Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
One neat thing Gen 5 did (that admittedly started to grate as you got later in the game) was making the critical health noise its own music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsoxjylnQ68

Would like to see the idea return as critical health remixes of the currently playing battle theme instead of just a single song for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Gen 2 mons were pretty bad imo apart from a handful. I tried to go through catching and training only new ones and you can't really do it.

I feel like Gen 2 has some real heavy hitters, the problem is they're just spread very thin.

Just personally Gen 3 just has so little I like. Like there's some good designs like the banana dinosaur, but if you asked me to pick favorites from that gen, I draw a blank.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best Pokémon is :psyduck: and it isn’t even CLOSE

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actual lol

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat Dread. 100%, just under 9 hours. What an absolute ride. The final boss had me literally sweating. I don’t think I have it in me for hard mode. The normal game was tough enough!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The best Pokémon is :psyduck: and it isn’t even CLOSE

Golduck is better though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gen V ruled. Top tier spritework. Over 150 brand new Pokemon and it committed to the promise. You didn't even see a wild Pikachu until after completing the campaign.

Speaking of the campaign, the story was closer to traditional JRPG, the evil team was engaging, and a unique rival character who wasn't just some wimpy kid or friend cop out like most gens now. They even addressed the underlying premise of the franchise.

It had very snappy battles, which was a huge relief coming from how slow gen IV's were. Not only did it introduce triple battles, it brought in the GOAT battle type, rotation battles.

And then rather than doing a third version to Black and White, they did direct sequels, taking place a couple years later, so even though you were playing through that region and it's gym leaders again, it wasn't a rehash. Things, the leaders changed things up, a couple changes, and you even got to see what happened in the wake of the end of the Black and White.

It was the boldest generation yet and they won't be topping it any time soon. Sales figures don't mean a drat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gen V ruled. Top tier spritework. Over 150 brand new Pokemon and it committed to the promise. You didn't even see a wild Pikachu until after completing the campaign.

Speaking of the campaign, the story was closer to traditional JRPG, the evil team was engaging, and a unique rival character who wasn't just some wimpy kid or friend cop out like most gens now. They even addressed the underlying premise of the franchise.

It had very snappy battles, which was a huge relief coming from how slow gen IV's were. Not only did it introduce triple battles, it brought in the GOAT battle type, rotation battles.

And then rather than doing a third version to Black and White, they did direct sequels, taking place a couple years later, so even though you were playing through that region and it's gym leaders again, it wasn't a rehash. Things, the leaders changed things up, a couple changes, and you even got to see what happened in the wake of the end of the Black and White.

It was the boldest generation yet and they won't be topping it any time soon. Sales figures don't mean a drat.

it was trash and the boldest generations were sumo and swoshi which both easily trample over black and whites mundane failure. consigned to the dustbin of history as the worst generation without question.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

also this is specifically what i meant about the disease it infected people with thaht has them complaining about the games not being miserable anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harrow posted:

Actual lol

I can't believe Nintendo killed a local journalist live on tv

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
1. X and Y
2. Blue and Red
3. Diamond and Pearl
4. Gold and Silver
5. Ruby and Sapphire
6. Black and White
7. Sword and Shield
8. Sun and Moon

I forgot to ran Sun and Moon at first. God, what a bad Gen.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gold and Silver is the best gen because it’s the one I remember most fondly for hitting at the right time of my life and blowing my young mind

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is gonna sound like flame bait, but are any of the (mainline) pokémon games actually worth playing as an adult if you have never played one before? i'm sure i'll get one for little jones when he's a bit better at reading to help him with it; i'm more wondering if there'd be anything that'll pique my own interest. i like cute things and generally think pokémon are cute if that helps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

this is gonna sound like flame bait, but are any of the (mainline) pokémon games actually worth playing as an adult if you have never played one before? i'm sure i'll get one for little jones when he's a bit better at reading to help him with it; i'm more wondering if there'd be anything that'll pique my own interest. i like cute things and generally think pokémon are cute if that helps.

all of them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

also this is specifically what i meant about the disease it infected people with thaht has them complaining about the games not being miserable anymore.

Sorry for desiring conflict in my JRPGs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zurtilik posted:

I forgot to ran Sun and Moon at first. God, what a bad Gen.

its the best one actually

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Red and Blue have some of the day jank but have also been remade twice so it all kinda evens out. Silver and Gold introduced a bunch of neat stuff but was also kind of bloated.

Ruby and Sapphire was a serviceable pokemon game and introduced Ralts who was very cute. The little house system was good and I wish they utilized it better.

Diamond and Peal was perfectly playable and introduced some nice online and post game stuff. A little forgettable though.

Black and White I have entirely forgotten other than the weird mall thing it offered. Which seemed neat in practice but bleh in execution.

X and Y was pokemon's first real foray into full 3D as a main entry. My only gripe against it is that it did introduce some of the extreme hand holding that became intolerable bloat in the next two gens. Mega Evolutions were a good and interesting idea. The game had features like the clothes that were fun to play with. It had a breezy plot and a good pace generally. The pokemon added were fine and the fairy type is neat. It also added a number of good systems that let casuals dip their toes more easily into the more competitive parts of the game.

Sun and Moon introduced the regional varients which were kind of neat but it's the first pokemon set I put down before the third "gym". I'll give it a little credit for taking some risks with some things, but it kind of didn't feel good to play.

Sword and Shield added a lot of nice QoL stuff but was boring as can be and I remember almost nothing about it even though I played like 100 hours.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 9, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

There's a happy medium between Sw/Sh feeling like there's no conflict, and literally the whole game just moves out of your way, and edgy fan games where you need to defeat a radiation abomination that is also your mom or something.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

I bought and finished Alpha Sapphire at the age of 38 for my first Pokemon game. It was fun and I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I'll buy any more of them. Maybe I'll check out one of the DS gens for the hell of it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
sick of thehse CUCKED pokemon games about having fun with friends. i prefer somerthing a bit moreadult and mature. dm me if you wouldl like to play a romhack that askes the REAL quesitons we want to know about the pomouni (pokemon universe-) like th conditions pokemon are kept in their "balls" (aka prisons (hint: NOT GOOD()). but bewarned this is rated T for teen at LEAST. i like to think of it as the zach snyder of pokemon aka unchained by the childish BULLSHIT crammed down our throats.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Stux posted:

sick of thehse CUCKED pokemon games about having fun with friends. i prefer somerthing a bit moreadult and mature. dm me if you wouldl like to play a romhack that askes the REAL quesitons we want to know about the pomouni (pokemon universe-) like th conditions pokemon are kept in their "balls" (aka prisons (hint: NOT GOOD()). but bewarned this is rated T for teen at LEAST. i like to think of it as the zach snyder of pokemon aka unchained by the childish BULLSHIT crammed down our throats.

But I already have SMTV preloaded

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oxyclean posted:

There's a happy medium between Sw/Sh feeling like there's no conflict, and literally the whole game just moves out of your way, and edgy fan games where you need to defeat a radiation abomination that is also your mom or something.

the only way swsh would be better is if the perfunctory legendary pokemon part shoved in near the end was replaced entirely with the two dumbass pricnes from the post game who owned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fun fact, Pokemon Sun and Moon have more dialogue than than every Animal Crossing and Ace Attorney game combined.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Achmed Jones posted:

Really depends but I think the series offers a lot of different things for different people. If you're really into the idea of collecting a lot of cute pets then it's obviously gonna grab you. But also there's the surprisingly deep swath of mechanics to raising & training peak performance mons if you wanna go into the deep end of battling other players. And if you just want a cozy little RPG experience they can be fun for that too.

None of the games are ever all that difficult outside of the Elite Four of certain gens just going straight for your jugular but they can be relaxing, cute journeys on their own. I personally like to do Type Ace runs of the games, which is where you pick 1 type and build your team exclusively out of pokemon of that type. It can add some challenge in certain parts and makes you consider some pokemon that you might've passed up otherwise. The last one I did was a Poison Ace run of XY and the difficulty there was frontloaded on the first two gyms. Because you go to a Bug Gym followed by a Rock Gym and both of those are very difficult matchups for poison. Still had a blast though. Swalot is a goofy rear end fun pokemon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhRIneQFmHA

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pokemon games known to be absolutely miserable: Pokemon Red & Blue and Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Gary said smell you later and I just could NOT deal. I want my video games to be nice to me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Oxyclean posted:

Pokemon games known to be absolutely miserable: Pokemon Red & Blue and Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Gary said smell you later and I just could NOT deal. I want my video games to be nice to me.

who are you event alking to

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the input switch friends!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I want a Pokemon where the characters gently caress. (THEYRE 21 NOW, so it's not weird. )

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We lost a whole art form when video game graphics stopped looking like poo poo

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

We lost a whole art form when video game graphics stopped looking like poo poo

ahem... maybe you haven't seen POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD :D :D :D :D :D :D :d: D

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Look to indies if you want games that look like they were made for the Saturn. Anodyne 2 is a standout and is in my top ten of the year.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Depends on what type of gameplay you want. Since the Let's Go games are based on gen 1, they have much more involved cave systems and dungeons than Sword and Shield, as in they exist (albeit at the cost of the traditional wild pokemon fights). So more interesting adventuring. But Sword and Shield have more mons and lots of legendaries to fight and collect, plus some good DLC.

If you have access to a DS, the Black/White and Black2/White2 games are chock full of side content and postgame content, which dropped off a little with the shift to 3DS.

And of course there's the gen 4 remakes this month which I can't really speak to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

b_d posted:

ahem... maybe you haven't seen POKEMON SWORD AND SHIELD :D :D :D :D :D :D :d: D

gently caress you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

hatty posted:

Look to indies if you want games that look like they were made for the Saturn. Anodyne 2 is a standout and is in my top ten of the year.

aondyne 2 is my favorite game Of All TIme currently and its epic and win

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Super Metroid was the main fixture at GDQ for a long time but that was mostly because of the whole 'save/kill the animals' thing.

Until one year when they did a low% race and three out of four died to Phantoon and someone got real pissy about the whole thing, anyway.

Probably less pissy and more nervous because save/kill the animals is/was their biggest single donation topic and that race made it very clear that even 4 top tier runners could still brick the race. Plus having only 1 person to watch because the other 3 died is pretty boring. I remember watching it and thinking "wow I wonder if we're going to see a bricked run and what the GDQ staff will do if that happens."

Oatsngoats' run of Super Metroid Impossible was better anyways, even with the Ridley deaths.

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Metroid 6 should introduce wall jump degradation

Metroid Prime 4 will have wall jumping durability.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’ve never heard the music in a Pokémon game. handheld consoles may as well not have had sound when I was growing up.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The only bad Pokémon games are the ones I don’t like, or haven’t played.

Black2 and White2 are objectively the best ones though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

all pokemon games except the ones i like are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only bad Pokémon is X/Y