Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It takes ages to get tuberculosis. One guideline for what counts as significant exposure to tuberculosis is fifteen hours of face‐to‐face contact. Contrast that with SARS‐CoV‐2 where it’s officially fifteen minutes, but unofficially much less than that.

The only reason that TB’s basic reproductive number is as high as it is is that people remain contagious for months or years. When health authorities find cases of active tuberculosis, they have historically locked people up in state hospitals. You may be allowed home isolation today.

Tuberculosis is about as different from COVID‐19 as it is possible for a contagious respiratory disease to get.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rosalind posted:

Nuh uh don't put awful loving words like that in my mouth. I'm a goddamn HIV researcher.

I was thinking specifically of certain groups of truck drivers in Sub-Saharan African that have incredibly and tragically high prevalences of HIV as well as certain groups of IV meth users in the US where many of them seroconvert due to sharing needles.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying, and sorry my question came off hostile I was just confused because I've heard that opinion a lot!

And yeah I knew your comment wasn't pro-challenge trials

Platystemon posted:

It’s gotten three‐fifths of the U.S. to date.

For every ten infections reported, thirty‐two go unreported.
Still not close to "all" but yeah point taken.

Although if we're talking about challenge trials for vaccines, by the time vaccines were readily available to every American in the summer less than half of Americans had been infected even if 3/4 of cases go undetected, so it was still more likely than not that you could get vaccinated before you got infected.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The NBA is once again at the vanguard of public health policy.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1457410772666044417

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did this get missed or am I just out of the loop from taking the weekend away from plague news?

https://twitter.com/Ocugen/status/1456572424934330375?t=4l4neYhyMzRcY2J3xVm9IA&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So everyone doesn’t have to look that up, Ocugen is also known as Covaxin. It’s an inactivated virus vaccine that India has been using for months.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Platystemon posted:

So everyone doesn’t have to look that up, Ocugen is also known as Covaxin. It’s an inactivated virus vaccine that India has been using for months.

I really wish an inactivated / protein vax would get approved, it could convince a lot of anti-mrna-vaxxers (obviously not all, but every bit helps).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Damnit meant to mention that, ty.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

pidan posted:

I really wish an inactivated / protein vax would get approved, it could convince a lot of anti-mrna-vaxxers (obviously not all, but every bit helps).

I mean I wish that too, but inactivated (Sputnik) and protein (AZ, J&J) are available for people doubting the mRNA (depending on country of course, but some form of non-mRNA should have been available). Those that still refuse had the chance to get some kind of non-mRNA, but still refuse.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'd be curious what boosting with an attenuated virus vaccine does after a couple shots of an mRNA. I feel like *if* there is a hope of some long lasting immunity it's going to come from some jungle juice concoction of shots.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Are there actually any k/n95 masks for sale on amazon which aren't fake or non-cdc-approved?

I can't order from the sites posted in the op since they don't ship internationally.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

tuo posted:

I mean I wish that too, but inactivated (Sputnik) and protein (AZ, J&J) are available for people doubting the mRNA (depending on country of course, but some form of non-mRNA should have been available). Those that still refuse had the chance to get some kind of non-mRNA, but still refuse.

Sputnik, AZ, and J&J are all adenoviral vector vaccines, not inactivated/protein.

Novovax is an example of a protein subunit vaccine.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Just got an APHIS announcement that there were two confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection in spotted hyenas in a zoo in Colorado.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

cr0y posted:

Did this get missed or am I just out of the loop from taking the weekend away from plague news?

https://twitter.com/Ocugen/status/1456572424934330375?t=4l4neYhyMzRcY2J3xVm9IA&s=19

I am dumb.

Is a 526-kid trial typical, or on the small side?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Insanite posted:

I am dumb.

It's on the smaller side. Pfizer's under 11 phase 2/3 study is 2,268 participants (https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results), for instance. Moderna's is targeted at 13,275 but still recruiting it seems (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04796896)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I scheduled a booster shot online with a pharmacy chain and there were no questions about qualifications. The site initially asked about my vaccination status and I had to indicate that I wanted a booster, not the first round of vaccination. I got all the way through, no questions about qualifying. The appointment just says "Moderna" and doesn't indicate that it's a booster.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Both my fiancé and I received our boosters (and flu shots!) on Friday from Walgreens. The website does ask about qualifications and the paperwork does as well, but nothing about specifics. I had no side effects but my fiancé got intensely sick on Saturday. Our two initial shots were Pfizer and the booster was Pfizer as well. Next time we have to boost, we may go to CVS for Moderna and mix it up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Sputnik, AZ, and J&J are all adenoviral vector vaccines, not inactivated/protein.

Novovax is an example of a protein subunit vaccine.

This explains why I've now seen boomers in Australia who were "waiting for Pfizer" instead switch to "waiting for Novavax"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

freebooter posted:

This explains why I've now seen boomers in Australia who were "waiting for Pfizer" instead switch to "waiting for Novavax"

Part of me hopes the US approves at least one old-school inactivated or subunit vaccine, for people who don't trust either of the new types.

But another part of me recognizes that I'm trying to assign reasonableness to an unreasonable belief. Very few antivaxxers would go for this option. :(

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Insanite posted:

I am dumb.

Rosalind posted:

It's on the smaller side. Pfizer's under 11 phase 2/3 study is 2,268 participants (https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results), for instance. Moderna's is targeted at 13,275 but still recruiting it seems (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04796896)

Note that the goal here is a little bit different than with the initial phase 3 trials. From Pfizer's press release:

quote:

he Phase 1/2/3 trial initially enrolled up to 4,500 children ages 6 months to 11 years of age in the United States, Finland, Poland, and Spain from more than 90 clinical trial sites. It was designed to evaluate the safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on a two-dose schedule (approximately 21 days apart) in three age groups: ages 5 to 11 years; ages 2 to 5 years; and ages 6 months to 2 years.

and from Moderna's submitted protocol:

quote:

This is a Phase 2/3 ... expansion study intended to infer the effectiveness of mRNA-1273 in children aged 6 months to less than 12 years.

These trials are powered to test the immune response (antibody levels, etc.) and assess the rate of adverse events. Since the vaccines have already been shown to be effective in adults the plan seems to be to infer effectiveness in children from immune response rather than enrolling enough children and taking a long enough time for enough of them to be infected in order to precisely estimate vaccine efficacy. That minimizes both the size and duration of the trials. VE is still a secondary outcome in the Moderna trial, at least, and they may have a sufficient sample size (depending on COVID transmission rates in study locations).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 9, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Part of me hopes the US approves at least one old-school inactivated or subunit vaccine, for people who don't trust either of the new types.

But another part of me recognizes that I'm trying to assign reasonableness to an unreasonable belief. Very few antivaxxers would go for this option. :(

I think there's a reasonable chance that Novovax will submit in the US, but they don't seem to be in any rush to. They officially submitted for approval in Canada a week ago, and it's likely they'll get the go ahead from the EU, UK, Japan, India, etc... in the near future as well.

e: Actually double checking they're apparently planning to submit to the FDA by the end of the year.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Because my mother is afraid of everything she refused to get vaccinated, and also made sure that my father was too afraid to get vaccinated. They live in AZ where COVID compliance is poor so they have been stuck in their house this entire time. I did my best to convince them to get vaccinated to no avail. They're both elderly and sickly, the people who are most likely to die from COVID.

Now my father has a heart arrhythmia and my mom's taking him to the ER. They are both terrified and it's too late to do anything about it.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

KinkyJohn posted:

Are there actually any k/n95 masks for sale on amazon which aren't fake or non-cdc-approved?

I can't order from the sites posted in the op since they don't ship internationally.

The best way to avoid fake ones is to order them from BeHealthyUSA.com or another site linked in the OP (of this or the C-Spam Covid thread).

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

KinkyJohn posted:

What country are you in? I know Masklab ships internationally but they are quite expensive

poll plane variant fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 9, 2021

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Because my mother is afraid of everything she refused to get vaccinated, and also made sure that my father was too afraid to get vaccinated. They live in AZ where COVID compliance is poor so they have been stuck in their house this entire time. I did my best to convince them to get vaccinated to no avail. They're both elderly and sickly, the people who are most likely to die from COVID.

Now my father has a heart arrhythmia and my mom's taking him to the ER. They are both terrified and it's too late to do anything about it.

It's not too late; they could inquire about getting vaccinations while they're there. My hospital will offer doses to anyone who comes in. I mean, they're in a different state but it's entirely possible that that hospital can at least get them on the right track so they can get vaccinated somewhere before it is too late.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

poll plane variant posted:

What country are you in? I know Masklab ships internationally but they are quite expensive

In South Africa. Welp the shipping cost more than the masks, but I guess that's what I have to pay if I want guaranteed non-counterfeit masks. At least they look nice.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Are the COVID-19 vaccines currently used in the US real? Do they afford protection above and beyond NPIs?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Are the COVID-19 vaccines currently used in the US real? Do they afford protection above and beyond NPIs?

... yes, definitely. Maybe a good mask and distancing could provide as much protection as the vaccines, but you don't necessarily always control that (e.g. if you need to go to the hospital). Getting a vaccine is pretty easy.

They're definitely less good than we thought in spring, probably at least in part because of Delta. But they're still good!

E: there have been some incidents of anti vax nurses giving fake, vaccines, but that's probably less than one in a million vaccines.

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 9, 2021

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah if you're going to post in this thread, I think you should have to explain why you're an anti-vaxxer if you want anyone to take you seriously.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rosalind posted:

Yeah if you're going to post in this thread, I think you should have to explain why you're an anti-vaxxer if you want anyone to take you seriously.

There feels like a weird double standard that antivax posts are allowed as long as they are specifically doomer.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rosalind posted:

Saying “vaccines aren’t perfect and we still need NPIs to beat this” is not an anti-vax position.

edit: Oh you said more than that...

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 9, 2021

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Saying “vaccines aren’t perfect and we still need NPIs to beat this” is not an anti-vax position.

Saying you wonder if they even are real and calling them "rushed" certainly is though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It seems like a fair use of the English language to describe a feat accomplished in a quarter of the time of the last record holder (the mumps vaccine) as “rushed”.

It may have negative connotations, but it is also literally true.

Can I call the vaccine cheap? Twenty dollars a dose is the deal of the century.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's dumb dude and I think you know it

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Platystemon posted:

It seems like a fair use of the English language to describe a feat accomplished in a quarter of the time of the last record holder (the mumps vaccine) as “rushed”.

It may have negative connotations, but it is also literally true.

Can I call the vaccine cheap? Twenty dollars a dose is the deal of the century.

I mean whatever you need to tell yourself to help you feel better about defending this person I guess. Personally, I know that a person wondering if a vaccine is real and then calling it rushed in the same sentence is expressing a position indistinguishable from many anti-vaxxers.

Like if your Aunt Karen was on Facebook saying the vaccine isn't real and they rushed it, would you be defending her? But it's ok now because it's on the Something Awful Forums instead?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Yeah, why is an anti-vaxxer allowed to post here? What the hell is going on?

Why won't you explain yourself, PPV?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Webster's dictionary defines rushed as

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone in this thread has said dumb things at one time or another.

I recall that Rosalind had some exceedingly eyebrow‐raising takes about masks.

PPV has said a lot of stuff that I am honestly surprised he hasn’t been probed for, but saying that the vaccines were rushed isn’t one of them.

One reason for this might be that he hasn’t actually used that word in this thread. 🤔

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The vaccines' real-world performance and the effectiveness of piecemeal NPIs all seem pretty debatable in the face of Delta just cycling back and forth with waves of pretty much identical size everywhere, whether you're Florida or Singapore. It really seems like the only way to put a dent in this disease is the China/Taiwan/HK approach which obviously won't be repeated elsewhere. Obviously individuals should get vaccinated and wear properly fitting N95 or equivalent masks, but the vaccines really don't seem to be putting a dent in this either.

Maybe we're starting to be able to pick out lower ifr in high vax countries with big waves (Denmark), but even testing is ideologically aligned with vaccines so a high vaccine rate area seems like it will inevitably catch more asymptomatic cases by surveillance testing vs a "covid isn't real" jurisdiction.

The global spread of American ideological polarization is incredibly frustrating when trying to pick anything out of the numbers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think I'm going to try to get my booster on Friday so I can zonk on Saturday. Fill me up with miracle juice, por favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Everyone in this thread has said dumb things at one time or another.

I recall that Rosalind had some exceedingly eyebrow‐raising takes about masks.

PPV has said a lot of stuff that I am honestly surprised he hasn’t been probed for, but saying that the vaccines were rushed isn’t one of them.

One reason for this might be that he hasn’t actually used that word in this thread. 🤔

GBS gave you an avatar for being so antivax fake news. It's not shocking you are the guy defending the open antivaxxer