Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
How do I get better at using Hu Tao to attack? I keep seeing people on youtube doing all those charge cancels and I don't really get it. My Tao is C1 with a R3 Dragon's Bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Don’t hold forward while charging then jump.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boat Stuck posted:

How do I get better at using Hu Tao to attack? I keep seeing people on youtube doing all those charge cancels and I don't really get it. My Tao is C1 with a R3 Dragon's Bane.

You just jump or dash as early as possible after hitting the charge attack and then repeat it over again. Dashing is better/faster than jumping but costs more stamina -- C0 Hu Tao can't do it or she'll run dry, but C1 can.
You loop either 1 or 2 normal attacks, charge, dash, repeat, until your skill ends. Apparently the 2-attack-before-charge version is more optimal but tighter timing and harder to do.

If you want to practice the timing, buy one of those level 1 spears from the blacksmith in Monstadt so your Hu Tao does 0 damage and then spend a while hitting a regisvine or some overworld enemy over and over.

Check the "Animation Cancels & Combos" section of the Keqingmains guide for more in-depth info by someone who (unlike me) knows what they're talking about.
According to them, the best you can do with perfect timing is 12 hit-hit-charge-dash loops in one skill duration, but a more realistic number is 8-10.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m gonna repeat it just because it’s incredibly obvious how everything works once you see it: neutral jumps. Don’t be holding a direction when you jump. It is the difference between working and not. Nothing ever actually mentions this for some reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you're c1 you shouldn't be jumping though

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lol fair enough then

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you'll hit the dodge timer if you're cancelling perfectly and have to jump every 3rd charge even with c1 unless you're doing an alternate rotation specifically to avoid hitting it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Damage bonus" is a separate stat from "attack", and they're multiplied together.
The damage formula is basically

[(character base attack + weapon attack) * (1 + increased attack %) + flat attack from feather/bennett] * (1 + sum of all applicable bonus %s)

So if you had +50% pyro damage bonus and +25% charged attack bonus, your Klee's charged attack would have a total of +75% damage bonus, and this would multiply the final damage after all attack/crit bonuses, not just your base attack.

Excellent. Thanks.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tae posted:

My priority list for anyone saving rolls

Zhongli-------------------------------------------------------->your waifu/husbando

But what if.......Zhongli IS my waifu?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then you can't ever roll again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm losing feeling in my itto and gorou

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
TODAY:

IN CELEBRATION:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bloody Emissary posted:

In the past, when doing the Mondstadt talent domain with my friend who runs Bennett, I've brought Kazuha along with the goal of Swirling around Pyro off of the self-application from Bennett's burst. It's been an exercise in frustration every time, because he tries to hold Bennett's burst until one of us takes enough damage that we need healing instead of keeping the field up constantly. :negative:

You can't keep it on the field constantly, there's a three second gap between the duration and CD. :argh:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I wish the BP had infinite levels after you hit 50, it could even be crap like a dripfeed of Mora and crystals and crap, I don't care.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Destiny 2 does something like that but lol at playing Destiny 2 after they vaulted so much of the content.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm conflicted on refining my Serpent Spine or keeping them separate to equip on multiple characters.

The R1 to R5 max bonus goes from +30% DMG to +50%, which sounds like it's 66% stronger. But in reality you've got at least a 46.6% goblet bonus already, then probably some more from artifact sets, and even more if you run Kazuha. In the end, it's really only about a 20% increase for 6 months' worth of BPs. The difference between each rank is gonna be even harder to notice.

On the other hand, it's still number going up.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm conflicted on refining my Serpent Spine or keeping them separate to equip on multiple characters.

The R1 to R5 max bonus goes from +30% DMG to +50%, which sounds like it's 66% stronger. But in reality you've got at least a 46.6% goblet bonus already, then probably some more from artifact sets, and even more if you run Kazuha. In the end, it's really only about a 20% increase for 6 months' worth of BPs. The difference between each rank is gonna be even harder to notice.

On the other hand, it's still number going up.
I guess the question I would ask is, how many claymore users are you going to have at once in a party (or across 2 parties for Abyss)? Although I guess you could try to go sicko mode and do something insane like a Razor/Chongyun/Beidou/Sayu comp, but who's going to do that? ...it's you isn't it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Although I guess you could try to go sicko mode and do something insane like a Razor/Chongyun/Beidou/Sayu comp, but who's going to do that? ...it's you isn't it

Well... I did just get this BS goblet and discovered that Razor is one of the few Electros with a high multiplier single hit attack.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

why can't I do this on a +CR hat?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For one thing it's literally less likely to get good substats on items with crit/attack mainstats since the substat that matches the mainstat can never roll.
If the only substats you want are crit chance, crit damage, and atk, they instantly only have 2/3ds as many "good" options as, say, flowers do.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Getting good flowers/feathers is technically easy, seeing as the lack of main stat variation means one less thing for the RNG to screw up. Sadly you can almost never afford to have flowers or feathers be an off-set piece, since the odds of getting a good in-set goblet is small, and both goblet AND head piece even smaller.

I have so many good and potentially good flowers and feathers that I can't find a home for because they're either not in sets that any of my characters need, or they're not obvious upgrades for characters that already have same-set pieces.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 9, 2021

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyoro posted:

What team do you guys use when running around the world and killin poo poo / getting chests?

Currently I run Noelle/Yoimiya/Qiqi/Eula, but I have most of the stuff complete everywhere. In Inazuma I often switched Yoimiya with Keqing to solve electro puzzles.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Ayaka is dominating the meta right now, so she's not really a bad pull under any circumstance.

I'm not sure how to best use Ayaka. What team composition should I use with her?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

padijun posted:

why can't I do this on a +CR hat?
On the bright side that'll make a Hu Tao very happy as an off-set piece.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Zebia posted:

I'm not sure how to best use Ayaka. What team composition should I use with her?

The only situation where she's "dominating the meta" is in whale speedrun poo poo, where she is absolutely ridiculous due to the sheer power of her burst. She's still very good outside of that. I haven't heard much talk about people using her in Melt teams, but she's great in a Freeze team. Ideally with Mona+Venti and either Ganyu or Diona, but Xingqiu and Kazuha work too.

Supposedly she can also work with Raiden, since Raiden's E doesn't apply electro fast enough to ruin the freezing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ayaka's best reaction is freeze and her staple teammates are Kazuha and Mona because they provide huge damage buffs to freeze.

The "standard" comp for her is Ayaka Kazuha Diona Mona. I hate how diona feels playing wirh her so I use Rosaria instead and use mona as healer with prototyoe Amber. You can substitute other hydro/anemo as you need (before I pulled Mona I used Barbara, Venti/sucrose can be fine, using jean is sometimes fine but grouping is especially good with Ayaka due to her burst and some ungroupable enemies can be grouped while frozen).

The reason Ayaka is especially popular now is a.) she's amazing and b.) she functions without Bennett/Xiangling/Xingqiu letting you play that support-hogging raiden team.

Give her 4 piece blizzard strayer and the anemomnema kageuchi craftable unless you have a 5 star weapon. Energy recharge is a huge concern for her and the kageuchi can really help (mine has 145 ER and it's just enough with favonious Rosaria)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 9, 2021

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ayaka is a character with like 3 constellations' worth of amazing poo poo just baked into her at c0+a4, on her dash alone:
- Applies cryo in an aoe
- Gives you cryo infusion
- Gives you a damage buff for applying cryo
- Restores stamina on that dash application of cryo

On top of that she's a sword user who feels extremely satisfying in combat between big chunky skill hits, the massive shredder of her burst, and the fact that dash-canceling her attack string refunds a chunk of itself and refreshes your cryo infusion. My only criticisms of Ayaka are that her dash doesn't work on any altitude change at all, and that she honestly will make your other characters feel worse if you spend enough time with her.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Here’s hoping she has a rerun sometime soonish.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we haven't even seen Xiao or Ganyu yet, it's gonna be a while

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

:negative: guess I’ll just build Aloy in the meantime now that I’ve gotten Hu Tao to 80.

I’ll have a bunch of primos saved for her, at least.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Wow I didn't realize how lucky I was to get Ayaka on a whim. She's been a great carry for me since then but I didn't realize how revered she was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AshtonDragon posted:

The only situation where she's "dominating the meta" is in whale speedrun poo poo
the only situation where shes dominating the meta is the only thing where the meta matters, correct

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I will save my extensive praise for Ayaka for her rerun.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

the only situation where shes dominating the meta is the only thing where the meta matters, correct

I guess. I'd expect though that most people around here are effectively metagaming by doing the best they can with what they have though. I just wanted to clarify that for us lowly peasants, she probably isn't a tier above the other top dps characters.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Maybe not but she seems fun as hell to play. That’s why you should pull for characters.

Speaking of fun characters I have to level Venti to 80 now that I hit WL7 and his burst the gently caress cloud doesn’t pull stuff reliably anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AshtonDragon posted:

I guess. I'd expect though that most people around here are effectively metagaming by doing the best they can with what they have though. I just wanted to clarify that for us lowly peasants, she probably isn't a tier above the other top dps characters.
Eh, she's fairly easy to build a team for and freeze teams are extremely safe and reliable.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

humpthewind posted:

Wow I didn't realize how lucky I was to get Ayaka on a whim. She's been a great carry for me since then but I didn't realize how revered she was.

She was revered since before the game came out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dogsicle posted:

My man Albedo, forgotten by all...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nyoro posted:

My man Albedo, forgotten by all...
Albedo is getting LOTS of attention next patch. Those who dont own/want him will actually resent him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t like Ayaka’s character design so I don’t want to play as her, her performance doesn’t matter in my calculus

This is also why I don’t like Xiangling, Xingqiu, and I really like Kaeya and Jean