Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Still sane, exile?

Edit: better quote

Gearman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Why are south facing LEDs a thing? I've been shopping around for a backlit, exploded 75%, hotswap board, but I keep finding them with south LEDs, and I expect those boards won't work well with the shine-through cap sets that I have currently.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Copper Vein posted:

Why are south facing LEDs a thing? I've been shopping around for a backlit, exploded 75%, hotswap board, but I keep finding them with south LEDs, and I expect those boards won't work well with the shine-through cap sets that I have currently.

Well north facing switches apparently can sometimes have problems with GMK caps. apparently I've never experienced this personally, but it's just another check in the box of "reasons I don't care for backlighting."

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think south-facing works OK with backlit keycaps as long as you get switches with clear tops that diffuse the light over the whole area

It won't be as bright as north facing but it should be functional enough

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I don't understand how anyone could work with a brand built on "pc gaming master race"

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Okay. So, I've run the numbers.

There's good news: A Sweet Business is in fact a lot less expensive than people think. Raw BOM cost it's about $150 per unit with no switches or caps, including 5052 Aluminum plates. That's in actual fact the cheapest option I can have done - FR4 costs *more* than 5052 from SendCutSend. I could hypothetically go cheaper with acrylic plates, but I don't like how brittle they are and I refuse to send something into the world with that compromise.

Adding switches and/or caps, of course, increases the BOM cost and adds labor for me installing the switches, which would be about $40-60 per unit. The OmniSwitch footprint I'm using is compatible with Alps, MX, and Choc switches.

That's if five people each want one, and presuming I just buy a bunch of STM32F072RBT6 Nucleo boards from Jolly Olde England via eBay, which is presently the cheapest and most available option to obtain STM32F072RBT6s.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What would be the bottom line price with switches installed, including labor, taxes, and shipping to the US?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If that's the price range for this beast count me in.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

What would be the bottom line price with switches installed, including labor, taxes, and shipping to the US?

I live in the US, and I estimate about $30 shipping all told with insurance. What kind of switches do you want, and also the government isn't currently involved in my affairs with regards to making keyboards though I appreciate you adding that wiggle room.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
These boards are soldered and not hot swap boards right?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

Okay. So, I've run the numbers.

There's good news: A Sweet Business is in fact a lot less expensive than people think. Raw BOM cost it's about $150 per unit with no switches or caps, including 5052 Aluminum plates. That's in actual fact the cheapest option I can have done - FR4 costs *more* than 5052 from SendCutSend. I could hypothetically go cheaper with acrylic plates, but I don't like how brittle they are and I refuse to send something into the world with that compromise.

Adding switches and/or caps, of course, increases the BOM cost and adds labor for me installing the switches, which would be about $40-60 per unit. The OmniSwitch footprint I'm using is compatible with Alps, MX, and Choc switches.

That's if five people each want one, and presuming I just buy a bunch of STM32F072RBT6 Nucleo boards from Jolly Olde England via eBay, which is presently the cheapest and most available option to obtain STM32F072RBT6s.

Feel free to PM me, I might be able to get you a better quote for FR4.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Exit Strategy posted:

I live in the US, and I estimate about $30 shipping all told with insurance. What kind of switches do you want, and also the government isn't currently involved in my affairs with regards to making keyboards though I appreciate you adding that wiggle room.

MX clears in my case most likely, I'm a man of simple tastes. I'm on the fence so will bow out if 5 others are in but man that thing is cool

What software would you use to control what the switches/knobs do, I might be in over my head here

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Eric the Mauve posted:

MX clears in my case most likely, I'm a man of simple tastes. I'm on the fence so will bow out if 5 others are in but man that thing is cool

What software would you use to control what the switches/knobs do, I might be in over my head here

I'll get a price on the clears. As for software, QMK will have the firmware for the board as soon as my pull request is cleared. After that, it's just making a new keymap from the default and changing your inputs there for the knobs. The switches and macro blocks report as joystick buttons, so anything like joy2key will work.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Sign me up for a pcb, alu plate, and whatever microcontroller you’ve built it on. Finally something to compete with my HB85. I’ll probably end up CNC’ing out a case from some extra cherry or walnut I’ve got lying around.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

Unless it's pudding, where did you find a 75% compatible shine-through set?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
YMDK Carbon Miami

Not great. But no fitment issues with the RK84 I bought.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Just saw this, thank you!

e: now if only i could get the loving knob off this stupid gmmk pro so i could 3d print some dumb bullshit to replace it with

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 8, 2021

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If a switch is lightly factory lubed (spring, stem, and housing, from the look of these TTC Bluish-Whites), do you need to completely remove that before adding your own, or can you just lube over it? And if you do have to remove it, any suggestions for that process?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Is GMMK the only full size hot swappable boards in ISO layout?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kestral posted:

If a switch is lightly factory lubed (spring, stem, and housing, from the look of these TTC Bluish-Whites), do you need to completely remove that before adding your own, or can you just lube over it? And if you do have to remove it, any suggestions for that process?

Nah not really, it'll be fine. You just need to wipe it off with a cloth if you want to remove it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Boz0r posted:

Keychron has one, if you count 96% as full size

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k4-wireless-mechanical-keyboard-uk-iso-layout-version-2

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 8, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Boz0r posted:

Ducky just announced a new range of hotswap boards: https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Keyboards/One3-Series

No mention of ISO on the website yet but it seems like it's planned.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Llamadeus posted:

Ducky just announced a new range of hotswap boards: https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Keyboards/One3-Series

👀

I wonder if they'll be programmable...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm surprised it took this long for Ducky to go hotswap, with soldered switches they had a ludicrous number of SKUs for every colour/switch/language combination

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Llamadeus posted:

Wow, those sure are yellow.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Boz0r posted:

Wow, those sure are yellow.

And keycap ripoffs

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've sent PMs to the first five people to express interest in a Sweet Business. It's my impostor syndrome telling me that after this run I shouldn't do like a proper group buy, right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Exit Strategy posted:

I've sent PMs to the first five people to express interest in a Sweet Business. It's my impostor syndrome telling me that after this run I shouldn't do like a proper group buy, right?

It may just be my own biases, but because the high end keeb market is so absolutely chock loving full of the same remix of tiny as gently caress board, it feels like there's room for an IBM Battlestation tier full size board to get a ton of interest.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gwaihir posted:

It may just be my own biases, but because the high end keeb market is so absolutely chock loving full of the same remix of tiny as gently caress board, it feels like there's room for an IBM Battlestation tier full size board to get a ton of interest.
Like this?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105440.0

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:swoon:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

looks loving dope. drat.

reminds me of my EPIC unicomp tkl

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

I am fully absolutely going to shill the gently caress out of that board on Reddit and Geekhack.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Exit Strategy posted:

I'm sure there will be plenty of people both on Geekhack and Keebtalk that would be interested in something unique like this. Whether you personally want to deal with the logistics, handling, shipping, QC, etc. is entirely up to you :)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I had been using an Acer KU-0760 since it came out in late 2016 and recently, its spacebar stopped registering. I've been waiting for it to die so I can get a replacement anyway.

While I do play a few games on PC, I'm not a particular intense gamer and I prefer to play most games on a controller anyway. But I do write for a living, so I need something that's comfortable to type with and is ideally an ISO layout, since that's what I'm used to. I don't personally mind the overly clicky blue switches, but I would find them distracting and I live in a house with others, and I do most of my writing at night, when everyone else has gone to bed. I've been told that I'd probably prefer brown switches the most but my local computer retailer didn't have any examples handy.

Cost isn't really an issue, but I also don't need a ton of extra buttons or any fancy bells and whistles. I don't need any fancy RGB nonsense but I don't mind if I can just turn them off. If possible, I'd prefer to buy off Newegg since they accept Paypal. And finally, I'd strongly prefer a wired keyboard.

I'm looking through Newegg's options and the Rosewill RK-9000V2 or the Akko 3087 might be good fits for me, but I'd like to know what the thread thinks, since you're all more knowledgeable about keyboards than I am.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

looks loving dope. drat.

reminds me of my EPIC unicomp tkl

They put a loving CROSS cursor pad.. i'm going to throw a fit (not really). Why do that to anyone?! It's pure torture. I remember... I really do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

redeyes posted:

They put a loving CROSS cursor pad.. i'm going to throw a fit (not really). Why do that to anyone?! It's pure torture. I remember... I really do.

It looks like the arrow blockers can be moved around to make a cross or conventional arrow pad, or not installed at all to make a full 3x5 grid

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

What do people use all the extra keys for? My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer with extra macro keys, but I never knew what to use them for.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boz0r posted:

What do people use all the extra keys for? My first mechanical keyboard was a Razer with extra macro keys, but I never knew what to use them for.

Whatever you want, really. Depending on the keyboard and how you program it, they can be single keystrokes or even chains of keystrokes (typically called macros). When I was briefly using a keyboard with F13-F24 I made some of them media playback keys to control winamp or whatever. In games that take keyboard inputs you can bind commonly used key combinations or make macros with the keyboard to perform actions over and over. Macros were popular with text based muds back in the day but plenty of modern games still let you do a bunch of keys to do things. In ultima online I used to bind different spells to some of the additional keys on my unicomp ultra so I could have easy access to summon demon or blade spirit which weren't used a whole lot but when you needed them you often needed them right now.

For a more modern example I currently play Planetside 2 and there's in game voice with different voice channels for local talk, squad talk, command chat, etc. The default binds are on the number keys but you could put them anywhere. They also have slash commands to do a lot of shortcuts for squad and platoon management that are slower with the GUI (plus you have to stop shooting people to open the interface and click around).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Boz0r posted:

I do a lot of 3270 and 5250 terminal work for, well, work, and having dedicated f13-24 keys is really nice in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

It looks like the arrow blockers can be moved around to make a cross or conventional arrow pad, or not installed at all to make a full 3x5 grid

Now we are talking. I assume the cost is about a grand.. drat, that is one sexy keyboard!