Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Blue On Blue posted:

I hope this doesn’t sound too strange to point out

But did anyone else notice that’s the same room they posted the “proof of life” video from , when Chris was still living in LA ?

I thought he moved to the UK to finish SQ42

Or maybe he’s just commuting every weekend on private jets

The backers will never know :grin:

There is an English voice in the clip saying "Wot yer doin'?"

(he doesn't know wot e's doin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Aww c'mon... really? How many times have people predicted doom and gloom because of a mechanic or bug they don't like, poor frame rates, or because things are not progressing as fast as they would like? It's never happened.

CIG are already into their second highest year ever of funding, they could make this patch sheer dogshit and they would still be ahead. They will easily break $60 Million this month, they are at $56.5 million now. We will definitely break $400 million before the month is out - Guinness Book of Records for the 9th year running. They made $17 million last November and this IAE has more ships to show off, we also have a significant number of new social media influencers than last year, many of whom had established viewers already. Look at the extras for referral bonuses this month. Sit Tony Z in front a camera and have another Xenothreat in December and they are laughing especially if this time it includes ground combat, throw in a couple of teaser S42 screen grabs, it's major bank... again.

We haven't even had the IAE yet or any holiday sales, 3 new ships coming to the Alpha at least one of which will be a Xenothreat crowd pleaser... and probably more 'unannounced' - Wooo shinies! $70+ Million this year is extremely likely. While there is a possibility of server meshing, whale watching tours, microTech bear hunting, the Aaron Halo, Pyro, Nyx and Squadron 42 Episode One release late next year in time for the 10th anniversary it will break all records and smash it. Do you think they are planning on putting the Hull C into the game in time for New Year to do milk runs around Stanton?

I'm betting on no slow down, no matter what the doomsayers think. 3.16 is coming, and next year is going to be absolutely crazy.

"90 days tops!"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
"The company is making a lot of money, therefore the game will be fine!"

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I'm a fan of Elite: Dangerous too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkQW8A0CAs
(17 seconds vid.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

I hope this doesn’t sound too strange to point out

But did anyone else notice that’s the same room they posted the “proof of life” video from , when Chris was still living in LA ?

I thought he moved to the UK to finish SQ42

Or maybe he’s just commuting every weekend on private jets

The backers will never know :grin:

Just like he always wears the same clothes he has multiple copies of that room in different places.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/yGuy4gW.mp4

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

They've gotten all tangled up with what 'emergent gameplay' even means.

That came from a self-confessed Elite Dangerous player. That's the crowd which considers that using Fuel Limpets to refuel other players is emergent gameplay. When that is the only thing you can do with fuel limpets, since they have no other function and NPCs have infinite fuel.

I mean, maybe if they didn't blow up when you bump into them, you could use a fuel limpet as a football and make some sort of zero-g rocket league, which would actually fall into the emergent category.

But no. Using stuff to do what it was designed to do, in the only way it can be used, that's the epitome of emergent gameplay for the ED crowd. No wonder the dude feels that it would be emergent gameplay to be stranded in a lift if the developers intentionally designed the lift so that players could be stranded inside it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
"Emergent gameplay" is one of those terms that had a crystal-clear, unmistakable meaning, and over the years has degenerated into a completely meaningless marketing buzzword. Sort of what Gears 5 did to the term "open world" because of two maps that are slightly bigger and require a vehicle to move between points of interest. I think fighting terminology decay is a losing battle. Even the original terminology for "nerf" and "holy trinity" in the MMO space is not even close to what it was. It's fine for words to change over time I guess, but when you do that, what do you call the original thing when it's done properly? If "emergent gameplay" now means anything at all, what do you call actual emergent gameplay? There's a watering down going on over time in entertainment with terminology and tropes and I think it's negatively affecting how developers conceptualize what they're making.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

"Emergent Gameplay" is what Chris Roberts does with the money that he takes from a project that now has 20 times the budget he first asked for yet still has not completed after 10 years.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Drakkel posted:

"The company is making a lot of money, therefore the game will be fine!"

Ah the Enron defence

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

Snot kittizen :3:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And that's the original footage of the outbreak of Catvid-21 that ended Humanity (But not Star Citizen development).

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishMcCool posted:

That came from a self-confessed Elite Dangerous player. That's the crowd which considers that using Fuel Limpets to refuel other players is emergent gameplay. When that is the only thing you can do with fuel limpets, since they have no other function and NPCs have infinite fuel.

I mean, maybe if they didn't blow up when you bump into them, you could use a fuel limpet as a football and make some sort of zero-g rocket league, which would actually fall into the emergent category.

But no. Using stuff to do what it was designed to do, in the only way it can be used, that's the epitome of emergent gameplay for the ED crowd. No wonder the dude feels that it would be emergent gameplay to be stranded in a lift if the developers intentionally designed the lift so that players could be stranded inside it.

I believe limpet controller was added upon request of the players, but not 100 % sure. It has been added with other types, so it was possibly Frontier's idea (before the limpets you had to catch ore chunks via cargo hatch, must've been awful, tbh).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This man's posture is the purest imitation of Hans Moleman I've ever seen.

That's what happens when you carry the weight of a $400M(?) project.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

That's what happens when you carry the weight of a $400M(?) project.

Or perhaps its just a guilty conscience weighing him down?!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

What you are describing is how we rationalize how games are made today - that doesn't make it right.

I'd argue, having gamed since PC gaming was first a thing (I'm old), that technology doesn't evolve nearly as fast as it used to, yet when technology improved by magnitudes, it used to be that key developers would release passion projects that pushed all the envelopes - and not just tech, but story telling and gameplay fun and system depth and overall fidelity.

Then consolification happened; design games to run on powerhouse PCs .... and (albeit powerful, though static, so less powerful relatively by the minute) gaming appliances. This was the death knell for the golden age of innovative PC gaming. Games had to be dumbed down to support a controller, rather than have 15 pages of natively supported keybinds. Just one example.

Give me the dreamer, and then give that dreamer the time they need to do with modern technology what they used to do when the technology challenges weren't as dense. Don't do it because it's easy - do it precisely because it is hard.

I'll throw ridiculous money and support at that. I'm not alone.

And as I play 3.15, my hope flares like a volcano in the night. They aren't just SAYING they are doing it; they are DELIVERING IT to my hands so I can validate directly that they are indeed doing it. But I get that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's OK. For me? God drat, nothing hits like SC right now, and it's just getting started! There's hope for our gaming future!

quote:

Depends - I can't think of many games that would required everything SC is producing, simply because part of the point of SC is to blow existing scope limits out the water...

However, I think a lot of what CIG are doing is relevant, yes. E.g. imagine an MMO Skyrim style game (well, I guess that would be Elder Scrolls Online :p) with no loading screens, proper-sized buildings, and the Unified Animation System (coupled with actually spending time on the animations)?

You could probably throw the 64bit Coords and PG Planet tech in there too - even if it plays out in just a single country, supporting a larger map (to accomodate the larger buildings too) would both help emphasise the scale, and avoid the 'walking across the country in 20 mins' scenarios, etc (and provide more benefit / purpose to actually using mounts)

And if you wanted to get wild, you could also use the Multiple Physics Grids for some really cool locations and/or magic spells, etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

However, I think a lot of what CIG are doing is relevant, yes. E.g. imagine an MMO Skyrim style game (well, I guess that would be Elder Scrolls Online :p) with no loading screens, proper-sized buildings, and the Unified Animation System (coupled with actually spending time on the animations)?

You could probably throw the 64bit Coords and PG Planet tech in there too - even if it plays out in just a single country, supporting a larger map (to accomodate the larger buildings too) would both help emphasise the scale, and avoid the 'walking across the country in 20 mins' scenarios, etc (and provide more benefit / purpose to actually using mounts)

I like it how, on one hand, they don't want to spend 10 seconds looking at a loading screen but, on the other, they want to spend hours walking doing nothing.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

There is an English voice in the clip saying "Wot yer doin'?"

(he doesn't know wot e's doin)

I can also faintly make out a chimney sweep exclaiming "Wot's all this then, guvna?" in the background.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

quote:

We will definitely break $400 million before the month is out - Guinness Book of Records for the 9th year running.

Not sure if this is OP quoting an old post but even $400m in 9 years is not a Guinness world record to be proud of.

I could piss up a rope and come back with about the same amount of content

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Scruffpuff posted:

It's fine for words to change over time I guess, but when you do that, what do you call the original thing when it's done properly? If "emergent gameplay" now means anything at all, what do you call actual emergent gameplay? There's a watering down going on over time in entertainment with terminology and tropes and I think it's negatively affecting how developers conceptualize what they're making.

Ludonarrative dissonance.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Mirificus posted:

quote:

You could probably throw the 64bit Coords and PG Planet tech in there too - even if it plays out in just a single country

I guess this is why theaters of fart have such a great performance. Nothing like wasting resources creating whole planet when actual game takes place in a single skyrim sized crater

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I searched Guinness World Records page for "star citizen" and some of those records are just laughable and clearly bought by some idiot whale.

*not flyable

"Record verified via the biggest MMO games websites, predominantly EVE Online and Star Citizen." :lol:

just wtf

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

just wtf

This is the silliest possible brag. All models these days have huge amounts of polygons, especially organic ones, because they are done with Z-Brush or whatever. But competent studios bake the fine detail into normal maps. But SC needs every screw to be a high res model.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
"Largest flyable ship in star citizer" is sure some world record. It is like "fastest car in GTA 4" or "monster with most HP in Doom". If this was a game where you build spaceships then okay maybe

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

commando in tophat posted:

"Largest flyable ship in star citizer" is sure some world record. It is like "fastest car in GTA 4" or "monster with most HP in Doom". If this was a game where you build spaceships then okay maybe

"Largest number assigned to a integer variable"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

"Largest number assigned to a integer variable"

And because they scale every object down to be able to get around the engine limitations, the ship is actually only 1 cm long.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Games had to be dumbed down to support a controller, rather than have 15 pages of natively supported keybind

:staredog:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shhh, don't point out Derek's alt!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

These days games don't even provide keyboard overlays!

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Some Citizens have started creating NFTs of their screenshots. There's a few cOlLeCtiOnS on opensea.io. Sadly noone has bid for any of the screenshots yet

https://opensea.io/collection/star-citizen-universe-captures
https://opensea.io/collection/star-citizen-screenshots-4k
https://opensea.io/collection/star-citizen-game-screenshots

I wonder why who wouldn't want to own a link to this screenshot for example

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

And even then the biggest spaceship thing should probably go to like Space Engineers because you can build some pretty big spaceships there.

Haven't tried it myself but it looks pretty fun and now I'm worried that I might buy another space game

chadbear posted:

Some Citizens have started creating NFTs of their screenshots. There's a few cOlLeCtiOnS on opensea.io. Sadly noone has bid for any of the screenshots yet

loving lol at this holy moly. I mean NFTs do seem like a natural evolution for the worst of Star Citizen fans.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I once made a cube in Blender that I declared to be a million gillion bazillion miles long, and then I imagined what it would be like in star citizen, where's my world record

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

These days games don't even provide keyboard overlays!

This keyboard is amazing, I have so many questions, I want to try all the buttons. There is a button for PI? Something that looks like layout on each letter key? Colors as alt on numbers? Too bad the keyboard is older than me, it looks super good

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I once made a cube in Blender that I declared to be a million gillion bazillion miles long, and then I imagined what it would be like in star citizen, where's my world record

Is it a flyable cube? How many millions of polygons? How many bathrooms? Does it have kitchen?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

This keyboard is amazing, I have so many questions, I want to try all the buttons. There is a button for PI? Something that looks like layout on each letter key? Colors as alt on numbers? Too bad the keyboard is older than me, it looks super good

Is it a flyable cube? How many millions of polygons? How many bathrooms? Does it have kitchen?

It's not just a keyboard it's the whole computer a Commodore 64 from the days when the computer and the keyboard were often combined.

The colour keys are the 1st 8 colours available of the 16 colours supported by the VIC-II graphics chip.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 9, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

How many millions of polygons?
Probably only 12. But simple cube in SC would have 10 million polygons.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The symbols under the letters are known as PETSCII.

It was used to make stuff similar to ANSI art but the variety of blocks allowed for more interesting text mode art:

http://text-mode.org/?tag=petscii

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chadbear posted:

:lmao:

This has to be peak SC.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

I still remember when they slowed it way the gently caress down. Would get into qt, go take a poo poo, get some coffee, smoke a cig, rethink my life and when i came back was still in qt. I don't think its about realism. It's about game mechanics. Imagine if fleets could bop in and out that fast. Problematic me thinks.

quote:

They're still short in their "test" mode, so they'll be longer at release again.

quote:

[–]Lethality_ 13 hours ago
This is what bothers me when they decrease things to "test" them - it gets players used to an unrealistic way of playing.

This is not a game where you switch planets like you switch WoW zones... this is not hopping on a mount. There should be cost, risk, logistics and time involved in even the "simplest" form of space travel.

You won't be sitting doing nothing for 30 minutes, but you will take 30 minutes (or more) to travel sometimes.

quote:

Okay just to have an alternate opinion, I work, I have school, if I’m playing a game I’d prefer not to spend 20 minutes doing nothing or doing something else. I don’t have a lot of free time. As more star systems come out the issue resolves itself, you can travel real fast in between planets, but going between systems is when you can smoke your cig.

quote:

I think you may want to look into other games, then. That or adjust your playstyle in this one to reduce the amount of quantum jumps you need to make. SC has a pretty particular vision and, while I'm not saying you're trying to force this (you're just stating your opinion, that's fine, and so am I), I do think it's wrong to try to force the vision of a game to change because of obligations making it more inconvenient/less enjoyable for you.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hmmm...it seems to be an Ore 64 Computer...whats a Ore 64?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

The symbols under the letters are known as PETSCII.

It was used to make stuff similar to ANSI art but the variety of blocks allowed for more interesting text mode art:

http://text-mode.org/?tag=petscii

Oh right, now I see it. I remember doing "graphics" in dos text mode from characters for tables or whatever was the original purpose