Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

little munchkin posted:

maindeck skullcrack has always seemed like a bit of a dud to me, not a lot of lifegain in game 1s and it's not going to be apparent which turn you need to be holding mana up for it

local weekly stuff is always a crapshoot when it comes to sideboarding because the meta can differ wildly from what's getting played competitively. definitely look around between rounds and get an idea of what's popular there

Word thanks. Do you think it would be worth putting some kind of graveyard hate in the sideboard. I have a couple of soul guide lanterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Burn usually doesn't need graveyard hate - you still need to draw enough burn to actually win the game, and spending a card and mana on something that doesn't do that is hard to justify.

Roiling Vortex is a way better card to bring in against Living End, and every other graveyard deck is something you'd just out-race rather than hurting your own consistency to try and interact with them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jabor posted:

Burn usually doesn't need graveyard hate - you still need to draw enough burn to actually win the game, and spending a card and mana on something that doesn't do that is hard to justify.

Roiling Vortex is a way better card to bring in against Living End, and every other graveyard deck is something you'd just out-race rather than hurting your own consistency to try and interact with them.

Cool thanks. So what I’m thinking honestly is just take out the main deck skullcracks, bring in one more land and a fourth lightning helix and put those skullcracks in the SB instead of exquisite firecraft

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cool thanks. So what I’m thinking honestly is just take out the main deck skullcracks, bring in one more land and a fourth lightning helix and put those skullcracks in the SB instead of exquisite firecraft

Makes sense to me. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Trust in psully.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Trust in psully.

Yeah, I would put a lot of faith into whatever that guy's burn list is.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

For the love of Burn play Lurrus. I didn't see it listed.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

edit: double post before having coffee.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

Trust in psully.

And watch those videos bc they are def worth your time

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Seems like Limited Resources are still shilling for crypto garbage, what are good Limited podcasts to check out?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I quit LR too. It's sucked for a long while anyway. Lords of limited is good. Haven't tried Limited Level ups but the hosts have good chops.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fatherboxx posted:

Seems like Limited Resources are still shilling for crypto garbage, what are good Limited podcasts to check out?

Lords of Limited
Limited Level-ups (this week's episode has Voxy and Amazonian guest hosting and it's completely unhinged so don't take it as a routine example of how the show normally is)
Drafting Archetypes with Sam Black

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

The crypto stuff got me to start branching out too. I started listening to Lords of Limited and it has been good. They’re strong players and have a very good flow to their conversations. Don’t get the full card by card set review if you’re looking for that but their crash course for VOW has been good

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Limited Level-ups (this week's episode has Voxy and Amazonian guest hosting and it's completely unhinged so don't take it as a routine example of how the show normally is)
Unhinged in a good way? Because that sounds like it could be fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Trust in psully.

I don't like Prismatic Ending in burn over Path. The rest of this list looks good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

The crypto stuff got me to start branching out too. I started listening to Lords of Limited and it has been good. They’re strong players and have a very good flow to their conversations. Don’t get the full card by card set review if you’re looking for that but their crash course for VOW has been good

Ethan from Lords does the card by card review with it Alex from Level-ups and its on the LLU feed, and on youtube as well if you want visuals. Also they don't split rares away from the rest, and it's 6 hours long.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

odiv posted:

Unhinged in a good way? Because that sounds like it could be fun.

I'm like 5 minutes in and it's Voxy being Voxy so I'm enjoying it yeah.

I only mentioned it before cause this episode is not representative of what you normally get from LLU, and the pod as a whole shouldn't be judged by it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I don't like Prismatic Ending in burn over Path. The rest of this list looks good.

I guess ending has the advantage of being able to hit things besides creatures but you also have shatterskull smashing for artifacts and realistically you’re not gonna hit any enchantments or planeswalkers with only two colors

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Lone Goat posted:

Lords of Limited
Drafting Archetypes with Sam Black

For lords of limited, it looks like their podcasts on the main site are quite different from their youtube collection, which is card-by-card set reviews. Are both good listening?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I guess ending has the advantage of being able to hit things besides creatures but you also have shatterskull smashing for artifacts and realistically you’re not gonna hit any enchantments or planeswalkers with only two colors

There are no relevant planeswalkers you need to kill as burn. The reason to play ending is that it kills chalice in the UW matchup but i feel like that matchup is not great even with it.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I'm not a complete newbie, but I am super inconsistent when it comes to drafting (I've probably done around 30 on Arena if I've had to guess). I've trophied a few times but I'm just as likely to 1-2 as I am 7-2. My average is probably 3-5 wins before I hit my 3 losses. What would be something good to watch/listen to for someone where I'm at?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This seems great in Najeela.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I'm not a complete newbie, but I am super inconsistent when it comes to drafting (I've probably done around 30 on Arena if I've had to guess). I've trophied a few times but I'm just as likely to 1-2 as I am 7-2. My average is probably 3-5 wins before I hit my 3 losses. What would be something good to watch/listen to for someone where I'm at?

all of the podcasts mentioned are worth checking out. i don't watch many twitch streams but pretty much anyone ranked diamond or higher is worth watching to see how they approach drafts/games. people like to meme or experiment so be careful about mimicking a streamer too closely

installing a tracker is also super helpful (17lands is the best one for limited). you can look up win rates for colors, individual cards, track your personal w/l record, etc. it'll also log your games and drafts so you can go back and review stuff, or send links to other ppl to get their input

the goon discord is also a potential resource, people stream their own drafts every now and then so you can watch people while talking to them or stream your own while getting feedback

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lord of limited seems good i just wish they'd put up their review in the actual order.. not that the order technically matters but just kinda annoying

also they just said something that i didn't know could be possible... if your opponent casts a creature that has exploit, when they choose the creature they want to exploit, you can kill that creature to deny the exploit ability due to the "whenever a creature..." being a separately stated ability...

this sounds right... but also seems non-intuitive that exploit can be basically fizzled.

edit: ah nvm i misunderstood. he's talking about the creature with exploit..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 9, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

fadam posted:

When did Wizards start leaning into this particular mechanic? I feel like there’s a card or two in all of the recent sets that lets you do something like this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Why_Hary/status/1458108173907369988?t=D_BbHp_B-kcFYRUF9fcfzA&s=19

The version that most people will see is incorrect!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TotalHell posted:

When did Wizards start leaning into this particular mechanic? I feel like there’s a card or two in all of the recent sets that lets you do something like this.
Guilds of Ravnica, I think? For years Ken Nagle was fiddling with the idea of directly taking spells out of the other players' decks and into yours as a design space (playtest name was "pwnage"), and this is what WotC eventually settled on. Black gets it, mostly.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Since it gives your creatures that ability until the end of turn, does that mean after the turn you can’t play the exiled cards anymore?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Since it gives your creatures that ability until the end of turn, does that mean after the turn you can’t play the exiled cards anymore?

No, since it says, "as long as they remain exiled."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The whole quoted text is the ability, so yeah when your creatures lose that, you lose your vector for playing them, so the cards just stay in exile forever (I’m pretty sure).

E: well I guess I could be completely wrong, lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah since Gonti you have to check every time. Grolnok from VOW templates it yet another way using croak counters.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah I checked rulings on cards with similar effects like Omenkeel and it looks like fuzzy mammal is right. Thanks!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

TacoNight posted:

For lords of limited, it looks like their podcasts on the main site are quite different from their youtube collection, which is card-by-card set reviews. Are both good listening?

the full set review is 6 hours long, while the podcast is like an hour or so, so the podcast is a lot more condensed. as such they dont really do a full set review for the podcast, its more of a primer. they go over what the main archetypes are and what their top commons and uncommons are for each color. also the podcast is done by ben and ethan, while the set reviews are done by ethan and alex, and alex is a much better card evaluator than ben is. so if you have the time and inclination you should watch the set review, otherwise just check out the podcast

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its cool but I can't help but be reminded of the toothycat generator when I read it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

So we're at 2 cards needing pre-release errata at this point?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's commander, let it trigger on everything

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tarnop posted:

the other one is a pretty easy one for people to understand. It would be really weird for a cards power to be perminantly augmented by 1.

This fundamentally changes the way the card works and is going to lead to a lot of feel bads.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder what Laurine will look like as the first piss commander in yellow.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

babypolis posted:

the full set review is 6 hours long, while the podcast is like an hour or so, so the podcast is a lot more condensed. as such they dont really do a full set review for the podcast, its more of a primer. they go over what the main archetypes are and what their top commons and uncommons are for each color. also the podcast is done by ben and ethan, while the set reviews are done by ethan and alex, and alex is a much better card evaluator than ben is. so if you have the time and inclination you should watch the set review, otherwise just check out the podcast

I listened to the crash course podcast. I liked the feeling that the hosts had already read all the cards and had an idea of what was going on in the set before starting their review. The part where they explained the mechanics wasn't useful for me, but hearing their overall thoughts on what archetypes they think are well supported was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Nope. WotC says the error is in the spoiler image. According to them, all versions of the card as printed say "creature an opponent controls."