Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Story going round back then was that there were just a handful of guns on a table (later established as the plinkin' pile), and the AD grabbed the nearest one and declared it cold.

Yeah but it's Mistress Dumbass's job to establish and follow a protocol of knowing where those guns are and having them locked up when not in use. Not saying she's 100% at fault but she kinda is, so is the AD, and so is Baldwin. The amount of failure here is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

A crew member trying to break down the set got bitten by a non-union brown recluse, got sepsis and may lose an arm. Nice job Alec Baldwin

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
$8K for 21 days of work sounds pretty good. Anyone know of any armorer jobs available?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

$8K for 21 days of work sounds pretty good. Anyone know of any armorer jobs available?

i might know a guy. got any thirst trap pics i can show him?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if i were the armorer i know one thing i definitely would have done better - full suits of armor for everyone

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it seems like a lot but keep in mind it's gig economy work where you pay your own taxes (quite a lot) and also a lot of your own expenses. $8k for 21 days is....not a great rate once you set aside all that. Not for someone who has the level of responsibility an armorer is expected to have. These producers tried to save money on that line item in the budget and got what they paid for.

i'm listening to this podcast now about how they caught someone who used the gig economy system of film and tv to lure people overseas over with potential movie/tv deals and then just soak money from them, but not just one or two, a whole bunch of people being scammed pretty much constantly, enough to net over a million dollars easily:
https://www.campsidemedia.com/shows/chameleon

only sorta loosely related to the thread's subject but I thought I'd share

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 8, 2021

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Would you rather be killed by Alec Baldwin or a spider

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Would you rather be killed by Alec Baldwin or a spider

Definitely Alec Baldwin because it'd be harder for my husband to sue a spider.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Alec Baldwin is actually a giant spider

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Alec Baldwin is actually a giant spider

I loved his performance in enemy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Alec Baldwin in spider form can shoot up to 8 cinematographers simultaneously

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Fear the Arachno-Baldwin

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s easier to successfully sue a spider than a rich person hth.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whoops quoted something from 5 days ago

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/09/rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-calls-for-police-to-monitor-gun-safety-on-film-sets

Sure, make the public pay for your lovely production safety. Why not. Saves having to hire competent crew.

loving genius.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Splorange posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/09/rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-calls-for-police-to-monitor-gun-safety-on-film-sets

Sure, make the public pay for your lovely production safety. Why not. Saves having to hire competent crew.

loving genius.

Well they could just pay the cops like they do for security.

The bigger issue is that the cops will shoot more people themselves than they'll save

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Well they could just pay the cops like they do for security.

The bigger issue is that the cops will shoot more people themselves than they'll save

:hmmyes:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
It's crazy because this is the first time this type of incident has happened in the digital mass media era. I don't think a lot of people realize how much this is going to be burned into collective memory even more so than previous film industry accidents. I wonder if it will even have a subtle effect on actors' performances. The phrase "cold gun!" still has to be used when filming scenes with guns so basically anytime from now on you see a scene with a gun in it you can safely assume that all the actors just got triggered into remembering "Red October".

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Amarcarts posted:

It's crazy because this is the first time this type of incident has happened in the digital mass media era. I don't think a lot of people realize how much this is going to be burned into collective memory even more so than previous film industry accidents. I wonder if it will even have a subtle effect on actors' performances. The phrase "cold gun!" still has to be used when filming scenes with guns so basically anytime from now on you see a scene with a gun in it you can safely assume that all the actors just got triggered into remembering "Red October".

You just rebrand it to frosty firearm it something like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Splorange posted:

loving genius.

Isn't that literally the Armor's job tho? Plus knowing stuff like how much powder to put in a blank so it goes boom but not too much boom.

That seems like something that might help more with liability than safety. The cop signed off on it so we're not at fault, and the cop has immunity so he's not at fault, so nobody is at fault.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the gently caress is wrong with hollywood liberals that they still consider cops to be firearms safety experts

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
cops, infamously conservative with guns lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

punishedkissinger posted:

the gently caress is wrong with hollywood liberals that they still consider cops to be firearms safety experts

Person whose production company is about to be sued into oblivion for wrongful death now declaring the need for people with qualified immunity to have a key safety role in future productions. Wonder what could be the motivation there?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

punishedkissinger posted:

The general public somehow gained the notion that cops train actively with their firearms. When I tell people that most of them only fire their weapon for their annual qualification which is usually something like hitting the target 20 times from a distance of 7 meters they usually have trouble believing it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

edit: double post????

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i obviously haven't found Baldwin particularly sympathetic throughout all of this, but this is next level

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

43 people have died on movie sets in the last thirty years. 2 of those died in gun-related accidents. One was Halyna Hutchins. But yes, let's ban guns and force everyone to use Nerf super soakers instead.

Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese kids got decapitated on camera while filming "The Twilight Zone" movie but we still use helicopters to this day :shrug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you should also really ban any rad car stunts, they seem even more dangerous

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol “hire cops.”

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Well you know what they say about doing what you love.

The Pyrotechnics department will consist solely of pyromaniacs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'd sooner give gattling guns to meth addicts which is kind of the same thing.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Letting actors, so many of whom are drug addicts, self-centered obsessives or otherwise mentally/emotionally impaired anywhere near live ammunition is a mistake. And surely a preventable one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BigBadSteve posted:

Letting actors, so many of whom are drug addicts, self-centered obsessives or otherwise mentally/emotionally impaired anywhere near live ammunition is a mistake. And surely a preventable one.

Letting anyone near live ammunition is a mistake. ban guns forever

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dynastocles posted:

43 people have died on movie sets in the last thirty years. 2 of those died in gun-related accidents. One was Halyna Hutchins. But yes, let's ban guns and force everyone to use Nerf super soakers instead.

Vic Morrow and two Vietnamese kids got decapitated on camera while filming "The Twilight Zone" movie but we still use helicopters to this day :shrug:

The twilight zone accident quite famously lead to a poo poo ton of lawsuits and changes in safety standards and federal law.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dynastocles posted:

this is such a dumb take considering that accident also came with a wave of crew members calling for more safety on sets and this accident was a prime example of how movie sets constantly break the rules just to get the shot

it's almost like....the people who work in these conditions....are the ones more equipped to comment on if they're safe or not, over some guy who read wikipedia/saw a 2020 special

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'look, helicopters don't kill people, people kill people. seems like only 2 people I know of have died, so who cares? You pussies wanna use NERF guns!'

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

People working 14 hour days and getting a max of 5 hours of sleep probably have impaired judgement anyway. Not to the point where they can't function at all, but they definitely aren't going to be 100% after a few weeks. Real easy for standards to slip in that situation.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

People working 14 hour days and getting a max of 5 hours of sleep probably have impaired judgement anyway. Not to the point where they can't function at all, but they definitely aren't going to be 100% after a few weeks. Real easy for standards to slip in that situation.

I've handled firearms and explosives in those conditions barely without accidents.. but it was sort of the main thing we did and there was no plinking allowed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ok now I need someone on-set to declare whether this cop is hot or cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

They should make the cops check for spiders as well