Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reiterpallasch posted:

Doesn't having multiple spells in a trigger setup like that cause them to be cast sequentially, not all at once? Having to wait potentially .9 seconds to temp chains/enfeeble the scourge mob charging at you sounds really bad for your life expectancy. Asenath's is also incompatible with Hextouch, so that route is unfortunately not workable. I've been thinking about snapping up a temp chains + enfeeble hands of the high templar instead, but that would be...expensive.

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that each triggered spell has its own cooldown, but only one triggers per attack. Unfortunately my personal attack speed isn't that low so yeah it would take some time to get all my curses up.

HOTTH would be ideal but I definitely can't afford a dual curse pair.

I'm just sick of using Lioneye's Paws, those boots really suck. The reduced movement speed on low life is a real liability in this league.

Maybe a Bane setup would be decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Had to work late and missed logging in to sell my volls at comically high prices. :rip:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I recently got back into this after not playing since Synthesize league, and the game feels so much smoother now. Started with a necro, and almost quit because I found it so boring, but I rerolled flicker, so I'm having a blast now.

Got two questions, though: wasn't there a league between this and Ritual? Why do I see no mention of it, nor anybody talking about it at all? Only reason I know it existed is because I looked up a league list to see what I'd missed.

Also, why is there a heist mode in this game now lmao
It seems well made and a lot of effort obviously went into it, but it stands out like a sore thumb.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

Got two questions, though: wasn't there a league between this and Ritual? Why do I see no mention of it, nor anybody talking about it at all? Only reason I know it existed is because I looked up a league list to see what I'd missed.

Ultimatum league was the best league to ever exist. Every map you'd run you would make 30 chaos minimum, and all your characters were super strong and fast.

There was also Expedition league and it sucked poo poo, you were poor as dirt and everything in the game was nerfed to poo poo. So many people skipped the league or quit a week in that there was no functioning economy and it practically felt like SSF because the trade site was so barren, not that anyone could afford anything.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Zero VGS posted:

There was also Expedition league and it sucked poo poo, you were poor as dirt and everything in the game was nerfed to poo poo. So many people skipped the league or quit a week in that there was no functioning economy and it practically felt like SSF because the trade site was so barren, not that anyone could afford anything.

What the hell are you talking about?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Altared State posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

3.15 was the worst received league I've ever seen and I've been playing since beta. The lack of players made it seriously hard to trade for anything. The only way to not notice is if you happened to be SSF Spectra Shield Throw.

Nerfs aside, I guess some people like league mechanics that require a Master's Degree to interact with, i.e. Expedition/Betrayal/Harvest/Synthesis. I like stuff where I show up and more enemies appear to kill i.e. Abyss/Ritual/Ultimatum/Delirium. To each their own but they were asking for a take and I gave mine. imho

Broken Cog posted:

Also, why is there a heist mode in this game now lmao
It seems well made and a lot of effort obviously went into it, but it stands out like a sore thumb.

Heist was some good some bad.

Bad: Constantly clicking doors, enemies lining up to run a train on you the moment you open said door, pretty tedious and buggy

Good: Introduced Replica Uniques and Alt Quality Gems which are both still in the game and are great, also the true lore of the game was revealed by Niles

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 9, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

lol.

Expedition may have had a lower playerbase, but Expeditions also poo poo out currency and there was still plenty of stuff to buy on trade.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I was thinking about Ultimatum. Expedition stuff is around, but I don't think I've seen anything from that league, did any of its mechanics go core?

In other news, I made my first 10-krangled map earlier, and it ended up with "rare mobs drop 5 maps". Think I finished that with 100+ new maps in storage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zero VGS posted:

Nerfs aside, I guess some people like league mechanics that require a Master's Degree to interact with, i.e. Expedition/Betrayal/Harvest/Synthesis.

One of these things is not like the other...

Zero VGS posted:

I like stuff where I show up and more enemies appear to kill i.e. Abyss/Ritual/Ultimatum/Delirium.

If only there was a league where each encounter you had a bunch of monsters and chests that could you spawn and you got to choose what sorts of mods/rewards to get out of each encounter and the game told you in plain English what to expect...

Outside of Rog crafting, which definitely gets into the realm of Harvest/Delve crafting (also don't know why it took them so long to highlight the mods that would be affected in each offer), Expedition is pretty goddamn straightforward. And the secret to Rog crafting is to whine whenever he or Gwennen show up because they're not Tujen or Dannig but do the encounter anyway because that's another chance at a logbook.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about Ultimatum. Expedition stuff is around, but I don't think I've seen anything from that league, did any of its mechanics go core?

Expedition is still very much in the game. The only real difference between league and core implementation is that now only the reroll currencies for the 4 NPCs are items you can loot/trade. Ultimatum will be going core but GGG needed to iron out exactly how to do so.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 9, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

whypick1 posted:

Expedition is still very much in the game. The only real difference between league and core implementation is that now only the reroll currencies for the 4 NPCs are items you can loot/trade. Ultimatum will be going core but GGG needed to iron out exactly how to do so.

Sorry for the confusion, I am aware of the expedition mechanics, since you run into them regularly. I was refering to Ultimatum as the mystery league I haven't really seen anything from.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

the game told you in plain English

There's your first problem. I am here to inflict Bleed, not to Read

All the reading/clicking/thinking/planning should be relegated to PoB and weird uniques I'm equipping.

Expedition breaks up the action and flow of the game with BOTH clicking and reading, which is why it belongs with the other poo poo leagues I put it with. Also the really clever game design of "don't pick this or you'll do no damage". Almost as clever as this league's krangle maps just instantly killing characters without CI or 90% phys reduction as some of the lamest content gating since "Cant' Regenerate" map mods. But at least I can chuck those maps and just treat this league as a "more monsters" keybind.

BTW I encountered some Scourge bosses... is it normal to only be able to take like 10% of their life before I run out the blood meter? Are they just expecting me to have omega damage to beat the time limit? They seem like Delirium bosses but much more HP.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I am one of the people that actually enjoyed Synthesis league, since I found a way to set up the map for printing ilevel 86+ Shaper and elder influenced items, so I don't mind league mechanics that involve a bit of planning. I think that's one of the strengths of PoE right now, there's so many mechanics in the game, so you can kinda just choose one of them you find fun, and focus on that (though mapping will probably always be relevant).

As for the scourge bosses, I've only killed one, but it seemed to freeze the blood timer while fighting it. Maybe you were too far away?

Edit: There is no way to create synthesized gear from fractures these days, right? Which means that fractures are really only good for their unrollable attributes.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 9, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

BTW I encountered some Scourge bosses... is it normal to only be able to take like 10% of their life before I run out the blood meter? Are they just expecting me to have omega damage to beat the time limit? They seem like Delirium bosses but much more HP.

You only need to do 5% of their hp to pause the timer for 5 seconds. So the issue is your dps is poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

You only need to do 5% of their hp to pause the timer for 5 seconds. So the issue is your dps is poo poo.

I mean I did that and got the timer to pause, does it add another 5 seconds for every 5% I remove? I thought it paused it once for the first 5% and that was it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Expedition was definitely poorly recieved but I made more currency way more easily during that league it was silly. It definitely broke up the flow of the game but doing that made you rich quick.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I mean I did that and got the timer to pause, does it add another 5 seconds for every 5% I remove? I thought it paused it once for the first 5% and that was it.

5 seconds for every 5% until it's dead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

5 seconds for every 5% until it's dead.

Ah ok thanks, I had the damage, just couldn't hang in there and facetank it all yet is probably why.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they do have a ridiculous amount of HP

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a goon #global channel?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

5555, but it's usually a cesspool

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah it's not bad at all, it's pretty chill and helpful actually

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Thanks, I'll have a look when I get home. If it turns out to be too much, I'll just lurk back to where I usually hang.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there are maybe half a dozen people tops with pathetic discord vendettas that poo poo it up a handful of times per league, just don't engage with them

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

nah it's not bad at all, it's pretty chill and helpful actually

in my experience the first 10 days or so of a league its always a minefield of poop but after that its fine

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Thought I'd dip back into the PoE forums thread about the hotfix for infinite auras

I love how you can spend thousands of dollars to make your posts have W E I G H T

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

5555, but it's usually a cesspool

Still an improvement over any other global channel.

I haven't played in like two years and everything from like Legion onwards looks like That Meme Image to me, but the question I actually have isn't about any of that.

I'm playing a tri-element Wild Strike Raider, so I've allocated Elemental Equilibrium but I've ALSO just finished Act 10 and the Merciless Lab and picked up Avatar of the Veil. I know that the two exposures don't stack. What I can't quite tell is:

• When I hit with, say, fire and remove the - 25% Exposure, is it then immediately reapplied at - 20% by Veil (assuming the hit is on something nearby)? Or is it blanked out entirely?
  • Does anyone know which of this game's fifty definitions of "nearby" Veil actually uses?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping EE at all. I'm so off meta that I haven't seen a guide anywhere and I'm targeting enough different defenses off the tree (50/X block, capped spell suppress, evasion, and at least enough increased life/armour and leech/regen not to die in a stiff breeze) that every passive point I can actually devote to damage is as precious as exalts and has to pull its weight.

I honestly don't think this will be endgame viable without better gear than I have the time to farm for, but what the hell why not try? At the very least it's sturdy enough to have survived all the Part 2 bosses deathless even without having reached all the planned defense nodes, which is a good start.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Veil will immediately reapply the -20%

quote:

Avatar of the Veil has a nearby range of 60 units, confirmed by game developer Viperesque in the offical Path of exile discord server.[1]

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 9, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Oh the mythical "nearby" in PoE, ranging from faint wheeze to fullscreen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

35 challenges already lmao

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

euphronius posted:

35 challenges already lmao

Just 18 challenges so far but I'm feeling I can get the 36. Conc path totems have been great, and I have nearly finalized my endgame gearing other than rings and belt quality and maybe get an even more juiced up body armor piece.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How tanky is an unlinked Animate Guardian on a build with a smattering of defensive minion nodes? Probably about 90% increased health and 3% regen all said, not a ton but maybe better than nothing.

I have a free gem slot and I'd love to toss some cheap utility uniques on the sucker, but if I'm going to have to trade for half-a-dozen 1c items every time I visit a conqueror it's not worth the hassle.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Expedition itself was great, 3.15 had a lot of problems

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

This is a good way to put it. SST and some other meme builds saved the league for me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
playing expedition was funny because while the mechanic gave out free stuff it really did feel like playing the last week of a league or something. i think the thread mostly didnt skip it though and since i only use 5555 it didn't feel as dead as it might have otherwise.

honestly I was kind of hoping they would cave and give us another race or two like they did with heist

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
3.15 felt real lovely to play, which is a pity because Expedition is actually a good mechanic. Scourge is Delirium 2.0 if you know what you're doing and I loved Delirium so I'm having tons of fun this league and making Mad Bank.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Pretty much this.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

How tanky is an unlinked Animate Guardian on a build with a smattering of defensive minion nodes? Probably about 90% increased health and 3% regen all said, not a ton but maybe better than nothing.

I have a free gem slot and I'd love to toss some cheap utility uniques on the sucker, but if I'm going to have to trade for half-a-dozen 1c items every time I visit a conqueror it's not worth the hassle.

I'd feel uneasy running AG without at least a Minion Life support.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

:agreed:

This league feels like the opposite - some nice general QoL changes, but the league mechanic itself is kind of lame.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DaveWoo posted:

:agreed:

This league feels like the opposite - some nice general QoL changes, but the league mechanic itself is kind of lame.

The secret to Scourge is that you wanna run scourged maps and treat it like a Delirium you can go in and out of, it's very profitable if you run maps that drop stuff like Scarabs, Splinters, etc. Like, multiple exs per hour profitable if you have a good setup.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Just 18 challenges so far but I'm feeling I can get the 36. Conc path totems have been great, and I have nearly finalized my endgame gearing other than rings and belt quality and maybe get an even more juiced up body armor piece.

Im glad you like CP totems. Just the best. I should have done them again this league. But Im trying SSF and who knows how to find those uniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

euphronius posted:

Im glad you like CP totems. Just the best. I should have done them again this league. But Im trying SSF and who knows how to find those uniques.

Gwennen, mythic taints?