Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

flatluigi posted:

foone makes me wish people still had blogs because I'd absolutely follow their blog but I could only take 30-40 tweet threads for so long

Foone addressed this in the past: Twitter works well for their ADHD in that you can do a deep dive, but broken into chunks. It's like the one exception for this sort of thing to me

(And I agree about blogs. It used to be nice to see what Mr jalopy was up to, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan goes deep into his Mini Disc collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7kY3T8hBU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Lowen SoDium posted:

I can't see why it would be cheaper. The new style one has everything that the old version had, parts wise, except for the metal cone and the disk having the pegs on them to pluck the comb.

This is just... stupid.

The old one required more tooling for manufacturing to make the different disks. I wouldn't be surprised if that would much more expensive than crapping out yet another microcontroller+sound pcb of the sort that's in hundreds of other toys.

EDIT: NVM, I read further and I guess each record is still physically different. This is surreal. I'm sure there must be some reason why this is cheaper because why else would they do it but :psyduck:

SavageMessiah has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Oct 30, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Miss .plan's

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the new toy will not last nearly as long

that's it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ValerieH137/status/1457814779284885511?s=20

That hard drive maxed out at around 200 megs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

it looks like a robot snail that is holding out his hands, full of buttons, to you!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Code Jockey posted:

it looks like a robot snail that is holding out his hands, full of buttons, to you!

FATHER

GIVE ME LEGS

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The hardware failure mode is a boss fight.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Trabant posted:

FATHER

GIVE ME LEGS

jesus lmao

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I bet that machine would be great at determining a Numberwang

monolithburger has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Nov 9, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
that robot snail abomination would make a great av

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JPF3pn5O4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the dual Stalin's organs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm trying to imagine how much you could store on a drive platter that size built using modern tech and the only number I can think of is one whole internet.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

When progressive rock bands like Rush and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer were writing songs about people fighting computers, that’s the computer they were thinking of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Angry snailputer has its dukes up.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Kwyndig posted:

I'm trying to imagine how much you could store on a drive platter that size built using modern tech and the only number I can think of is one whole internet.

with a seek time measured in years

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Modern hard drives are around 1.3 terabits per square inch in areal density (from a very cursory google search; this number goes back to 2015, and it may be closer to 2 tbit now).
That drive has 39 inch diameter platters. The inner spindle ring seems to be around 9 inches from a quick measurement on an image. The area of the platter is therefore pi*(39^2 - 9^2) = 4524 square inches.

4524*1.3/8 = 735 terabytes. So if it's double sided, 1.47 petabytes per platter.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

To continue reading this file, flip the platter over to side B.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Scarodactyl posted:

To continue reading this file, flip the platter over to side B.

Do I have to cut a new write-protect notch for the other side using a hole punch?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Do I have to cut a new write-protect notch for the other side using a hole punch?
I had the special tool for that.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HATE

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I'd really like to know what inspired that redtext.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Weatherman posted:

I'd really like to know what inspired that redtext.

I actually don't know. I really wish I did and I really wish it was a funny story. I did create a thread about Frasier many years ago and I'd love for you to post in it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3814064

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No one ever called me out and said this is why I spent money to buy this no one ever insulted me. It just happened. And I never had any meltdown or any fun thing like that. I just had a thread about Frasier.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Sweevo posted:

Minidisc failed because it was full of DRM bullshit and because it didn't include a way to use them for data. It could have cleaned up in the post-floppy era when CD-R drives were still expensive (and prone to making coasters) and people were trying things like ZIP, Jazz, and LS120 drives to fill the gap. If there had been a standard way of storing a few hundred MB on a minidisc then they could have eaten into the early USB stick market, and been used instead of CDs to play MP3s from.

Those gaps were just later refined and way cheaper versions of tech that had been big for publishing in the 80s and 90s. I’ve been getting into light restoration of vintage Macs and it’s amazing that the formats that were really expensive for publishing still have a bit of a premium on them when hunting for working drives. I guess anyone selling feels that if you’re looking for the item you may be trying to salvage old files that haven’t been archived in a better format yet and will pay what is needed. Meanwhile I just want as period correct a setup for some of my wilder finds and am shocked to see $100 plus prices for these drives.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It really died because of Sony's obsession with proprietary formats and DRM (before DRM was even a term).
I'll say it every time the topic comes up, Sony really is its own worst enemy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It really died because of Sony's obsession with proprietary formats and DRM (before DRM was even a term).

Again, though, at one time the RIAA was absolutely desperate for unbeatable DRM, or a media that was uncopyable, and would have crowned the first person to produce it and make it publically popular as God-King of the Earth. And Sony, by god, threw everything at the wall and prayed something would stick.

Apple eventually won this battle, but not through unbeatable DRM, but by making music essentially too cheap to pirate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

too cheap to pirate.

Lmao lol.

Too cheap to pirate for a profit you mean.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
"too cheap/easily available for pirating to remain an issue".

I remember those weird years, where the tech and expectations for mp3 were there, but when you couln't _buy_ digital music (mp3 or serious alternatives).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Collateral Damage posted:

I'll say it every time the topic comes up, Sony really is its own worst enemy.

When Guitar/Song Hero was the hottest poo poo the biggest blockage in their content production pipeline was negotiating licensing with... Sony BMG, lol.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wipfmetz posted:

"too cheap/easily available for pirating to remain an issue".

I remember those weird years, where the tech and expectations for mp3 were there, but when you couln't _buy_ digital music (mp3 or serious alternatives).

Metallica and Madonna spearheading the crusade against digital formats and later, digital distribution. Also misreading the room by accusing the people who wanted digital formats or get this, use their computer or phone to listen to music, for being "loser nerds and pirates".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Metallica and Madonna spearheading the crusade against digital formats and later, digital distribution. Also misreading the room by accusing the people who wanted digital formats or get this, use their computer or phone to listen to music, for being "loser nerds and pirates".

People who wanted to listen to Metallica were loser nerds and still are :colbert:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Also nobody has given a poo poo about Madonna since ~1990.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who wanted to listen to Metallica were loser nerds and still are :colbert:

Guilty as charged.

But damnit, it ain't right

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a midi of Metallica on my MySpace page. What up nerds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sweevo posted:

Also nobody has given a poo poo about Madonna since ~1990.
98 or 99, really she had a pretty good song on the Austin Powers 2 soundtrack.

It was her late 90s experimental poo poo like Power of Goodbye and Frozen.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=redTxFT-GLk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yes, I also listen to Viikate and Kotiteollisuus for their uplifting messages and positive looks of life.