Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Smiling Knight posted:

Beat the new map first attempt, and with the only casualties Alisa and my pet Draki. Channeled by inner Beaglerush and had everyone hide in a tower while Invincible Irene tanked three (!!!!) Destrons (probably been posted, but if you put a Draki's Fancy Scale on standard Battlemage Irene, any attack strong enough to trigger Impulse Fields will immediately give Irene a turn to attack, blow her stacked charges and heal to full). Also shoutout to Sion, the only one who could consistently damage them, and that White Mage/Rock Castle/reaction healing Anne from upthread, who kept everyone's HP up from all the incidental retaliations and swarming drones. Was an absolutely slog, worsened because I had reaction fire builds on Heixing and Giselle, which was worse than useless against all these Destrons and auto-dodging drones. But got there in the end, Blut Destron ran out of fuel with reaction shots, Schwartz eventually ate a shutdown , and the Improved Schwartz got worn down by good old Sion in the end. Ben was the last one standing, but never got within walking range of my firing line.

I was aware of the Fancy Scale/Impulse Field combo, but don't the robots' double attacks make it not work? I haven't been using it on Irene, but they when they hit my squishies who have that combo the 2nd hit always comes before I get an action. For example, I have it on Anne, who usually uses it to heal herself in the same fashion.

Anyway, I recently beat it with High-Risk High-Reward on, although I can't say it was the first try. Basically I had Alisa gain Immortality through the random Barbarian buffs on kill (this is surprisingly reliable) and tank all three robots while everyone else cleared the rest of the stage and Giselle sniped them from outside their sight range. Relying on the fact that Alisa's turn will never, ever come if she counterattacks enough, and that Berserker doesn't proc when you have 1 HP. However, I only got one down like this before some stupid thing happened where Alisa used her dash attack as a Pincer Attack with Giselle and pushed the robot towards into sight range, getting Giselle killed. I wasn't entirely sure what to do after my plan fell apart so I just waited for everyone to gather up and tried to Shutdown both of them at the same time with Hacking. Surprisingly this worked. Luckily, Sion, Anne, Irene, and sometimes Heixing (headshots) were all able to deal damage to them. I am honestly not sure why Irene could though, and in fact she was dealing the most damage?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

Could someone post a decent build for Leton? I tried to make him a Superstar, but he was pretty mediocre there (probably because I didn't learn the mechanics), and I've since tried to make him a Martial Artist tank type, but the last three runs he has been 1) Eaten by a Negoori 2) One-shot by a regular crabmit and 3) one-shot by a sniper. So that's clearly not working!

ZearothK posted:

I am going to second this, Leton is probably my weakest character right now.

This guys builds are generally really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROHzPIrgAY&t=1053s

I've been using this Leton build and it's pretty kickass. In the new mission he was going toe to toe with the improved Destron for a long time and seemed to be winning until a super lucky hit got him.

Granted my build is never going to be as good as this guys since I don't have the patience to farm materials enough to +9 everything or know if theres some easy farming method to get them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh hell yeah, this game is at a point where people are making build guide videos? I need to stop sleeping on it

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

people have been doing build guides since the game launched thanks to the mastery system

there are a couple threads on the steam forums and a dedicated build channel in the official discord

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure this game has my favorite character customisation options and build system in any RPG. It really is that good, I'd recommend it to anyone who can put in the time.

Just make sure you speed up the animations or it takes ages to get through the campaign, lol.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the mastery system would be just about perfect if unlocking a mastery meant that you obtained unlimited copies of it and didn't have to gently caress around with all the crafting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i would have less of a problem with crafting if there was just a button on the mastery set page where if you already know the combination you can be like "auto craft these missing masteries for this set"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's tedious busywork. it doesn't add any depth or useful complexity. eventually i just gave myself a few thousand of the lowest level masteries so i could craft whatever i wanted and actually experiment with builds.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Clarste posted:

I was aware of the Fancy Scale/Impulse Field combo, but don't the robots' double attacks make it not work? I haven't been using it on Irene, but they when they hit my squishies who have that combo the 2nd hit always comes before I get an action. For example, I have it on Anne, who usually uses it to heal herself in the same fashion.

Anyway, I recently beat it with High-Risk High-Reward on, although I can't say it was the first try. Basically I had Alisa gain Immortality through the random Barbarian buffs on kill (this is surprisingly reliable) and tank all three robots while everyone else cleared the rest of the stage and Giselle sniped them from outside their sight range. Relying on the fact that Alisa's turn will never, ever come if she counterattacks enough, and that Berserker doesn't proc when you have 1 HP. However, I only got one down like this before some stupid thing happened where Alisa used her dash attack as a Pincer Attack with Giselle and pushed the robot towards into sight range, getting Giselle killed. I wasn't entirely sure what to do after my plan fell apart so I just waited for everyone to gather up and tried to Shutdown both of them at the same time with Hacking. Surprisingly this worked. Luckily, Sion, Anne, Irene, and sometimes Heixing (headshots) were all able to deal damage to them. I am honestly not sure why Irene could though, and in fact she was dealing the most damage?

If Irene was on battle mage then it's probably due to a combination of magic explosion and built in resistance reduction. It gets extra absurd if you add in the mastery set for another 25% and the anti-machine bangle for another 50%. I can't remember but I think I only had 75% on mine but that was enough to one shot berserked schwarz destron.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

lil baby anime posted:

If Irene was on battle mage then it's probably due to a combination of magic explosion and built in resistance reduction. It gets extra absurd if you add in the mastery set for another 25% and the anti-machine bangle for another 50%. I can't remember but I think I only had 75% on mine but that was enough to one shot berserked schwarz destron.

Nah she's a Martial Artist, she just has tons of attack power for some reason.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's tedious busywork. it doesn't add any depth or useful complexity. eventually i just gave myself a few thousand of the lowest level masteries so i could craft whatever i wanted and actually experiment with builds.

That's true. I'm not really sure why masteries need to be items you collect.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Clarste posted:

Nah she's a Martial Artist, she just has tons of attack power for some reason.

That's true. I'm not really sure why masteries need to be items you collect.

Was she using Front Breakthrough? That move is bonkers good, it completely ignores block.

Edit: wow that video is absolutely calling me out, I kept trying to add Ice utility to Leton and it just didn't work. At least in my fiddling I was stripping more ice stuff away each iteration, but I never would have thought to look at those common masteries.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 9, 2021

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ice utility martial artist Leton IS super high value (my Leton works like that and he was one of the rocks upon which my sightread run of 54V rested, facetanked destrons like a king), but there's a lot of other things you can do for him too.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's not super obvious, but the reason the mastery system is as it is is to sustain a gameplay loop of 'make new builds, go grind to replenish stocks and get to experiment with the new builds, repeat'. I don't think it's 100% successful, but that's the intent I think. The game would work just fine if they let people go hogwild though -- Troubleshooter has some rough edges but what it does right nobody else is even trying to get down correctly, never mind succeeding at it like Dandylion does. If they lean into it and get a professional translator this is a game I think can scratch an itch for a LOT of gamers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah all in all its a really good system even if it could be smoothed out. removing some of the busywork would let new players engage with something neat easier. plus the game already has equipment crafting, which you don't need to do anything with at all but it provides a sorta gathering loop for players who would be into that. i like the sense of discovery built into masteries, whether that is finding new ones in the wild or discovering a set, though i think the later is something that could be improved too.

hopefully things go well and we eventually get the new game without a hitch since that will give them a chance to refine things. i was thinking about the activity report stuff with different jurisdictions. on one hand i do like it because its thematic thing that gets across "hey you are a business~" but can be a bit confusing for a new player and is abstract in a way that is hard to connect to. with season 2 it would make a lot more sense to tie that stuff into the building itself since albus will own it at that point.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 9, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
troubleshooter is a good & fun game with a dozen pointless abandoned gameplay elements piled on top of it. at some point they stopped with the feature creep but all that poo poo is still in there. i'm hoping the sequel hews to that trend instead of being used as a second chance to add all those half-finished systems.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
systems are part of the game's charm. and outside of shooter street i can't think of anything that is half finished feeling. pokemon, robots, and the crafting is all pretty flesh out. meal sets are just kinda there but its finished system and even has some stuff where it can interact with mastery stuff.

like i can only again think of shooter street and its thing with company rep that feels abandoned in places. and even then there is some positive stuff from that i would want carry over, i like the flavor of having convos with normal people in the district. doesn't need its own weird hub but i get what they were going for and appreciate it.
e: oh the mentions of a higher tier class is another thing

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 9, 2021

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
And even then, Shooter Street is getting finished eventually. Its goal was to be a multiplayer hub...and that's exactly the big goal Dandylion wants to deliver on. Once that system is in place, that will pay off all the lingering promises Troubleshooter still hasn't fulfilled.

(Relatedly, I am super excited for coop mode troubleshooter. Being able to play a campaign with two teams of characters, each one customized to the tastes of an individual player, seems like an actual dream)

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Wildermyth (sorta fantasy DnD XCOM-ish) multiplayer is fun even though its a bit kinda janky, so a co-op mode sounds really cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just realized that I like the craftable sets not because they are good, but because I hate gear with random stats so much.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nephthys posted:

This guys builds are generally really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROHzPIrgAY&t=1053s

I've been using this Leton build and it's pretty kickass. In the new mission he was going toe to toe with the improved Destron for a long time and seemed to be winning until a super lucky hit got him.

Granted my build is never going to be as good as this guys since I don't have the patience to farm materials enough to +9 everything or know if theres some easy farming method to get them.

Thanks! I keep meaning to check that guy's videos, but :effort: to open Youtube.

I think a lot of the stuff that doesn't quite fit in TS comes from the game's iterative development in EA. Dandy's original vision was of a primarily online game instead of a story-driven tactics game (hence why Masteries and manuals are limited resources, also why you have drops for equipment that none of your characters can use), but they ended up focusing on the narrative because that's what EA feedback told them to. I do hope that the eventual Season 2 sees them clearing up some of that stuff. I also hope that the New Game+ option they've added is the basis for people importing their saves to S2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
going back to old missions to see different dialogue for choices

ray is a fujoshi

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Troubleshooter was one of my best gaming experiences of all time (going back to early 90s), I spent some 225 hours in 2 months, which was 5 hours per day average for second month. It's pretty much my maximum in terms of time spent, particularly as I have less time to spend on games these days. Of course, starting a game with some 100 updates already done makes for a pretty polished experience with still fresh content from past months. Very addictive, and I guess it helps that I haven't burned myself out with MMOs since vanilla WoW basically.

And weirdly enough I didn't even get bored really, normally even the best of the RPGs (like Witcher 3 or Kingmaker or D:OS2) start to lose their immersion at some 100+ hours. And there's basically two different experiences within that, there's the "season 1 scenario" path which took the first 125 hours and the remaining 100 hours was a sort of "end-game experience" with the DLC and the end-game violent cases and some other challenges. I actually properly started crafting after the end of season1 so that was there too, and optimizing the mostly legendary gear for all. Alisa and Bianca were great to build from "meh" to awesome.

And I wouldn't mind playing more of fresh content for it, the only reason I stopped was because I was "done" in terms of what I personally get out of games and in this case it was clearing all the violent cases on hard and getting the gear that I wanted. This game is awesome enough for people to find new things to keep them interested, but I also want to play other games and I seem to have this mindset where I'm fixated on one game at a time.

The funny thing is that even with all that time spent, It was still such a rush that half of the time I didn't even know what I was doing in terms of masteries etc., it's such a borderline MMO experience where you can just wing it (with hard difficulty too) but it's just so far away from actually being optimized. I guess I'll just list my experience with each character:
- Albus: character-wise a bit boring but some of those mastery sets (never paid much attention what exactly) were such a joyful loop to slash and regenerate and all the counter-attacks going on...very reliable.
- Sion: he seemed to be pretty early at some 400-500% crit damage with pretty much everything a crit so he became kind of a "all or nothing" kind of guy for me, hitting for 20k or getting wrecked. Fun guy for sure.
- Irene: it's basically where the game gets good once you get her. I had my "Irene" set and a bunch of fire sets from early on which probably were a bit unoptimized for end-game but I didn't want to basically start from scratch
- Anne: yeah well, most of the mid-game was easy enough that I didn't go deep into the cleric thing with her. Didn't really get the witch thing work either, so I guess her main contribution was the occasional fun with Vindictive spirit (6 tiles)
- Heixing: right, so this guy shined particularly when I was too OP for the scenario missions. Probably didn't have a coherent build for him by the end, but he got a lot of kills for sure
- Ray: at first she felt kind of useless but her granadier range become a great thing to have and a pretty solid build
- Giselle: sniping was fun for sure. The legendary pet-mechanic became a bit too much of an obsession since I failed a lot of the taming. Ended up using Crimson Pig and Golden Molar for the most part
- Kylie: lots of mechanics, pretty versatile. Guess she got a bit overshadowed by others for the most part though. Took me until the last day of playing for her to save the day with that OP ult/SP ability in VC52
- Biance: felt squishy and bland at first but quickly became a cool murder machine
- Alisa: very nicely implemented barbarian even if I didn't understand half of what was going on.

Looking forward to the final scenario and whatever these guys do next. Massive amount of work and quality implementation behind this game.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 11, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That's pretty much how I feel about TS too. It is amazing how much post-game content there is and how interesting it stays.

I do find it amusing that you just forgot Leton during the character summary.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
superstar is a cool class and it makes up for leton being mr. "here for later story developments"
really want to see what other weird poo poo they can come up with class wise. give me poo poo like a weird split personality class where a character switches back and forth between two different mastery boards every action or something, go wild.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I do find it amusing that you just forgot Leton during the character summary.

lol
I actually do remember thinking about what to write about him and it would have been something about "not really getting a proper build, dying all the time, and actually I never learned the finale-coolness mechanics :regd09:"
I'll leave it like that though.
Most hilarious (unintended) voice acting for sure.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what is everyone's favorite song in this game and why is it finish my work?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Lots of information in the latest dev post at Steam:
- 2nd DLC coming, incl. "Misty Jäger" (rogue)
- after that, they focus on Troubleshooter season 2 - banished children :getin:
- sort of a battle arena coming for fighting mobs or other player's teams (well I'm offline but whatever :regd09: )
- final update of this DLC cycle (on dec. 6th) has the final scenario mission plus two "ordinary cases"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, pretty surprised that we're getting three new missions this Monday. Gonna be fun.

Might fool around with the battle arena a couple of times.

Wonder how long until Misty is out, they mentioned her DLC will have a smaller scope than the Witch & The Lion chapter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wonder if the mp will reward training manuals since they make it sound training mission theme
im more interested in the robot/monster fights they mention before if they ever get around to those since there is lot of neat synergies you could play around with there but never really get to engage with normally

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rogue!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
looking at the old stuff on the indiedb page is wild. maria verchenova, everyone getting age up a year or two, weird concept art of jane posing like a super model. . .

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, there is a lot of stuff that shows that they've been working on this for ages. It is also interesting to see how much characters changed since their inception, like Leton used to have a death mask painted on his face, Giselle was a fashion designer and the VHPD had rocket launchers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ZearothK posted:

like Leton used to have a death mask painted on his face

god that one is so goofy, they really should make it dlc costume eventually lmao

i wonder if maria will show up in banished children or if she will just forever be regulated to a background character now

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, there is a lot of stuff that shows that they've been working on this for ages.

How far does it go? I recall browsing through their Twitter once, that one started at 01/2016 I think, with a fairly unchanged Irene concept art etc.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
2016 is how far the indiedb stuff goes too.
https://www.indiedb.com/games/troubleshooter/articles
there is a bit with some alternative character concepts for anne

the most shocking thing of all to me is giselle being in her 20s at one point

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, their ModDB also has some stuff (probably reposts of IndieDB?), also dated at around 2016.

Finished the DLC, still have to get through the last violent case and the two ordinary cases in the last update. I enjoyed it, with the big but that the ending felt more like a setup for S2 than a proper ending.

The Clowns going all in as soldiers again worked for me. I guess S2 will have some action in the Iron Fortress, given Carter, Giselle and the Hanged Clowns are all going that way. Ray and Kylie's ending was kind of sweet. I wonder if the Misty DLC will add story missions, in which case we will probably play them without Irene, Giselle, Bianca and Alisa, given their send offs.

I am going to throw in a guess that S2 will start with only Albus and Anne in the company at first, with Irene and Sion quickly rejoining after their apprenticeships. I kind of expect the Alley party members and Kylie to disband once Heixing returns to the Fortress of Suffering and then eventually rejoin when the plot leans that way. I think Alisa and Bianca will rejoin as a reaction to the LeBlanc interests that hired the Hanged Clowns.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, their ModDB also has some stuff (probably reposts of IndieDB?), also dated at around 2016.

Finished the DLC, still have to get through the last violent case and the two ordinary cases in the last update. I enjoyed it, with the big but that the ending felt more like a setup for S2 than a proper ending.

The Clowns going all in as soldiers again worked for me. I guess S2 will have some action in the Iron Fortress, given Carter, Giselle and the Hanged Clowns are all going that way. Ray and Kylie's ending was kind of sweet. I wonder if the Misty DLC will add story missions, in which case we will probably play them without Irene, Giselle, Bianca and Alisa, given their send offs.

I am going to throw in a guess that S2 will start with only Albus and Anne in the company at first, with Irene and Sion quickly rejoining after their apprenticeships. I kind of expect the Alley party members and Kylie to disband once Heixing returns to the Fortress of Suffering and then eventually rejoin when the plot leans that way. I think Alisa and Bianca will rejoin as a reaction to the LeBlanc interests that hired the Hanged Clowns.

Just completed it as well. Clarification: was Sanson assigned to kill Hanson? If so, why — Ben seemed to be giving the latter a generous retirement plan, and I didn’t read that as fake.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

What the gently caress is Cover Move?

I can't seem to find it in their masteries, so I have no idea why some guys just plain don't take any sort of ranged damage

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

What the gently caress is Cover Move?

I can't seem to find it in their masteries, so I have no idea why some guys just plain don't take any sort of ranged damage

Ranger skill, gives huge increase to dodge when in cover. Put it on Heixing, and he and the Skull pistol guys can spend the entire mission shooting, revenge shooting, and support firing at each other without ever landing a single bullet.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Wasn't excepting the final mission to be tough :yarg: Spent some 5,5 hours on it yesterday, 2nd try was about 1k in damage from successful and ultimately wiped, 4th try was almost as frustrating but ultimately a success :circlefap: I suck big time with those destrons, every. single. time. The rest wasn't bad, even if they came all at once :regd09: (playing on hard, no checkpoints).
Any of you guys did that in "cruel and challenge mode" for the achievement? (well the achievement text says "above the cruel" but I suppose it's cruel. 0,1% for those inclined :discourse:
I think I still want to do those new "ordinary missions", haven't played ordinary ones in a while since there was so much content just from scenarios and violent cases.

Also, yesterday's session took Troubleshooter to #1 in "hours played" for me on Steam (230 hrs) past Pathfinder: Kingmaker. There's a few multiplayer games like WoW and Overwatch that I've spent (way) more hours on, but as a single-player, not so sure...especially since I very rarely play anything twice. Baldur's Gate 2 might have been around there back in the days since it was 2-3 playthroughs and the expansion.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Smiling Knight posted:

Ranger skill, gives huge increase to dodge when in cover. Put it on Heixing, and he and the Skull pistol guys can spend the entire mission shooting, revenge shooting, and support firing at each other without ever landing a single bullet.

Ah, that explains why I wasn't seeing it in masteries then, my Hexing is a Sweeper so I never ran across it.

And yeah, gently caress that last mission was tough. I was only able to clear it by running the left group over to the right as soon as the mission started, and even then it almost went tits up. Without Kylie to hack an EMP immune Destron I dunno what I would have did.