Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i'm convinced Brooding Mawlek is my bogey boss. i could probably get to youtuber-levels of good at the game and still suck at Brooding Mawlek

Heh, I recently started a brand new game and snuck down there and beat him as the first boss ahead of False Knight. You have to pogo over his head as soon as you notice him winding up for the massive slime attack. The rest of it is just dodging his jumps and not getting to greedy in attacking him cause he’ll swipe at you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

winged nosk is pretty easy to not take damage on with some practice, basically need to be ready to react quickly to 1 specific move and give more clearance to hitboxes than you'd think. sort of like a nightmare king vengefly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't Nosk really easy? Is he the one that has an arena that has a raised flat level in most of the middle and a small area one step down on the sides? And you just stand against the level on one side and whack him, then run to the other and repeat? And he basically can't hit you if you do this?

It's been a while so I'm probably forgetting something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
nosk gets some new tricks in the final pantheon, such as, notably, a flat stage

not really too tricky overall but being so late into it makes it annoying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They added in new attacks for Nosk in one of the updates so you can't just cheese him like that, since his new attacks can still hit you there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't Nosk really easy? Is he the one that has an arena that has a raised flat level in most of the middle and a small area one step down on the sides? And you just stand against the level on one side and whack him, then run to the other and repeat? And he basically can't hit you if you do this?

It's been a while so I'm probably forgetting something.

Nosk doesn't have crazy damage but he moves kind of unpredictably and with less obvious tells than many of the other bosses in the game. It used to be even worse, they adjusted him in a patch to be more readable.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Nosk used to be very easy but he was changed so that even the regular Nosk fight is much harder and you can't just hide in a safe spot. Traitor Lord also got a revamp. Both are much harder than they were at launch. IMO Traitor Lord is now too hard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Assuming we use normal objects in the setting for scale, what would a perfectly sized little Hollow Knight be? 2 inches? An inch and a half?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Assuming we use normal objects in the setting for scale, what would a perfectly sized little Hollow Knight be? 2 inches? An inch and a half?

8 feet tall.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bust Rodd posted:

How loving big do you think bugs are?

He's like 1/2 an inch at most.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

I saw someone with their toddler in a HK costume and it was the most perfect, cutest thing???

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

8 feet tall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

guppy posted:

Nosk used to be very easy but he was changed so that even the regular Nosk fight is much harder and you can't just hide in a safe spot. Traitor Lord also got a revamp. Both are much harder than they were at launch. IMO Traitor Lord is now too hard.

maybe i was getting him confused with Broken Vessel

also no way, new Traitor Lord owns and the old version could be defeating just by bouncing on his head (it's still a pretty strong strat against him it just doesn't trivialize the entire fight any more)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I always figured they're anthropomorphic bugs so they're human sized. It's funny to think about the Radiance getting trodden on by a passing walker though

e: and new traitor lord was a bit much imo, didn't need to do double damage as well as the mechanics revamp

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
traitor lord should be a hard bastard to an extent because he guards half the kingsoul

that said I pretty easily sharp shadowed his rear end, though i did manage to die twice during the final hit meaning I saw cloth die three times

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Traitor Lord must've just clicked for me because I beat him first time without much trouble. The double damage makes him more threatening but none of his attacks are at all difficult to dodge aside from that big shockwave thing, which is really well telegraphed.

And yeah Traitor Lord is a late game boss at the end of one of the more difficult areas of the game, so should be difficult imo

unrelated also, I'm pretty sure team cherry confirmed that the knight is genderless

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all the king’s spawn are genderless except hornet, hence “gendered child”

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Marmu is a puss moth caterpillar, max length 3 inches. Eyeballing it, the vessel- feet to horn tips- is a little bigger than the radius of a rolled-up marmu, so let's go with the vessel is just over half an inch tall. If we assume that the hollow knight when chained up is at it max length, it's about 4 times the height of the vessel. So a little taller than 2 inches is a good estimate for THK irl.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 10, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BioThermo posted:

Marmu is a puss moth caterpillar, max length 3 inches. Eyeballing it, the vessel- feet to horn tips- is a little bigger than the radius of a rolled-up marmu, so let's go with the vessel is just over half an inch tall. If we assume that the hollow knight when chained up is at it max length, it's about 4 times the height of the vessel. So a little taller than 2 inches is a good estimate for THK irl.

Marmu is 12 feet long.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow! I’ve had my 106% save file on my Switch for a while (years) but tonight I finally set aside the time to gently caress around with different charm loadout and took down NKG! I really hit a hot flow, no damage for the first 3 phases. The only thing I never got a sense for is when he would either dash forward and I could punish him or when he would spider-step backwards and punish me, never figured out that tell. Really got me jazzed up to try a speed run or something, maybe try my hand at some Godhome?

Game of My Life, Hollow Knight

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

made it to the absolute for real true final boss of pantheon 5, now at least I have the practice mode unlocked

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:cheerdoge: you got this

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

made it to the absolute for real true final boss of pantheon 5, now at least I have the practice mode unlocked

I tried to find a gif of the people in dragon ball praying to power up goku's spirit bomb to tell you how we're all feeling. Anyways I couldn't find it and got bored and forgot to post: but you got this.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It feels like Absolute Radiance is way harder than its normal form, moreso than the upgraded forms that other bosses get. Even Pure Vessel has a pretty easy rhythm to figure out, like Mantis Lords but with fewer openings. Absolute Radiance is a much longer fight, with a lot more randomness, and a lot more "gently caress you you're dead" moves, and a lot more platforming

I worked through beating every boss on Radiant, and Absolute Radiance took probably 10x longer than all of the others combined. It's a drat hard fight.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

b_d posted:

:cheerdoge: you got this

Arrhythmia posted:

I tried to find a gif of the people in dragon ball praying to power up goku's spirit bomb to tell you how we're all feeling. Anyways I couldn't find it and got bored and forgot to post: but you got this.

aww :kimchi:

well I've gotten to the final phase a few times and can... somewhat reliably get out the final destination opening bits into the floating platforms fight section

sometimes I just straight up can't see the attacks with all the lens glare and what not, or if they layer over each other

and while the boss intro is super duper cool, I do wish you could skip it in the practice mode (or can you?)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

aww :kimchi:

well I've gotten to the final phase a few times and can... somewhat reliably get out the final destination opening bits into the floating platforms fight section

sometimes I just straight up can't see the attacks with all the lens glare and what not, or if they layer over each other

and while the boss intro is super duper cool, I do wish you could skip it in the practice mode (or can you?)

The final phase can be pretty consistently done by getting above Radiance and pogoing at the top of the screen. I found that pogoing twice, then double jumping and air dashing towards wherever he ends up after teleporting to be the safest way to dodge the orbs and reposition yourself, but you can sneak in more attacks if you're careful or have lots of health. The orbs seem to despawn if they fly off the top of the screen.

You got this!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I have a friend who spent 19 hours on attempts at radiant Markoth and I'm pretty sure he would have kept going if he hadn't succeeded. I would like you to know I admire his perseverance

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Well beat it on practice (e; 3 times now!)

kind of funny cause I got hit and fell into the void at the same time as the finishing strike and I didn't know how much health I had so I thought I died

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 14, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Well beat it on practice (e; 3 times now!)

kind of funny cause I got hit and fell into the void at the same time as the finishing strike and I didn't know how much health I had so I thought I died

Noice. my goalpost before i did the real thing was beating it twice consecutively on ascended. Still flubbed it once though.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol i got to like a 40% win rate on normal and went back to pantheon attempts until i got it. i think i got pretty lucky.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

You guys are nuts. I did it five times in a row ascended before even trying a second time in the pantheon lol

Maybe I overprepared.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I prepared less for AbsRad, but did the first 4 pantheons with each binding and got crazy good at PV. Rolling up to the final fight with 5 extra masks and full soul was enough leeway to embrace the void.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Working through the bindings makes a big difference, the extra masks are a nice perk but the bindings themselves are also a really good way to work on your reflexes and to explore other ways to beat each boss. I definitely made some new realizations about better ways to tackle certain fights

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I DID IT!!!!!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

con:cheers::cheerdoge::cheersbird::synthy::cool::coolfish::respek::coolslime::coolspot::smugbird:grats

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I DID IT!!!!!

:stoked:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Congratulations! Did everything just click for you that run?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

I DID IT!!!!!

:carol:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/guohoho/status/1439137976525672451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011