Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's a big lad who generally dresses well enough to hide it, but comparing those pics of him at the hospital to the topless pap shots of him on holiday I'm seriously beginning to suspect a bit of corsetry going on.

Big fat gently caress who eats takeaway, despite access to decent chefs, washed down with a bottle of Gordons Gin everyday? The picture of health.
+ all his facial features are set at -20 degrees too with a +3 caveman brow.

I have no idea how anyone votes for him, he looks like a loving mutant.

Oh: I got top if the page: 29 is a series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8370368/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's a big lad who generally dresses well enough to hide it, but comparing those pics of him at the hospital to the topless pap shots of him on holiday I'm seriously beginning to suspect a bit of corsetry going on.

Perhaps he's sucking his stomach in as hard as possible?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My revulsion for Johnson knows no bounds. He is unspeakably unspeakable. ^^ this comment is unrelated to the comment above, I've been working on how many words for vile I can come up with to describe it, the thing, for some minutes now.

I have to admit that i go full: "ending them and all their siblings genetic line" when i think of Tory MPs.... but those are just daydreams.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1457827954919198733

And I'm too lazy to go back to find who it was who suggested this....

... but thank you. I'm two days in, and can't recommend it enough.

Put this in your ublock custom filter list and you will also not see that annoying message.

somethingawful.com##.ignored

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gove is making a concerted attempt to appear on the right side of history, which I guess indicates he's going to be stabbing Boris in the back any day now.

https://twitter.com/hairychesters/status/1457975652142002178

His Divine Shadow posted:

Put this in your ublock custom filter list and you will also not see that annoying message.

Thanks for the handy tip :)

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

fuctifino posted:

Gove is making a concerted attempt to appear on the right side of history, which I guess indicates he's going to be stabbing Boris in the back any day now.

Came here to post this, maneuvers very much under way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rare photo of Michael Gove confronting Boris Johnson in his redecorated apartment

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Zalakwe posted:

Came here to post this, maneuvers very much under way.

Found another one. Possible astroturf account too https://twitter.com/CladdingForAll/status/1457986933024493570

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Boris comes across as a Big Bloke but he's 5'9".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

To the surprise of nobody, DWP deliberately conspired with Tory media to build a “hostile environment” against benefit claimants - at least there are people coming forward about this now.

quote:

One interviewee, who worked at a Jobcentre Plus (JCP) branch, explained how staff were encouraged to treat applicants with “disrespect” in an effort to limit the number of people claiming welfare by “pushing them until they either just cleared off because they couldn’t take the pressure or they got sanctioned”.

Another JCP employee reported that several team members wanted to antagonise applicants in the hope of pressuring them into withdrawing their cases.

Additionally, the researchers were informed of how administrators pushed DWP employees into forcing disabled individuals to look for work, even when those applicants were clearly unable to work.

One Work Programme provider worker decsribed how they had met a “lovely person with mental health problems” and due to top-down pressures was left reluctant to offer relevant help and support. The claimant later attempted suicide.

They added: “I also had another lady who we pushed into work and it made her that ill she had a fit in her new job and was admitted to hospital.”

:guillotine:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

In which direction?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's a typo. I think they meant he's a 5.9

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

Yeah but those are 2 separate measurements

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lungboy posted:

he’s basically the same height as that kid he mullered playing rugby

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

You can make yourself look taller by surrounding yourself with smaller people and fuckbarrelling into them

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I’ve just bought a house where the previous owner had some debt issues and the house has a prepayment electricity meter. It’s such a scam!

The charges are higher than a standard meter. Most of the places you can top don’t take card, or charge anywhere up to £1 extra for a card payment. And they’re always in areas with bad access to cash points so if there is a cash point available it’ll be one that charges a quid to withdraw. And this is all for people who are struggling with debt or don’t have good credit for a regular meter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Welcome to lovely boots world, Samuel.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

His Divine Shadow posted:

Do this and you won't see quotes from that user either
code:
forums.somethingawful.com##.postbody > .bbc-block:-abp-contains(A_USERNAME)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’ve just bought a house where the previous owner had some debt issues and the house has a prepayment electricity meter. It’s such a scam!

The charges are higher than a standard meter. Most of the places you can top don’t take card, or charge anywhere up to £1 extra for a card payment. And they’re always in areas with bad access to cash points so if there is a cash point available it’ll be one that charges a quid to withdraw. And this is all for people who are struggling with debt or don’t have good credit for a regular meter.

And the ones with 'keys' (I don't know if that is all of them now?), I've seen despairing posts from people in our local facebook groups whose electricity has run out and they can't get a top up on their key anywhere especially over long bank holidays eg Xmas. One women with young kids I recall being without any electricity for 5 days because there was nowhere to top up the key.
(Don't ask me how the top up mechanism works, I have no idea. I have some idea they have to stick it in a paypoint machine or some such.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

To the surprise of nobody, DWP deliberately conspired with Tory media to build a “hostile environment” against benefit claimants - at least there are people coming forward about this now.

:guillotine:

It works in fairness to them. My GP was like "hey we could apply for *whatever they call ESA now/whenever this was, I forget*" & I just noped out of it, could not face those cunts.

It should be a much bigger outrage but it won't be. It'd be genuinely more humane to euthanise the long-term unemployed than this cruel demonization & sanctions regime until people kill themselves or starve to death.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And the ones with 'keys' (I don't know if that is all of them now?), I've seen despairing posts from people in our local facebook groups whose electricity has run out and they can't get a top up on their key anywhere especially over long bank holidays eg Xmas. One women with young kids I recall being without any electricity for 5 days because there was nowhere to top up the key.
(Don't ask me how the top up mechanism works, I have no idea. I have some idea they have to stick it in a paypoint machine or some such.)

It seems like newer ones are smart meters which are connected to the web so you could top up online or over the phone. Mine is an older one so you have to take the key to a shop to get it topped up. My nearest was shut this morning so I walked all the way there and then had to walk another 3/4 mile to get to the next shop!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, it takes a very special kind of mind to come up with something less useful and more degrading than the old coin meter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if the keys were stored in a wallet on the cloud, and then there was some kind of blockchain where by solving cryptographic hashes your phone could virtually turn the thing on the front of the meter that makes the coins drop in?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Poors can solve the hashes by

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Hm internet based services require

(1) a router that probably needs the mains so if you're electricity is out so is the router or
(2) a smart phone with data that is charged and ready to go so if you've used all the battery up and the 'leccie is out, so is the phone.
(3) if your 'leccie is out, and your router/wifi is out, but your phone is charged, to live in a location which actually has a mobile phone data signal which many places round my way do not have

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

sinky posted:

Poors can solve the hashes by

Never made the connection that would be where the word came from.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

What if the keys were stored in a wallet on the cloud, and then there was some kind of blockchain where by solving cryptographic hashes your phone could virtually turn the thing on the front of the meter that makes the coins drop in?

When you get the key you get a free Lazy Lion picture "worth" $3,000. Well, technically it's a screenshot of the Lazy Lion but what's the difference?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The inevitable has come to pass:

https://twitter.com/sex_peston/status/1457840814630047751

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We Forgot.

https://twitter.com/selmerulesagain/status/1457856183352668169

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Flux Wildly posted:

Never made the connection that would be where the word came from.

That style was specifically a Victorian invention for punishment. Tread *wheels* - think giant hamster wheel - are useful prime movers that have been used since at least Ancient Greece which maximise the mechanical advantage and will have a neutral spot where it's possible to rest.

The tread mill both minimises the mechanical advantage (because often they were just connected to a dead load) and is as un-ergonomic as possible (the two main styles either had ladder-style rungs a foot apart, forcing you to climb, or stair-type treads that were horizontal about 30 degrees from the top of the wheel which forced you into a quick shuffle) and of course made it impossible to rest for even a second.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain immediately after ending slavery "what if we did the same thing but useless?"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think Boris purposefully went to a hospital without a mask while the debate about corruption was happening because he wanted to draw attention away from the corruption....

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1458007649031704577

I'm not sure it's benefited him though.

And the spotlight on corruption is expanding.

https://twitter.com/MikeHolden42/status/1458023852290809862

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Your avatar is my reaction to this.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1457995947582054406

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Britain immediately after ending slavery "what if we did the same thing but useless?"

The "best" bit is that Millbank Prison (on the site of the Tate and the Millbank Tower of New Labour fame) actually had a tread wheel too, used for pumping out sewage and flood water, because the tread mill was *so* inefficient that even with 20 men on it it didn't provide the same torque as one man in a tread wheel.

They also used them in some workhouses too but then that was probably a much kinder option than the kind of poo poo they used to make people do in them otherwise.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Check out this incredibly cursed company I found while doing some investigative stuff at work today:

KARLMARX HOLDINGS LIMITED

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Check out this incredibly cursed company I found while doing some investigative stuff at work today:

MI5 got you searching for the head of Antifa?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

MI5 got you searching for the head of Antifa?

I'm on the hunt for Karl Marx's gold. Which is in Barnsley.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Apparently it's Gender Day as part of the COP26 focusing on the disproportionate effect that climate uncertainty will have on women and girls.

Of course, on UK twitter this means it has currently been taken over by terves saying that gender day doesn't exist and where is sex day, and now I also want to hide on the British Virgin Islands.

:hmmyes:

e: vvv :golfclap:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Looking at the documents it looks like it was founded by two guys called Karl and Mark. Looks like Mark left the about a year later, so without Marksist influence they'll presumably be staking a claim for the Spanish throne.