actually seen anything in game that's really putting me off too hard. Backgrounds and pokemon animations seem to have modestly improved. The art direction is fine, not amazing but it's passable and the trailer music is absolutely beautiful. Combine that with new ride pokemon and fight mechanics there's enough there that I think I'll enjoy myself. Even Sword and Shield had enjoyable bits although the online made me want to throw myself out a window some days. Christ trying to connect is still loving chore if you don't constantly go back and refresh. But since I don't think that's going to be a big game mechanic in Legends that's a moot point in and of itself.

I very very rarely use my money for games as it is so picking up one at the beginning of next year is fine. I actually kinda appreciate there's only one version of it too. Cuts down on having to guess what version I'd like. Still I never preorder and I will be combing over the leaks carefully to make sure there's nothing in there that's going to make the game unplayable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/kaphotics/status/1457933198197813251?s=21

https://twitter.com/kaphotics/status/1457933200253087751?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game leaked an hour or so ago but people's torrents are finishing along with the first direct downloads