Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Right, but these are obligate herbivores, apparently hyper-evolved to root for tubers with their faces if we believe Mookie, who have developed into an apparent bourgoeis society in the cities.

Even when people were getting their diet from pulses and grains, there was still things like honey production, beer brewing, venison and game, supplemental gardens for other vegetables, etc. But I actually think showing pulses would be a good start! These loving orcs should be eating beans with every meal. Or chickpeas, or even Tef or Quinoa or some of the other exotic pseudocereals like Amaranth. Or poi or Fufu! There are places today where most of the calories come from cassava and yams for goodness sake. There's so many things he could choose from, but he draws big video game carrots and random squiggles instead.

E: Hell if we want to get fancy, loving spirulina growing is becoming a thing, and those little algeas pack a ton of protein. Hell, they could actually feed like gorilla and eat plants that would be too difficult for human gastrointestinal systems to break down. Right now, they eat basically what people who make fun of vegetarians say vegetarians eat.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beelzebufo posted:

Right now, they eat basically what people who make fun of vegetarians say vegetarians eat.

Isn't the author a vegetarian? Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
One of the earliest extant Irish legal texts is the Bechbretha ("Bee Judgments") which outlines various guidelines for resolving disputes involving bees and beekeeping. For example, anyone who keeps a hive on their property owes a portion of the honey to the owners of the adjacent lands because the bees collect pollen from their property. It also covers how to divvy things up when you find a wild swarm, and mentions the historical precedent of an Irish king losing the throne after being blinded by a bee.

None of this is particularly relevant here, but I kinda feel like the 7th Century Irish legal tract about bees has a lot more interesting poo poo going on in it than anything that's happened in Legacy.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
People figured out how to make tofu, seitan and tempeh hundreds of years ago (and potentially thousands in tofu's case) so he could even have fairly decent fakemeats going as vegan protein sources.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Isn't the author a vegetarian? Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

yes, Mookie is a vocal vegan. That's what I find so baffling about his attitude.

I'm not a vegan myself, but I am trying to actively cut down on the amount of animal products I consume, so I have been eating a lot of vegetarian and vegan foods. And there is a lot of choice! Have an orc cooking some njera or something Mookie, vegan ethiopian food is the bomb.

It's Mookie's choice that he made the orcs herbivores, and yet when faced with actually developing what that culture might be like, he seemingly doesn't pull from the personal experience that could inform it. Unless Mookie really does just eat salads, in which case I feel sorry for him.

E: My historical food contribution is that the primary and sometimes only condiment the romans had was a fermented fish sauce called garum, made of fish guts left in big vats in the sun. Get that Umami, baby

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 9, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beelzebufo posted:

Right, but these are obligate herbivores, apparently hyper-evolved to root for tubers with their faces if we believe Mookie,

aaaah it's even dumber, why they gently caress would they be bipeds if this was the case

like yeah i've got these cool hands that can use tools, but no lemme just get down on all fours and dig around in the dirt with my loving face

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pyrotoad posted:

People figured out how to make tofu, seitan and tempeh hundreds of years ago (and potentially thousands in tofu's case) so he could even have fairly decent fakemeats going as vegan protein sources.
And there's literal magic.

One of the problems modern readers have in getting an intuitive feel for historical food and cooking is that there have been absolutely monumental changes in agriculture over the past several centuries. The food crops you buy at the local grocer's don't look much like the food crops that bear the same or similar names in e.g. colonial America, much less medieaval Europe or classical antiquity. Same with domesticated animals. This has simple, direct effects--onions are much larger, less pungent, and don't keep as well as the ones cultivated by America's Founding Fathers, and a commercially farmed modern hog provides almost five times as much meat as the single domesticated hog that provided most of the annual animal protein consumption of an English peasant's household circa the early 12th Century. But you also wouldn't have burritos or doner kebab or kung pao chicken or loving ketchup without a convoluted interplay of diverse historical influences--trade, migration, politics, and so on.

And the deeganverse has sentient ambulatory plants and I don't even know what you could do with crop yields, developing new cultivars, and so on if you had actual literal magic at your disposal. But apparently what was done with these things was nothing, because food in the deeganverse is either nondescript lumps, slightly misspelled versions of familiar foods, or the giant cartoon carrot that's apparently how Mookie wanted to represent the cuisine of this high fantasy seaside village.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Bugs bunny rear end carrot.

E: Also the orcs have roots that they can fashion into fake teeth, so like, maybe they could have some loving curry or something.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 9, 2021

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Fister Roboto posted:

Catching fish *just* for crop fertilizer seems a huge waste of time and energy, doesn't it? Like yeah, fish fertilizer has been a thing for millennia, but usually you eat the fish first and then use the leftover bones and guts as fertilizer. Otherwise you'd want to use manure which is much easier to come by.

There's just zero thought put into this world building. Sure, you can have a race of obligate herbivores, but you have to at least think about how that impacts their history, development, and culture. You can't just throw down a fishing village and say "well I guess they just fish for funsies".

This is so nitpicky, but seaweed is a traditional fertilizer for coastal peoples and would make perfect sense for vegetarians to use. In parts of Scotland and Scandinavia, people relied on seaweed more than fish as fertilizer. It was so important, they had myths about seal-people fairies who could bring or withhold it from humans if they weren't properly respectful. That's just off the top of my head, but it's such an easy thing to keep some consistency in your world-building. It's okay to learn about other cultures and get ideas, just basic stuff like "How did people from this terrain solve that problem?" "How did pre-modern vegetarians do Thing that usually involves animal by-products?" "How did coastal people in Region differ from inland people?" And then you can get your own ideas building from that. You don't have to be the kind of dork who charts the migration of folk lore or gets excited about maritime centers of civilization to do good world-building, but there are ways to get inspired and informed.

It's just, like, Mookie... read a book.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I honestly can't stop laughing at the fact this large town has a comically over sized wharf, dozens if not hundreds of fishing boats and a massive fishing culture.

And all of it, all of it is so they can dump several tons of fish heads into their carrot gardens, and maybe sell what's left over to whatever non Orc settlement is nearby, but also not close enough too the lake to get their own damned fish.

This is the kind of well thought out world building that lesser writers wish they could achieve.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

i learn a lot from the various discussions in this thread, it's very enjoyable

It's true that, between us all, we have some information to make for a really rich and interesting fictional world, and that's more interesting to me than anything in the actual comic.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 9, 2021

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I debated whether or not to delete the things Snout interacted with, but I decided to leave it in.

I can't guarantee such in the future, but this has honestly been real fun to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

aaaah it's even dumber, why they gently caress would they be bipeds if this was the case

like yeah i've got these cool hands that can use tools, but no lemme just get down on all fours and dig around in the dirt with my loving face

If I remember correctly the tusks are for EATING tough veggies.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zereth posted:

:doh:

Molars. They're called molars.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah yes, like all the animals in the real world that have huge tusks for eating vegetables, such as

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
- Maple Candy
- Maple Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Buffalo Wings
- Maple Soda
- Maple Roast Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beelzebufo posted:

I hate Mookie's lazy approach to food. Like you said, it's not even really vegetarian or vegan cuisine he shows, it's literally just carrots and assorted salads. Like he can't even directly commit to drawing some tasty vegan nomnoms in his comic. Hell, the most detailed food he ever drew is coming up in the next mini arc from the vacation:

and even then, it was like a child's understanding of food. I want sweet maple with everything! said the 9 year old.

...did Mookie think yam is a type of bean?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I think the idea is that they use the tusks to pierce the hardened outside of the vegetables. Though logistically that's hard to imagine.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I could have sworn that it was explained the tusks were for hunting plant monsters native to Maltak.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RoboRodent posted:

:doh:

Molars. They're called molars.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ah yes, like all the animals in the real world that have huge tusks for eating vegetables, such as

I didn't say it made any sense.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zereth posted:

So, in real life, tusks are for digging up roots and tubers, like a warthog. Mookie, being stupid, thinks the orcs use the tusks, which both protrude from their mouths and are also clearly vestigial to chew the roots. It's why one of the racial slurs for orcs that he is far too eager and proud to talk about and bring up constantly is "root muncher."

Samovar posted:

...did Mookie think yam is a type of bean?

While that's possible, that is close enough to what a dish of sliced candied yams, a traditional American Thanksgiving food for midwesterners, looks like.

Riot Bus posted:

I think the idea is that they use the tusks to pierce the hardened outside of the vegetables. Though logistically that's hard to imagine.

Mookie did say this at some point in original Deegan. I think during the food drive for the blasted wastes of Maltak, when we're being introduced in detail to orcs for the first time in the comic.

He then immediately contradicted it by showing some orcs on hovrseback hunting, killing, and butchering a plant monster with spears and knives.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I could have sworn that it was explained the tusks were for hunting plant monsters native to Maltak.
You are remembering that accurately. The issue is, like many worldbuilding/setting elements in the comic, it is explicitly contradicted a very short time later because Mookie chooses not to plan the comic ahead or make a story bible.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible Clergy posted:

He then immediately contradicted it by showing some orcs on hovrseback hunting, killing, and butchering a plant monster with spears and knives.

If the plants they eat are sapient and mobile, aren't those "plants" just animals for all intents and purposes?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Invisible Clergy posted:

While that's possible, that is close enough to what a dish of sliced candied yams, a traditional American Thanksgiving food for midwesterners, looks like.

Well, thank gently caress for that, at least.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Catpetter1981 posted:

If the plants they eat are sapient and mobile, aren't those "plants" just animals for all intents and purposes?

I mean, yeah, and you think if the plants were running around and fighting and stuff, they'd have some sort of skeleton/muscular structure and you'd see things like different 'cuts' of the plant, just like with meat.

Mookie wants you to remember that vegetarians are like, totally super badass.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Catpetter1981 posted:

The difference being that orcs can digest their 'flesh', which they can't with meat animals

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Catpetter1981 posted:

That's something he explored for like half a second in the Legacy, remember? There's a sunflower guy named, uh, Sunflower, and the evil rebel orcs who killed orc guy's wife want to eat the sentient plants.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Ah yes, Sunflower, the sunflower man who communicates by making people eat his seeds...

SubG posted:

One of the earliest extant Irish legal texts is the Bechbretha ("Bee Judgments") which outlines various guidelines for resolving disputes involving bees and beekeeping. For example, anyone who keeps a hive on their property owes a portion of the honey to the owners of the adjacent lands because the bees collect pollen from their property. It also covers how to divvy things up when you find a wild swarm, and mentions the historical precedent of an Irish king losing the throne after being blinded by a bee.

None of this is particularly relevant here, but I kinda feel like the 7th Century Irish legal tract about bees has a lot more interesting poo poo going on in it than anything that's happened in Legacy.

You've heard of tree law, now get ready for bee law!

Also, regarding tusks, I just want an excuse to post a pic of a male Chinese Water Deer, which has tusks to attract mates:

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScienceSeagull posted:

Also, regarding tusks, I just want an excuse to post a pic of a male Chinese Water Deer, which has tusks to attract mates:

That's the goofiest-looking animal i've ever seen.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hell yeah, saber tooth deer.

There is a thing where a lot of plants have evolved "hey you, eat me to complete my life cycle." Plants may have defenses to keep the rest of them from being eaten, but a lot of them will then put out a tempting edible fruit full of seeds to be pooped out somewhere with a convenient supply of fertilizer. Oak forests will create massive crops of acorns, just to play the game of "if we jointly create as many acorns as we can, it's impossible for all of them to be eaten."

There is definitely room for exploring a sapient plant culture that takes a slightly unexpected view of whether or not it's okay for animal races to eat their seeds. There's room to think about motile plant species and how they're constructed, how they behave, to look at plant species that move quickly in the real world and extrapolate. But, you know, Mookie is king of lazy world building and just ignores all this. It's just magic. It works because magic. It exists because I say it does.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Two fun examples of this: peppers use capsaicin (which is what makes them spicy) to prevent mammals from eating their fruit, because molars can damage the seeds. Birds - which are much better for spreading the plant's seeds, since, y'know, no teeth - aren't affected by capsaicin. Also, avocado pits are sufficiently huge that the fruit was probably depending on giant ground sloths to spread them before humans came along.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 9, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

Hell yeah, saber tooth deer.

There is a thing where a lot of plants have evolved "hey you, eat me to complete my life cycle." Plants may have defenses to keep the rest of them from being eaten, but a lot of them will then put out a tempting edible fruit full of seeds to be pooped out somewhere with a convenient supply of fertilizer. Oak forests will create massive crops of acorns, just to play the game of "if we jointly create as many acorns as we can, it's impossible for all of them to be eaten."

There is definitely room for exploring a sapient plant culture that takes a slightly unexpected view of whether or not it's okay for animal races to eat their seeds. There's room to think about motile plant species and how they're constructed, how they behave, to look at plant species that move quickly in the real world and extrapolate. But, you know, Mookie is king of lazy world building and just ignores all this. It's just magic. It works because magic. It exists because I say it does.

Now I'm imagining a race of sentient plant people. They can move around on their own and pollinate themselves, but it's considered "traditional" to have a third party pollinate for them. This leads to many awkward conversations with animal species.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

To be fair, slightly altering the names of real world things isn't that uncommon in fantasy settings. Like off the top off my head, in His Dark Materials, chocolate is called chocolatl in Lyra's world. But there's obviously some thought put into that, it comes from the original Nahuatl word for chocolate, and it hints and that world's divergent history.

Mavpel is just maple with a V.

Yeah HDM uses a lot of more native words like Japanese people being the Nihon and kerosene lamps being naptha lamps (from Akkadian/Old Persian). It points to a world where English evolved slightly differently in terms of external influence, in line with a world that is *like* ours but different.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Catpetter1981 posted:

Yes.

Loving medieval food chat.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah HDM uses a lot of more native words like Japanese people being the Nihon and kerosene lamps being naptha lamps (from Akkadian/Old Persian). It points to a world where English evolved slightly differently in terms of external influence, in line with a world that is *like* ours but different.

I haven't read HDM in forever, though I did really like it when I was younger. It was a "here's a book to read while we're camping" from my parents, and they were pleased it was a hit, as I recall.

I do remember that the equivalent term for "electric" was "anbaric," and I did know that the word "electricity" came from the Greek word for amber "elektron." In those pre-google days, working out that "anbar" was the Arabic root was beyond me, but it was close enough to the modern English word for me to guess.

And I felt so goddamn smart when I put those together.

I still have the books. Maybe it's worth a reread at some point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

I haven't read HDM in forever, though I did really like it when I was younger. It was a "here's a book to read while we're camping" from my parents, and they were pleased it was a hit, as I recall.

I do remember that the equivalent term for "electric" was "anbaric," and I did know that the word "electricity" came from the Greek word for amber "elektron." In those pre-google days, working out that "anbar" was the Arabic root was beyond me, but it was close enough to the modern English word for me to guess.

And I felt so goddamn smart when I put those together.

I still have the books. Maybe it's worth a reread at some point.

That's the one they actually explain in the books, too!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

it blew my mind when I realized that electricity used to refer to the property of an object, like an object's elasticity, instead of being an abstract noun in and off itself. The electricity of an object (literally meaning "like or resembling amber", like RoboRodent said) was its tendency to attract other objects when rubbed. There's so much history just coded into the words we use every day.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

So would you say that Snout has a high level of electrvicity for naked cuddles?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Again, what exactly is the ink witch sad about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
For some reason the big DEAF label makes this one pop for me.

ToneDEAF

EmotionallyDEAF

I can't wait until Friday, when everyone else realizes that Snout tried to cheer them up by prodding them to do something only he was interested in and that's just as good as being there for them, so everything's fine.